(shouting)

MaGL X2 - Cat Planet × Pokemon OTP

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Hoeloe
A2XT person
Pronouns: she/her

Re: MaGL X2 - Horikawa x Not Being the Target for a Change OTP

Post by Hoeloe »

Bees x math.random OTP.
FrozenQuills
hehe haha 2024

Post by FrozenQuills »

Time stop x raocow not getting stuck OTP
SMBX Tileset Compiler and Separator
The boss entry that made me eat a shoe.

5th place counter: 5
(SMBX Forums CC11, SMBX Forums CC12, Endgame Madness Contest, SMWC Kaizo Contest 2016, SMWC 24hr Contest 2018)
No Lynch
Pronouns: she

Post by No Lynch »

Yeah, the music used to change to the timestop music while time was frozen, at least while I was testing to build my section, if I'm remembering correctly.
7NameSam
hey
Pronouns: they/them

Post by 7NameSam »

I'm super happy my section was the youtube thumbnail!
FluffyMeatloaf
a delectable bean burrito

Post by FluffyMeatloaf »

Yeah, sorry about yesterday. Could've got my points across with less hostility.

You only have yourself to blame

Let's see how this gooooes.

REDNAXELA - A sweet intro screen that offers a power-up of choice. I remember it being pretty cool, too, and it still is, so great job.
raocow - Ah, Serac's murderous ways. A good way to get things off to a running start, though, ha.
ZYGLROX ODYSSEY - Seems a lot harder to take things from the ground route here. The bubbles slowing down the falling pipes is a neat touch.
FFR - Pastroni!? Funny change to the Blarg. Blargg. However many g's it takes.
RENATURNIP - Cool fast mushrooms and jumpin' dude. The fast stake is also cool with its warning and all.
DOG IN DA GRASS - Too bad, zig zag time!! (really funny transition)
HARDCORE CRISPY - I think Larry's talking about being trapped by the launched shells? Dunno why Boom-Boom's been incarcerated, though.
WILLHART - Haha, anti-welcomes. I like how coins are just kinda being placed along up top.
FROZENQUILLS - When I would try to test the relay, I would spawn on this screen, in the ground, for no reason! Hooray for peculiarities! But really, this is a pretty awesome time stop bit that makes use of shells and slopes in neat ways.
QUIETPROTAG - I like how the Goomba melty mill is used as an obstacle you gotta jump through kinda quickly.
SNIGGERB0BBLE - A fun puzzle with a funny prize. Good use of attaching something to a Paratroopa.
KINGTWELVESIXTEEN - Something amusing about the slightly smaller midpoint. Too bad the voice must be lost to climb.
7NAMESAM - Portugal seems to be a ways after the end of the world, huh. I like the Jelectrocopter.
GARLYLE - Very SMB2. The pointless buried ammo against a secretly friendly Snifit is funny.
DITOCOAF - Neat little red coin bit for a dragon coin. And also Goomba dispensers.
HOELOE - I don't think this was supposed to potentially become synchronized dancing with bees, but that's kinda funny XP Also I forgot Serac was the one truly responsible for the evaporating bees. Great job again on coding this, yo, even if it... kinda went awry here, it seems. Maybe.
ISRIERI - Sneaky footballs and players of football! Cool to offer a Yoshi, though, I think some folks were saying how he's been underrepresented here in MaGLX 2.
FUSIONWARRIOR - Something really great about Horikawa, destroyer of clams.
OMETEOTL - Bit of a puzzly collect-the-gammas section. Neat. [ispoiler]Kinda bigger than a single screen but chances are there'll be a ton of other folks pointing that out :P If not, then just me, making me feel awkward[/ispoiler]
KUPOSAN3/SHAGG - Funny dialogue, ha. That Goomba really should've thought things through more.
NO LYNCH - Cool vine... supports? I guess Bowser needs to involve himself in other projects to afford rebuilding all his fortresses.
KERKEC - A party's a pretty nice place to be randomly teleported to. Some of these party-goers could use some help, though...
REDMAGEMIKE - A stupendous floating portrait of coins, I must say.
LOVELYBCHAN - Pretty sweet clock arrangement. Cool how a bit of observation can get you by.
NOTERDAY - Kinda funny how the SMBX relay wound up having one of these mazes, too, aha. Very inline with the look of the moon, and fairly complex.
LUNATIC QUARK - Ah, I remember the old apartments graphic being a bit less horror-movie-y. I guess Waluigi isn't bothered by his living space being on the moon.
SAJEWERS - Bed time will continue into the next part, it seems.

This relay's going at a pretty nice clip. It's nice to have the tougher bits offset by more jokey / easygoing sections.
cursedjerky

Post by cursedjerky »

Todays video place looked really fun! I really like the cohesive feeling a lot of those screens gave! It made it feel more like one big thing and not many little things!
Zephyr_DragonLord
The dragon awakens...!
First name: Zach

Re: MaGL X2 - Randomness ensues

Post by Zephyr_DragonLord »

Haha..... that was a serious amount of randomness.

Waluigi's playable after all!

The bees could have been a roadblock if they didn't have a strange repellant to bizarre humans. By the way, raocow's pronunciation of company is amazing.
Hammer brothers are great, and want there to be hammerhead brothers!

What a way to end a video, by the way.... I like this relay so far!
I am prone to almost everything... except spontaneous violence.
Any questions, concerns, or aspirations you have with me can go to the PM box... Now here's a quote:
raocow wrote:I know there is a population on Earth. They like to populate. I like to gesticulate. We're friends!
(It was about time)
Hoeloe
A2XT person

Post by Hoeloe »

Zephyr_DragonLord wrote: The bees could have been a roadblock if they didn't have a strange repellant to bizarre humans.
Yeah, it looks like math.random broke them again.
Sturg
Gets his freak on with VGM
First name: sturgyman

Post by Sturg »

man it feels something pleasant watching this
ImageImage
Image ImageImage
RIP FISH NIPPLE BANNER
Zephyr_DragonLord
The dragon awakens...!
First name: Zach

Post by Zephyr_DragonLord »

Hoeloe wrote:
Zephyr_DragonLord wrote: The bees could have been a roadblock if they didn't have a strange repellant to bizarre humans.
The strange part is that they worked the first time.... Maybe upon death, the bees stop working?
I am prone to almost everything... except spontaneous violence.
Any questions, concerns, or aspirations you have with me can go to the PM box... Now here's a quote:
raocow wrote:I know there is a population on Earth. They like to populate. I like to gesticulate. We're friends!
(It was about time)
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

oh i like the lua for the item selector o:

also leaving in the dead mario is incredible, i love it
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
S1eth

Post by S1eth »

Ivy wrote:oh i like the lua for the item selector o:
I played this level so much, and I never realized that ducking (of all things) changes the power-up.
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

S1eth wrote: I played this level so much, and I never realized that ducking (of all things) changes the power-up.
I caught that. I grabbed a Tanooki and hammer suit every time, because why not.

I did a lot of playtesting on this level, so it's very familiar to me. I have no idea what Horikawa did for the end of it, though.

I didn't think it would take two videos, but then, I may have forgotten just how long it is. Or just gotten used to it with all the times I went through to test stuff. At least the second part won't be one person going ridiculously overboard, though!

Comments on various things:
Huh, so the spike wall only appears when you go far enough forward? I never realized that.

WALUIGI TIME

The shells immediately after the Waluigi transition nearly always hit me. I was only able to get by them safely with hammers. I think they had their generation rate slowed down, but it's still pretty tough.

You got past the Welcome Cats in pretty much the same way I did.

Those goombas on QuietProtag's screen used to generate faster, too. I found it was a little too fast to get through without a hit reliably. They're much more manageable now.

I never had the bees break on me like that, and I did that part quite a few times. I guess the Snifit broke things somehow? Never tried bringing one.

Fun fact, you can skip Ometeotl's section if you have a tail. Just don't read the sign. You can also skip FusionWarrior and Shagg's obstacles entirely.

I was not a fan of the invisible maze, and I wasn't the only one, but it felt against the spirit of things to remove it. We settled on making it so you'd have to go out of your way to die before the next midpoint after doing it (hence the water afterwards, instead of a bottomless pit).

Also, the apartment complex is modified from Roo's animations, if the Wacow message didn't tip you off.
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

idk why but i found it adorable when raocow tried to read the tiny illegible writing on the waluigi apartment
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

raocow, you missed the fire cat and serac in disco town!
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Kerkec

Post by Kerkec »

seeing this finally completed is great, it's so much condensed nonsense

I see waluigi used some bug repellent before entering the bee section, though

also, for anyone wondering, serac on top of the dance party hut thing says something like "disco is dead, please join it"

I think the fire cat says something too if you can get to it quickly enough, but I forget

and now we wait for waluigi to awaken
Zygl

Post by Zygl »

FluffyMeatloaf wrote:ZYGLROX ODYSSEY - Seems a lot harder to take things from the ground route here. The bubbles slowing down the falling pipes is a neat touch.
The upper route's a bit trickier if you don't have a leaf - you have to jump across the falling pipes as they're sinking through the bubbles, which isn't quite as easy as it looks as I recall - but why would one not have a leaf three screens into a level where you're given all the powers in the world at the start. Yeaaaah, I kinda did a dumb there. >_>
I was also hoping the dude after me would continue the upper/lower path thing, but instead it converges into a tunnel and is super disappointing. :\
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

Seeing this and the SMBX community's relay back to back leads me to believe that whoever organized the Talkhaus's relay put a lot more effort into making sure all of the parts connected and were actually doable (i.e. multiple midpoints, connecting gimmicks, etc). I'm starting to wonder if enough communication was even given to the SMBX community on what was expected of them beyond "yeah make some one screen areas and compile them", and now I kind of feel bad for thinking their level was so disconnected.
FourteenthOrder
(zeal on discord)

Post by FourteenthOrder »

That visual pun with Horikawa destroying the oyster amused me way more than it probably should have.
Sniggerb0bble
These arms ain't ever going down.

Post by Sniggerb0bble »

Many thanks to Aqualakitu for respriting the Waa/Megaphone for my segment. I originally drew it myself, and it was terrible and awful and icky like my drawing usually is, haha. As a fellow Waluigi fan person man I thought it would be a funny little thing to make. Also, I thought I should put my own stamp on my segment, which is why Haiku Cat is a thing. Haiku Cat knows all.

I've personally only seen a little more after this, so I'm curious to see what else remains afterwards.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

FourteenthOrder wrote:That visual pun with Horikawa destroying the oyster amused me way more than it probably should have.
oh wow NOW I get it
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Hoeloe
A2XT person

Post by Hoeloe »

Zephyr_DragonLord wrote:
Hoeloe wrote:
The strange part is that they worked the first time.... Maybe upon death, the bees stop working?
They didn't work the first time, raocow just ran into them.
ztarwuff
What the heck is a flair and why am I being asked to write one for my profile?

Post by ztarwuff »

raocow wrote:
FourteenthOrder wrote:That visual pun with Horikawa destroying the oyster amused me way more than it probably should have.
oh wow NOW I get it
Heh. Well we obviously know now what you're NOT spending your money on.
alleightbits
START PLAY!
First name: Brian
Pronouns: he/him

Post by alleightbits »

oh man randomness that works surprisingly well!
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator
First name: Rena

Re: MaGL X2 - Merlyn x Jumping

Post by TaviTurnip »

BEES Image
FluffyMeatloaf wrote:RENATURNIP - Cool fast mushrooms and jumpin' dude. The fast stake is also cool with its warning and all.
So... I just did a quick playthrough of the relay up to my section since I have the old version on my laptop, and, yes I REALLY DID make the ceiling stake trap you that fast xD I don't think it's bad per se but holy shit I would not have made it that sudden if I had a chance to do it over. The warning spike is fine but the red isn't even easy to see. (Hi I like to put obstacle warnings in all my SMBx stuff.)

By the way, the green-haired JUMP girl is Merlyn, one of my characters. I added her because I already had the sprite made

for no particular reason from my Lost Levels level

and I needed someone to jump! And I'm kind of touched that not one, but two people reused her ;w; (What does she say in FQ's section?)

A better look at her in case for any reason she becomes MaGL canon :1 (Canonically an artist now????)

All that aside, I agree with Sturg 100%, this is just plain awesome and pleasant to watch. This relay, thus far, doesn't really feel disjointed at all, and for some reason it just fills me with good feelings to watch it >_> I really love it <3 You guys did some really neat stuff and I'm glad I stayed blind to it after Sniggerb0bble's part.
I regularly stream on Twitch! with other members of the talkhaus. Come watch Monday, Tuesday and Friday at 2PM for blind playthroughs and Pokémon and Touhou and stuff. Come hang out with us!