(shouting)

Let's Play JUMP! A talkhaus non-ASMT Mario Romhack - Ep79c FINAL - Won 1F8

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
QubicTom
Pleasantly Confused
First name: Tom

Let's Play JUMP! A talkhaus non-ASMT Mario Romhack - Ep79c FINAL - Won 1F8

Post by QubicTom »

Oh boy. I have never played a Mario romhack before, only the original Super Mario World. I was warned in the catridgé JUMP thread that this game is not designed with beginners in mind, and aterraformer said he will be "feeling bad the entire time" when the "inevitable suffering" begins. So, let's go! Wish me luck! :D

Ep1 - Tutorial Trainwreck
Ep2 - Noteblock Nonsense
Ep3 - Cave Catastrophy
Ep4 - Tuna Turmoil
Ep5 - Mole Malarkey
Ep6 - Mushroom Maladies
Ep7 - Castle Calamity (some audio chirping in the sped-up sections here, sorry!!)
Ep8 - Ice Irritation
Ep9 - Ghostly Genocide
Ep10 - Current Clumsiness
Ep 11 - Magic Mishaps
Ep12 - Spring Suffering
Ep13 - Fortress Failures
Ep14 - Tundra Tribulations
Ep15 - Cavern Cataclysm
Ep16 - Switch Shenanigans
Ep17 - Fire Furore
Ep18 - Temperature Trials
Ep19 - Underwater Unhappiness
Ep20 - Supersonic Silliness
Ep21 - Rapture Rapture
Ep22a - Midpoint Murder
Ep22b - Rapture Rant
Ep22c - Rapture Realization
Ep23 - Projectile Punishment
Ep24 - Lava Lament
Ep25 - Baseball Battering
Ep26a - Spinjump Stress
Ep26b - Spinning Sadism
Ep26c - Spinning Salvation
Ep27 - Pier Perils
Ep28a - Pufferfish Problems
Ep28b - Starry Surprise
Ep29 - Horse Hooliganism
Ep30 - Firing Frenzy
Ep31a - Puzzle Pain
Ep31b - Dragon Desperation
Ep32 - Layer Lament
Ep33a - Bridge Brooding
Ep33b - Engineering Evil
Ep34 - Fish Fallacies
Ep35a - Disco Disco
Ep35b - Disco Defeat
Ep35c - Disco Defiance
Ep36 - Reverse Resentment
Ep37 - Giant Grievance
Ep38 - Leaping Lunacy
Ep39 - Floatation Faltering
Ep39 BONUS - Positive Altitude v1.01 [No Commentary]
Ep40 - Slippery Stumbles
Ep41a - Cavern Carelessness
Ep41b - Frigid Fumbling - First video in actual 720p60fps!
Ep42 - Shroom Stagger
Ep43 - Ultra Uncompromising
Ep43d - Dragon Dogged
Ep44 - Smog Stifling
Ep45a - Hindrance Hindrance
Ep45b - Gourmet Garbage
Ep45c - Gourmet Gumption
Ep46 - Wretched Wiggler
Ep46v - Wistless Wiggler
Ep47a - Byzantine Bridge
Ep47b - Bloody Bridge
Ep47c - Broken Bridge
Ep47d - Beaten Bridge
Ep48 - Ruinous Ruins
Ep49 - Contemptuous Coins
Ep49v - Coin Guides Are Always Accurate v1.04
Ep50a - Disarray Disarray
Ep50b - Daring Disarray
Ep50c - Disarming Disarray
Ep51a - Previewing Pixel [Unedited]
Ep51b - Practicing Pixel
Ep51c - Perfecting Pixel
Ep52 - Formidable Forest
Ep52v - Into The Dark Forest v1.04
Ep53 - Hallowed House
Ep54a - Holy Holy
Ep54b - Holy House [No Commentary]
Ep54c - Bossy Boo
Ep55a - Jolpe's Jersey
Ep55f - Jolpe's Japes
Ep55b - Jolpe's Jaunt
Ep56a - Shouldering Shortcomings
Ep56b - Shouldering Shambles
Ep56c - Shouldering Shock
Ep57 - Begrudging Black
Ep58 - Exacting Exit
Ep59 - Fetid Fogies
Ep60a - Grimacing Green
Ep60b - Grinding Green
I GOT THE MOON IN THE GREEN SWITCH PALACE WHAT
Ep60c - The Thinking
Ep60d - Perspicacity Palace
Ep61 - Baleful Balls
Ep62a - Shoddy Shrine
Ep62b - Sinful Shells
Ep63 - Chagrin Castle
Ep63A - Castle Correction
Ep64a - Miscellaneous Mess-ups
Ep64b - Miscellaneous Miasma
Ep64c - Miscellaneous Midpoint
Ep64d - Misc. Monument v1.01 Midpoint
Ep64e - Mighty Monument
Ep64f - Misc. Monument v1.01 finale
Ep65a - Laggard Lava
Ep65b - Lava Loathing
Ep65c - Gawky Gap
Ep66a - Flippantly Fast
Ep66b - Badly Burnt
Ep67 - Castle Clamber
Ep68 - Industrial Ire
Ep69 - Yggdrasil Yobbery
Ep70 - Solus Skulliloquy
Ep71 - Tumultuous Thwomps
Ep72a - Depraved Demonstration
Ep72b - Stronghold Strain
Ep72c - Depraved Deaths
Ep72d - Depraved Desperation
Ep72e - Savage Stronghold
Ep72f - Depraved Derangement
Ep72g - Depraved Determination
Ep73 - Scaffolding Scurry
Ep74 - Impetuous Incompetence
Ep75 - Ludwig's Lamentation
Ep76a - Bowser's Beginnings
Ep76b - Bowser's Bonanza
Ep76c - Bowser's Battle
Ep76d - Castle Cleanup
Ep77a - Shattered Sheol
Ep77b - Drogulus Dreams
Ep77c - Shattered Scrolling
Ep77d - Danmaku Dreams
Ep77e - Shattered Scour
Ep77f - Shattered Soul
Ep77g - Shattered Shins
Ep77h - Doppelganger Dreams
Ep77i - Dashed Dreams
Ep77j - Sinistrally Shattered
Ep77k - Diabolical Dreams
Ep78 - Shell Shock
Ep79a - 1F8 111111000
Ep79b - Onerous 1F8
Ep79c - Won 1F8 FINAL (?)

There will be a new episode everyday! Enjoy my suffering! :lol:

Number of Copyright Notices from Nintendo so far: 44 (one of which is "visual content" on a custom map?!) (two were for the same music over the same section of video...) (one was less than 10 seconds of music followed by a 4x fast forward with the music! How?!)
Last edited by QubicTom 7 years ago, edited 175 times in total.
Jolpengammler
The Friendly Dog
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Let's Play JUMP! A talkhaus non-ASMT Mario Romhack ft. a game over in 1-1

Post by Jolpengammler »

This going to be awesome! (and painful)
"Ban all the facial hair from life." ~ Horikawa Otane, 2014
"i always run up and down the stairs because i want to die" ~Isocitration, 2016
Ryrir
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Ryrir »

Well - you got past the two tutorial stages! I suppose you will be able to complete world 1 & 2 then, because the difficulty kinda stays at this level up until world three. I guess we'll see!

The video quality is fine by the way, and I really like the raocow-style editing you've done.
Number of Copyright Notices from Nintendo so far: 2
Yeah, this is going to happen quite a lot. The hack does use custom music, but not that much in the early game, and there will always be some levels which use the vanilla tracks at any point in the game, so...

I vote for going down first.
this is getting laundromatic
QubicTom
Pleasantly Confused

Post by QubicTom »

Ryrir wrote:Well - you got past the two tutorial stages!
It more felt like I fell through the stages and accidentally beat them, in all honesty! :lol:

And now it continues - the new video is out now!

Ep2 - Noteblock Nonsense

To anyone reading this thread, before watching the video, how many deaths do you predict for today? :D
morsel/morceau

Re: Let's Play JUMP! A talkhaus non-ASMT Mario Romhack - Episode 2 - Bouncing Bad

Post by morsel/morceau »

I was going to guess

because of the way you'd phrased that, but then I preferred to get quickly to the video instead.

It's really refreshing to watch someone playing their first hack, and it brings back the memories. My first was one called Luigi's Adventure*, which I only competed after infinite pains (e.g. 1-1 game overs). That one (like this one) assumes intimate knowledge of the game's mechanics, but these can be learned and in the end you're only limited by your patience. Even then, you already seem to be aware of some things I would consider potentially obscure (like spin jumping directly off of a springboard).

I would go ahead and beat the castle because it gives you a save and access to a place where you can get a couple of easy lives.

*Actually, it was Mario's Keytastrophe, but this broke at one point and I had to try something else.
dont wanna jihad no more
Ryrir

Re: Let's Play JUMP! A talkhaus non-ASMT Mario Romhack - Episode 2 - Bouncing Bad

Post by Ryrir »

I vote for "Chuckleton Plains" first. If you lose a lot of lives (and chances are that you will *cue evil laughter*), you can always go back to morsel's plan and go for the lifefarm after the castle.

Also, dragoncoins save through pretty much everything, except getting a gameover (if I remember correctly). So yeah, in the really hard levels you might want to hardsave the game every time you get a dragoncoin (don't worry though, there are much easier save opportunities later in the game).

Also - since you specifically asked - you missed a bonus in the pipe at the very start of "Springety Sproing" (the one where you need two powerups and scroll the screen). Probably not worth it though in the great scheme of things?

Edit: No, not "Springety Sproing" - "Musical Grasslands" is the level I'm talking about!
QubicTom
Pleasantly Confused

Post by QubicTom »

Ryrir wrote:Also - since you specifically asked - you missed a bonus in the pipe at the very start of "Springety Sproing" (the one where you need two powerups and scroll the screen). Probably not worth it though in the great scheme of things?

Edit: No, not "Springety Sproing" - "Musical Grasslands" is the level I'm talking about!
Thanks for the tip! I wanted to check it out, but forgot to do it during the recording session, whoops! I'll do it next time :) And thanks for letting me know about how the Dragon Coins work!
morsel/morceau wrote:That one (like this one) assumes intimate knowledge of the game's mechanics, but these can be learned and in the end you're only limited by your patience. Even then, you already seem to be aware of some things I would consider potentially obscure (like spin jumping directly off of a springboard).
Religiously watching raocow playing romhacks over the years has taught me a few things by osmosis I guess! SomeGuy712x does a lot of engine exploits in his videos, too, which I do try to keep in mind.

Anyways, next video is out! Place your votes for tomorrow's first level NOW!! :D
Ep3 - Cave Catastrophy
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Re: Let's Play JUMP! A talkhaus non-ASMT Mario Romhack - Episode 3 - Janky Jumping

Post by raocow »

man I took a glimps are your video-ing and I wish you played something I could watch, I really like what you are putting down!

take your time with Jump, but I'm seriously looking forward to future projects yo
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Ryrir

Re: Let's Play JUMP! A talkhaus non-ASMT Mario Romhack - Episode 3 - Janky Jumping

Post by Ryrir »

That went a lot better than expected! Good job, there might be hope for you yet :P

You can't actually beat "Salty Roasted Peanuts" just yet - the message box was right, you need to come back once it's autumn. Don't worry about it though, what that actually means will become clear soon enough
QubicTom
Pleasantly Confused

Post by QubicTom »

raocow wrote:man I took a glimps are your video-ing and I wish you played something I could watch, I really like what you are putting down!
take your time with Jump, but I'm seriously looking forward to future projects yo
Thank you so very much for the compliment! I hope in the future I might provide something you find entertaining, after all these years of you providing me with entertainment! :)
Ryrir wrote:You can't actually beat "Salty Roasted Peanuts" just yet - the message box was right, you need to come back once it's autumn. Don't worry about it though, what that actually means will become clear soon enough
That's really good to know, thank you - I might have wasted time today trying to solve an unsolvable problem otherwise!

The latest episode is below - I believe it might even have the first facepalm/shout at the screen moment
Ep4 - Tuna Turmoil

(If there is anything within the videos that anyone here thinks could be better, do let me know, I want to try and provide the best videos I can for y'all!)
QubicTom
Pleasantly Confused

Re: Let's Play JUMP! A talkhaus non-ASMT Mario Romhack - Episode 4 - Piping Problems

Post by QubicTom »

My first hour+ recording session. In World 2! Any guesses on how many game overs I get today? :lol:

Ep5 - Mole Malarkey
Ryrir

Re: Let's Play JUMP! A talkhaus non-ASMT Mario Romhack - Episode 5 - Mouldwarp Massacre

Post by Ryrir »

Yeah, Effortland is the first real difficulty-spike in the game. At least it's short, I guess, and the secret exit being right at the start is definitely a plus. I hope you like the design of Jolpe, he made like a billion levels in the hack (ca. one in every world)

One thing I noticed is that you don't really use the duckjump. The last few jumps to the keyhole (as well as fitting into the tight hole at the beginning where the key was) would have been a lot easier if your hitbox was one tile lower. Something to think about? :P

Also, the powerup at the end of the bonus area in "Musical Grassland" would have given you the first feather in the game if you would have gotten there big. It would have been kind of a big deal at the time, but of course now you have the first castle and Effortland if you want to farm for capes, so...

I vote for the Mushroom Backyard.
morsel/morceau

Re: Let's Play JUMP! A talkhaus non-ASMT Mario Romhack - Episode 5 - Mouldwarp Massacre

Post by morsel/morceau »

You can get lives automatically already using this trick (you've probably seen it in someguy712x's videos)
[attachment=0]Super Mario World (U) [!]_00002.png[/attachment](at the start of the pipe level) Throw the shell up between the block and the wall and scroll the screen if necessary until you get a block factory -- it may take a few tries.
Attachments
Super Mario World (U) [!]_00002.png
Super Mario World (U) [!]_00002.png (7.3 KiB) Viewed 9267 times
dont wanna jihad no more
QubicTom
Pleasantly Confused

Post by QubicTom »

Ryrir wrote:One thing I noticed is that you don't really use the duckjump. The last few jumps to the keyhole (as well as fitting into the tight hole at the beginning where the key was) would have been a lot easier if your hitbox was one tile lower. Something to think about? :P
Don't worry, I got a lot of practice with the duckjump today... for the wrong reasons, haha!
morsel/morceau wrote:You can get lives automatically already using this trick - a block factory
Thank you for the tip, although I have seen SomeGuy712x make them before, I didn't see that opportunity! I'll try it out next session!

New episode! This one is terrible! I'm super bad at this game, in case you hadn't noticed yet 8-)
Ep6 - Mushroom Maladies
QubicTom
Pleasantly Confused

Re: Let's Play JUMP! A talkhaus non-ASMT Mario Romhack - Episode 6 - Blue Biocide

Post by QubicTom »

This one took nearly two hours to record. Yes, it's just one level :(
Ep7 - Castle Calamity (Ugh, it looks like there's some audio chirping in the sped up sections again... really sorry about that :cry: Headphone users, lower the volume a tad when the video goes double-speed. I'll see what I can do to prevent this happening again)

Remember to place your vote! Loads of choices for what levels to play next!
worldpeace125

Re: Let's Play JUMP! A talkhaus non-ASMT Mario Romhack - Episode 7 - Carking Castle

Post by worldpeace125 »

I'm really enjoying this LP. Good luck with next worlds too!
I vote for Siberian Precipice.
Ryrir

Re: Let's Play JUMP! A talkhaus non-ASMT Mario Romhack - Episode 7 - Carking Castle

Post by Ryrir »

In the video you asked if this is how the rest of the game is going to be, and I can tell you that the answer is no.

It's only going to get harder.

I think after the video today you kinda have to ask yourself if you actually had any fun while playing through the same sublevel over and over again - because this is pretty much how the rest of the hack is going to go for you. Are you really willing to play for 2+ hours every single time you start a new recording session? Because if the answer to both questions is no, it might be a good idea to quit while you're still ahead :P

But enough negativity. The video was actually super fun to watch! Let's talk about the level: The solution to the last dragoncoin is (surprisingly) not to kill yourself, you're actually supposed to keep a bullet bill from earlier in the level on screen and use that to bulletbounce. Other than that the level is really straightforward, it reminds me of the castle levels of the VIPs.
Good job on the blockfactory! It would have really sucked to see all those game-overs...
Also, you forgot to check who the creator of the level was! (Or maybe you edited it out?)

Cave world is easier than ice world, so my vote would be that you check out the yoshihouse in the ice world and then go back to "The Dumbest Cavern".
lolyoshi
don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk.

Post by lolyoshi »

I honestly enjoy someone playing super mario world when they're not immensely experienced. It inspires me to make a hack for their difficulty because I know a lot of people who are not the greatest at platformers.

Hope the sadistic castle wasn't too much of a struggle for you.

Also voting PEEK-A-BOO because lol
QubicTom
Pleasantly Confused

Post by QubicTom »

worldpeace125 wrote:I'm really enjoying this LP. Good luck with next worlds too!
I vote for Siberian Precipice.
Thank you, that means a lot to me!
Ryrir wrote:It's only going to get harder... Are you really willing to play for 2+ hours every single time you start a new recording session? Because if the answer to both questions is no, it might be a good idea to quit while you're still ahead :P
I can be pretty stubborn, especially when something challenges my abilities! I'll soldier on for now, but I definitely appreciate the warning! :)
Ryrir wrote: Let's talk about the level: The solution to the last dragoncoin is (surprisingly) not to kill yourself, you're actually supposed to keep a bullet bill from earlier in the level on screen and use that to bulletbounce. Other than that the level is really straightforward, it reminds me of the castle levels of the VIPs.
Yes, I did notice the low-down cannon - in fact, in one of death montages you see an attempt at it, but Mario doesn't jump off of a moving grey block, I fall onto the bullet, then into a hole :lol: The castle definitely felt like something out of VIP!!
lolyoshi wrote:Hope the sadistic castle wasn't too much of a struggle for you.
Also voting PEEK-A-BOO because lol
It was a struggle, but it was entirely my fault for being a terrible player! Thank you for making it, I'm looking forward to any other levels you might have in this game! I'm afraid I didn't get to do PEEK-A-BOO for today's video, but I'll carry on your vote to tomorrow (unless you want to change it, of course!)

New video!! Does it go as badly as yesterday? Place your bets!
Ep8 - Ice Irritation
QubicTom
Pleasantly Confused

Re: Let's Play JUMP! A talkhaus non-ASMT Mario Romhack - Episode 9 - Gormless Ghosthouse

Post by QubicTom »

New episode is out! It took an hour and a half to record, it was super depressing, but in editing it became hilarious :D
Ep9 - Ghostly Genocide

Remember to vote, to prevent this sort of mistake from happening again!!!
QubicTom
Pleasantly Confused

Re: Let's Play JUMP! A talkhaus non-ASMT Mario Romhack - Episode 10 - Grating Glacier

Post by QubicTom »

The key to success in today's first level is to rush ahead. The key to success in the second level is to absolutely take your time, waiting where possible. Guess how that goes :P
Ep10 - Current Clumsiness
Ryrir

Re: Let's Play JUMP! A talkhaus non-ASMT Mario Romhack - Episode 10 - Grating Glacier

Post by Ryrir »

I liked the part where you said that the level was easier than the previous lolyoshi levels only to find out five seconds later that the level was made by lolyoshi.

I'm voting for the trigonometry level.
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

I vote Spanish wheat (

trigo

).
dont wanna jihad no more
lolyoshi
don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk.

Post by lolyoshi »

I vote Image
Heraga

Post by Heraga »

Oh god, I never even noticed this thread.

TBH, I'm worse then you when it comes to playing hacks, and I'm enjoying your LP so far!