(shouting)

super cat planet! (1.3d)

wanna make a game, or anything else? seminal bloom!
Giik

super cat planet! (1.3d)

Post by Giik »

Download Here! (v1.3d 9-4-2016_0) (download link will probably break lol!)

Super Cat Planet is a fangame! It has cats! It has planets! super isn't a noun! play it and:

>find cats!
>explore a planet!
>super still isn't a noun!
>color your dress!
>unlock hats!
>wear hats!
>cat planet!
>press buttons!
>play a video game!
>probably find glitches!
>probably break the entire game!
>tell me if either of those happens!
>no mac or linux edition because i apparently need an actual mac/linux build to get gamemaker to port to it!
>one last point for good measure!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Patchnotes:
1.0a:
~Fixed a bug where hitting a big button while on the ground would get you stuck.
-------
1.1:
+Added a new hat to the store: a Scarf!.
~Fixed a badly-sized block in Lava that could cause you to get stuck when transitioning rooms.
~Made the Lava/Final transition not break the space-time continuum.
~Made the checkpoint's hitbox about 200% bigger.
~Toned down Switchspike Hell just a bit. Wider gaps to go through, etc. (you know what screen i'm talking about.)
~Upped the Switchspike button's cooldown from 10 frames (1/6 second) to 30 frames (1/2 second).
~Made something a little easier to find.

NOTE: This might mess up your clothes a bit, and they might be on the wrong sprite when you load it. (which was weird because i didn't add any sprites there.)
-------
1.1a:
~Hopefully fixed a bug that makes the game forget that you won on your current game after closing and opening it again.
-------
1.1b:
~HOPEFULLY fixed 100% triggers being broken from 1.1a. Oi. Save files, am I right?
-------
1.1c:
~Fixed hat stands and other interactables only working with the down arrow key instead of whatever you bound to Down.
-------
1.2:
+Added a green button! Where is it? What does it do? Who knows! (spoiler alert: it makes signposts appear in the jungle!)
+Added 1 more cat! It's in switchspike hell! Good luck!
~Toned down Switchspike Hell even more. That screen is just ridiculous.
~Made

strange cats

a little easier to find. A little.
~Made the dye switch display a down arrow when you're standing under it so you know you can interact with it.
~Made it possible (read: feasible) to get back to the start of the factory from the crossroads if you have blue switches + purple switch enabled.
-------
1.2a:
~Made

strange cats

even easier to find.

Each one should have a very subtle "giveaway" now, instead of just saying something like "oh, this blank wall is suspicious."

~Blocked off the green button with a red, blue, orange and yellow block. You'll have to clear at least one of those to be able to press the green button.
-------
1.2b:
~Fixed a blue switchspike that should have been a normal spike in switchspike hell.
~Fixed a problem with loading that wouldn't properly save buttons being pressed or whether the game was beaten or not.
~Fixed the doors in the post-game warp hub not appearing if the above issue happened.
-------
1.3:
+Changed the

secret area

, like a total revamp with a

new boss and everything.

It's really really really really really REALLY hard. Maybe too hard. I don't care? Might be buggy as always.
+Changed the foyer of Final, so you can go from Lava to Ice and vice versa without needing to hit any buttons.
+Added a tiny path in Ice so you can actually get to the main area of it from Lava without needing to hit the white button.
~Reduced Factory's music volume by a bit. It's not a music factory for crying out loud.
~Changed the guard crow's dialogue. I've been getting a little better at writing. Thank you, D&D.
~Fixed the Speedrun achievement reverting if you launch the game after letting the timer go over the threshold with the achievement already unlocked.
~Fixed options reverting when closing and reopening the game...maybe. (Don't ask how I fixed it. You'll cry.)
~Minor text fixes
-------
1.3a:
~Changed

the new secret boss's health from 5 to 50. Whoops, I was testing stuff.

-------
1.3b:
+Now if you hold the extra key while selecting New Game, you'll keep the outfit your current file has. So if you want to speedrun with that cool costume you got going on, now you can!
+Added

a couple new attacks to the new secret boss. They start using them once their health gets lower.

~Reduced the volume of Factory just a liiiiittle bit more. Just a liiiiiiiiiiittle bit.
-------
1.3c:
~Minor text fixes.

No, really. That's it.
-------
1.3d:
~Fixed a certain collectable not moving to the right coordinates.
~(Hopefully) fixed an issue where the game becomes unplayable if you close the game during the first launch keybinding.
~Moved a single spike upwards by 2 pixels.

Original post:
I don't really know why I'm doing this, I've had a recent obsession with cat planet.

I'm remaking cat planet.
Well, that and I'm gonna make a new cat planet. I guess. A slightly bigger, slightly trickier cat planet. I'm not planning on adding anything stupid like combat or a plot. Just cat planet, guys.

All I have to show for it so far is this:

I ripped the sprites from the old cat planet source, but the code is all new. I recreated cat planet's physics by looking at the source, including the variable jump heights. The only new thing I added so far is the ability to make a cat your respawn point (you can't die yet though, all it does is add the silly flag) and you can hold the Down arrow key while on the ground to slow to a stop.

So yeah! I guess I'm just doing this to take a break from some of my main projects (shameless plug); I don't know how far I'll take this before I get bored of it.
Last edited by Giik 7 years ago, edited 27 times in total.
Giik

Re: super cat planet?

Post by Giik »

progress is going pretty well. jungle area has a lot of stuff, checkpoints (mostly) work, etc. etc.

You can change the color of the dress now. No in-game way to do it yet, so I'm keeping it red because that was the first color I tested it with. Later on I'm thinking of either having a color shop where you unlock colors based on how many cats you found, or finding special cats that change the dress color.

Oh, also, cats found are stored in a data structure now. In the original game every cat was "persistent", which means once you found them then they existed forever, they were just invisible when you're in a different room. With the data structure they just check if their entry is found in there when the room loads. With that, I'm also able to save which cats you've found to a save file.
Zha Hong Lang
"HTMI - Hyper Text Markup Interface"
First name: ZHL
Pronouns: Male

Post by Zha Hong Lang »

Wow, that's pretty Neato! keep that up, it's awesome. (:
(Formerly Jayoshi)
Giik

Post by Giik »

More progress!

This is a little bit of the new Canyon area. It has a button. It also has several things preventing you from getting to said button. (spoiler alert: they're basically the sawblades from the original factory)

The dress now randomizes between a bunch of different hues each time you respawn, but that's just temporary until I get unlocks done.
Zha Hong Lang

Post by Zha Hong Lang »

Those switch blocks look really stylish! Makes me look forward to how stylish to full game will be.
(Formerly Jayoshi)
Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Post by Rixithechao »

First of all, it's awesome that this project is a thing. Which engine/language are you using?

Secondly, and this is just a nitpick, but would it be possible to make the colored outlines for the cats' text twice as thick? I think it'd look cleaner in cases where text overlaps the terrain like "orange button!" there.
Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
Giik

Post by Giik »

Rockythechao wrote:First of all, it's awesome that this project is a thing. Which engine/language are you using?

Secondly, and this is just a nitpick, but would it be possible to make the colored outlines for the cats' text twice as thick? I think it'd look cleaner in cases where text overlaps the terrain like "orange button!" there.
I'm just using gamemaker. :P

also, I'll see what I can do about the outline. Right now I'm just drawing the text like 4 extra times for each direction, but I might be able to turn the outline into a font by itself.
Giik

Post by Giik »

yaaaay
Giik

Post by Giik »

Save files work!

That necklace you see isn't really important, it's actually one of the hats you can get from the hat shop.

I also adjusted the prices of the dyes so you can unlock pretty much all of the normal ones by finding all of the cats in the starting village.
WasabiJellyfish

Post by WasabiJellyfish »

Oh my god this is actually super great, the costumisation is great and those little flags are so stylish.
Friendly Dictator
rad
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Friendly Dictator »

this looks really good!
No Lynch
Pronouns: she

Post by No Lynch »

it's amazing to see that you're putting this much effort into this project! keep it up!
momo

Post by momo »

this is actually kind of amazing
Giik

Post by Giik »

factories suck
Zha Hong Lang

Post by Zha Hong Lang »

GIMMICKS!?!?!? I love you so much right now <3
(Formerly Jayoshi)
No Lynch
Pronouns: she

Post by No Lynch »

OH MAN SWITCHES
Katazuki
wawa
Pronouns: whomst

Post by Katazuki »

My dream! :3

Who has the most?
Peliptia
(ˈpe-lip-SHēə) / [ˈpɛ-lɪp-ʃiə]

Post by Peliptia »

Oh my gosh~! Incredibly adorable, I cannot take it!! //^-^//

Did you change the angel-character to have a different sprite while ascending with their hair like flowing upwards?? If you didn't I had never noticed that before, but if you did, awesome job on that!!
ImageImage
Giik

Post by Giik »

Hey guys, I'm not dead!

Sorry it's taking so long. Even on a simple project like this it still takes a reaaaaaallly long time, especially with my terrible work ethic. >.>

Basically everything's done except for half of the final area (it's really hard), some music tracks and some polishing.

Here's a GIF for y'all:

Zha Hong Lang

Post by Zha Hong Lang »

Don't worry about how much time you're taking, you've already been doing a magnificent job so far with all these screenshots. It only makes me more hyped for release! ;)
(Formerly Jayoshi)
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
Pronouns: she/her
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Post by Blivsey »

How did I miss this being a thing

It looks amazing.
convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

What, What, What. That is really beautiful. I must play this when it comes out.
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

how the hell does someone make something look so fluid and nice in gamemaker
i ask the same of undertale
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
Peliptia
(ˈpe-lip-SHēə) / [ˈpɛ-lɪp-ʃiə]

Post by Peliptia »

Oh, the sleepy-time cap wasn't visible in the hat-shop in the previous GIF screenshot~! Perhaps that hints at a few more hats being added? I hope so~!!
ImageImage
Zha Hong Lang

Post by Zha Hong Lang »

Peliptia wrote:Perhaps that hints at a few more hats being added? I hope so~!!
shh this isn't tf2 that's the only place to get hyped at hats for
(Formerly Jayoshi)