(shouting)

MaGL X2 - Cat Planet × Pokemon OTP

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Re: MaGL X2 - ?

Post by Rixithechao »

Zephyr_DragonLord wrote:(So how far away are we from custom hitboxes, just for curiosity's sake?)
We're already there.
Custom player hitboxes can apparently be done via the function Level.loadPlayerHitBoxes () but I haven't messed around with that.
Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

When I noticed that the snake boss was oddly immobile, and that there was a sort of vaguely snake-like shape in the gem thing, I thought that shattering the charm would have the effect of revealing that the boss was actually a sort of giant snake mech which the real snake was operating. Alas, this was not to be.
FrozenQuills
hehe haha 2024

Post by FrozenQuills »

I feel like the one level today would be a lot better if it was designed around smb3 bombs instead of smb2 bombs. At least smb3 bombs don't hurt you on the way down and stay in place when thrown.
Last edited by FrozenQuills 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
SMBX Tileset Compiler and Separator
The boss entry that made me eat a shoe.

5th place counter: 5
(SMBX Forums CC11, SMBX Forums CC12, Endgame Madness Contest, SMWC Kaizo Contest 2016, SMWC 24hr Contest 2018)
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

That one Magikoopa is ultimately what killed today's level.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
FluffyMeatloaf
a delectable bean burrito

Re: MaGL X2 - ba-boommm

Post by FluffyMeatloaf »

I Guess I Should Warn You Ahead of Time, the Bob-Omb Have the Ability to Attend in the Citadel
And they're certainly in attendance. I like the visuals, especially those Fantasy Zone boss-esque barriers you gotta defeat the magikoopa to remove, but the level itself looks like it might get a biiit frustrating at parts, especially the first half. The second half looked pretty fun, though that's something that might only apply if you can hold onto the fire flower well enough.
Can't say I was expecting today's episode to go the way it did. I guess it's already been said that having done the hardest level in the contest doesn't mean there won't be any more hard levels, haa.
Fawriel

Post by Fawriel »

That was such good tileset use for the building, though, seriously.
KayhemMaus
I keep breaking my face on SMBX
First name: KM
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by KayhemMaus »

Aw man, I was hoping we'd get to 186th today...

Commentary, Day 37;
187th, Oddwrath: 'I Guess I Should Warn You Ahead of Time, the Bob-Omb Have the Ability to Attend in the Citadel' - This level... has some great ideas, but also some really harsh ones. This is tough as butts, you can tell just by looking, dood. I appreciate it, somewhat, but... some refinement, this would be really awesome, as is, it's a frustrating mess. Bombs, man. Bombs.
Last edited by KayhemMaus 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
nyoro~n n~yoron

I love it
Oddwrath
The ghost of talkhaus unlikely
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Oddwrath »

Dev commentary time!
Originally, the name I was going to use was “well hello there, mistrer trap”. And that's where most of my time left, before I realized that I couldn't get the gimmick to work. I wanted to have a mist going up and down throughout the level that would do some Luna event if touched, but I couldn't get it to work properly. So, with a week left, I decided to use another title instead.

I didn't like this level at all. I still don't, but slightly less than I did when I submitted it. I'm a bit of a perfectionist by nature, so I've seen all these flaws that raocow mentioned, but I still submitted it, because I had to submit something.

The “lay the bomb and let it drop on the magikoopa” bit could have been marked somehow(you're supposed to grab it right as it generates, rush to the wall and then drop it in the middle). That could have been marked with a coin or a sign, but I was running out of time.

Now the part where you throw bob-ombs in the wizard's face is supposed to be done by just picking the right bob-omb, going to the spot between where the right and the middle bob-ombs drop and then just run and throw it in the magikoopa's face. No holding up, just run and throw. I had no problem with this part at all. Maybe raocow didn't watch how the bob-ombs dropped? They went, left, middle and right, so he could just do my strategy while the left was dropping and then pick up the right one when he's done. Or maybe it's the SMBX controls with a controller. I dunno. I played with a keyboard and tested this level several times with a controller and that part went fine. Then again, I'm one of these weird people who actually thinks that SMBX physics are perfectly fine.

By the second part, I was kinda running out of ideas(and time), which is why the whole “kill every hammer bro” thing is there. I didn't want the level to be too repetitive honestly. Every part of every section had a different variation on the gimmick and having several “let lakitu kill the wizard” parts would have been annoying.

And, in case you were wondering, yes, the boss was supposed to be SMB3 bowser. Except resprited as a wizard bowser. Didn't have the time.

So, overall? This is an unfinished level, that is only good, because I don't know. I have no idea how it got such a high ranking. I was expecting it to reach the train station at most. Needs way more polish and better ways to use this gimmick.

It's also really “shaky”. At the part, raocow blew up part of a breakable bridge at the magikoopa didn't drop, I actually was afraid that the level would break and not let any bob-omb get the magikoopa to drop in the lava, because it wouldn't be able to reach him.
:lesbian_pride: my avatar is from that obake game made in 2001 that you cannot play anymore unless you run it through a virtual machine and apply a locale patch
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

HOW DOES BOMBS
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

I predict that raocow will reach 1000 demos in this game.

Edit: The level today looked pretty good. The obstacles were not out of place for a citadel, and they had some good variety. Some of them looked harder than intended though.
Oh Man
Where is my water buffalo? Why don't I have a water buffalo?

Post by Oh Man »

Turn Around, Wizard / Every Now and Then I Throw a Bomb:
FrozenQuills wrote:I feel like the one level today would be a lot better if it was designed around smb3 bombs instead of smb2 bombs. At least smb3 bombs don't hurt you on the way down and stay in place when thrown.
Zephyr_DragonLord
The dragon awakens...!
First name: Zach

Post by Zephyr_DragonLord »

Rockythechao wrote:
Zephyr_DragonLord wrote:(So how far away are we from custom hitboxes, just for curiosity's sake?)
We're already there.
Custom player hitboxes can apparently be done via the function Level.loadPlayerHitBoxes () but I haven't messed around with that.
Ah, that's quite a pleasant surprise! I was asking in general (mostly for enemy and said custom NPCs), so any information in that regard is appreciated. (I'm going to have to be somewhat proficient in programming at this rate... quite a challenge for me)

Didn't expect another one level video today.

Oddwrath - I Guess I Should Warn You Ahead of Time, Bomb-ombs Have the Ability to Attend in the Citadel

Trying to rate this based on how raocow played this is kind of difficult. Some of the difficulty he had came from the level itself, and some came from his misuse of bomb-ombs... But I digress. This isn't exactly a player critique. Most of the issues in the level (in my opinion) come from the first half. Namely, the section where you need to set down the bombs, and the last Magikoopa. The former could stand to be a little shorter of a trek (by about 1 moat), and the latter could be helped by having the field 1-2 blocks higher on the player's side...
Still, for an incomplete level, this is very solid. I'm positive it would be better with more time! (And it's nice that the planned boss would have been a bit of a breather... the level isn't exactly easy to finish!)
I am prone to almost everything... except spontaneous violence.
Any questions, concerns, or aspirations you have with me can go to the PM box... Now here's a quote:
raocow wrote:I know there is a population on Earth. They like to populate. I like to gesticulate. We're friends!
(It was about time)
Penguinator44
Long time listener, first time caller

Post by Penguinator44 »

Oh Man wrote:Turn Around, Wizard / Every Now and Then I Throw a Bomb:
AND I NEED YOUR BOMB TONIGHT! AND I NEED YOU MORE THIS LEVEL!
And now it's stuck in my head for the rest of the day
Maiku Wotaharu
Karaoke Enthusiast and Honorary Armless Bipedal Cycloptic Demon
First name: You'll figure it out.

Post by Maiku Wotaharu »

Penguinator44 wrote:
Once upon a time, I was throwing a bomb / Now I'm only yelling out "Fart!"

You magnificent bastards...
The best part of waking up is...knowing where you are.

FINALLY, SOME MOSTS USERBARS!
Oh Man
Where is my water buffalo? Why don't I have a water buffalo?

Post by Oh Man »

Maiku Wotaharu wrote:
Penguinator44 wrote:
Once upon a time, I was throwing a bomb / Now I'm only yelling out "Fart!"

You magnificent bastards...
Nothing else to say, difficulty totally eclipsed the art.
memnarch

Post by memnarch »

Man, I keep thinking my level is going to show up next; all of these recent ones in the pokecenter are just getting better and better.
Same person from Giantitp.com

(pronounced mem-nark)
No Lynch
Pronouns: she

Post by No Lynch »

Horikawa's statement on the thread's previous page makes me worry my level is next. I mean, I could totally see Sturg's scoring tactics pulling my level down.
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

Rao's misuse of bombs continues to be his biggest enemy in SMBX, especially with no easy way to implement wind.
Telamon
TO PROTECT PENGUIN MACHINE MERGED THE TRAINING MAN.

Post by Telamon »

Ometeotl wrote:...especially with no easy way to implement wind.
But one of the LUA wizards is working on it, right?
Fawriel

Post by Fawriel »

"Absurdly easy".

Now I'm picturing you just typing "wind" into the code and the script is like "you got it, bro".
GalaxyOfJ
The Mysterious Stranger Except Incompetent

Post by GalaxyOfJ »

I hope I was not robbed. I must make it to double digits!
Weird Goonie

Post by Weird Goonie »

I like to think that wizard turns around and giggles each time you hit him.

Thoughts on 187th place:
187th - "I Guess I Should Warn You Ahead of Time, the Bob-Omb Have the Ability
to Attend in the Citadel"

This level was looking good before it became clear the main gimmick was to
indirectly kill wizards with bombs. Though it is an interesting idea it doesn't
work well due to the way bombs are thrown in this game by Mario/Luigi. It
would of helped if all the Wizards took only one hit, the requirement to hit them
3 times makes it too repetitive.
Oddwrath
The ghost of talkhaus unlikely
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Oddwrath »

FrozenQuills wrote:I feel like the one level today would be a lot better if it was designed around smb3 bombs instead of smb2 bombs. At least smb3 bombs don't hurt you on the way down and stay in place when thrown.
That kinda goes against my design philosophy: if chosen the general look, enemy loadout and idea of the level, stick to it! So, if say, I've chosen three enemies for the level, I'm going to use them and only them, because anything else will seem out of place. Unless, I need a boss or a talking npc or just a joke. Granted, I still could have fixed the third magikoopa by moving him to the yellow platform.
:lesbian_pride: my avatar is from that obake game made in 2001 that you cannot play anymore unless you run it through a virtual machine and apply a locale patch
Zatsupachi
Queen of Flaming Mechanical Bees

Post by Zatsupachi »

Hey guys.
I know its a tad bit late. But here's a run of my own level in its early state.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KHfTWQQrUQ
The [Death] of Jokes.
Youtube: dracmeister
Moddb: precision_bomber

Imipolex G
very dairy
Pronouns: any

Post by Imipolex G »

I think I might've had an easier time with that one magikoopa, only because I've long since gotten used to SMBX throwing physics.

Beyond that, making a good (not frustrating) level based around bombs is hard to do, and I have to give some credit for the nice visuals at least.