(shouting)

¡Guacamelee! - FINAL - Acmé

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Re: ¡Guacamelee! - The Chicken and the Egg

Post by Alice »

Zephyr_DragonLord wrote:I just stuck to the standard outfit the whole game. Too many people were using the chicken suit, so.... yeah.
It's actualy not half as useful as it sounds either. The health regen is so slow that it doesn't actually really help all that much. Unless they sped it up in the turbo edition at least.
Sebby19 wrote:Yeah, lets switch back to Juan now. He is the hero of this story.
You do realize you're like the only person who wants him to switch back and this lp isn't just for you, right? Let raocow play how he wants to play and stop being obnoxious and trying to demand that he do things the way you want.
Juanbro
Old school gamer...at least in theory

Re: ¡Guacamelee! - El Pollo Loco

Post by Juanbro »

Sebby19 wrote: Even I know what those hanging dolls are sorta about, and man, they give me the shivers. Juanbro can explain them, they are way to creepy for me to do actual research.
Joseph Staleknight wrote:I'm sure Juanbro can explain it better, but basically there are legends of how Conquistadores astride horses looked like two-headed beasts to the Aztecs (the latter having never seen horses before).)
Oh man, now I am officially the "mexican references guy" of the forums, but, still, I am afraid that I may not know every reference, like the one about the Conquistadores having two heads.

Well, at least I will put the references that I could get today.

- Mexican references, phrases and words:
2:34 Those dolls...while Ometeotl gave us a link to the backstory about that...I will give you a quick summary. Basically, a man who lived in Xochimilco witnessed how a girl died while drowning, and a doll emerged from the place that said girl drowned. The man hung the doll from a tree as a memorial. But, after this, the man started hearing voices, footsteps and wails of a woman. This filled the man with fear, so he started hanging more a more dolls in the trees to try to ward off any evil spirit. The man died a while ago, but all the hung dolls remain, becoming one of the creepiest, yet a pretty famous tourist spot of Xochimilco. Man, just thinking about it gives me the creeps.
3:38 "Pico de Gallo". This one could be literally translated as "Chicken's Beak" or "beak of chicken", but its actually the name of a type of salad in México. This salad normally consists in chopped cubes of tomato, onion, lemon, jalapeños and coriander. It mostly eaten as a dip or complement, not as a main course.
5:16 "Desierto Caliente". Just wanted to point out that raocow pronounced it correctly.
11:56 Actually, "cactus" is the same in spanish and in english, BUT, the word in spanish is the plural, while in english is in singular. It is a bit unknown, as mexican uses "cactus" for singular and plural, but in reality, the singular is "cacto" and the plural is "cactus".
14:24 That skeleton is referencing the conquerors or "conquistadores" from Spain that conquered the aztecs, and made México their territory until we became independent in 1821.

- Videogames refences and others:
0:44 "Simulador de Cabra". This one is an obvious reference to the game "Goat Simulator".
5:40 That totem clearly is a reference to the game "Donkey Kong", with Donkey Kong (or Cranky Kong, if we are strict) holding the barrel.
5:49 "Bust It Bill". This one doesn't try to hide that well. It is a reference to the movie "Wreck-it Ralph", not that weird since said movie is about the video games.
7:05 That little statue has the same form as Cactuar, one of the most famous monsters in Final Fantasy series.

Oh, and raocow's reaction to the transformation was one of the best things ever.
Nathan the Talkmaus
Unofficial Talkhaus Mascot

Post by Nathan the Talkmaus »

Juanbro wrote: It is a bit unknown, as mexican uses "cactus" for singular and plural, but in reality, the singular is "cacto" and the plural is "cactus".
Now I know what to name the reskinned Pokeys for my SMBX project whenever I get to it.
Winner of the Horikawa Blessing 2015
Sniggerb0bble
These arms ain't ever going down.

Post by Sniggerb0bble »

I've never been much of a fan of how the giant coloured breakable blocks looked in the environment in this game, but I do definitely appreciate what it does for the combat. It's a really clever bit of conveyance that they have you go through a few screens of using all three of your familiar colourful abilities before introducing you to the new mechanic coloured shields, since it makes the player get an instant understanding of what to do. As a result, I think they could've easily done away with the tutorial messages during this part, but I understand the reluctance in doing so.

Also b'caw etc.
Dark_Paratroopa

Post by Dark_Paratroopa »

Alice wrote:
Zephyr_DragonLord wrote:I just stuck to the standard outfit the whole game. Too many people were using the chicken suit, so.... yeah.
It's actualy not half as useful as it sounds either. The health regen is so slow that it doesn't actually really help all that much. Unless they sped it up in the turbo edition at least.
The Chicken suit is actually one of the most useful suits, because it lets you regain health in extended sequences where health is limited. Such as the battle arena or other certain activities.

The other two most useful suits are the skeleton suit and devil suit. If you buy any other suit, raocow, you'll want the skeleton one. Infinite stamina is as useful as it sounds.

Edit: I just recieved a Guacamelee Gold Edition booster pack from steam a few seconds after posting that.................
Alice

Post by Alice »

Dark_Paratroopa wrote:The Chicken suit is actually one of the most useful suits, because it lets you regain health in extended sequences where health is limited. Such as the battle arena or other certain activities.

The other two most useful suits are the skeleton suit and devil suit. If you buy any other suit, raocow, you'll want the skeleton one. Infinite stamina is as useful as it sounds.

Edit: I just recieved a Guacamelee Gold Edition booster pack from steam a few seconds after posting that.................
But it's so slow that even with a low total amount of health it would take a couple of minutes to regen from near dead to max health. You're really better off just relying on the regen from killing enemies. I'll agree with you on the skeleton suit though, that one's useful. (Can't speak for the devil suit since its unlock requirements are pretty steep in the gold edition so I have yet to unlock it.)
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

The pink throw-boosting suit is good

until you fight X'tabay and it takes a million years because you can only melee her. And then you don't get the opportunity to change suit if you die because it autosaves at the fight. Annoying as heck tbh fam.

Xirix
The British Palindrome

Post by Xirix »

So next episode is going to be AUS HD? I can dig that.
tangy
🍊
Pronouns: any

Re: ¡Guacamelee! - Everything was timed perfectly by accident

Post by tangy »

It's the egg game!!
raocow wrote:I am being shot at, and I am being advertised petrol at the same time. We must be in America.
Grounder

Re: ¡Guacamelee! - Perezoso

Post by Grounder »

this is an almost entirely filler episode, and it isn't really the game's fault

no points for guessing who the slowpoke of the episode is
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Piter Lauchy
Suitable for all Buddy purposes
First name: Merlin

Post by Piter Lauchy »

I like this kind of episode. The completionist in me even demands more of them.
You're awesome.
Piter Lauchy
Suitable for all Buddy purposes
First name: Merlin

Post by Piter Lauchy »

I like this kind of episode. The completionist in me even demands more of them. I really gotta get that guy out. He hasn't been paying rent for three months.
Edit: Seems like my editing screwed up and now I can't delete the above one. Sorry for the double post.
You're awesome.
tirakai

Post by tirakai »

You ran right by a couple things chicken tunnels you could have went in, one right at the start of the video and one right at the end.
Zephyr_DragonLord
The dragon awakens...!
First name: Zach

Re: ¡Guacamelee! - A Cow and his Lost Looniness

Post by Zephyr_DragonLord »

Like the person above said, you ran by a tunnel. There were good things in that tunnel. Like more tunnels.

Other than that... I actually have no complaints this episode. Your combat skills were great... except for that one giant. But whatever.

Lots of references in this episode, too. I'll leave those to others.
I am prone to almost everything... except spontaneous violence.
Any questions, concerns, or aspirations you have with me can go to the PM box... Now here's a quote:
raocow wrote:I know there is a population on Earth. They like to populate. I like to gesticulate. We're friends!
(It was about time)
Wolfolotl
cryptid
First name: ovid
Pronouns: xe/xem/xyr

Post by Wolfolotl »

you quit abusing my salamandery people!! they are just trying to say hello!!
:nb_pride:
Dark_Paratroopa

Post by Dark_Paratroopa »

raocow- Save up for the skeleton costume, and also you can use INTENSO while in chicken form. Try it!

Alice wrote: But it's so slow that even with a low total amount of health it would take a couple of minutes to regen from near dead to max health. You're really better off just relying on the regen from killing enemies. I'll agree with you on the skeleton suit though, that one's useful. (Can't speak for the devil suit since its unlock requirements are pretty steep in the gold edition so I have yet to unlock it.)
Just because it's slow for your tastes doesn't mean it's not useful. Especially in certain cases where you lose more to enemies than you gain and can wait around a bit.

Yes it's less useful if you're really good at the game, but raocow isn't really good at the game.
Joseph Staleknight
ABCDs in Katamari Damacy when

Re: ¡Guacamelee! - Estoy extraviado.

Post by Joseph Staleknight »

Since this is more or less an episode outside of the plot I'm just going to use "estoy" for my message title instead of "soy".

First of all, I was pretty sad you skipped out on Undead Santa Luchita. Not only did you miss out on some great dialogue and more references, but also
you missed the final ingredient for La Gran Enchilada!
Really, the only thing less than thrilling about Undead Santa Luchita is the music, which feels just too eerie for my tastes. In any case you should definitely stop on by, preferably before seeing X'tabay (finally I can use her name!).

Also, yeah, there's no town in Undead Canal de las Flores because nobody's died within to build it...yet. Let's just hope it stays that way.
Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
Pronouns: he/him/his
https://ditocoaf.talkhaus.com/

Re: ¡Guacamelee! - Estoy extraviado.

Post by Ditocoaf »

Joseph Staleknight wrote: First of all, I was pretty sad you skipped out on Undead Santa Luchita.
He didn't "skip" it really, he just figured it was his destination and is taking the long way around to get there. It feels like you're currently supposed to meet the X lady there, and he'll explore the town first if the meeting with her doesn't automatically trigger when you walk into town.

I never played, so I dunno!
Tenlade

Post by Tenlade »

a minor little detail, but neat. They seem to be doing fine in the afterlife.
Joseph Staleknight
ABCDs in Katamari Damacy when

Post by Joseph Staleknight »

Tenlade wrote:

Man, I never did notice that! Must've thought she was just an ordinary lady in the afterlife.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Alice wrote:
Sebby19 wrote:Yeah, lets switch back to Juan now. He is the hero of this story.
You do realize you're like the only person who wants him to switch back and this lp isn't just for you, right? Let raocow play how he wants to play and stop being obnoxious and trying to demand that he do things the way you want.
And you must realize your the only person that seems to get annoyed with me. I'm not being obnoxious, I've only mentioned my wish twice (and if you find a 3rd, oh well?). Though since you brought it up, I am curious if Juan as a chicken looks any different.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Juanbro
Old school gamer...at least in theory

Post by Juanbro »

Oh man, raocow searching for things, in this day and age? Impossible.
Joseph Staleknight wrote:
Tenlade wrote:

Man, I never did notice that! Must've thought she was just an ordinary lady in the afterlife.
Wow...each time I get to notice more and more of the goodness of this game with its small details.

And now, the references that this episode has.

- The mexican references, phrases and words:
3:48 "El Infierno". "The hell" in spanish.
4:43 "Adele song". I am not that sure about this one, but it may refer to a song called "La Adelita". In a quick fashion, that song tells the story of how a woman called Adela and a sergeant fell in love. They were to get marry after all the battles ended, but while that happened, Adela and the sergeant were always together in the battles. Sadly, in one of the battles, the sergeant took to many bullets, and died in the arms of Adela. Adela, while saddened, was faithful to her duty and her country, and continued as a soldier, cook and nurse in the group he belonged to. Adela caused such impact, to honor, they name Adelita to every women that participated in the revolutionary groups of the Mexican Revolution in the 20th century as soldiers, cooks, nurses and related things.

This song in some way may relate to X'tabay as she loves Carlos, but it is unrequited, making her wish that her relationship with Carlos were as good as the relationship in "La Adelita".

7:37 Those decorations inside the house and the village are typically used in Día de los Muertos celebration.
8:04 The statue on the right is a reference to the aztecs, but the statue on the left...I don't know.
8:43 "Marquesitas". It is behind that couple about "poetry". Marquesitas are some kind of snack famous of Yucatán. These snacks are made of a dough that it's fried (to a point that it gets crispy) and then rolled up in a conic form, and have different stuffing like cheese or caramel.

There are some more things that could be explained in Pico de Gallo, but would require some deep investigation. Perhaps thatguyif could do something about it, or wait till another if raocow ever returns to Pico de Gallo.

- Videogame references and others:

6:55 This one..."¡Fuerte Malo!". "Strong Evil!"...I can't catch the reference here, but I am pretty sure that it may be a reference in a video game.
12:15 A weird owl statue...another reference that I may not be getting.
13:39 A pokemon wannabe standing on a pokeball. Could it be Squirtle?
Alice

Post by Alice »

tirakai wrote:You ran right by a couple things chicken tunnels you could have went in, one right at the start of the video and one right at the end.
There were two near the start of the video that were only one or two screens apart. It was kinda hilarious (and infuriating) to see raocow completely miss blatant alternate paths only to shortly after comment on the game being too linear.
Sebby19 wrote:And you must realize your the only person that seems to get annoyed with me. I'm not being obnoxious, I've only mentioned my wish twice (and if you find a 3rd, oh well?). Though since you brought it up, I am curious if Juan as a chicken looks any different.
Maybe you should consider other threads when trying to claim you're not obnoxious. People have complained about the way you act in the past. I'm just the only one who has bothered saying something this time because I have no patience for people who are incapable of learning.

And iirc the only difference between Juan and dead lady whose name I'm completely spacing at the moment is that the mask is red instead of blue.
Tenlade

Post by Tenlade »

12:15 A weird owl statue...another reference that I may not be getting.
The owl statue is from FEZ
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

Juanbro wrote:
6:55 This one..."¡Fuerte Malo!". "Strong Evil!"...I can't catch the reference here, but I am pretty sure that it may be a reference in a video game.

Strong Bad, not of a video game, but of early internet fame
the chillaxest of dragonsImage