(shouting)

The Mario Megathread

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Re: The Mario Megathread (NP: Fortune Street)

Post by YelseyKing »

Wow. I'm actually surprised you managed to pull out a win there. The RNG looked like it absolutely had it in for you, while heavily favoring the AI opponents. Hell, some of their moves were so perfect that you just have to know the computer knew exactly what was going to happen in advance. Most notably, Diddy landing on a chance card that let him sell a property for 3x its value, only to immediately roll a 6 on his next turn, landing on that exact property and re-buying it. It's just a good thing the AI tended to make a lot of really poor decisions, because man, luck was absolutely on their side; they landed on their own properties and chance cards more often than not, and when they *did* land on your properties, it almost always seemed like they were closed due to Diddy (again; that guy was absolutely a "Spanner in the Works" for the whole game) drawing an "all properties close for a day" card.

Still, that game actually looked otherwise pretty fun, all-knowing and ridiculously lucky AI aside. The Itadaki Street series has a whole lot of entries, including one that crossed Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy, and would've been snapped up like crazy in the west, but as far as I know, only Fortune Street saw an English release. Shame.
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
Bean
Yep.

Re: The Mario Megathread (NP: Donkey Kong [GB])

Post by Bean »

(1) Stage 0 - Construction Site

Donkey Kong on the Game Boy takes the old arcade classic and adds a whole new twist on the formula... but you won't really know what that is until the end of the video as this first one is just a trek through the first four stages we saw all the way back in this thread's debut. Let's go through this refresher course before we take on the real meat of this madness this monkey has cooked up for Mario.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(2) Stage 1 - Big City

We got through the opening stages only to see that things are different this time around. Instead of just climbing around and getting to the top of a level where DK's holding Pauline, Mario has to now find a key and get it to the locked door. He has plenty of moves to do that, too, so might as well slowly work those all in these videos as I go along. Since it's still a World 1 here, don't expect things to be all that difficult because they aren't. Yay!
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

Haha, I really believe you were going to do a playthrough where you wouldn't use any ability before "learning" them in the intermissions.

Also, wow, even though my uncle had a super game boy and I did play this game on a couple occasions on it, I forgot how much the sound and color quality upgrades.

Oh, and the enemies have official names? I'm pretty sure I never saw anything about that on the manual, so where did you find them?

Anyway, really liking this series. DK 94 is my favorite mario game and I'm glad every time I see someone giving it more attention.

Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

For better or worse, I'm Mario Wiki-ing it up for names. Apparently, the Japanese version did have them posted somewhere. I'll be taking some heavy liberties on a lot of the names outside of the few that actually are in our manual.

Your idea would've been great of not using abilities until they're shown, but I wasn't thinking about that at the time. Oops. But yeah, this one seems to get lost in the shuffle somehow. I like Super Mario Land 2 the most, but this one's like right behind it for the best Mario-related Game Boy game.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(3) Stage 2 - Forest

Now we get to a stage that is not called the Jungle that forced me to go back and redo some text because I wasn't paying attention when editing this originally. Anyway, the Forest has a really good main theme, and these woods mostly with using switches to get around. They can be used to open gates, shift directions in platforms, or just create roads to walk on. Either way, they're one of the most important gimmicks in the game, and that's why they're introduced so early into this adventure. Mm-hmm.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(4) Stage 3 - Ship

Even though Mario's left land behind, he's not really going to have to get his feet wet too much on board this boat as Stage 3 is pretty much a recap of what we've experienced so far. This rig features a lot of swinging from wires and using timed switch blocks. There's also using enemies to help get across more dangerous stretches, but in the end, it's smooth sailing... except when you do a glitch you didn't know about that puts you right in harm's way. Oops.
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Post by YelseyKing »

Well. That was a rather silly clipping glitch. :P
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Yes, it was.

(5) Stage 4 - Jungle

The Jungle plays a lot like Donkey Kong Jr. did, so it's only fitting that this would be the place where Junior makes his debut in this game. His job is to pretty much be an annoyance by throwing switches when we don't want him to or by chucking Poison Mushrooms at Mario himself. DK will also join in on using these things, and that combination is not all that fun to deal with. Thankfully, we are also introduced into the one stage that has some friendly critters to help us out as long as Mario can recognize friend from foe. In this one... Double oops.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(6) Stage 5 - Desert

When you think about it, Mario's not exactly the nicest of dudes in this game. He's stowed away on a ship that didn't belong to him, messed with the local wildlife in our last stage, and will now go through and desecrate a desert temple thanks in part to his nemesis. This place introduces the brick-busting Super Hammer, making our job at destroying history go all the more smoothly. At least it has a catchy theme.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(7) Stage 6 - Airplane

Mario's been flying high over the last few stages, so DK's joining in on the act now literally. He's also the only one on board as this place is totally abandoned otherwise. Of course, this jumbo jet still houses some automated dangers like stationary cannons or the moving lifts, but the real threat in Stage 6 is the wind which is just there to push you off the many platforms you'll be trying to land or stay on. Thankfully, that gimmick only comes up when you're in an outdoor level, so it's only there for half the levels.

In the end, I really like the Airplane, probably both because it's a short flight and the last of the easier stages in the game. Next!
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(8) Stage 7 - Iceberg

Not a big fan of the song used for the main theme of this stage, but it does work in context the chilling atmosphere. So ice gimmicks are usually not fun in platformers, but you're always on the move in Donkey Kong, so sliding isn't going to be much of a concern unless you're second-guessing yourself.

Really, the two big challenges today are needing more precise timing than usual and those little Fire dudes. You're going to need them to melt ice blocks along the way, but more often than not, this puts Mario in harm's way. Oh well. Still not the hardest stage as of yet, but the difficulty curve is definitely on an incline here.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(9) Stage 8 - Rocky Valley, Part One

The largest stage in the entire game also happens to be the most dangerous. These sixteen levels are packed with enemies and situations that put you in harm's way more often than we've seen to this point. In the first half, there's a lot of back and forth going on, and that's something that will carry over into the second half. Better make sure you know where you're going and get there fast before any trouble catches up to you. That's something that happened to me quite a bit in those first four levels. Whoops.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(10) Stage 8 - Rocky Valley, Part Two

The Rocky Valley roundabouts continue for Mario in the second half, although it lowers the enemy difficulty and trades it for timed puzzles or more dangerous platforming scenarios. The latter's thanks to introducing lava late in this stage, but don't be fooled by that one scene where it is shown for the first time as touching it is no good just like usual. Funnily enough, the Donkey Kong levels feel like a breather in both instances, especially the final showdown here. Of course, that's not really the final showdown. No, that one will be next time.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(11) Stage 9 - Tower

Time to finish this one off by going back to the basics. No more looking around for and carrying keys all over the place. It's time for Mario to reach the end of each and every structure inside this tower on his climb to the top. Along the way, he'll get his win back from DK Jr. and engage in two pretty awesome battles to wrap things up. So far, I'd say this is my favorite Mario game that I've done on here so far. Pretty easy to see why since this game was a lot of fun. Anyway, that's all for this one. Peace.
Bean
Yep.

Re: The Mario Megathread (NP: Super Mario Bros: The Lost Levels)

Post by Bean »

(1) World 1

I'm not ready for this series to go totally public yet, but there's no reason why I can't get this started on here since it only gets a handful of views generally. I've missed being able to upload unlisted videos like this.

Anyway, Lost Levels is known for being a difficult and somewhat unfair official Mario game, and I'd have to agree with that take. Still, it's worth getting this one out of the way now rather than moving on to the greatness that is to come since this was Nintendo's first true sequel to the original Super Mario Bros. We'll alternate bros and colored text boxes in this, so let's start off with Luigi and get lost, everyone! Yeah.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(2) World 2

After watching all the Mario hacks on here over the years, it's funny how Lost Levels makes some of the same mistakes that those games do at times. Case in point, this world introduces the green trampolines. They're a funny idea in that they send Mario and Luigi flying high into the sky, but you have no idea where you're going to land five seconds later unless you've played the game before. This is something that will actually become a problem in a later world when there's not as much solid ground to land on.

Also, there's a lot of hidden blocks to uncover, and in one level of today's video, it's required to find them to be able to move on. Stuff like that has never set well with me, and I believe a pigeon would have some words with the makers of this game if he saw their creations today.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(3) World 3

The game starts picking up in difficulty at this point, and thankfully, World 3's is more on the legitimate side rather than the artificial kind... outside of one part where you have to take a hit to be able to complete the place. It's frustrating to have to do that if you've been running through at a good pace, but at least there's an item to power you up right after... that's hidden. Oy.

That's this game in a nutshell. At least you can cheat the system by abusing a glitch, but that's not something meant for the main run since it's not the easiest thing in the world to do after you've gone through your first taste of Hammer Bros. and swimming to get to that point.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(4) World 4

I was going to talk more about the red Piranha Plants in this video since they make their debut, but then I watched Lakitu over my playback throw some very glitched-out looking Spiny Eggs at me instead. It's like this on the SNES, although not as prominent, but it was still such a weird thing to see. I'm glad he flies lower in many of the later worlds because it doesn't happen then.

Anyway, World 4 is officially "Hey, this game is hard" mode with all these nuisances around. The next two worlds take that difficulty and ramp it up even further. Enjoy!
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(5) World 5

World 5 introduces another couple of new elements/situations by bringing in wind and throwing a maze level into a regular stage instead of a castle. Both of these things could be harder if Luigi wasn't our main man today, but he is, so things will be a bit easier for us. That said, the castle. This is one that was in another game we took a look at called Vs. Super Mario Bros. It was 6-4 in that game, and I wound up having my run end there by skidding right off into the lava.

I've been waiting a long time to get some revenge on this fortress... It's just a shame that I had to wait close to an hour for that to finally happen as this world is pretty dang difficult, and the next one is more of the same.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(6) World 6

When you don't have a Fire Flower for a swimming level, you're in for a rough time. World 6 sets it up so that there's no way that I know of for that to be a possibility, so have fun dodging around the many aquatic annoyances while keeping yourself from being pulled under too deep by the drain. It's one of the hardest worlds in the game for the right reasons, though, so I appreciate this challenge over what we'll be seeing from the final two main worlds. I should probably finish editing those soon, huh? Ahem.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(7) World 7

World 7 blows... literally. The wind is back and is a force to be reckoned with in the two stages it appears in today. That said, it's mainly a side threat compared to the real troubles that you'll have in this world with both Hammer Bros. that start rushing at you on sight and the green springboards being placed in a level with not a lot of ground to land back down on. Honestly, this is my least favorite world of the main eight even if it was the easiest one to record in the game's second half. Dumb design decisions aplenty here, so thank goodness it went fast.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(8) World 8

World 8, the final main world of the game, encapsulates everything I don't like about Lost Levels. On the one hand, it's genuinely challenging for an official Mario title... forcing you to do Koopa hops to get across gaps as well as giving you gauntlets and other tough enemy setups. That's great and all, but then Lost Levels goes and throws in hidden blocks practically anywhere and everywhere. Do they need to be placed right in the way of where the game expects you to jump? Of course not, but they're here, and they'll make 8-2 and 8-3 a nightmare for many.

I'm glad this isn't the true final world since the second quest in this one has new content, but it's still aggravating to see that this game is practically the grandfather of all the bad hacks and/or levels you've played in Super Mario Maker. That's the reason this one is my least favorite mainline Mario game. It could be fun, but Lost Levels goes out of its way to insult players with its artificial difficulty nonsense. Bah.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(9) World 9

The main game's been beaten, Princess Toadstool and the Mushroom Kingdom are at peace, and... and the game's not over yet because Lost Levels includes quite a few bonus worlds for its second quest! That said, World 9 isn't technically one of them. Instead, this bonus world is only earned by plowing through the game without taking a warp zone. If you can do that, you get to enjoy a rather silly place that's a shout out to the Minus World glitch from both the NES and Famicom Disk System versions of Super Mario Bros.

It's a short little ride, and it really doesn't fit in with the game's difficulty, but I sure could use a break like this after how Worlds 5-8 went at times. In any case, this will be the last video I'll be putting up way early for you all so that I can make sure I stay ahead on editing for the channel. I kind of botched by not going slower on here or on YT! Oops. Anyway, see you in a couple of weeks for the second quest!
Bean
Yep.

Re: The Mario Megathread

Post by Bean »

I made a video to talk about some stuff. It's twenty minutes long, and it has my voice, but it covers just about everything that was on my mind and why I'm glad 2015 is over with. Goodness knows I've brought it up a few times on here, but yeah. There's even a silly little game poll on there if you want to look at it, although it's more asking if anyone's interested than a concrete one.

Meanwhile, I've got more Lost Levels coming up later this week. There's still a couple of updates I've had done that I haven't posted in here. I'll post here again when it's about time for the next video to go live on YT. Peace.