(shouting)

Wings of Vi - Not Myougi's Castle

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Whimsical Calamari
i am the one that sings the chorus when you hum in the shower

Re: Wings of Vi - Not Myougi's Castle

Post by Whimsical Calamari »

Ometeotl wrote:The solution is to let you change the difficulty whenever, like many other games.
And perhaps locking you out of the rewards of harder difficulties if you switch down during a run.
ImageImage Image ImageImageImageImageImageImage
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

I'd totally play a game with that artstyle. no wait craz'd exists so it's already done
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Nathan the Talkmaus
Unofficial Talkhaus Mascot

Post by Nathan the Talkmaus »

He should hire the guy who did Dragon: A Game About A Dragon to do the art for a remake.
Winner of the Horikawa Blessing 2015
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

Whimsical Calamari wrote:
Ometeotl wrote:The solution is to let you change the difficulty whenever, like many other games.
And perhaps locking you out of the rewards of harder difficulties if you switch down during a run.
Exactly
eigenvice
More trustful than a bat
First name: Greg
Pronouns: they/them

Post by eigenvice »

Pikabread wrote:I don't really have issues with the enemies, and I will say speedruns of this game are legit pretty awesome. I would go watch the AGDQ one if you haven't.
Wow, this is actually super interesting. Link: SGDQ Mortal/Purified Any % in 41:39.
sedron
im proud of you kid

Post by sedron »

According to the dude at the end of that speedrun, the glitch I made a video of earlier in this thread used to actually be useful for speedruns?
alleightbits
START PLAY!
First name: Brian
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Wings of Vi - It's finally over

Post by alleightbits »

Well, this game was certainly a thing. Yeah, just a thing, really.
Freakguy

Post by Freakguy »

Dunno if anyone is still interested in this game, but I finally got a good speedrun time I'm happy with. :D
Might be entertaining if all you've seen is raocow playing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sk42e42usH8
Zha Hong Lang
"HTMI - Hyper Text Markup Interface"
First name: ZHL
Pronouns: Male

Post by Zha Hong Lang »

Freakguy wrote:Dunno if anyone is still interested in this game, but I finally got a good speedrun time I'm happy with. :D
Might be entertaining if all you've seen is raocow playing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sk42e42usH8
Count me in! I genuinely appreciate this game despite all the crud that's been thrown at it. Your speedrun is pretty nice, by the way. The shortcuts and such are done really well! (especially the missile section skip, that was better the the GDQ showcase in my opinion)
(Formerly Jayoshi)
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

SAJewers wrote:I swear, Both the original Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams and Rex Rocket, two games that I both think are amazing games that raocow should play, also have final bosses that are insanely difficult, and end up being brick walls that many people give up on. It's weird.
Okay, I agree 100% on Giana Sisters here but Rex Rocket's final boss is like, the perfect difficulty. It takes a bit of learning but when you get the hang of it it's super fun and it's not really beyond the difficulty of the other bosses.
I had more difficulty with the teleport bot the first time through, and on my second playthrough I actually beat the final boss first try (with less HP and ammo), so I wouldn't say it's really even that hard.

Just got through watching this series because at first I wanted to play the game but when I saw that the final boss took 6 videos to complete I was like "welp I'm never playing this". So yeah.
I can't wait for Rex Rocket because it does have similar learning-type bosses but they are a lot tighter, not as tanky, and way, way more fun. Also the platforming isn't as trial-and-error nonsensical as Wings of Vi, either. Man, Rex Rocket was great, better than I expected even.

anyways honestly the breaking point of the final boss for me is, actually, the constant life-drain. the fact that you're expected to get almost every healing orb to outpace it combined with the fact that it's entire impossible for them to be placed in ways such that you'll likely lose more health getting them due to RNG is what seemed to wreck things more than anything else. the pentahexes are stupid and the worms are overkill as heck but I think the boss was just flawed on a fundamental level to begin with anyways.
Leet wrote:Yeah, this. Going all-out with the very, very end makes sense. Probably better to regulate it to the "bonus"/true final world, though (see: Cave Story, La-Mulana, desunoya games...)
For what it's worth, La-Mulana is another game that falls into the category of "wow this is a really good final boss". Maybe a tad long, but it was one of my favorite bosses in the game (and there were a few bosses I -hated-, too.

Viy

can go rot in hell.)
WhattayaBrian wrote:One day...one day raocow needs to go back and finish Valdis Story...
I do agree 'cause having played Valdis Story through on normal as Wyatt and hard as Reina, to 100% completion on both, it's really a pretty dang fun game. Aside from
the final optional boss
which is just way too tanky to be any fun but... ehh! I don't think there's enough of the game left and it's probably been far too long for raocow to revisit it, though. I will say that, with a good build (which is easy to get; not hard to reset stats, at all) that raocow could probably easily tear through the rest of the game though.
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Nathan the Talkmaus
Unofficial Talkhaus Mascot

Post by Nathan the Talkmaus »

Cave Story follows a good difficulty curve if you take the machine gun at the first opportunity, never trade it away, and ignore the existence of the "postgame" and consider defeat of the Doctor to be the game's "true ending",

and having Curly alive and non-amnesiac as the best bonus

. Blood-stained Sanctuary or whatever they want to call it today can go sit in the "bad ideas" corner, along with 80% of Wings of Vi and 99% of "I'll cram Touhou references into something Mario-related".

I'm not familiar enough with the non-Commodore/Amiga Giana Sisters games, Rex Rocket, or La-Munala to make any sort of comparison.
Winner of the Horikawa Blessing 2015
WhattayaBrian

Post by WhattayaBrian »

Parama wrote:For what it's worth, La-Mulana is another game that falls into the category of "wow this is a really good final boss". Maybe a tad long, but it was one of my favorite bosses in the game (and there were a few bosses I -hated-, too.

Viy

can go rot in hell.)
Bahamut is the only boss I truly dislike in that game (and he's even worse in the remake). But yeah the final boss is thematically awesome.
Nathan the Talkmaus wrote:Blood-stained Sanctuary or whatever they want to call it today can go sit in the "bad ideas" corner
Cave Story's Hell is one of the best things to ever come out of gaming. It is a sublime mix of storytelling, adrenaline, and challenge cooked up as a reward for doing some admittedly arbitrary things throughout the main game.
If you read this post and thought "Wow, what a swell guy, I sure would like to hear his voice and also watch videogames?" then do I have a link for you.

Current Game: Distorted Travesty 3
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

WhattayaBrian wrote:
Parama wrote:For what it's worth, La-Mulana is another game that falls into the category of "wow this is a really good final boss". Maybe a tad long, but it was one of my favorite bosses in the game (and there were a few bosses I -hated-, too.

Viy

can go rot in hell.)
Bahamut is the only boss I truly dislike in that game (and he's even worse in the remake). But yeah the final boss is thematically awesome.
I agree with Parama on Viy. Viy is the only boss I have notable trouble with even when very overpowered. I've gone and collected every powerup I can get access to including getting some of the stuff in the Tower of the Goddess before defeating Viy (

through the Gate of Time shortcut

) and I still have trouble with him half the time. The only time I don't struggle all that much with him is if I make sure to have the pistol and full ammo when I get to Viy which kinda feels like cheating.

Bahamut can be annoying but at least in his case he's not an auto scrolling level (well technically his arena is kinda autoscrolling but I'm not talking about the autoscroll itself here) which drains your health stupidly fast if you touch him on top of his other wide ranging attacks. (And actually keeping off Viy can be a serious chore if you're having to rely on melee weapons.)
Crow

Post by Crow »

for what it's worth I think Cave Story is an overrated mess of a game but that's neither here nor there :lol:
Zha Hong Lang

Post by Zha Hong Lang »

Parama wrote:pentahexes
I'm afraid to inform you that's not a word :P

Hexagram was what you were looking for, probably.
Nathan the Talkmaus wrote:Blood-stained Sanctuary or whatever they want to call it today can go sit in the "bad ideas" corner, along with 80% of Wings of Vi and 99% of "I'll cram Touhou references into something Mario-related".
I gave you the benefit of the doubt at first, but now I really think you just hate anything that's above a certain difficulty level, no matter what it is.

Is that the case here? I'm completely fine with it, (some people just don't like hard games, after all) but I can't tell whether it's the stage or the difficulty you don't like.
Last edited by Zha Hong Lang 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
(Formerly Jayoshi)
Crow

Post by Crow »

Jayoshi wrote:
I'm afraid to inform you that I didn't intend for it to be a word :roll:
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Voltgloss »

Parama wrote:
Jayoshi wrote:
I'm afraid to inform you that I didn't intend for it to be a word :roll:
I'm afraid to inform you both that it actually is a word, but it means something utterly different - a pentahex is basically five conjoined hexagons.
Zha Hong Lang

Post by Zha Hong Lang »

Voltgloss wrote:I'm afraid to inform you both that it actually is a word, but it means something utterly different - a pentahex is basically five conjoined hexagons.
Well, I knew that it could exist under a different context, (after all, it is the prefix for five conjoined with the stem word for six) but it doesn't even remotely mean anything related to what parama was talking about.

But eh, doesn't matter that much :lol:
(Formerly Jayoshi)
Crow

Post by Crow »

i tried to make up a silly raocowism-type word i'm sorry :lol:
TiKi

Post by TiKi »

The creator of Wings of Vi released a similar game less than a month ago.
https://grynsoft.com/roah
Those female character designs look a little yikes tho
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

Kind of like Wings of Vi characters?
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

"Mixed" Reviews on Steam, with people complaining on bugs and lack of polish.

Might be wise to at least wait for a bit?

(Also this probably should've gone in the request grab-bag)
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Crow

Post by Crow »

this game friggin' sucked the first time why would we want to return to another from the same dev
The Doctor

Post by The Doctor »

I loved Wings of Vi both as a game and an LP, but Roah looks like crap. Also, I'm older now and the female character designs bother me a lot more than they did 5 years ago. I think it's best to just forget about this game.
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

How in the Sam hell was this played four whole years ago? Holy cannoli
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)