(shouting)

JUMP - Let's meet again at JUMP½

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
lolyoshi
don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk.

JUMP - Let's meet again at JUMP½

Post by lolyoshi »

Taking the host for this thread (first time!) since I had some involvement in this project.
If you have NO idea what JUMP is:

"This hack started as a small collab lead by aterraformer to be mostly vanilla with modern ASM technologies, very inspired by the original VIPs. It later expanded to much larger proportions and was headed by worldpeace (Cool|Cruel creator and winner of the 8th Annual VLDC). Some levels still retain the original feel, while many others have embraced more chocolate aspects."

basically, a vip not by the japanese.

Episodes:
- 1 - Mushroom Mix-Up
- 2 - Buried Treasure
- 3 - Tightrope Treachery
- 4 - Filet Relay
- 5 - Sky Pilots
- 6 - Honeycomb Havoc
- 7 - Hey, Batter, Batter
- 8 - The Beat Goes On
- 9 - Game Guy's Sweet Surprise
- 10 - Frigid Bridges
- 11 - Snowball Summit
- 12 - Water Whirled
- 13 - Mario's Puzzle Party
- 14 - Time Bomb
- 15 - Ghost Guess
- 16 - Swinging with Sharks
- 17 - Stardust Battle
- 18 - Curtain Call
- 19 - Ice Rink Risk
- 20 - Fish n'Drips
- 21 - Take a Breather
- 22 - Fruits of Doom
- 23 - Paths of Peril
- 24 - Archaeologuess
- 25 - Blame It on the Crane
- 26 - Order Up
- 27 - Get a Rope
- 28 - Big Top Drop
- 29 - Wind Wavers
- 30 - Frozen Frenzy
- 31 - Tube It or Lose It
- 32 - Beam Team
- 33 - Pump 'n' Jump
- 34 - Be My Chum!
- 35 - Bus Buffer!
- 36 - Bill Blasters
- 37 - Cash Flow
- 38 - Gimme a Brake
- 39 - Black Hole Boogie
- 40 - Pit Boss
- 41 - Boo'd Off the Stage
- 42 - Slot Trot
- 43 - Crate and Peril
- 44 - O-Zone
- 45 - Seer Terror
- 46 - Garden Grab
- 47 - Jump, Man
- 48 - Track & Yield
- 49 - Easy Pickings
- 50! - Ghost in the Hall
- 51 - Weight for It
- 52 - Hop-O-Matic 4000
- 53 - World Piece
- 54 - Spin Off
- 55 - Funstacle Course!
- 56 - Bowser's Lovely Lift!
- 57 - Slot-O-Whirl!
- 58 - Mountain Mountin'
- 59 - Ninja Vision
- 60 - I Came, I saw
- 61 - Fries With That?
- 62 - Praise or Haze II
- 63 - Dungeon Dilemma
- 64 - Mirror Mirror
- 65 - Assembly Line
- 66 - Alien Laser Hero
- 67 - Hare Scare
- 68 - Scoot or Die
- 69- Raaaarrrrggghh
- 70 - Spare Me
- 71 - FINAL - Ultra Machine
Last edited by lolyoshi 8 years ago, edited 83 times in total.
Ryrir
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: JUMP - It's a talkhaus collab without demo in it.

Post by Ryrir »

Here is a download link, in case anyone wants to play along
(read: you totally should play along, this hack is awesome)

I am so hyped about this, it's going to be so freakin' great I can already tell...

Maybe I'll be able to provide exciting behind-the-scenes information as the only "external" beta tester of the game but probably not lol

Also, can I make a request? Can we have listening sessions on the overworld a la ASMT at the end of the videos? The songs that play are not original compositions like in ASMT, but they were ported by worldpeace specifically for this hack, and they're all freaking amazing, so yeah... Pretty please?

Edit - More links that might be of interest:

Here is a link to the official soundtrack of the game! era64 went through the trouble to compile a zip-file with all the custom songs used in the hack! Many of them already existed before the creation of JUMP, but there are more than a few that were ported by peeps like worldpeace or mellonpizza specifically for this hack! To play the songs, you'll need a media player that can play SPC files - This one is free and doesn't require installation.

Here is a list of all levels (including difficulty and authors) created by worldpeace. Note that the scale is in log, so a level rated "2" is twice as hard as a level rated "1". This list contains huge spoilers though, so be warned!
Last edited by Ryrir 8 years ago, edited 5 times in total.
this is getting laundromatic
QubicTom
Pleasantly Confused
First name: Tom

Post by QubicTom »

This is going to be AMAZING! I'm also looking forward to "comparing notes" between my playthrough and raocow's playthrough, especially on the puzzle levels. And especially on the platforming levels. Actually, just everything, I want to see how he does in everything :D (I game overed in 1-1, just to highlight the contrast in our playing abilities). I encourage everyone who likes these hacks to play along! :)
LHB

Post by LHB »

Considering how well VIP 2 went, raocow will probably make short work of this honestly.
Last edited by LHB 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
nathanisbored

Post by nathanisbored »

JUMP is basically the first romhack I played in years, and I've had so much fun with it. I love seeing different people's approaches to stuff I've played, especially when it's controversial, so I can't wait to watch and get into long ranting discussions about what makes good objective level design and what difficulty REALLY means after every level raocow has trouble with
cozyduck

Post by cozyduck »

nathanisbored wrote:get into long ranting discussions about what makes good objective level design and what difficulty REALLY means after every level raocow has trouble with
Oh there's gonna be discussion alright. This game is very difficult, much more so then VIP2 even, and it doesn't shy away from traps either, so while some of the usual suspects like me and anonymousbloodlust are gonna defend it to death some other members of raocows fanbase are certain to hate it and be very vocal about it. Fun times ahead!
Stink Terios

Post by Stink Terios »

There is no way in hell this is gonna be savestateless.
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

I wonder which of us will take the laurels for the first half-level video.
dont wanna jihad no more
cozyduck

Post by cozyduck »

morsel/morceau wrote:I wonder which of us will take the laurels for the first half-level video.
You know it yourself that you're the most likely candidate.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

lolyoshi wrote: basically, a vip not by the japanese.
That's an interesting remark because ASMT was originally also meant to be "an English VIP", according to raocow in the first video of its LP. It started as a random "things put together" kind of hack. The ASMT series only took a life of its own with the SMBX collabs.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

I haven't beaten it yet though. raocow cancel the LP for a few years until I beat it
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

I've heard this hack gets stupidly hard rather quickly, but I've also heard that it's quite good.

Having not actually played it yet, I'm intrigued to see what it's like.
QubicTom
Pleasantly Confused

Post by QubicTom »

S.N.N. wrote:I've heard this hack gets stupidly hard rather quickly, but I've also heard that it's quite good.

Having not actually played it yet, I'm intrigued to see what it's like.
Definitely, definitely play it! It's an amazing hack - it has fun difficulty. And it really is the talkhaus VIP
Slit08

Post by Slit08 »

I think this game is pretty doable and should be palyed savestateless.

The only exception would be the star world cause this has literally kaizo levels in it (mind you not all star world levels are kaizo in nature, but some of them are). I'd honestly play them last.
[ img ]http://www.loadthegame.com/wp-content/u ... 4jun14.jpg[/ img ]

Night comes and with it terrible horrors.

The hunt begins!
LHB

Post by LHB »

I love the early game for JUMP. As raocow said it feels very cozy and relaxed. I'm going to have to start going through my videos now to compare the death counter with raocows now haha.
Sturg
Gets his freak on with VGM
First name: sturgyman

Post by Sturg »

this looks rad
ImageImage
Image ImageImage
RIP FISH NIPPLE BANNER
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Where there is singing there is fun.
Truhan
Lord of the Waifus
Pronouns: Waifulord

Post by Truhan »

raocow, the big points turn into coins after each level.
Girls are a hoax created by the Japanese anime industry to scam otaku out of their money.
Sniggerb0bble
These arms ain't ever going down.

Post by Sniggerb0bble »

Well now this is a neat looking thing. I've been keeping myself blind to all the goings on, so I'm curious to see where this will lead, but this is a very promising start.

Also for some reason the raising of the platforms on the overworld secret path amused me way more than it should have, haha.
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

I enjoy the fact that the first level contains a pipe where you actually come out of thin air quite a few tiles below it, and also the fact it contains a cannon that shoots you into doing stuff you can't actually predict ahead of time, and holding buttons has weird results so even once you do see it you may still fuck it up.

VIDEO GAMES?!
Ryrir
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Ryrir »

Interesting Trivia:

1) 1-1 used to have no textboxes at all. They were added later by worldpeace because I complained about having to do the spinjump glitch and other silly stuff in 1-1 with no explanations given at all. My argument was that new or inexperienced players would not know about these things, and would therefore be stuck on the very first level of the game. I remember ranting about how bad the level was and called for it to be redesigned, but worldpeace found an even better solution: Adding textboxes that explained every glitch you had to do. I honestly think that the level is now a pretty awesome introduction to the hack and sets the mood in a really nice way.
The thing with the clouds in the cave section is actually intentional (because it wants to convey an amateur vibe), but the thing with the falling springboard is kind of bad. I complained about it in my review, but it didn't get changed.

2) There used to be blue switchblocks under the p-switch maze in "Mushroom Ledge", which allowed you to skip the whole thing. They were removed because there's no way of having the blue switch pressed at this point in the game, and we didn't want to go all VIP2 and have unnecessary switchblocks everywhere that serve no purpose.

3) Monty Pit is one of my least favorite levels of the game. I can forgive bad design, as long as it manages to be interesting in some way - but if something is just... boring... I don't know. Other testers liked it better than me though, because it has that "earlygame-VIP-feel" to it. I agree, but I don't necessarily think that "earlygame VIP" is something that is worth having in your hack (:

4) Bonus stars turn into coins at the end of the level - There is no boring bonus game in this hack!

5) The structure of the world one overworld changed quite a bit from the first draft. There used to be a lot more levels with secret exits in world one (if I remember correctly), but they were found to be too difficult for world one and got moved to later in the game - which meant that the submap had to be completely redesigned.

6) Hearing the ASMT reference made me think a little bit, but I'm pretty sure that there is actually no person who worked on both ASMT and JUMP. Man, how much communities change over the course of a couple years!

7) There are no custom songs in world one (except for the overworld). The original idea was to keep world one completely vanilla, start with allowing custom music by world two, then custom graphics in world three, ASM stuff in world four etc. It didn't quite happen that way in the end (because we had to change the levels around quite a bit because their difficutly didn't fit the world they were in), but you'll notice that custom music is sparely used before world three.

8) You start with 12 lives because people used to game over in world one (which is not really something that's supposed to happen). Instead of making things easier, we just upped the live count! We didn't take QubicTom into account though *snap*
Last edited by Ryrir 8 years ago, edited 7 times in total.
this is getting laundromatic
Lostsoldier20
I am.

Post by Lostsoldier20 »

Oh boy... I can already see where this is going. There's going to be good bits, but I expect some really bad bits, especially with what has already been said in the topic.

As for the cannon pipe, I think there could have been a solution, but it isn't a good one. Just one more text box wouldn't hurt, so say "Hold run and Right when you get launched from pipes like this!" or something. Unless two near unavoidable deaths is the intended effect. And also you would need every level creator to follow this rule of "be able to hold run and right" when coming out of a cannon, which is the other reason it isn't a good solution.

Either way, this will be a thing.
I'm an idiot who likes vidya games.
And also maybe makes bad decisions based on those vidya games.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Aside from the heavy use of text in the first level, and the appearance that lives are still a factor (both things discussed quite a bit in a2xt ep2), this looks to be very well made, and a fun lp, based on the first episode.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
QubicTom
Pleasantly Confused

Post by QubicTom »

Ryrir wrote:We didn't take QubicTom into account though *snap*
I need at least 14 lives for 1-1, didn't you know that?! :lol: The trivia thing is awesome, please keep it up throughout the series if you can!!
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Wow, Mario Party 11 sure took a strange direction...

At least they got rid of the car... :roll:
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage