(shouting)

Final Dungeon

... zelda
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Re: Final Dungeon

Post by Doctor Shemp »

Riolu180 wrote:
raekuul wrote:Doesn't the engine create a faux-midpoint at each d-map transition, or am I misremembering how to exploit that? I know it was done in one ZC thing I've been playtesting, but that was a scroll-transition and I never got a straight answer as to how it was done mechanically.
There's a dmap setting called "Continue Here". If checked, a continue point is put when you enter that dmap, and if you continue after dying or saving, you'll start back in that dmap at the coordinates you put into the "Continue" field
If the floors are going to 3x3 or even 4x4 I think it might be a bit lax to have a checkpoint at every floor. This is the last dungeon after all, it's meant to be brutal. Maybe one after Floor 4 and another one before the final confrontation with the big bad.

Anyway I had planned out my floor as a 5x5 so I'll get to work trimming it down to 4x4 and then build it.
CodeGorilla

Post by CodeGorilla »

... so after (finally) doing a write-up for what I have planned for my second dungeon, I realized that my current set-up uses 77 rooms for that dungeon, which is a whole 25 more rooms than the first dungeon I did. What this probably means is that I need to cut down on the number of rooms in that second dungeon, lest it be overwhelmingly large. Still, 96-128 (8*12 to 8*16) might not be completely unreasonable for the final dungeon, provided there is a mid-point half way through.
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by raekuul »

For comparison, 1st quest's level 9 was 59 rooms, 2nd quest's was 48.
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Nimono

Post by Nimono »

I guess I'll revive this thread, no point in making a new one.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/favrzj759ppda ... 3.qst?dl=0

I have a WIP for the floor that's a combo of Levels 2 and 3 I guess??? I know I didn't represent them very well, L3's only gimmick is "hey use the whistle in 3 spots to open paths!!!" and we've yet to be shown gameplay of L2 i think, so I dunno how that will be... Anyway! Lemme know if I made it too hard or too easy or anything.

And enjoy the chaos room ;D
Nabe
Still working on AZCT
https://nabe.talkhaus.com/

Post by Nabe »

Nimono wrote:I guess I'll revive this thread, no point in making a new one.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/favrzj759ppda ... 3.qst?dl=0

I have a WIP for the floor that's a combo of Levels 2 and 3 I guess??? I know I didn't represent them very well, L3's only gimmick is "hey use the whistle in 3 spots to open paths!!!" and we've yet to be shown gameplay of L2 i think, so I dunno how that will be... Anyway! Lemme know if I made it too hard or too easy or anything.

And enjoy the chaos room ;D
Just played it. I think it's the right length, not too hard. You told me the palette is temporary so I won't mention that. Played with 12 hearts, Ring 1, 2nd Sword, all dungeon items.
The chaos room is fine. It's not too far from the beginning if you die. The whistle whirlwind checkbox should be ticked so you could escape it if you wanted to.

A lot of the rooms seem just a touch samey, visually. Some more rooms with sand conveyors would be nice, or mixed floor tiles and sand tiles for a decayed look in spots. 64 could use some of this.

On screen 45, it seemed a bit strange that one of the Wizzrobes was visibly carrying the key, when with the shutter you can't leave without killing all of them anyway.

I like the room with the extra pillar as a bomb hint. More of that would be cool.

The Bombchus are pretty easy to cheese, at the moment, because they explode at Link's x,y whether or not he's currently jumping over them -- not a huge problem with just the feather, but since the player has the Hover Boots at this point, they basically auto-die en masse. Which, for the Bombchu-summoning Wizzrobes, I didn't feel very bad about. :D

Screen 62 is a little funny, with ten L1 Leevers that you have no excuse to stick around and fight, especially when they show up two at a time. 72 is a bit the same way. I would try a couple Bombchus to mix it up. I'm not sure I remember any rooms with both Bombchus and Leevers in the dungeon, when they would probably make a good pair. Screens 21 and 51 are also sort of not-an-obstacle enemy rooms.

The Lanmolas at the very end seemed a bit strange since they weren't used elsewhere, but it gives me an idea. In Level 7, there were Shoe Lanmolas. If the Lanmolas on this screen are made to be Shoe Lanmolas, and then the next dungeon floor after this is my segment (featuring shoe stuff) that would serve as a neat little transition without the Lanmolas seeming as out-of-place.
That's all I remember! It's a solid segment. Might have been a touch easy for me, although I did die a few times. Again, I think it's the right length.
Nabe
Still working on AZCT

Post by Nabe »

Just wanted to update to say that I'm working on and off on my dungeon floor with school and the other AZCT stuff -- there's a lot of scripting for my floor that takes up the bulk of the work.
Nimono

Post by Nimono »

Is there any way I can help on the scripting side?
Nabe
Still working on AZCT

Post by Nabe »

Nimono wrote:Is there any way I can help on the scripting side?
Nope! Just a lot of math and busy work at this point. Thanks though.