(shouting)

DT3 - raocow and the game that ended

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Re: DT3 - raocow, the protector of drill bots

Post by pholtos »

What is a piles of secret?
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

That last room today and, I think, one other later in the gate are probably my favorites in the game up until the point I ended up stopping playing. (Which was on the way to the next gate after this one.)
Piter Lauchy
Suitable for all Buddy purposes
First name: Merlin

Post by Piter Lauchy »

pholtos wrote:What is a piles of secret?
We don't talk about it.
You're awesome.
NegativeZeroZ
The Living Travesty

Post by NegativeZeroZ »

The area of this game that would best compare to Black Rock Fortress in terms of the game's overall structure hasn't shown up yet, and I'm not gonna say when it will. You'll know when you do get to it though; it definitely leaves an impression, one distinctly unique to DT the third.

Access Gate 3

is the only Gate in the game that

explicitly requires you to go back with abilities acquired from later Gates to get every item. You can revisit regularly if you like, or if you want to get everything in one revisit, come back after completing

Access Gate 6.

The Holy Water explosion dealing more damage than the actual bottle was something that arose from the Demo that I pestered Zephyr to add to the game. In the Demo, the bottle was Special type and the explosion was Elemental, so the explosion did more damage to some of Gate 3's enemies. When the Holy Water was changed to consistently do Elemental damage, I bugged Zephyr to make the explosion deal more damage because I missed the benefit of that added precision. Finally he did, and when he watched me fight

the final boss

on Skype, he saw me doing it all the time. My MLG Holy Water strats were actually too good, so the boss got an added behavior pattern just to counter it.
Dark Hunter

Post by Dark Hunter »

A platforming segment which requires both speed and precision wherein a single mistake is fatal?

Okay, NOW the game is really starting to feel like Distorted Travesty. :D
Lostsoldier20
I am.

Post by Lostsoldier20 »

NegativeZeroZ wrote:Access Gate 3

explicitly requires you to go back with abilities acquired from later Gates to get every item.
Wait what?
Even the chest hidden above the bike section of Sigma 1 and the heart piece during the first Ridley chase? I maybe could have barely made it to the chest if I tried really hard without double jump, but the heart piece I have no idea.

Piter Lauchy wrote:
pholtos wrote:What is a piles of secret?
We don't talk about it.
Have at you!
I'm an idiot who likes vidya games.
And also maybe makes bad decisions based on those vidya games.
WhattayaBrian

Post by WhattayaBrian »

Lostsoldier20 wrote:

explicitly requires you to go back with abilities acquired from later Gates to get every item.
Wait what?
Even the chest hidden above the bike section of Sigma 1 and the heart piece during the first Ridley chase? I maybe could have barely made it to the chest if I tried really hard without double jump, but the heart piece I have no idea.
He is counting the "chip restrictions lifted" section immediately after as being part of the initial run-through, which is reasonable and makes the claim very true. The Sigma 1 bike section just needs a bomb and a Hurricane Backdash, and the Ridley heart piece just needs Jerry, since you can strike chain the floater dudes.
If you read this post and thought "Wow, what a swell guy, I sure would like to hear his voice and also watch videogames?" then do I have a link for you.

Current Game: Distorted Travesty 3
Sebby19

Re: DT3 - raocow, the pin cushion

Post by Sebby19 »

Those better not be the stairs to Dracula. They are facing the wrong way!
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

I think you mentioned your Super Castlevania 4 nostalgia during the DT1 let's play but I don't remember if you also brought that up during the Symphony of the Night LP last year.

Unlike in SotN, Claire-senpai's holy water can hit enemies directly as a projectile, with the flame eruption occuring as a secondary effect only if it hits an object or a wall before hitting an enemy. So you can just lob the holy hand grenade at foes or use trickshots to hit things with the area-of-effect damage. It's quite useful when you're up against a wall with an enemy above.

Do get into habit of collecting the candle hearts. Right now your heart capacity is pretty low, and unlike the Link set, both of your nonmelee Belmont set weapons share the same ammo pool. This set becomes rather impotent when you run out. It's hard to do much with Belmont with a low heart capacity, so it helps that there are plenty of candles littered in this gate to make up for it; meanwhile you would build up your heart count with capacity items as you play the gate.
ZephyrBurst
A Bird Cat
Pronouns: He

Post by ZephyrBurst »

For the next video's boss, raocow may or may not mute the volume. Content ID flagged Stink's LP of that, but not certain others. Also for the area about 1.5 zones away (you guys know what I mean by that) I sent raocow a replacement music file for that area since it always content IDs from what I've noticed from LPers. No amount of audio distortion seems to make 'Tragic Prince' go unnoticed by the almighty Konami-sensors, at least not until it's some distorted mess. And I figured just avoid it altogether for this since I'm well aware of it.

The replacement music? Well, we'll keep that a secret until it comes up. I chose it because it (maybe not that exact mix of it) was a contender for the area after that, which I'll mention when it comes up. STUFF!!
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

When I was a child, I was very surprised to learn that the holy water in Castlevania was actually supposed to be holy water. The first time I played the game, an older cousin had helpfully explained to me that they were supposed to be Molotov cocktails, and I believed him, due to general childhood suggestibility combined with the fact that the contents of the bottles explode into a great flame upon contact with a hard surface, a trait which is more common among incendiary bombs than water which a clergy member has pronounced a blessing over. I still sort of feel that this is the more logical explanation for the weapon.
DullahanDodgeman
The Incompetent

Post by DullahanDodgeman »

I got that power up thingy on that platform in the dagger room a lot earlier than I feel like I should have. I went back for it after gate 4 but I could have gotten it at the end of gate 3 if I wanted. Also I still have a lot of clean up to do in Castlevania Town Place, probably because I need to break some walls. Also those two things at the tops of the pillars in one of the first rooms I have no idea how to get yet. And a lot of other things.
Is this the spot where I place my order for a large pizza?
Stink Terios

Post by Stink Terios »

WhattayaBrian wrote:
Lostsoldier20 wrote:

Wait what?
He is counting the "chip restrictions lifted" section immediately after as being part of the initial run-through, which is reasonable and makes the claim very true. The Sigma 1 bike section just needs a bomb and a Hurricane Backdash, and the Ridley heart piece just needs Jerry, since you can strike chain the floater dudes.
WHAT.
Let's just say I did something way sillier!

In regards to ContentID shenanigoes, Tragic Prince didn't trigger it in my LP, bafflingly enough.
Lostsoldier20
I am.

Post by Lostsoldier20 »

WhattayaBrian wrote:
Yeah that's why I said if I tried harder I could get the Sigma item. But the heart... I had no idea you could Strike Chain those things! I figured it was just simple platforming until I learned they had complete contact damage, so even trying Strike Chain never occurred to me. I just spammed Sword+Jump...
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

ZephyrBurst wrote:For the next video's boss, raocow may or may not mute the volume. Content ID flagged Stink's LP of that, but not certain others. Also for the area about 1.5 zones away (you guys know what I mean by that) I sent raocow a replacement music file for that area since it always content IDs from what I've noticed from LPers. No amount of audio distortion seems to make 'Tragic Prince' go unnoticed by the almighty Konami-sensors, at least not until it's some distorted mess. And I figured just avoid it altogether for this since I'm well aware of it.

The replacement music? Well, we'll keep that a secret until it comes up. I chose it because it (maybe not that exact mix of it) was a contender for the area after that, which I'll mention when it comes up. STUFF!!
So, if I'm understanding this right, I should make sure konami music doesn't get used in any A2XT levels.
Last edited by SAJewers 8 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
gamercal

Post by gamercal »

Lostsoldier20 wrote:
WhattayaBrian wrote:
Yeah that's why I said if I tried harder I could get the Sigma item. But the heart... I had no idea you could Strike Chain those things! I figured it was just simple platforming until I learned they had complete contact damage, so even trying Strike Chain never occurred to me. I just spammed Sword+Jump...
I kinda intuited the Strike Chain thing personally. I knew from past experience that the Grapple Beam worked on those guys, and I kinda figured that this game's equivalent was the strike Chain, so I tried it and hey presto :D. Kudos for chain jumping up there though xD
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

I'm surprised that SotN music became such an issue, and yet I can find on Youtube videos of just the music playing without any sounds added.
AuraLancer
AKA Uncle Aura

Post by AuraLancer »

Yes, but those videos are blocked in Germany. Also, they probably aren't monetized.
ZephyrBurst
A Bird Cat

Post by ZephyrBurst »

Stink Terios wrote:In regards to ContentID shenanigoes, Tragic Prince didn't trigger it in my LP, bafflingly enough.
Complete opposite from everyone else. You are a wizard!

So at work yesterday, I was thinking about these content ID shenanigans. I thought about giving raocow a Touhou theme as a replacement for Dracula due to his title card. Then I desired to remix the fight itself to be a proper Danmakula. It won't happen, but there sure were a lot of fireballs pictured.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Lostsoldier20
I am.

Post by Lostsoldier20 »

What is a man?!
*glassglassglassglassglassglassglassglassglassglassglassglassglassglassglassglassglassglassglassglassglass*

I love how raocow accidentally activated a switch... then spent a good 10 seconds wondering how to activate it... Its normal but still pretty great.

As annoying as some of this area is to backtrack through when looking for missed items, I really like how this next section is setup map-wise. It feels very SotN, which is fitting for the environment.
Piter Lauchy
Suitable for all Buddy purposes
First name: Merlin

Post by Piter Lauchy »

Jerry and Claire start to become friendlier. They're totally gonna end up back together at the end of this, right?
Not a big fan of the "We make mean comments about each other every chance we get and hate each other's guts, but suddenly we're in love because adventures" trope.
You're awesome.
ZephyrBurst
A Bird Cat

Post by ZephyrBurst »

Grounder, that's really the only music that one could choose for such an occasion.
Validon98
Echoing Birdsong
Pronouns: they/them

Post by Validon98 »

Dracula decided that his I Wanna Be the Guy incarnation wasn't doing it right and brought out a million glasses to throw at Claire.

Meanwhile, we have the Marble Gallery again. It's been... a long while since raocow LPed SotN huh? I'm surprised content ID isn't freaking out over the original music for it being used in any way.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but the heart meter thing I think is from Aria of Sorrow? I haven't played it in forever so I don't remember exactly but it seems pretty familiar.
Because Touhou OCs can in fact exist, sounds fake I know.

I can't change my username but I go by Vali/Claire now (aka call me Vali or Claire at your leisure ^^).

I never update this currently playing section anymore, it's probably an RPG or something.

Strawberry Bose Partial Translations and Patches!
NegativeZeroZ
The Living Travesty

Post by NegativeZeroZ »

Not much to say at this juncture except that the game is going to get very DTesque, very soon.