(shouting)

MaGL X2 - Cat Planet × Pokemon OTP

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator
First name: Rena

Re: MaGL X2 - SMB2 x MaGL X2 otp

Post by TaviTurnip »

raocow wrote:oh yeah, btw:

thread regular tomorrow.
It's okay nobody actually wanted to sleep tonight.
I regularly stream on Twitch! with other members of the talkhaus. Come watch Monday, Tuesday and Friday at 2PM for blind playthroughs and Pokémon and Touhou and stuff. Come hang out with us!
phencer42

Post by phencer42 »

I feel like this hub lasted forever. Probably due to the one-level videos. Also, how regular are we talking.
phencer42

Post by phencer42 »

Horikawa Otane wrote:
phencer42 wrote:I feel like this hub lasted forever. Probably due to the one-level videos. Also, how regular are we talking.
Definitely a regular, albeit probably not a daily poster? I could be wrong.
Gah! Now you're just messing with me :P
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

Horikawa Otane wrote:Definitely a regular, albeit probably not a daily poster? I could be wrong.
Obligatory post freaking out at the possibility that it's me.
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Grounder wrote:
Ivy wrote:raocow says "You're a big guy." while kirby music plays in the background

never thought i'd see this moment in my life...
Is it the bane of your existence?
That is one of the most idiotic memes I've ever had the displeasure of seeing.
alleightbits
START PLAY!
First name: Brian
Pronouns: he/him

Post by alleightbits »

I Guess I Should Warn You Ahead of Time, the Torpedo Ted Have the Ability to Invent in the House: This was pretty great. The second star's secret switch maybe needed some indication on what it changed, though.

Bloopers in Canada: Canada is the land of maple syrup, hockey, and flying squids. Pretty awesome.
Roykirbs
what
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by Roykirbs »

oh wow i hardly post at all around here, haha.
So for my level I wanted Party Pokey to return regardless of what level name I picked...and it turned out evil genius assimilating a pokey into a mech was the best direction! :D

So I basically had the beginning and part of the end pretty much set up from the start and alls I got to do was fill the level sandwich with stuff. Being my first full SMBX level I kinda had no real direction to what I wanted to make in between so I basically did everything I could figure out in the engine at that time while staying in-theme.

The biggest issues I had were just Super Mega Party Pokey's graphics and trying to get them set up correctly. the game kinda faught with me on effects graphics so I left in pretty bad cutoff but considering everything past Dr. Ted's formal appearance was just one big flurry of a joke the cutoff may as well be too. :P

I also had issues with smbx activating events properly. I originally wanted Mecha Party Pokey to pop in when Ted left but for whatever reason Pokey just kept on not appearing for no real discernible reason and I had to cut that event out and let Party Pokey just exist.

The secret exit I'm very proud of setting up though. And the message I left makes me feel so embarrassed! oh man!
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

raocow wrote:oh yeah, btw:

thread regular tomorrow.
And away we go.
Wolfolotl
cryptid
First name: ovid
Pronouns: xe/xem/xyr

Post by Wolfolotl »

aaaaAAAAAAAAAAA

also: if I had to swim in maple syrup for more than three seconds I would probably throw up. is this an ability canadians commonly have? please confirm/deny and cite your sources in a format acceptable for a scientific publication
:nb_pride:
Telamon
TO PROTECT PENGUIN MACHINE MERGED THE TRAINING MAN.

Post by Telamon »

I think mythbusters did an episode about swimming in syrup. I forget what they actually used, but it seemed pretty gross.
Kukironosuke
You can call me Kuki
First name: Travis
Pronouns: he/him/kirbys

Post by Kukironosuke »

Blivsey wrote:oh yeah that

I'll do it tomorrow I promise
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

Raobert, you famously musically warned us not to eat a foot, now, and suddenly you're fussing about not being Fuß-fed? Frightful fickleness, fringing on full-forced phoniness. Fie, my fine fellow!
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
Pronouns: she/her
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Post by Blivsey »

well if you're gonna post images like that the deal is off!!!!

(i don't think they were actually that interesting anyway)
convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
FallingSnow
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by FallingSnow »

For the record, I didn't compose the music myself! Horikawa maybe got confused when I had her fix a music misspell when I changed the level filename??

Developer Stuff
As people have mentioned I took a lot of inspiration from the Forest of Illusion world, and people don't really use bubbles in SMBX. I thought it'd be fun to mess around with them. 'Bloopers in Canada' was such a fun name to work with, and I would've added more stereotype jokes if I could come us with them. Though, I think what I ended up with worked pretty well haha.

There's also another reference to Canada kind of hidden in there. When Toad has the Super Leaf power-up, his clothing changes to red instead of staying the same color. This was referencing the Canadian flag. I couldn't really do much with changing his shirt itself aside from the color due to limited pixels. At one time, I wanted the leaf signs to have a maple leaf on them, but I couldn't get a good looking sprite for that either.

As far as my own opinion of the level, I like the second half a lot more. Of course, it has the fun gimmick of airborne bloopers. The first half is kind of boring and needed more platforming I feel like. Though, with the setting I chose, bottomless pits didn't really fit, so not much was that punishing. I didn't want the bloopers to be flying from the start because that seemed more like a twist of the level. Speaking of twists, not long before I made my MAGLX2 level, I was reading a bunch on level design of Super Mario World. It described how Nintendo made their levels and some of the tactics they used to keep them interesting. There was also a section kind of focused on pacing and that sort of thing. It was very informative. Sadly, I've lost the link, so I can't share it. If you look hard enough, you'll probably find it.

But with that knowledge in mind, I tried to make a good "design" level with strong atmosphere. The not-self-composed music is from Samurai Showdown II. I wrote that in a readme file which Horikawa didn't read apparently!! (it's okay I still love you). The colors of the tileset were intended to be Canada in the fall (autumn) since there are a lot of deciduous trees in the more southern section (particularly the eastern half).

And that's about all I have to say. I'll be reading any other non-youtube comments about the level and will answer any questions if they come up. I had fun participating and loved raocow's reactions! :)
My MAGLX Let's Play! - My Channel - Watch My EU4 Demo!
- - - Play my short RPG, Daughter of Sunlight!
Sturg
Gets his freak on with VGM
First name: sturgyman

Post by Sturg »

hey it's the KOOPA BATH HOUSE neat-o
ImageImage
Image ImageImage
RIP FISH NIPPLE BANNER
CloudyCloud

Post by CloudyCloud »

The deceive in Japan level:
As a Southeast-Asia Chinese, I had intended to comment and then complain about how people(especially European and American) stereotyped Chinese and Japanese, but I decided to give up in the end.
Anyway, the yellow block is actually character-pass-through block.(But NPC cannot pass through)
I know because I have made one level using that gimmick also. :3
(I use Mario as the character though.)
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Both levels today were funny. I liked the flowers and the large amount of little details on the second level. The music worked well with the forest, and the creatures encountered there felt like they belonged there. It also had some nice environments, and it looked like there were multiple ways to go about clearing the obstacles.

The first level had A2XT enemies, and some clever deceptions. The boss running to the right at the start was especially clever to me. Furbas look really cute when wearing hats, and the Thwomps are also a nice replacement for flower petals.

KOOPA BATH HOUSE was indeed one of the things that was used on this hub section. The song is Robochickens from Pekka Kana 2. We are also on the top5 hubs now.

Edit: also you probably should not stand on bathtubs.
Last edited by Willhart 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
FluffyMeatloaf
a delectable bean burrito

Post by FluffyMeatloaf »

Back in My Day They Deceived in Japan
A cute level. I like the cherry blossom bits of BG, and the platforming involving the breakable blocks is cool, too. Also kinda confused by the ASMT stuff, though I guess the wizard guy fits...?

Wow! Phanto Commands Hammer Bros
That is some pretty cool use of vanilla stuff, and the fluffy critters are great, too. While I guess it does get a bit visually messy near the end, I kinda like how that presents a sort of puzzle-y way to tackle the traversal.

Can't say I've ever been in a spa, so the yacht spa is giving me more of a big bathroom feel, especially with the tubs and tiled patterns in the background. Still pretty neat, though.
Zephyr_DragonLord
The dragon awakens...!
First name: Zach

Post by Zephyr_DragonLord »

Hm... I don't think we should all be tense about having the level that you made showing up now. It's fairly obvious that it's going to be solid at this point.

Since I'm early... I suppose I'll ask the oft-mentioned question now.
Favorite World 15 levels, everyone?

EDIT:
Okay, I can safely say that my favorite level in World 15 is Eww! The Lava Lotus Are All Covered In Purple, because of the graphics, and having a straightforward nature. This is in spoilers because I wanted this whole discussion to remain unbiased.

In such a field of good levels, it takes quite something to be memorable. I think these two succeeded in that respect.

(62nd) Granix: Back in My Day They Deceived in Japan

And boy, did they ever....

Reality that few would want to remember aside, I liked this level. It seems all scary and threatening (like raocow was making it seem), but the obstacles are not too threatening... besides the yin-yang snakes, and even then, you have a nonsensical shield.
This level looks pretty good, and using ASMT graphics was a really good decision! I love the usage of the monk here; that is the best use I've seen for him yet! Great job here.

(This following level is of the mentioned regular... if you wish to not know, then simply speed past this text. Otherwise...feel free)

(61st) Wolfolotl: Wow! Phanto Commands Hammer Bros

What a way to start a world! This level looks positively great, and the custom sprites are even better, and really sell the atmosphere!
The path is fairly open-ended, as a forest would, and I really like the two distinct halves of the level. The storyboard was also solid. The enemies being implied to have destroyed the level really shows here.
I am prone to almost everything... except spontaneous violence.
Any questions, concerns, or aspirations you have with me can go to the PM box... Now here's a quote:
raocow wrote:I know there is a population on Earth. They like to populate. I like to gesticulate. We're friends!
(It was about time)
FusionWarrior
Super Sayian Mewtwo Genetic Freak
First name: Jon
Pronouns: Anything Goes

Post by FusionWarrior »

Congrats Wolfolotl you deserved to make it this far for sure! Honestly when I first playtested your level I knew it was destined for great things, I'm just glad you took some of my advice, especially on the pixel perfect jumps and owl cannons. This score is 100% you and I'm honored to have been a very minor role in it.

BTW the Owls are Lobsters and you can ride them. The Leaf generator is there so you can power back up if you get hit in skytown.

I can't wait for the level commentary it's gonna be some good stuff.
ImageImage
raocow wrote:dragon ain't having any of my frosted flakes, that's how I feel
Ozzy Ment
Resident biologist
First name: A secret to everyone
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Ozzy Ment »

I don't know about plucking leaves out of branches, but I have made plants grow embryos out of their leaves. And I don't mean seeds; just bloby embryos growing straight out of the leaf.
Anyway, nice levels today. And I have to agree; that forest really felt like a forest.
This fits me far too well:
Wolfolotl
cryptid

Post by Wolfolotl »

aaaaaah golly gee my level is today!! too bad I'm at school and will be until like six in the evening

I don't know if I'll be able to give a full dev commentary but I can probably give some useless dev trivia or something
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Were the backgrounds and the tileset custom too? The colors on those were nice.
Wolfolotl
cryptid

Post by Wolfolotl »

the backgrounds were just recolors, with maybe a few li'l custom touches like the sleepy eyes on the clouds
the tilesets were mostly vanilla, but the flowers and the Floating Phanto Pillars were custom

I'm really glad you liked the colors and aesthetic!! I am the first to admit that my level design skills are average at best, but I pride myself on more artsy stuff like atmosphere and color palette
(I do wish I had tidied up the mess of a cloud section, though)
Solaris
flowercuco
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by Solaris »

i think your level was really well constructed and felt a lot like a place, at least as much as mario levels can feel like a place!

im really excited to see whats next, theres so many good levels showcased and by the end of this world we wont even be in the top fifty???? jeez

/(=✪ x ✪=)\