(shouting)

VIP 2 Revival; TRENTE-QUATRE: FINAL; the segment with infinity

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
Pronouns: she/her
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Re: VIP 2 Revival; UN: the segment with the nostalgia

Post by Blivsey »

VIP2 episode 1 was my first ever raocow video. Kouramaturi~

This is memory lane for a lot of people though, I'm sure!
convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
Ozzy Ment
Resident biologist
First name: A secret to everyone
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Ozzy Ment »

What were those larval Yoshis eating to mature? It looked like they kept trying to eat the munchers.

For the record, the heart is an organ, but it's composed primarily of muscle tissue.
This fits me far too well:
Ryrir

Post by Ryrir »

There's a super easy lifefarm in the very next level, so at least that won't become a problem I guess.

But yeah, it's kinda funny: VIP 1 (while still being kinda bad at times) was overall pretty fun to play (or at least okay-ish), and I think that VIP 3+ are genuinely pretty alright games - but VIP 2 just fell into this weird sinkhole of terribleness all around. It's really... not that great (at least from what I remember of it, I admittedly haven't played it in a very long time).
this is getting laundromatic
Isrieri
Creatively Bankrupt
Pronouns: Male

Post by Isrieri »

VIP is a funny name. I like to say it with a spasm of the diaphragm so it comes out more like "vvwpp!"

I've never watched a vvwpp! so this should be fun.
Nathan the Talkmaus
Unofficial Talkhaus Mascot

Post by Nathan the Talkmaus »

Grounder wrote:Am I the only one concerned about the cats that have green penises?
I'm more concerned that the seem to generally be shaped like a canine's. Of course all the little barbs that make a cat's distinctive are hard to represent in sprite form so there you go.
Winner of the Horikawa Blessing 2015
Ryrir

Post by Ryrir »

Nathan the Talkmaus wrote:
Grounder wrote:Am I the only one concerned about the cats that have green penises?
I'm more concerned that the seem to generally be shaped like a canine's. Of course all the little barbs that make a cat's distinctive are hard to represent in sprite form so there you go.
I don't even want to know.

@Horikawa: The castle end messages are broken in the latest update.
Horikawa Otane wrote:Ping I guess so you see this
Last edited by Ryrir 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
this is getting laundromatic
ztarwuff
What the heck is a flair and why am I being asked to write one for my profile?

Post by ztarwuff »

Silly raocow, that's not how you pronounce ! block.
Wikipedia wrote:In Khoisan languages, and the International Phonetic Alphabet, the exclamation mark is used as a letter to indicate the postalveolar click sound (represented as q in Zulu orthography).
Here's a guy going through a few of the click sounds from Xhosa.

alleightbits
START PLAY!
First name: Brian
Pronouns: he/him

Post by alleightbits »

why the heck not

VIDEO COMMENTARY THING
ergh those charlies
1-1&2: No hidden 1ups? -500/10
Water shell place: that's an unconventional way to find an exit
shells n stuff: Just get a freaking blue shell and fly over the pipes, silly!
featuring random cutoff grass tile
FrozenQuills
hehe haha 2024

Post by FrozenQuills »

I've watched bits and pieces of raocow's VIP playthroughs back in the day, but none of them all the way through.
Can't really remember anything about this one and it looks pretty generic so far, but it's really nice to see translations.
SMBX Tileset Compiler and Separator
The boss entry that made me eat a shoe.

5th place counter: 5
(SMBX Forums CC11, SMBX Forums CC12, Endgame Madness Contest, SMWC Kaizo Contest 2016, SMWC 24hr Contest 2018)
Cirno

Post by Cirno »

The main complaint I have with the translation is "R Block Road". The R isn't just a letter, but an indicator that it's one of the levels you need to beat to start uncorking the Star Road and eventually get to the final level; this wasn't indicated very well in the English translation, since it looks like part of the level name now. I'd suggest putting back the janky bold R to preserve the original intent.

Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Horikawa Otane wrote:
Cirno wrote:The main complaint I have with the translation is "R Block Road". The R isn't just a letter, but an indicator that it's one of the levels you need to beat to start uncorking the Star Road and eventually get to the final level; this wasn't indicated very well in the English translation, since it looks like part of the level name now. I'd suggest putting back the janky bold R to preserve the original intent.

Had no choice. Had to remove the R to get additional characters in the fontset, as I recall.
How does that work?

I would have thought that since Japanese seems to have more characters than English, you could have cut one of them, instead...
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
LHB

Post by LHB »

The character should be in the rom I sent you.

This is what the text file looks like. It's the 'R' in 'LAYER'.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

yay
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Zephyr_DragonLord
The dragon awakens...!
First name: Zach

Re: VIP 2 Revival; DEUX: the segment with the superheroes

Post by Zephyr_DragonLord »

That animation for those baseball players is... highly questionable. The preferred humor of the creators really shows in spades.
...You might want to go back for the Dragon coins in that watery level off camera.

At least like this, some of the harder levels can be broken by a cape.
...Sometimes, I think you're spewing these ridiculous-sounding quotes on purpose in order to get funny level titles out there. It's as if you know this audience.
I am prone to almost everything... except spontaneous violence.
Any questions, concerns, or aspirations you have with me can go to the PM box... Now here's a quote:
raocow wrote:I know there is a population on Earth. They like to populate. I like to gesticulate. We're friends!
(It was about time)
tangy
🍊
Pronouns: any

Post by tangy »

The naming gimmick is text boxes though??
raocow wrote:I am being shot at, and I am being advertised petrol at the same time. We must be in America.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

yes and no

I felt I needed to use the text boxes since that's the main innovation of this run vs the past two, but that alone isn't enough anymore.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
went

Post by went »

Man idk what is the magic with the Vips but raocow is at his looniest non-sequiturest when playing them.

Also, Tofu Man. Seeing him again made me so happy I want to take a bath of lava.

Bonus: can anyone translate this?

"Touhou is wrong" - Horikawa Otane
Redesignated
but what even is tuna
First name: Red

Re: VIP 2 Revival; Prelude: the segment with the hype

Post by Redesignated »

Horikawa Otane wrote:Actually, despite really bad issues with sexism and racism (particularly against Koreans and Chinese) at times, 2chan is honestly quite cordial. I've had a lot of good interactions there - in fact, the reason I could figure out some of the undocumented memes at all was because of the 2chan IRC and the friendly people there that explained them to me. I identified myself as a foreign speaker of Japanese who needed help with figuring some stuff out, tons of people volunteered and were super nice, I made some friends, etc. Even when I didn't volunteer my nationality or mother language, I've had very friendly interactions very consistently. I can't say I've had anything close to as positive a reaction the couple times I've visited 4chan.
Hm. Definitely different from everything else I've ever heard or seen about 2ch, then, barring the presence of racism and sexism.
Horikawa Otane wrote:
Redesignated wrote:It's not that they don't have "social justice warriors" there, it's that Japan in general is still hella homophobic and preys on stereotypes hardcore. (Not like other places aren't or don't, unfortunately, but they've got some serious human rights problems that transcend "lacking SJWs.")
Let's not uhh... Essentialise to this degree. Or make Japan out to be "behind the curve" on this because it really isn't … In some respects it is "hella homophobic" but in others it's decades ahead of the curve. Likewise in some respects the USA and any other country in the global north is "hella homophobic," but years ahead of the curve in specific ways. You risk typologizing and essentialising an entire culture, people, and localised LGBT rights movement (and its problems) with language like yours.
I'm moderately familiar with Japan's breadth of historical positive depictions of varied sexuality and gender, and I've read a bit about what it's doing on that front at the present. I've also read about the opposite, so I know it's not perfect either. "Hella homophobic" may have been a bad way to phrase it, but I won't say it doesn't turn that way too often for my tastes.
stuff 'n' things this will get filled in eventually i swear
Ivy
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

big fan of the baseball cocks
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
benzeenie
⊂二二二(*^ω^)二⊃

Post by benzeenie »

http://www.change.org/p/5602530/preview

*EDIT*
Just a quick (non hilarious) edit to say that- 2ch is very, very far from being 'the Japanese 4chan'
As Horikawa Otane mentioned- the
"bad issues with sexism and racism (particularly against Koreans and Chinese) at times"
are most definitely there, but, imo are more of a Japanese thing and less of a 2ch thing.

4chan (mostly /b/) prides itself on being (or trying to be) the 'internet hate machine' which (again- imho) just doesn't fit 2ch at all.

FIGHT THE POWER!
Ivy
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

never thought porings could be so hostile. this game really opened my eyes
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
Peliptia
(ˈpe-lip-SHēə) / [ˈpɛ-lɪp-ʃiə]

Post by Peliptia »

I hope I'm not a bother by asking, what are the fire flower replacements? Are they like some sort of paper-charm type thingy?? I've always been kind of curious (*^∇^*)ノ

EDIT: Also, the shapes thrown by dry-bones seem to be untranslated katakana, is that the case?
ImageImage
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

Where is the patch to be found? [verysmalltext]I am stupid and can't find it anywhere.[/verysmalltext]
dont wanna jihad no more
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Horikawa Otane wrote:WOOO got the stupid butterflies working~. I hate SMW hacking, but I'm starting to understand the complete mess that is how graphics work. VAGUELY.
Hurray! Now the butterflies won't break the spacetime of reality anymore. That was a very important fix for the stability of the game.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Ivy wrote:big fan of the baseball cocks
Those are baseball bats you pervert. A family friendly channel like raocow would never show something so obscene.