(shouting)

Episode 2 Discussion Thread

The second SMBX collab!

Name

Poll ended at 8 years ago

A Super Mario Bros X Thing Episode 3 (PTTS = Ep1)
No votes
A Super Mario Bros X Thing Episode 2 (PTTS = Ep0)
7%
A Second Mario Bros X Thing Episode 2
73%
A Third Mario Bros X Thing
20%

Total votes: 15

docopoper
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Nulla non pharetra enim, nec maximus odio.
First name: Shane Farrell
Pronouns: they/he

Re: Episode 2 Discussion Thread

Post by docopoper »

Would it be possible to make lives into just a number? So that going into negative lives does nothing and you can go over 99. That would make them redundant while still being somewhat enjoyable to collect.
The first thing I would do with infinite power would be to make myself a cave where I could look at my shadow forever.

Image <- Go team Yeah Doctor Shemp.!
Image <- That's everyone being nice to me. ^^

I made a game called Utter Confusion! Play it! :D
It's a lot of fun and has been incredibly popular at every indie game dev party I've brought it to.
snoruntpyro
cutest girl 2023
Pronouns: she/her

Post by snoruntpyro »

Maybe we could have some sort of "black market" that takes lives as a currency and gives you rare or special items, ala the Frog Coin shop from SMRPG.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

The idea I had was an option between lives or demos. You picked "lives", it's just like it currently is.

If you picked "demos", you'd never lose lives, and they would just be a number of how many 1ups you collected, and they would go over 99.
Pyro wrote:Maybe we could have some sort of "black market" that takes lives as a currency and gives you rare or special items, ala the Frog Coin shop from SMRPG.
We have the raocoin counter for that. No use in replicating that.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Imaynotbehere4long
Gone, but...yeah, pretty much forgotten.

Post by Imaynotbehere4long »

SAJewers wrote:It wouldn't, as it's possible someone might want to disable pausing the game in their level.
You could still probably make it so that pushing start will show song credits, even if it doesn't pause the game.
My SMBX portfolio:
(includes a Sonic 3D Blast styled level.)

SOMEONE ANSWER MY CRY FOR HELP: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... =69&t=2026
snoruntpyro
cutest girl 2023

Post by snoruntpyro »

SAJewers wrote: We have the raocoin counter for that. No use in replicating that.
By "ala the frog coin shop" I meant that the raocoin shop would still be there, it's just that there would be a secret shop that took lives instead for even better and rarer things. Sorry if I wasn't clear.
docopoper
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Nulla non pharetra enim, nec maximus odio.
First name: Shane Farrell
Pronouns: they/he

Post by docopoper »

The problem with using lives as a currency is that you can grind lives. Actually, now that I think about it: The only problem with lives in SMBX is that when you get a game over you start with very few lives. If you came back with 20 lives or something the life system would actually be quite good.
The first thing I would do with infinite power would be to make myself a cave where I could look at my shadow forever.

Image <- Go team Yeah Doctor Shemp.!
Image <- That's everyone being nice to me. ^^

I made a game called Utter Confusion! Play it! :D
It's a lot of fun and has been incredibly popular at every indie game dev party I've brought it to.
WasabiJellyfish

Post by WasabiJellyfish »

docopoper wrote:The problem with using lives as a currency is that you can grind lives. Actually, now that I think about it: The only problem with lives in SMBX is that when you get a game over you start with very few lives. If you came back with 20 lives or something the life system would actually be quite good.
Also the whole having to play through an entire world again is a problem.
Imaynotbehere4long

WasabiJellyfish wrote:Also the whole having to play through an entire world again is a problem.
You mean "an entire half a level"? Because the only thing Game Overs don't save are checkpoints.
My SMBX portfolio:

SOMEONE ANSWER MY CRY FOR HELP: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... =69&t=2026
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

docopoper wrote:The problem with using lives as a currency is that you can grind lives.
I'm thinking that as long as the rewards for the currency are inherently optional, it shouldn't be a big deal that the currency is prone to grinding or otherwise easy to find. Games like Nitroid were fine giving out currency items like candy because what they can purchase are mere convenience items, like heal and anytime "quit to world select", that weren't required in theory or (for most of the game) in practice. So it may depend in part on what the currency can purchase.
WasabiJellyfish

Post by WasabiJellyfish »

Imaynotbehere4long wrote:
WasabiJellyfish wrote:Also the whole having to play through an entire world again is a problem.
You mean "an entire half a level"? Because the only thing Game Overs don't save are checkpoints.
Oh, well I guess that's better than haha, I wasn't sure. Lives are still kind of an archaic system though.
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

I'll look into starting testing sometime in the next few days, list up to date SA?
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
QubicTom
Pleasantly Confused
First name: Tom

Post by QubicTom »

Regarding the lives discussion, I think the idea of the game over being disabled and allowing the number of lives to go negative is hilarious :lol: I think it would get a great reaction out of everyone when they play the game for the first time (keep it a secret and make sure there is no life farms for maximum effect!).

If lives are just another collectable, it could be a way to make points more useful - get +1 to the life counter every 50,000 points or something like that. The score right now is just so disappointingly redundant in SMBX.
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

pholtos wrote:I'll look into starting testing sometime in the next few days, list up to date SA?
I'll update it in a bit.

EDIT: And done.
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Something I just realized: I don't think there are lot of levels with secret exits.
Imaynotbehere4long

SAJewers wrote:Something I just realized: I don't think there are lot of levels with secret exits.
I actually prefer it that way since Episode 1 had quite a few levels whose secret exits were just shortcuts to other levels (or just lead to a joke) instead of leading to a town or a secret level with a leek. Besides, you could always make the town the start of the world if you're really running short on levels with secret exits.
My SMBX portfolio:

snoruntpyro
cutest girl 2023

Post by snoruntpyro »

SAJewers wrote:Something I just realized: I don't think there are lot of levels with secret exits.
The thing is, secret exits have a high chance of just lowering the level's quality or outright ruining the level (Bubble Trouble), so rather than making a level with two exits people just make a one-exit level to be safer.

And honestly, unless the level is REALLY good, learning that there's a secret exit honestly takes me way, way out of it.
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

SAJewers wrote:
pholtos wrote:I'll look into starting testing sometime in the next few days, list up to date SA?
I'll update it in a bit.

Where do I find em?
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Currently playing:

SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

pholtos wrote:
SAJewers wrote:
I'll update it in a bit.

Where do I find em?
Your Doc: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1J8V ... Fr-jU/edit
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

No no no I mean the levels so I can download them.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Currently playing:

Hoeloe
A2XT person

Post by Hoeloe »

I suggest making a change in the LuaScriptsLib folder in the A2XT base game. I was watching some of Pyro's reviews and noticed that multipoints uses the vanilla SMBX graphic. The fix is quite easy, it just requires changing the mp.png file in LuaScriptsLib->Multipoints to this:

SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

I already did that some time ago.
pholtos wrote:No no no I mean the levels so I can download them.
http://asmbxt.wikia.com/wiki/A2MBXT_Lev ... ng_Reviews
WestonSmith
Bunny

Post by WestonSmith »

So, I see some very early world building has started on the wiki. Obviously, nothing is set in stone, and I do think the proper procedure is to let the submitted levels build the games structure and plot, but I'm gonna toss a few planet names out there based on plants. Also a couple of ideas.

World 1: Planet Clover - An "Irish" style planet, wish lush green grass, old style castles, lighthouses, lots of sheep, and a few boggy swamp lands.

World 2: Planet Boxwood - The snow planet. No real ideas, just a themed name.

World 3: Planet Cholla - The standard desert planet. Well, until you find your way into Demo's Journey Through Time. Since the level ends in the past, it would be SUPER cool if that caused the entire map to revert to the past as well. Suddenly, the desert planet might be lush and full of life once again.

World 4: Planet Liverwort - The cave planet. No real ideas, just a theme name.

World 5: Planet Cragside - The name is a reference to the location of the first power plant, thus keeping the theme naming alive (sort of).

World 6: Planet Posidonia - Water levels aren't overly common, mostly because they're hard to make work and can be tedious in a row. Having said that, I'm down for a water planet that's not really a water planet. I'd suggest pulling from MAGLX and having this be the home of Dracula's Castle. Make this a sort of cross up between water levels and creepy/haunted level. (SIDE NOTE: Sea Side Slumber would probably fit better in World 1, and wouldn't be out of place in an Irish themed world).

World 7: Planet Cannabis - Really, any "trippy" plant name would work, I just went for the obvious one. I'm not sure how a WTF world works, so I can't comment anything past the name.

World 8: Planet Redwood - The tallest trees seem fitting for the Sky Planet. It'd be cool to pull a reverse SMB3, and have the player start in the clouds before finding a tower to work their way down (Descent of Nine, possibly?). The ground planet could be the more traditional end game planet, with the dark gloomy stuff.

Just some thoughts. Still way too early to set anything in stone.
Hoeloe
A2XT person

Post by Hoeloe »

WestonSmith wrote:
World 3: Planet Cholla - The standard desert planet. Well, until you find your way into Demo's Journey Through Time. Since the level ends in the past, it would be SUPER cool if that caused the entire map to revert to the past as well. Suddenly, the desert planet might be lush and full of life once again.
Really like this idea, and it would work super well with the town I have in mind, if we can pull it off.
WestonSmith wrote:
World 7: Planet Cannabis - Really, any "trippy" plant name would work, I just went for the obvious one. I'm not sure how a WTF world works, so I can't comment anything past the name.
I would be tempted to do something like set this world in hyperspace. Would be cool to have something slightly different than just "planet with X theme", and a planet situated in hyperspace could be sufficiently interesting, and account for all the weirdness going on.
WestonSmith wrote:
World 8: Planet Redwood - The tallest trees seem fitting for the Sky Planet. It'd be cool to pull a reverse SMB3, and have the player start in the clouds before finding a tower to work their way down (Descent of Nine, possibly?). The ground planet could be the more traditional end game planet, with the dark gloomy stuff.
I don't think the Descent of Nine will fit here. It's a postgame level really, and is more about a metaphysical descent than a physical one. It's not really the right fit for this section.

That said, I'm sure we won't struggle to find a level with some downwards verticality to use. This idea is neat.
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Whatever names we use, let's try not to use "Planet" as much as possible in the naming, like with Ep1 (and SMB3, for that matter, which had "___ Land" for world names)
ztarwuff
What the heck is a flair and why am I being asked to write one for my profile?

Post by ztarwuff »

Does it have to be a world? Why can't we have one gigantic map with continents linked together. That way if somebody does get trapped in a "world" they don't like because it's too difficult to be fun, they can use the "I'll park where I want" cheat code to escape.