(shouting)

YouTube Stuff (mostly the management screwing up AMIRITE)

here's a good place for FRIENDLY, ENJOYABLE, and otherwise very GENERAL discussion!
Zha Hong Lang
"HTMI - Hyper Text Markup Interface"
First name: ZHL
Pronouns: Male

Re: YouTube Stuff (mostly the management screwing up AMIRITE)

Post by Zha Hong Lang »

Alice wrote:Speaking of Youtube, is anyone else having an issue where the notifications pane refuses to load anything? It's been like this for like two weeks or so for me and nothing I do seems to affect it.
While I don't have it right now, I've had this problem in the past. My pane has had this same disease with varying symptoms; sometimes it'll get stuck forever on the loading screen, sometimes it'll try to display the notifications but then give up and say "All caught up!" whenever a split second ago it was trying to display something, and sometimes it doesn't pull up at all.

Usually, I just don't use youtube notifications at all. Using umatrix, (a more advanced version of noscript basically) I've found out that youtube uses a ton of cookies, offsite scripts, and XHRs just to power that one little notification bell, which doesn't make me very pleased to use it because I'd rather just load everything else on the page to make things quicker, and then check my email for "notifications."
(Formerly Jayoshi)
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Jayoshi wrote:While I don't have it right now, I've had this problem in the past. My pane has had this same disease with varying symptoms; sometimes it'll get stuck forever on the loading screen, sometimes it'll try to display the notifications but then give up and say "All caught up!" whenever a split second ago it was trying to display something, and sometimes it doesn't pull up at all.

Usually, I just don't use youtube notifications at all. Using umatrix, (a more advanced version of noscript basically) I've found out that youtube uses a ton of cookies, offsite scripts, and XHRs just to power that one little notification bell, which doesn't make me very pleased to use it because I'd rather just load everything else on the page to make things quicker, and then check my email for "notifications."
I seem to consistently get the loading screen and none of the other issues. And it doesn't appear to be Ghostery/NoScript because I temporarily disabled them on Youtube, cleared my cookies, and logged back in and still have the issue. I'd say it seems to be something on their end but if it was you'd think they'd have noticed by now. I use notifications just to keep track of replies to comments I make, mostly on Iso's videos.

I'm going to look into that uMatrix deal though. That looks like it actually has some stuff I've thought NoScript would be better off with so thanks for mentioning it.
Zha Hong Lang
"HTMI - Hyper Text Markup Interface"
First name: ZHL
Pronouns: Male

Post by Zha Hong Lang »

Alice wrote:I seem to consistently get the loading screen and none of the other issues. And it doesn't appear to be Ghostery/NoScript because I temporarily disabled them on Youtube, cleared my cookies, and logged back in and still have the issue.
Yeah, I'd get my issues even when loading without any plugins whatsoever. That's how my browsers used to be for quite a while, before I found Ghostery, uMatrix and such to be very useful.
I'd say it seems to be something on their end but if it was you'd think they'd have noticed by now. I use notifications just to keep track of replies to comments I make, mostly on Iso's videos.
Sometimes I like to think of it as something that comes from a place in the middle, not exactly their end but not really ours either. I guess that's mostly just a side effect of me living in Vietnam for so long, a lot of my previous internet issues come from things such as ping and blinking internet service. Also government censorship, but it's only been for one website (facebook) during very particular times, and even then it's nothing a proxy couldn't fix.

As for notifications, I literally have everything google notifies the bell for directed at my email as well, so I don't bother with checking the website that much anymore. I also have video updates directed at email, which isn't particularly good but while I don't know how to get RSS right now I'll use that instead.
I'm going to look into that uMatrix deal though. That looks like it actually has some stuff I've thought NoScript would be better off with so thanks for mentioning it.
uMatrix is a lot better than noscript indeed. I really appreciate how it can read each individual aspect of the website scripts, and let you decide which ones to allow.
(Formerly Jayoshi)
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Haven't listened to the whole thing, but what I have has been a good listen.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Piter Lauchy
Suitable for all Buddy purposes
First name: Merlin

Post by Piter Lauchy »

I don't think that concerns tags like raocow does them. It quite clearly says "spam" and "video description", neither of which racow does.
Maybe it's better to be safe than sorry, but I really don't want to see the whacky tags go. The're a staple of his channel.
You're awesome.
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

8flight wrote:
raocow wrote:ping
This thing might be important for your channel in the future
I found a link that regards unnecessary tags that don't relate to the video:
I don't want your channel to get shut down.

http://www.fullscreen.com/2015/01/14/do ... -tag-spam/
Do you really believe raocow reads his notifications

TheFinalSentinel
Low rates,%Percent%signs%, I dunno
First name: £ٌœ'ƒھ‡ح¼円Qف-‹";ôىù♪ïظ§»ھ
https://thefinalsentinel.talkhaus.com/

Post by TheFinalSentinel »

So apparently now, if you click a timestamp from the comments while watching a playlist, it kicks you out of the playlist.

I was catching up on some AGDQ stuff I missed, and noticed that for some reason I wasn't in the playlist anymore.
I click the timestamp from the comments for when the run starts, and notice that an entirely new page is loading instead of the usual where it just jumps to that timestamp.
As a result, I'm no longer in the playlist anymore.

Thanks YouTube. Doing a really good job there as always.
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bC3NIdiZF_E

Apparently youtube changed their policies in a way that getting one strike takes away monetization. Also channels are being randomly deleted and stuff.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Can we like get a class action lawsuit on Youtube to teach it a lesson?
Telamon
TO PROTECT PENGUIN MACHINE MERGED THE TRAINING MAN.

Post by Telamon »

I think an anti-trust lawsuit against google is more likely.
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Not sure there's much anyone can do when Youtube can just say they're abiding by the Online Copyright Infringement Liability Limitation Act.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Okay, we really need to get some official policies in here on certain things. Let's Plays and Reaction videos are not things to be trademarked by companies, Sony and Fine Bros., especially when neither of you are even the original makers of said concepts.
Alice

Post by Alice »

I've been noticing a weird deal with Youtube lately. If Youtube's refusing to load videos at a reasonable speed, if I open up the "stats for nerds" dialog then it will nearly always start loading at a reasonable speed and maintain that speed until the end of the video.
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Good discussion regarding the recent YouTube Dramas: https://youtu.be/WgPAYEqOwGg?t=1m45s
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

Is any one else having trouble pausing videos? It keeps unpausing itself either immediately or after a couple seconds and that's very annoying.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Did Youtube bring back the double-right-click (or even single-right-click now) to show a loop option?

Time to throw tomatoes in public at whoever thought it was smart to remove that feature
QubicTom
Pleasantly Confused
First name: Tom

Post by QubicTom »

Getting copyright claims from Nintendo is fine, and I now know how to avoid it (thanks for the advice, raocow!). But today I got two claims on a video over the exact same section of video! The "review claim" video timestamps almost entirely overlap, with one starting 4 seconds before the other, but ending near the same time.

Also, "visual content" claims on custom SMW maps is kinda creepy.
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

So, TeamFourStar's Youtube channel got unceremoniously taken down by YouTube last night. They're the guys that do the DBZ Abridged series, among others.

http://attackofthefanboy.com/news/teamf ... n-youtube/
http://www.theouthousers.com/index.php/ ... -star.html

EDIT:
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

ano0maly wrote:Image
i don't get it
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
Telamon
TO PROTECT PENGUIN MACHINE MERGED THE TRAINING MAN.

Post by Telamon »

Ivy wrote:i don't get it
youtube is shitty to content creators unless they're named pewdiepie.
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

Telamon wrote:
Ivy wrote:i don't get it
youtube is shitty to content creators unless they're named pewdiepie.
judging by this thread, most people consider youtube to be shitty, even if they are just watching videos
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
Whimsical Calamari
i am the one that sings the chorus when you hum in the shower

Post by Whimsical Calamari »

youtube's always been terrible
that's why nobody uses it anymore
ImageImage Image ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

YouTube doesn't have much incentive to improve since gaming videos are pretty much there, Dailymotion, or hosted on other people's sites now. Vimeo dropped out early, and Viddler gave up a couple of years back. They have a near-monopoly going, and they spent way too much time adding features people didn't want (One Channel, Google+ integration) than actually improving the site. That said, their player has vastly improved from the early days, so I'll give them that.
Alice

Post by Alice »

Bean wrote:They have a near-monopoly going, and they spent way too much time adding features people didn't want (One Channel, Google+ integration) than actually improving the site.
Sounds just like Steam, lol.