(shouting)

Episode 2 Discussion Thread

The second SMBX collab!

Name

Poll ended at 8 years ago

A Super Mario Bros X Thing Episode 3 (PTTS = Ep1)
No votes
A Super Mario Bros X Thing Episode 2 (PTTS = Ep0)
7%
A Second Mario Bros X Thing Episode 2
73%
A Third Mario Bros X Thing
20%

Total votes: 15

Holy

Re: Episode 2 Discussion Thread

Post by Holy »

Are there still open spots level-wise or are we just waiting on peeps?
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Unless someone claimed the free spot in World 3-1, then there might be a spot in World 9.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Sturg
Gets his freak on with VGM
First name: sturgyman

Post by Sturg »

I was wanting 3-1 yeah
ImageImage
Image ImageImage
RIP FISH NIPPLE BANNER
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Holy wrote:Are there still open spots level-wise or are we just waiting on peeps?
Actually, now that I think of it, there are a number of boss levels that are open that you could do. Take one or two.
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

Boss levels, eh?
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Post by Rixithechao »

A couple things I've mentioned on Skype but figure I should probably post here:

1 - I really think we could benefit from having a few completely optional mini-levels in each world like the ones in Shovel Knight; these levels would be unlocked via normal progression through the world as a branch off the main path, perhaps with a unique symbol in their name so players can differentiate them. We could use them for content we couldn't fit elsewhere in the game, they could be built with sidequests in mind so we could have quests that extend beyond towns without troubling people to shoehorn sidequest-related content into existing levels, and they'd give latecomers another chance to contribute to the game besides the remaining boss levels.

2 - Last week I decided I was going to try and wrap up my contributions to Ep. 2 by the 10th myself so I can focus on school and other projects. Then I was told by the main dev of one of said projects that he'd be focusing on something else for a few months, and an important bugfix for cinematX (cancelling coroutines properly, thus allowing cutscenes to be skippable and boss battles/races to be more cleanly interrupted) got pushed back in favor of restructuring the library to make the code more manageable without sacrificing backwards compatibility. And that's going to be a lot of work, so I ended up procrastinating by making a parallax background/foreground library, so, uh.. idk.

At the very least I'm going to try and have Aquatic Grotto (my W4 level) and the W3-1 boss code-complete by the 10th, but both are severely impacted by the cinematX bug. The 3-2 boss and the W1 town will be uploaded to their respective threads at whatever state they'll be in at the time, and then if I haven't finished the work on cinematX by then I guess I'll wrap that up before taking my break from SMBX stuff.
Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

I'd personally be against #1 simply because I believe the project should more or less just be a collection of levels made by raocow fans for raocow himself to enjoy, with a plot and a few flavour things to glue it all together.

If you all really want it, go for it, but I don't think it's necessary at all.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

to give a head's up on my progress, I ditched everything from my old level idea except for like the first screen, and am building just a more solid, fun platforming level rather than the... experience I was aiming for.

the result is that I'm having more fun building it and I actually got progress done, so I hope that by this weekend I can offer a first draft for testing.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

If anyone's currently working on a level (especially people who've claimed stuff for Ep2), it would be a good idea to post what you have currently, and give people a chance to look it over and provide feedback, before submitting it as final.
raocow
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Post by raocow »

I've noticed that POSTGAME WORLD has one slot left.

Is it okay if I reserve it, with the knowledge that I probably might not be able to produce somethign for a little bit ?
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

We might actually have a level for that spot. If I don't hear anything about the claimed levels in Worlds 3 and 5, then you might be free to take one of those.
raocow

Post by raocow »

I really want to make something super-hard but I understand, it can wait for chapter 3

I might grab another earlier slot though, keep me informed about those
raocow

Post by raocow »

wait, one of them is 'temple' world ?
yeah, keep me informed please.
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Two people have claimed levels for the Temples/Pyramids half of World 3, but I've hard nothing from them. If I don't hear from both of them by the end of the week, I'm gonna free those spots up, do a bit of shuffling to fit in "a stroll through the forest" (assuming that gets submitted in time), and I can give you that other spot.
Sturg
Gets his freak on with VGM
First name: sturgyman

Post by Sturg »

Proof I'm working on it:
ImageImage
Image ImageImage
RIP FISH NIPPLE BANNER
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

For Those who wanted to go test levels, I uploaded a Fishmarket world.wld on the OneDrive, so people can test levels right from SMBX.
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Just to summarize what was mentioned on Skype, I may have missed things:
  • "Intro levels" won't work like Ep1; they'll look more like regular levels.
  • Cutscenes will be added into the intro levels afterwards
  • Cutscenes will be kept shorter compared to Ep1. Expect a new thread soon with a rough draft of the plot and cutscenes for people to look at.
  • There should be more transparency regarding the plot and cutscene development, compared to Ep1.
  • We won't have gameovers, nor will the player have to worry about managing lives.
  • You will be able to have negative lives.
  • Still a HUB and OW, like Ep1
  • HUB will mainly be for flavour, and world selection
  • OW development won't start until everyone is mostly satisfied with the world order. Please test using the fishmarket OW on OneDrive if at all possible
ztarwuff
What the heck is a flair and why am I being asked to write one for my profile?
Location: Within 2 miles of the Imperial Crypt of Napoleon III

Post by ztarwuff »

SAJewers wrote:Just to summarize what was mentioned on Skype, I may have missed things:
  • OW development won't start until everyone is mostly satisfied with the world order. Please test using the fishmarket OW on OneDrive if at all possible
Oh dear. It never occurred to me that you might switch levels out. The World 6 castle I'm working on depends on the current level list for World 6 being the final copy.
Slit08

Post by Slit08 »

SAJewers wrote:Just to summarize what was mentioned on Skype, I may have missed things:
  • "Intro levels" won't work like Ep1; they'll look more like regular levels.
  • Cutscenes will be added into the intro levels afterwards
  • Cutscenes will be kept shorter compared to Ep1. Expect a new thread soon with a rough draft of the plot and cutscenes for people to look at.
  • There should be more transparency regarding the plot and cutscene development, compared to Ep1.
  • We won't have gameovers, nor will the player have to worry about managing lives.
  • You will be able to have negative lives.
  • Still a HUB and OW, like Ep1
  • HUB will mainly be for flavour, and world selection
Alrighty,
as I wrote to you in the PM I'm going to create the other remaining temple level starting on the 15th once I've written my final test for this semester.
But since intro levels will be designeed as well as bosses and towns it doesn't have to be done within the next three days. I'll keep posting screenshots though.
[ img ]http://www.loadthegame.com/wp-content/u ... 4jun14.jpg[/ img ]

Night comes and with it terrible horrors.

The hunt begins!
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

I sent Minnakht a PM, waiting to see if he responds. If I don't hear anything within like a week, I'll have to assume he's AWOL.

Otherwise, maybe we can use whatever level you want to make as an intro thingy.
ztarwuff wrote:
Oh dear. It never occurred to me that you might switch levels out. The World 6 castle I'm working on depends on the current level list for World 6 being the final copy.
I honestly doubt we'll make that many changes. It's mainly the order the levels are in each world. I don't forsee swapping that many levels between worlds like happened in Ep1.
ztarwuff

Post by ztarwuff »

SAJewers wrote:I honestly doubt we'll make that many changes. It's mainly the order the levels are in each world. I don't forsee swapping that many levels between worlds like happened in Ep1.
That's cool. By the way, I can't quite get the hang of the World Editor. I just wanted to see whether my choice of name would actually work, as it uses an â and an ó, both of which are characters that the SMBX Level editor do not recognise.
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Was just thinking: since "intro levels" are now just regular levels with a short cutscene attached to the beginning afterwards, wouldn't it be best if we just allow 9 more levels to be submitted, then pick 1 level in each world to the starting level that we attach the cutscene to?
ztarwuff

Post by ztarwuff »

I was going to suggest that A stroll through the forest be turned into a tutorial level, but if you've still got to have intro levels, then perhaps it could be accepted in Episode 2. I would even suggest prioritising levels from authors who haven't yet submitted anything to the Episode.
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Yeah, that might solve that issue. There's also levels like "Towards the New World" that would work good as the first level of a world.

Plus, it would give me some leeway to move Second longest tree into World 8, where I'm starting to think it should be placed.
Slit08

Post by Slit08 »

But it is a world 1 level now and it feels right there because the difficulty is just okay for world 1. Moving a world 1 level to the final regular world of the game seems incredibly weird to me because it doesn't fit there due to easy difficulty. And world 8 shouldn't be easy, no level there should be easy.
[ img ]http://www.loadthegame.com/wp-content/u ... 4jun14.jpg[/ img ]

Night comes and with it terrible horrors.

The hunt begins!