(shouting)

pholtos' Rando Pokemon Tourney IV - Final Round

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

pholtos' Rando Pokemon Tourney IV - Final Round

Post by pholtos »

Ok so it's way early in terms of starting but since I've already had some interest I'll go ahead and post this.

So as per the norm of my tourneys this will be of a random style. From here on out everything is different from previous tourneys. You will choose your own destiny so to speak. Each round I will randomize the list of pokemon and then you pick 16 numbers between 1 and the number of total pokemon. You then make a team of 6 for that round which you will use in a best of 3 match. You will also know the types of the 16 pokemon your opponent has chosen which could assist in your decision making. The number of pokemon is still undecided.

Also different from before is this will NOT be double elimination. I'll be using a swiss style instead. Unlike double and single elimination, every person plays every round. The number of rounds to play has yet to be determined. Once all rounds are completed, the winner is the one with the best record. Typically people with similar records get put against each other so for the most part you will end up playing against people close to your level of skill. For an example of swiss, see this arbitrary thing I made.

We will be playing on showdown with the Uber format. After each match of 3 has concluded, post the two/three matches in here, using the save replay function. To make your team, simply copy paste each pokemon you choose into the import feature when making a new team in teambuilder. After copy pasting a pokemon, simply hit enter to make a space inbetween each pokemon and once you have entered all 6 you are done, and the team should come out properly. You are free to change the gender (if possible) or make it shiny. Like last time, nicknaming is a must. :3

Link to the challonge page for this tourney: Boop

I believe that's all that needs to be said.

Signups:
GlitchedGhost
Dog In Da Grass
FluffiMasta
Ivy
Learning-Timebuster Zyglrox Odyssey
Wolfolotl
Telamon
Animita
Kuupa
Slimeman01
Xirix
bbbrrr_it_cold
En Gardevoir
Compound Fraxure
Zephyr_DragonLord
bkamakaze
Piter Lauchy
arabsalmon
spittySynthyHands
Vinyl
Last edited by pholtos 8 years ago, edited 36 times in total.
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Re: pholtos' Rando Pokemon Tourney IV - Signups and Early Discussion

Post by Ivy »

i still don't understand fully what's going on but i'm joining
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

Clarification on the whole picking thing. Imagine each pokemon is in one of these circles in this picture (naturally in reality there'd be a lot more circles but I digress).
and you pick 12(?) of those circles. Those are the ones you'd then make a team of six out of. You won't know what you'll get til you have picked your 12(?).
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Currently playing:

Minnakht
Green eyed monster

Post by Minnakht »

So yeah, hi.

I'm officially saying I'm NOT in to participate. For now. Tentatively.

Last tournament, I think my existence has caused a few people some grief, so I'm tentatively willing to let you all have fun with each other and not have to be like "oh crap, it's incumbent champion." Also, I'm supposedly "helping" with the sets which will be used in the tournament, and thus on the same grounds which precluded pholtos and Sedron from participating in the prior tournament, I should be precluded as well.

Of course, all this might change, if y'all deem it not a problem, me and pholtos could play. (Sedron says he won't because of Demon Real Life.) Also, you're welcome to challenge me to battles any time. You win, you get kudos, you lose, you aren't out of a tournament so it's all good and doesn't hurt to try.

I mean, I like playing video games, so it'd be fun to participate, but it's something I can live withoot.
GlitchedGhost

Post by GlitchedGhost »

The new set up sounds pretty neat.
He captured!
raocow wrote:last night I had a dream where I finally understood what a 'birb' is, and turns out it's a collyflower
Clamestarebla
Clamkind Arch-Highlord

Post by Clamestarebla »

sure
Train harder, run faster, be stronger, better, evolution never over.
Zygl

Post by Zygl »

pholtos wrote:for the most part you will end up playing against people close to your level of skill.
Sold. Sign me up.
Wolfolotl
cryptid
First name: ovid
Pronouns: xe/xem/xyr

Post by Wolfolotl »

let me in I wanna try to make it to the finals this time
:nb_pride:
Telamon
TO PROTECT PENGUIN MACHINE MERGED THE TRAINING MAN.

Post by Telamon »

sign me up
Animita
Pronouns: Him/Her

Post by Animita »

I am in.
Kuupa
That's me on the beat, btw [:
First name: Alex
Pronouns: the male ones

Post by Kuupa »

Put me in, coach!
So here we are. Plays have been enacted. Empires have come and gone. The mightiest have passed away and withered, alike the least. Fires have burned, thousandfold. Yet, did not the great wind serenely continue its course? Does not the blackbird still sing its song? Does not the mistletoe still dwell in the oak's crown? Forgotten, what once has been told. Veiled, the words that once so rang out. Shrouded, like the larva in its cocoon. Let him hear it, who will.
Slimeman01
Minecraft Lore Creationist
First name: Matt
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Slimeman01 »

Im joining :D
:iris: :demo:
raocow wrote:To answer your question Slimeman yes that is super fine
raocow wrote:alright guys what are the weirdest levels of world 4 ?! Make sure to pay attention to tomorrow's video as this may alter your answer!!
Xirix
The British Palindrome

Post by Xirix »

Count me in again for this. ^^
bbbrrr_it_cold
Always ambivalent, always lurking...
First name: Quagsire

Post by bbbrrr_it_cold »

All of my yes to joining this again.
Minnakht wrote:Also, you're welcome to challenge me to battles any time. You win, you get kudos, you lose, you aren't out of a tournament so it's all good and doesn't hurt to try.
If time/real life allows, I will totally take you up on this. I would love a rematch where neither of us feel like we're lucking out. Just...not with that Scrafty.
I have a twitch (where I try to stream most Tuesday and Friday nights): (Don't watch it)
I have a youtube (currently only with stream highlights): (Don't watch it)
I have a twitter (where I say just about nothing): (Don't follow it)
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

bbbrrr_it_cold wrote:If time/real life allows, I will totally take you up on this. I would love a rematch where neither of us feel like we're lucking out. Just...not with that Scrafty.
If you two'd like you could be test subjects for 16 picks and see if that's a good idea, if you're up for it.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Currently playing:

Gardenolva
Void and Voir embraced together...
First name: En Gardevoir
Pronouns: Male

Post by Gardenolva »

Time to try this

A.K.A.: En Gardevoir
qazcake
A cake masquerading as a burger
First name: qaz

Post by qazcake »

-edit Something came up I am dropping out
Last edited by qazcake 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
bbbrrr_it_cold

Post by bbbrrr_it_cold »

pholtos wrote:
bbbrrr_it_cold wrote:If time/real life allows, I will totally take you up on this. I would love a rematch where neither of us feel like we're lucking out. Just...not with that Scrafty.
If you two'd like you could be test subjects for 16 picks and see if that's a good idea, if you're up for it.
I'm down. If Minnakht is as well, then just send stuff my way.
I have a twitch (where I try to stream most Tuesday and Friday nights): (Don't watch it)
Minnakht
Green eyed monster

Post by Minnakht »

Yeah, certainly.
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

Ok both of you PM me 16 numbers between 1 and uhh 373.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Currently playing:

cheez8
Food Nut

Post by cheez8 »

Me too!
I don't really get it but okay
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

bbbrrr_it_cold wrote:
Minnakht wrote:
Please attempt to have your battle within a few days maybe.

Afterwards feel free to post results in this thread.

Also answer these:
1. How difficult was it to make your team?
2. Did I supply enough information to go on or is supplying the opponents types too much information/not enough?
3. Was 16 too many? Not enough? Just right? What would you say is a good number to supply to people?
4. Any suggestions?

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Currently playing:

bbbrrr_it_cold

Post by bbbrrr_it_cold »

pholtos wrote: Please attempt to have your battle within a few days maybe.

Afterwards feel free to post results in this thread.
Minna is busy for a bit, so we won't be able to do battle for a few more days. But I have built my team, so I can respond to at least some of the questions right now. I'm going to spoiler it though, because this is longer than I expected it to be.

pholtos wrote:
1. How difficult was it to make your team?

I always take awhile to build teams, but this wasn't too bad. I mean, I could tell from the start that some pokémon needed to be on my team and some pokémon just wouldn't work. I don't think it was that difficult because that allowed me to have a starting point. If anything, the difficult part was the final pokémon because I felt like I had a few options that could work and just didn't know what one to pick. But I ended up building some ideas of how to make the pokémon work together and chose a sixth based on that. I think that some of it comes down to the specific person and what pokémon they end up getting.

pholtos wrote:
2. Did I supply enough information to go on or is supplying the opponents types too much information/not enough?

I guess I can't fully reply about this until after the battle, but I get the feeling my opinion won't change - this is the perfect amount of information. Just the types means you can expect certain things without knowing exactly what you're going to get. You can't try to predict full movesets and I think that makes it a bit better. I mean, both of us got at least one type combination where there is only one pokémon of that type (or one viable one, in the case of type combos unique to an evolutionary line) and, on the other hand, types where you could have no clue what it could possible be just based on the type. And I like that. I mean, there were types we didn't have or types we had in spades and you could start picking things based upon that, so you do have a good starting point. And this way, the information about your opponent's options isn't overwhelming either. I think doing it this way made planning fun. Again, I guess this is one that I'll have to think about again after the battle.

pholtos wrote:
3. Was 16 too many? Not enough? Just right? What would you say is a good number to supply to people?

Ugh. This is the one that is difficult for me to say. On the one hand, I felt overwhelmed at first. Like...I essentially had to say that I didn't want ten of these. It was daunting. But, on the other hand, I am not sure I would be comfortable with less. Considering the amount of redundancies I ended up with in just 16 pokémon, I think that less is a bit worrying because you might have even less options. If you got, say, 4 water type pokémon and no ground types, that could be an issue. And, sure, that can happen with 16 as well, but it is less of a chance. Having options was nice, especially since it means that you can be a bit more free with how you plan on handling your opponent's types.
If anything, I think the most daunting part of it was seeing the list of opponents types. While I think more options is better, I don't think the number should be increased (or at least not by too much) because it makes it too overwhelming to try and think about what your opponent might pick. I just don't want to see an even longer list, I guess.

pholtos wrote:
4. Any suggestions?

None at the moment. I will get back to this after the battle has happened.
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

Another question: Do you think a week is long enough for people to both make their team and battle?

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Currently playing:

bbbrrr_it_cold

Post by bbbrrr_it_cold »

In most cases, a week is probably fine. The reason this match has taken so long is that my internet was just about out this past weekend and when it finally got fixed to the point where it was back to running consistently, Minna was busy with other things. But that's just how real life works, I suppose, and that's something that we can't always predict for.