(shouting)

Turnip sketches: actually pixels

so this is where you can post any art related type things! i bet you couldn't have figured that out for yourself, huh! "I" still needs uppercase you dummy - oh yeah!? fight me!
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator
First name: Rena

Re: Turnip sketches: meow

Post by TaviTurnip »

Last night's sketch that I didn't complete until today. Might be of interest to Willhart. I'm happy with it >.>

Tonight's sketch, honestly very uninspired and with very bad breasts and legs and face and with very bad everything. I'm not upset with her but I basically forced myself to do her as a second sketch tonight to make up for the gap and I wasn't "into it" so she is not that great :P

I wanna draw Demo or something but I've tested it out and chibi is super ultra hard for me. For some reason the past literally five attempts to draw Demo in an "action" pose have all turned out idiotic :c I'm not sure what the trouble is. Demo seems super hard to pose for or make interesting.
I regularly stream on Twitch! with other members of the talkhaus. Come watch Monday, Tuesday and Friday at 2PM for blind playthroughs and Pokémon and Touhou and stuff. Come hang out with us!
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Sports :3

That is a pretty neat pose.
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator

Post by TaviTurnip »

Willhart wrote:Sports :3

That is a pretty neat pose.
:3

I'm glad you noticed the turnip signature, and I'm glad I could acknowledge you via pencil, but the turnip itself seems to look worse and worse each time I draw it ;____; I need to teach myself the turnip.
Explanation on the paper c: She was almost naked but I decided the pose was too wild to leave her that way (which is to say it looked insanely suggestive/sexual), so I made her decent before finishing.
I regularly stream on Twitch! with other members of the talkhaus. Come watch Monday, Tuesday and Friday at 2PM for blind playthroughs and Pokémon and Touhou and stuff. Come hang out with us!
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator

Post by TaviTurnip »

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]I almost didn't do this, but I somehow convinced myself to try this type of pulling pose. I think it's like a 6/10 in terms of posing.... but that is not how you put your hands on a sword, ever >~> Please don't try this at home (or anywhere) kids.
Willhart
Banned

Post by Willhart »

The character from the earlier post reminds me a bit of Roll from Megaman. It might just be the boots and the hair though.

Those legs are probably pretty difficult to draw too. The second pose still works quite well on conveying them pulling a sword from the ground.
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator

Post by TaviTurnip »

Willhart wrote:The character from the earlier post reminds me a bit of Roll from Megaman. It might just be the boots and the hair though.

Those legs are probably pretty difficult to draw too. The second pose still works quite well on conveying them pulling a sword from the ground.
The Roll thing was an accident-turned-joke. I have a bad habit of being one of those artists who gives everyone bangs to cover the area between the face and ears, and once you add a ponytail it looks a lot like Roll (or Samus) and since these aren't colored in, a lot of bits of clothing or armor make her look like one of those two and so I gave her Roll-like boots for this one :P

For the most part though I'm trying to focus on actions for these sketches and not so much outfits, that's a different sort of creative mood, like the difference between wanting to construct a level and wanting to write the dialogue for it, so I'm not creative with that part `~` Thanks as always for the comments.
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator

Post by TaviTurnip »

A new week, a new set of increasingly bad sketches :1

This was mostly a suggestion/request from a friend and I ended up doing what I feel is a really bad job. Not much else to say >.>; Just not a great way to start the sketch week off. I might not have time to sketch tomorrow because of changes at work.
Willhart
Banned

Post by Willhart »

meow is still a relevant thread title. It's not too bad, and the composition looks fairly natural for them. I also like the face/expression.
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator

Post by TaviTurnip »

I'm trying to test out faces and expressions and like some head angles, as of tonight I don't want everything to be "tilt head, look at viewer" but it's hard to really feel inclined to practice hard stuff with only a little free time to do so each night. So I mostly just aim at anatomy and poses for now :<
Case in point.

Mostly I was trying to make her more lithe without being super skinny or super hips/waist, but I kind of rushed at the end and nyeeeh.

Nyeh >:o
Willhart
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Are they a tiger, or do they just have a striped tail?
Wolfolotl
cryptid
First name: ovid
Pronouns: xe/xem/xyr

Post by Wolfolotl »

your poses are really nice!! it's always interesting for a character to be posed dynamically than standing stiff and still
it's a skill I didn't learn until fairly recently in my art journey, and it's stunted me quite a bit I think
:nb_pride:
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator

Post by TaviTurnip »

Thanks guys c:
Willhart wrote:Are they a tiger, or do they just have a striped tail?
Tavi's a grey cat based on an actual cat we used to have that was used for reference during design... things didn't really stay similar, but that's how it started <.<; I've never really labeled her as any particular species, just a grey cat :P Which is to say yes her tail has always just been striped just because.
Image For an apt representation of her colors + showing that her hands are naturally "gloved" like a cat's might be. (We have an outdoor cat right now with one white leg and three black ones, he's cool <3)

Drawn from home because I didn't do anything yesterday and I found a way to psyche myself into drawing. I'm still at home today too. No matter what I did, I couldn't seem to get the back of her to not look like the front of a torso and I'm kinda mad about it. The curve by the shoulder is actually an improvement over an earlier shape, I assure you <_< I think what I really needed to do here was move both shoulders inward, but hindsight and such. I used no references (I was trying to emulate my at-work environment as best I could) so I don't particularly regret it, I just wish I'd figured it out before finishing :P

Drawing from behind is hard :(
Willhart
Banned

Post by Willhart »

That is very cute. The right leg looks maybe a little thinner from the tight than the left one, but I'm not sure on how to change it. The two lines near the shoulders help a lot, and the picture looks clean and challenging.
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator

Post by TaviTurnip »

I had some difficulty with her far leg, yeah. It's just a matter of practice.

I'm kinda mad because my garbage phone (I'm serious, it's literally a junk phone) officially went from useless to actually non-functional, so I can only take photos with the 3DS which is awful for photography in poorly lit places or at all ever but I think the phone just needs a new battery so it might be saveable in the future. In the meantime, squint and you might be able to see Isabelle :(

Updated with a version you can actually see. Still no promises that I'll be able to keep doing this, though.
Last edited by TaviTurnip 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Willhart
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Taking photos of sketches with a camera has a nice effect, especially with the indoor lighting. Both of them look good, but I cannot quite read the text on the left.
ZephyrBurst
A Bird Cat
Pronouns: He

Post by ZephyrBurst »

"Somehow MGR ____ equals Isabelle
idk"

Just can't see that one word. These latest drawings you've done have been pretty adorable.
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator

Post by TaviTurnip »

Yeah that's the one word my other friends couldn't make out either. I just updated her with a better photo if you guys wanna see :x I dunno what I'll do after tonight but I don't intend to stop drawing, at least. It's just a bit discouraging.
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator

Post by TaviTurnip »

Kinda blah but I started it on Sunday night instead of getting it all done at once, so it's a case of "I just did whatever to finish it", mostly angles are confused and that lifted leg is in its like sixth attempted placement :P It's blah. I stop stressing myself over it if it takes longer than a day, that's what next time is for!

I have to figure out what I'll draw next time, now.
ZephyrBurst
A Bird Cat

Post by ZephyrBurst »

Ah, the erase marks.

I've noticed you draw a lot of non-standard poses (whatever that is) instead of what I mostly see. (Standing, seemingly posing for the camera)

How about her doing a hand stand. The only reason I suggest it is so I can see her shirt fall upward, obviously.
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator

Post by TaviTurnip »

ZephyrBurst wrote:How about her doing a hand stand. The only reason I suggest it is so I can see her shirt fall upward, obviously.
viewtopic.php?f=8&p=334701#p331992 <-- Enjoy :P

I don't take too much offense to doing standing poses in pixel art, but in drawings it's like zzzz what's the point? If it's not a reference image, there's really nothing for me to gain either for fun or for skills by just doing practice poses. Only if I'm trying to come up with a new outfit, and even then I still shy away from it :x
ZephyrBurst
A Bird Cat

Post by ZephyrBurst »

Of course, and I had seen that image just yesterday too. Turn her into a ballerina.
TheFinalSentinel
Low rates,%Percent%signs%, I dunno
First name: £ٌœ'ƒھ‡ح¼円Qف-‹";ôىù♪ïظ§»ھ
https://thefinalsentinel.talkhaus.com/

Post by TheFinalSentinel »

How did I end up here? I never go on the art board...
THE ART IS NICE BY THE WAY.
And don't worry Rena; deep down inside, we're all disgusting furries... in our heart. Image
Huh? No, wait... is that just me? Oh...
RenaTurnip wrote:Image
For some reason this one in particular stands out to me. Don't know why.
I feel like it might be that she wouldn't look out of place in this one idea I had for a fighting game this one time.
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator

Re: Turnip sketches: darlings

Post by TaviTurnip »

TheFinalSentinel wrote:How did I end up here? I never go on the art board...
You were interested in knowing who the heck this 8th placer you've never heard of was :T And I am very fond of that sprite, thanks <3 It's one of the pieces that means a lot to me.

FIXED PHOTO HYPE there used to be a grainy photo here

EDIT: I drew a second thing and it's blatantly NSFW and I'm not going to link it, but I wish I could because I like attention :T
Last edited by TaviTurnip 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Pikabread
we're gonna talk about e
First name: lily
Pronouns: she/her/xe/xem

Post by Pikabread »

I mean, if you link offsite with proper warnings I'm sure it's fine? We just try to keep that material off the forum itself

that's a very nice mettaton though
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator

Re: Turnip sketches: darlings

Post by TaviTurnip »

Pikabread wrote:I mean, if you link offsite with proper warnings I'm sure it's fine? We just try to keep that material off the forum itself

that's a very nice mettaton though
Nah I mean I'll probably never do that, I just WISH I could, and not because I wanna link dirty things. I'm just the kind of person who when I get ANYTHING done I want to show it off >_> Regardless of context. Thanks though.

Also I got a better shot, you can actually see him now. I edited last post :1 Also here, have a friend because it was on my camera.