(shouting)

DT3 - raocow and the game that ended

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
ZephyrBurst
A Bird Cat
Pronouns: He

DT3 - raocow and the game that ended

Post by ZephyrBurst »

It's that time! The DT Blog
I've been hearing that raocow will be starting this one very soon so here we go, I'm stealing the starting post! I was encouraged to do so and after some comtemplation, I DID IT!

This is the third and final game in the Distorted Travesty trilogy that seems to have gotten a fair amount of love and hate. I'm not really sure what to say at this time, so I'm going to let the first episode or two of the LP start and go from there. Edits will be incoming!

I would like to ask, for those of you that have played DT3 or those that will be following along raocow, to keep spoilers to a minimum. I mean mostly in terms of gameplay. For more spoilery discussion that is ahead of raocow's progress, there's a thread here for that.

Episode Links

Episodes 1 - 25

Episodes 26 - 50

Episodes 51 - 75

Episodes 76 - 100

Episodes 101 - 125

Episodes 126 - 150

Episodes 151 - 157
Last edited by ZephyrBurst 7 years ago, edited 52 times in total.
NegativeZeroZ
The Living Travesty

Re: raocow x Distorted Travesty 3

Post by NegativeZeroZ »

I am also here, to share my experiences in being a part of DT3's development hell as raocow moves forward. I and the other beta testers will probably be talking a lot, so I hope you don't mind if we hog the couch for a bit.

I also encourage those who left the previous two games with less-than-positive impressions to give this series a new lease on life. I say this both because this game is quite a bit better than its predecessors, and also because this game is uh, going to be a thing for a while. Blind runs have so far tended to last 60~80 hours. If you're wondering how a 2D platformer can possibly remain interesting for that long, this game is, like its prequels, very experimental, constantly switching up the gameplay. I find that this game succeeds with more of its ideas, both old and new ones, than DT1.

Also it's really hard. Like. REALLY really hard. It doesn't pick up where DT1 and 2 left off, rather starting from scratch with a proper difficulty curve, and being a long game, it has a bit of a slow start, but the mid-to-endgame and postgame material is not for the faint of heart or clumsy of hand. Those who will be playing along, you have been, like, warned and stuff. But the plot summary and gentle reintroduction to its recurring mechanics should make this a comfortable game to jump into, even after letting DT1 and 2 collect dust.
Juanbro
Old school gamer...at least in theory

Post by Juanbro »

I am super looking forward to this. I have played just 3 hours of it, and I actually have enjoyed it a lot...even if it's a tad demanding. Given how much I enjoyed raocow's Let's Play of DT1 and DT2 (even though I haven't finished either), and the fact that I am having a blast with DT3, there is no doubt that this will be a really good thing. I just hope that raocow gives us episodes that are long enough to be satisfied for a day, but not THAT long...for obvious reasons.

Not saying much spoilery things, but I just started the second major area, and I must say that there is a good change of pace in the gameplay, and yet, it still feels like the first major area in essense.

By the way...it seems that I have an older version of the game. I just remember that it has something of "The Bird Edition" (I'm not in my house right now). I would like to update it. Do I need to do something special to update it?
WhattayaBrian

Post by WhattayaBrian »

Boy oh boy oh boy oh boy.

This LP is going to last forever.
Juanbro wrote:By the way...it seems that I have an older version of the game. I just remember that it has something of "The Bird Edition" (I'm not in my house right now). I would like to update it. Do I need to do something special to update it?
No, you should just need to replace the exe from Zephyr's blog. And, if you haven't gotten the new sound effects, you can pick those up, although they are not required.
If you read this post and thought "Wow, what a swell guy, I sure would like to hear his voice and also watch videogames?" then do I have a link for you.

Current Game: Distorted Travesty 3
ZephyrBurst
A Bird Cat

Post by ZephyrBurst »

Yep, just grab the exe and place it in the game's folder.

The first episode, raocow may be on a wonky version, but after that things will be smooth.

For those downloading the game from the blog, the download section is in a state of disarray till I get back home tonight. But the most recent version IS still up in exe only format. For the full download, I didn't have time to upload the full fix before I had to leave, so that link is on the prior version till then.

Anyway, this is gonna be a fun LP. Day 1 and we're already possibly seeing my mishaps. Adventures await.
kitikami

Post by kitikami »

I think this is the first time I'll be watching two LPs of the same game at the same time. It'll be interesting to compare raocow's experience with the game to RobinLSL's.

I really enjoyed the first two LPs, and this game looks really good from what I've seen of Robin's run so far, so I'm looking forward to this.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

raocow, maybe try using x360ce to map your SNES controller to an xbox 360 controller?That or use your other controller that you must have (your next game needed it anyway), instead of your SNES controller.

EDIT: NVM, I forgot x360ce didn't appear to work when I tried it. Here's the Joy2Key scheme I was using when I gave it a shot a few months back:
[attachment=0]controles.png[/attachment]
Attachments
controles.png
controles.png (9.96 KiB) Viewed 17045 times
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

First episode in a nutshell.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

The REAL travesty is that you're still playing this series!!
Validon98
Echoing Birdsong
Pronouns: they/them

Post by Validon98 »

Well apparently things were added to the options compared to the version I've had like forever and only did the first gate or so with, so that's something I'll have to look into once I get back around to playing this again, but man, aaaaagh I knew this was coming and yet it's still somewhat of a surprise that it's here and now and stuff, I have only good feelings about this LP though given it's Distorted Travesty in general I await the inevitable episode 0. :V
Because Touhou OCs can in fact exist, sounds fake I know.

I can't change my username but I go by Vali/Claire now (aka call me Vali or Claire at your leisure ^^).

I never update this currently playing section anymore, it's probably an RPG or something.

Strawberry Bose Partial Translations and Patches!
WhattayaBrian

Post by WhattayaBrian »

Hey raocow, what keyboard configuration do you use? Like, qwerty, azerty, dvorak, etc? If your logical keys (what actually happens when you press the button) don't match your physical keys (the actual keyboard hardware), you can get weird mismatches in things like xpadder or joy2key. As a dvorak user, this affects me all the time. :/
If you read this post and thought "Wow, what a swell guy, I sure would like to hear his voice and also watch videogames?" then do I have a link for you.

Stink Terios

Post by Stink Terios »

Were you setting buttons both on Joy2key and ingame? Because that sounds like the disaster source.
Dragooner

Post by Dragooner »

Holey shiet, the 3rd game was already out? Gotta play this so i don't get spoiled from the video.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

WhattayaBrian wrote:Hey raocow, what keyboard configuration do you use? Like, qwerty, azerty, dvorak, etc? If your logical keys (what actually happens when you press the button) don't match your physical keys (the actual keyboard hardware), you can get weird mismatches in things like xpadder or joy2key. As a dvorak user, this affects me all the time. :/
Since he's from Quebec, I'd expect either Standard US English, or Canadian Multilingual Standard
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

raocow, could you please not power through the text at mach freaking 10? In such a text heavy game having to pause the video every few seconds to read dialog is obnoxious as hell and kinda tedious. I'm sure the same idiots will come in saying "it's easy to read at the same speed as raocow though!!!1!!1" but no, people read at different speeds.

<-This specific sentence isn't aimed at you, raocow, just to be clear.

I watch these videos to relax and enjoy myself which doesn't happen when I'm having to pause constantly.

Also you should look at one of the options in the menu. I forget its name but you didn't seem to actually notice it. There's one that shows what buttons you're pressing. I'm pretty sure it was on the input menu. (Also next session you should probably consider taking some time to carefully go through the options menu and make sure you've got everything set the way you want it before you start your recording so you can actually dedicate the time necessary to check exactly what everything does.)
Katazuki
wawa
Pronouns: whomst

Post by Katazuki »

Oh man, this game. It's been forever and a half since his LP of 2, so I forgot everything about it!

Who has the most?
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Alice wrote:raocow, could you please not power through the text at mach freaking 10? In such a text heavy game having to pause the video every few seconds to read dialog is obnoxious as hell and kinda tedious. I'm sure the same idiots will come in saying "it's easy to read at the same speed as raocow though!!!1!!1" but no, people read at different speeds.

<-This specific sentence isn't aimed at you, raocow, just to be clear.

I watch these videos to relax and enjoy myself which doesn't happen when I'm having to pause constantly.

Also you should look at one of the options in the menu. I forget its name but you didn't seem to actually notice it. There's one that shows what buttons you're pressing. I'm pretty sure it was on the input menu. (Also next session you should probably consider taking some time to carefully go through the options menu and make sure you've got everything set the way you want it before you start your recording so you can actually dedicate the time necessary to check exactly what everything does.)
you could play it yourself

probably at a better rate than rao, even
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
NegativeZeroZ
The Living Travesty

Post by NegativeZeroZ »

You definitely activated Debug Mode by accident. I'm sure updating to the newest patch will magically fix this problem that totally happened on your end and not anywhere else. Debug Mode being on by itself didn't change anything in-game, though, so the playthrough is fine.

The game is perfectly playable with an SNES controller, but a controller with two more shoulder buttons will allow you to dash with a single button press, which is an optional feature that's definitely never required to beat the game despite what Brian may or may not say about it.

A PSX controller still counts as retro, right?
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Grounder wrote:you could play it yourself

probably at a better rate than rao, even
That's kinda totally missing the point of watching a let's play. And even in a let's play, especially a story heavy one filled with a lot of text-based humor, actually knowing what the hell is going on is kinda, you know, vital to being able to enjoy it.
NegativeZeroZ wrote:You definitely activated Debug Mode by accident. I'm sure updating to the newest patch will magically fix this problem that totally happened on your end and not anywhere else. Debug Mode being on by itself didn't change anything in-game, though, so the playthrough is fine.
According to Zephyr's blog it seems like it was actually a mess up on his end with the patch he released yesterday which he'll be fixing up later today.
WhattayaBrian

Post by WhattayaBrian »

NegativeZeroZ wrote:The game is perfectly playable with an SNES controller, but a controller with two more shoulder buttons will allow you to dash with a single button press, which is an optional feature that's definitely never required to beat the game despite what Brian may or may not say about it.
Oh I never said it was required. It would just be mind-numbingly terrible, that's all. Like trying to listen to music while the wails of banshees echo behind you.

ZephyrBurst
A Bird Cat

Re: DT3 - raocow and the spike pit

Post by ZephyrBurst »

It kinda worked out that I needed to release a quick patch this morning which I've sent out to raocow. I was able to patch up a small thing in the process.

For the dash buttons, the moment I coded those in was the moment I never used up+jump to dash again. Way smoother gameplay experience.
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator
First name: Rena

Post by TaviTurnip »

Oh man finally.
I regularly stream on Twitch! with other members of the talkhaus. Come watch Monday, Tuesday and Friday at 2PM for blind playthroughs and Pokémon and Touhou and stuff. Come hang out with us!
Count Mohawk

Post by Count Mohawk »

Oh yeah, this game. Seeing this in my subscription box reminded me that I should probably get around to beating the last two bosses some time before raocow gets there.

The people who are saying DT3 is a haul aren't joking, by the way. Game is looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong. I've got like 90 hours logged and I don't even have all the collectibles.

All the rest of the stuff I would want to say about this game would be spoilers, so I will refrain for now. Good luck, man!
WhattayaBrian wrote:
NegativeZeroZ wrote:The game is perfectly playable with an SNES controller, but a controller with two more shoulder buttons will allow you to dash with a single button press, which is an optional feature that's definitely never required to beat the game despite what Brian may or may not say about it.
Oh I never said it was required. It would just be mind-numbingly terrible, that's all. Like trying to listen to music while the wails of banshees echo behind you.
Does the fact that I've played nearly all the way through on a keyboard therefore make me a terrible person?
WhattayaBrian

Post by WhattayaBrian »

Some people just rock dem banshees, is all. I don't judge.

King of GETs

Post by King of GETs »

As the only guy in MaGL X2 to make a Distorted Travesty reference, I'm highly eager to watch this entire playthrough.

Speaking of MaGL X2, I wonder if DT will break MaGL X2's episode record...