(shouting)

MaGL X2 - Cat Planet × Pokemon OTP

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator
First name: Rena

Re: MaGL X2 - Horikawa x Updating the Thread OTP

Post by TaviTurnip »

I'm amazed that "Horikawa 90, someone else 68" is still a rating this high into the contest... I honestly still think the top 3-5 won by just happening to tickle all the judges' fancies simultaneously.
I regularly stream on Twitch! with other members of the talkhaus. Come watch Monday, Tuesday and Friday at 2PM for blind playthroughs and Pokémon and Touhou and stuff. Come hang out with us!
Draexzhan
Flair text
First name: Nathan
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Draexzhan »

That first level was definitely reminiscent of spoonybard's level last year. I wouldn't call it as good, but to be fair, that IS a tall order. It was a great level. my main quip is that the boss seemed like rather lazy design.

The Rex level? Well, that brought a smile to my face. I liked it. It did look like a mess to control, but it was pretty damn funny.
Signature text.
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

I tested Kerkec's level. It was pretty tough, but I only had two real issues.

The first was the floating bone platforms before you fall down the shaft. I found that to be a blind jump and usually that lead to me falling down and getting hit by the Rotodisc fireballs. I remember Kerkec fixing that, but the bottom layer looked blind again in the video? I may need to double-check the version I've got. Maybe it was just that the jump was at the extreme of Peach's range and now it isn't.

The second part I had trouble with was the boss. I think I might not have managed to beat it legitimately. Don't think anything in particular was changed, though.

Other than that, I found it to be solid; good layout, and all the obstacles were reasonably learnable. The second half was tough, but I was able to make it to the boss consistently after only a few tries.

(my memory may be a bit fuzzy here, this was months ago after all)

I don't have as much to say about DogInDaGrass' level because I wasn't a tester. It looked fun in a chaotic way, though.
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
Lejes
https://lejes.talkhaus.com/

Post by Lejes »

Is that sunglasses Toad the mysterious Lumbar we've heard so much about?
LunarRainbowShyGuy

Post by LunarRainbowShyGuy »

The first level today had a lot of interesting obstacles that made good use of Peach's hover ability. The bosses were also pretty good. I don't know why raocow thought you can't pick up bombs while running full speed, because you definitely can. The real reason he was having so much trouble picking up bombs was because he kept turning around right before he ran into the bombs.

I don't have much to say about the second level, because it looks like the kind of level that's difficult to tell how it plays unless you play it yourself.

Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

LunarRainbowShyGuy wrote:The first level today had a lot of interesting obstacles that made good use of Peach's hover ability. The bosses were also pretty good. I don't know why raocow thought you can't pick up bombs while running full speed, because you definitely can. The real reason he was having so much trouble picking up bombs was because he kept turning around right before he ran into the bombs.
In my experience they do tend to be somewhat inconsistent when running full speed. I can't recall what boss it was in what episode but I had a similar issue against a SMBX boss awhile back and in my case at least it definitely wasn't a matter of turning around. I'd have to slow down or I'd just run straight through the bomb. I think it actually was Peach in my case too so maybe it's something that only occurs with her?
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

raocow wrote:next video is a three level video

think hard about possible implications and start worrying!
This means that we are very close to the winners of the mafab, and the hub number 20.

I'm excited.
Dog In Da Grass
Woof!
First name: Dog
Pronouns: that dog

Post by Dog In Da Grass »

Katazuki wrote:Dog asked me to test his level, but I wanted to be surprised with it appearing in the contest. And honestly I did enjoy what I saw. Congrats on 16th place, boyo!
Thanks! I made my original goal of top 20 so that makes me a happy pup!
WestonSmith, Raximus, Shinbison-Kof, sedron, Ometeotl, Willhart, and SpoonyBardOL! I'll get you all next time!
Blivsey wrote:Now did you use Ethno Circus so you could make a taco joke, or did you make a taco joke so you could use Ethno Circus?
sonic rush had a wonderful soundtrack
Also, man, look at those dumb shades Image
The joke and music kinda happened at the same time!
In hindsight I should of made Umbra a playable character for this level!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I think it's fair to say that I enjoy my level way more than I probably should, I spent most of last night thinking about my level and laughing uncontrollably. My level definitely suffered from my addiction to play-testing it. I'd spend most of my time playing my level over and over and over out of fun and not getting any progress done to making my level x3 Even up to this point I've gone back to my level to play it more and more just cause I enjoy it so much x3 Very much the best level I've made yet and it's a victory in itself!

I was orriginally wanting to use the name "Link and Gary Oak Meet at Last" but as I was thinking about the level names at my work. When I thought of "Rex" the first thing that came to mind was Rex Wheelie from Kirby Air Ride
(well of course I did, Air Ride is one of my favorite games and totally forgot that Rex was the name of the dinosaur guy in SMW)
everything suddenly took a Mario Kart 64 turn and went nuts in my mind of breaking into a nature preserve and plowing down all the animals and getting chased down by the warden.
The two cannid sprites in the taco shop are of my girlfriend and I, just thought it'd be a silly cameo to put in there.

Anyways, gonna drop a link here for the level and I might do a more in-depth designer commentary of my level later!
http://www.mediafire.com/download/vi8dh ... annah!.zip
Remember to play as toad, the cutscenes don't work otherwise!
:pal: Image :pal:

Learning-Timebuster
First name: Luka
Pronouns: xe or she

Post by Learning-Timebuster »

obviously their name is X Awesome, cousin of Umbra, it even says so in the beginning of the level

Lumbar is Umbra's Canadian lumberjack uncle, of course
"i like bugs"
t
Kerkec

Post by Kerkec »

I really was not expecting to get quite THIS far, I was surprised when I kept not showing up past the 100 mark, and now I see it was all thanks to that dang horikawa

of course I'm kidding, thanks for enjoying it so much

I'm not sure I really have much to say about it as far as commentary goes. It was my first smbx level, yes, and I worked on it for... 2, maybe 3 weeks straight, more or less? I just got really into it and I'm sad that smbx is so hard on my computer. I'd love to mess with it more. raocow specifically mentioned the dialogue, which is funny because honestly it was all written rather quickly and meant to be refined later, but I forgot about it by the end, and I guess it's good that I did if it was enjoyed so much! The ShrinkyDink for example was literally just the first name I thought of. At one point I was also going to have a secret room somewhere with an extra star, but I couldn't find a good and fair hiding spot in what I had already designed, so... yeah. I'm surprised people find the boss so difficult, but then again I'm the designer, so I learned it well. Guess it's good that I didn't buff it more than that. I had thought about it. If it was in MAFAB I probably would have, but as an end-of-level thing... no. On a side note, funnily enough, I remember I became sick for about a week while working on this. E. Gadd didn't help me.

...Okay, I guess I said more than I thought. Whoops.

Anyway, thanks to Dragon Fogel for testing (even though I basically changed nothing afterward), judges for judging (and perhaps carrying a bit, not that I'm complaining), and raocow for play (you had so many narrow dodges on those fireballs that I don't think you even reacted to)

I'm super happy with 17th place, and hopefully I can manage to mess more with this engine

And finally, as for music, aside from the obvious Luigi's Mansion theme and the default ending, all of it is from the Umineko no Naku Koro ni visual novel (and there may be spoilers in these video comments, if that matters to anyone) (which it should, Umineko is amazing and you shouldn't have it spoiled *coughs*)

scar sound
lixAxil
rog limitation

Good luck to whoever's left!!
Imaynotbehere4long
Gone, but...yeah, pretty much forgotten.

Post by Imaynotbehere4long »

LunarRainbowShyGuy wrote:The real reason he was having so much trouble picking up bombs was because he kept turning around right before he ran into the bombs.
I thought it was because he was running into them while they were still being generated (notice how, when they appear, they move slowly downward [generated], then stop and fall after a bit [grab-able]). You can't grab stuff while it's still being generated. The reason it seems weird is that the bombs are being generated from air when, due to the way generators were programmed, they're supposed to be generated from blocks.
My SMBX portfolio:
(includes a Sonic 3D Blast styled level.)

SOMEONE ANSWER MY CRY FOR HELP: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... =69&t=2026
ztarwuff
What the heck is a flair and why am I being asked to write one for my profile?
Location: Within 2 miles of the Imperial Crypt of Napoleon III

Post by ztarwuff »

Oh hey, Dog In Da Grass. Here you are. Nice going, man. Congrats on getting high 90s from Horikawa. I knew you would.
LunarRainbowShyGuy

Alice wrote:
LunarRainbowShyGuy wrote:The first level today had a lot of interesting obstacles that made good use of Peach's hover ability. The bosses were also pretty good. I don't know why raocow thought you can't pick up bombs while running full speed, because you definitely can. The real reason he was having so much trouble picking up bombs was because he kept turning around right before he ran into the bombs.
In my experience they do tend to be somewhat inconsistent when running full speed. I can't recall what boss it was in what episode but I had a similar issue against a SMBX boss awhile back and in my case at least it definitely wasn't a matter of turning around. I'd have to slow down or I'd just run straight through the bomb. I think it actually was Peach in my case too so maybe it's something that only occurs with her?
Well I've tested it in SMBX and the only way I can get Peach to not pick up a bomb (without letting go of the run button) is to face away from it. I tried everything else I could think of, including ducking and sliding into it, hovering into it, letting go of all the directional buttons and letting my momentum carry me into it, and just running into it at full speed, and those all worked. So I'm not sure what else could cause this issue.

Alice

Post by Alice »

LunarRainbowShyGuy wrote:Well I've tested it in SMBX and the only way I can get Peach to not pick up a bomb (without letting go of the run button) is to face away from it. I tried everything else I could think of, including ducking and sliding into it, hovering into it, letting go of all the directional buttons and letting my momentum carry me into it, and just running into it at full speed, and those all worked. So I'm not sure what else could cause this issue.
Are you using a keyboard or a controller? Because raocow is using a controller and I only play using one. Also this may be something worth checking out too:
Imaynotbehere4long wrote:I thought it was because he was running into them while they were still being generated (notice how, when they appear, they move slowly downward [generated], then stop and fall after a bit [grab-able]). You can't grab stuff while it's still being generated. The reason it seems weird is that the bombs are being generated from air when, due to the way generators were programmed, they're supposed to be generated from blocks.
LunarRainbowShyGuy

Alice wrote:
LunarRainbowShyGuy wrote:Well I've tested it in SMBX and the only way I can get Peach to not pick up a bomb (without letting go of the run button) is to face away from it. I tried everything else I could think of, including ducking and sliding into it, hovering into it, letting go of all the directional buttons and letting my momentum carry me into it, and just running into it at full speed, and those all worked. So I'm not sure what else could cause this issue.
Are you using a keyboard or a controller? Because raocow is using a controller and I only play using one. Also this may be something worth checking out too:
Imaynotbehere4long wrote:I thought it was because he was running into them while they were still being generated (notice how, when they appear, they move slowly downward [generated], then stop and fall after a bit [grab-able]). You can't grab stuff while it's still being generated. The reason it seems weird is that the bombs are being generated from air when, due to the way generators were programmed, they're supposed to be generated from blocks.
I use a keyboard. I guess that might have something to do with it. Also, while it is impossible to pick up a bomb while it's being generated, I'm specifically referring to the times when the bomb is just sitting on the ground. Have you had this kind of thing happen with other items? I just tested it with shells and vegetables and those can both be picked up while facing away from them while bombs can't.

Alice

Post by Alice »

LunarRainbowShyGuy wrote:I use a keyboard. I guess that might have something to do with it. Also, while it is impossible to pick up a bomb while it's being generated, I'm specifically referring to the times when the bomb is just sitting on the ground. Have you had this kind of thing happen with other items? I just tested it with shells and vegetables and those can both be picked up while facing away from them while bombs can't.
I've only had it personally happen with bombs. And if you're not having a problem while using a keyboard but I have an issue on controller and rao does as well then it may be something similar to the vine issues raocow has which I've had issues with as well. (Albeit nowhere near as badly as raocow but I still have issues with it.)
Nathan the Talkmaus
Unofficial Talkhaus Mascot

Post by Nathan the Talkmaus »

Dog In Da Grass wrote:The two cannid sprites in the taco shop are of my girlfriend and I, just thought it'd be a silly cameo to put in there.
Hurray for girlfriend sprites!

She decided to break up with me on Halloween night :(

Winner of the Horikawa Blessing 2015
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

RIP nathan's gf

my Pro Tip for dealing with breakups:

never be in a relationship

3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
Imipolex G
very dairy
Pronouns: any

Post by Imipolex G »

Dog in Da Grass's level is my favorite so far. As someone who has made shell-riding levels before I know how fun that can be, and this one had lots of ridiculous dumb humor too. Toad's Mario Kart scream was a perfect touch.

Toad x Awesome
ZephyrBurst
A Bird Cat
Pronouns: He

Post by ZephyrBurst »

These levels have all been super great. I had a grin for most of Dog In Da Grass's level. It looked really wonky, but still fun. That toad might be a bit too cool.
Kerkec's level had a nice atmosphere. The focus on Peach's float was well done too.

That's some great Pro Tip there, Ivy.
FrozenQuills
hehe haha 2024

Post by FrozenQuills »

Man those were 3 awesome link levels. The first one was beautiful and the second one was hilarious, with the third having good design all around, hahah.
Oh yeah and the levels from yesterday were super great too! Kinda echo what everyone else is saying about them; wasn't expecting a great level reminiscent of first place from MaGLX and an absolutely hilarious rex wheelie ride.

Also WOW we're already in the top 12, and my boss coming up soon. Hope y'all are ready I guess.
SMBX Tileset Compiler and Separator
The boss entry that made me eat a shoe.

5th place counter: 5
(SMBX Forums CC11, SMBX Forums CC12, Endgame Madness Contest, SMWC Kaizo Contest 2016, SMWC 24hr Contest 2018)
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

raocow wrote:2 more levels
There is actually only one more level before the bosses. I recommend leaving the bosses to their own video though.

Top 11 next hub because I like to go one step beyond. (You should be more observant).
CloudyCloud

Post by CloudyCloud »

Okay, I think I understand how s1eth does the "show, don't tell" thing.

It works quite perfectly.
You do practice what you preach.

You can try to apply to be game programmer/designer.

(But I wonder: the bouncy thing is already in smbx or you edit with luna? if it is already in smbx, you are indeed VERY good and smart, with the limited resource. If using luna, it is just that you make new resource to use, which is nice too.)
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

one night at percy's
is this where you wanna be?
i just don't get it
where are you gonna pee?
ONE NIGHT AT PERCY'S OHHHHHHHHH
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
FluffyMeatloaf
a delectable bean burrito

Post by FluffyMeatloaf »

Blooper Castle
Really clever use of the statue's sinking. Wasn't even aware of Link's inability to sink normally. The level itself is built very well and the visuals also work nicely, but I'll echo what's been said of it feeling on the shorter side of things.

Wow! Heavy Troopa Arrest Lava Lotuses
Definitely took the name in a bit of an unexpected direction, ha. Really well done all around, and the second half certainly looks suspenseful with narrowly dodging the Percys and racing against the switches and that last security hall. I also like that touch in the first half of leaving a pizza on the conveyor so the player can fill up on hearts without having to lose much time up to the pipe.

Samus and Sheath Meet at Last
Sweet Metroid theme going on here. I think this is the second time the Hazlyn-X was used as a Thwomp? The cute sluggy things are from Fusion, by the way. But yeah, great looking level, and the part leading up to the end appears to provide a nice challenge with that platform ride. (I guess you gotta go fast through that one tight tunnel with the spikes to avoid damage, though)

Wouldn't've thought all three levels today would involve Link. (and Sheath) And being as high up as they are, this episode probably qualifies as a good showing of what the character can do in the engine.