(shouting)

Updates/Announcements

The second SMBX collab!
ztarwuff
What the heck is a flair and why am I being asked to write one for my profile?
Location: Within 2 miles of the Imperial Crypt of Napoleon III

Re: Updates/Announcements

Post by ztarwuff »

Axon wrote:
Doctor Shemp wrote: If Sandy Sands is being changed then Ghosts in Space is the only level with swimmable non-water. Therefore I think Axon should make the call.
Well I think the new sound is more neutral and makes more sense generally (including in water, as I mentioned previously), so I'm definitely in favor of using it.
The only level in the first episode. I've got a level in the Wiki that has swimmable non-water too.
mellonpizza
working
First name: pizza

Post by mellonpizza »

I haven't really been following development for this at all so sorry if I sound ignorant with this.

Are levels not being accepted anymore period, or can levels still be submitted for episode 2?
I'm not a YTPMV'er. My goal is towards learning music and eventually making my own content with what I like (in this case ponies). I'm still studying how music works and this is what I can do so far, so to all the ytpmv'ers out there: Please stop following my videos, cause I'm not interested in making chiptune music with your rules you set up on how to make YTPMV's. Also I'd appreciate if you guys would lay off bronies in the comment section, cause these are made for them and not for people who
docopoper
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Nulla non pharetra enim, nec maximus odio.
First name: Shane Farrell
Pronouns: they/he

Post by docopoper »

You can still submit levels for future episodes. There will still be an official "level creation time span" for episode 2 but you can make your levels before that and they will be considered equally to all other levels submitted. Each level will get in based on its quality and not when it was submitted.

So yeah. Go ahead. There's no reason not to work on it now if you want. Though make sure to keep up with the project when episode 2 is being judged so that you can respond to criticisms and give your level a much better chance of being included (it's also important that we don't end up with too many absentee authors).
The first thing I would do with infinite power would be to make myself a cave where I could look at my shadow forever.

Image <- Go team Yeah Doctor Shemp.!
Image <- That's everyone being nice to me. ^^

I made a game called Utter Confusion! Play it! :D
It's a lot of fun and has been incredibly popular at every indie game dev party I've brought it to.
mellonpizza
working
First name: pizza

Post by mellonpizza »

Yaaaay! I can make a thing!
Also is there a list of levels/descriptions? I kinda want to follow the LP and not be spoiled, but I want to see if the level idea I have is ton already made. If this is impossible then I won't mind being spoiled.
I'm not a YTPMV'er. My goal is towards learning music and eventually making my own content with what I like (in this case ponies). I'm still studying how music works and this is what I can do so far, so to all the ytpmv'ers out there: Please stop following my videos, cause I'm not interested in making chiptune music with your rules you set up on how to make YTPMV's. Also I'd appreciate if you guys would lay off bronies in the comment section, cause these are made for them and not for people who
Axon

Post by Axon »

mellonpizza wrote:Yaaaay! I can make a thing!
Also is there a list of levels/descriptions? I kinda want to follow the LP and not be spoiled, but I want to see if the level idea I have is ton already made. If this is impossible then I won't mind being spoiled.
Episode 1: http://asmbxt.wikia.com/wiki/A2MBXT_Levels/Episode1
Everything else: http://asmbxt.wikia.com/wiki/A2MBXT_Levels
MrSecurity

Post by MrSecurity »

I looked a bit through the forums and couldn't find "the place" to put this but;
In world 5(Mantreol/The City), if you go in the warp pipe(The one next to the town) and you die in the level, it'll warp you to the overworld where you will get stuck. This happened to me because my controller came unplugged and I was swimming in the water so I drowned. :|
docopoper
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Nulla non pharetra enim, nec maximus odio.
First name: Shane Farrell
Pronouns: they/he

Post by docopoper »

Type "illparkwhereiwant" to toggle being able to walk anywhere on the map. Also don't forget to type redigitiscool to enable saving again after cheating.
The first thing I would do with infinite power would be to make myself a cave where I could look at my shadow forever.

Image <- Go team Yeah Doctor Shemp.!
Image <- That's everyone being nice to me. ^^

I made a game called Utter Confusion! Play it! :D
It's a lot of fun and has been incredibly popular at every indie game dev party I've brought it to.
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Voltgloss »

Dusting off this sticky in the hope/assumption that it is intended to apply to Episode 2 as well.

For Episode 1, there was a huge spike of interest and activity in generating levels after raocow completed MAGL X the first. Assuming history repeats itself, it seems to me we should strive to have an updated DevKit ready for folks to use once raocow is done with MAGL X2.

So far raocow has played about 53 levels and 6 bosses over the course of about 20 days, making an average of about 3 levels/bosses per day. Applying that rate to the remaining 20 bosses and 219 levels, we'd see raocow completing all regular game levels by early/mid-October. Of course there's postgame to add as well. And I recognize 3 levels/bosses per day is an inflated rate of progress given some of the early episodes having one-screen levels and the like. So a more realistic estimate of when raocow will complete MAGL X2 is, I'm guessing, sometime in November.

With that in mind, I think we should aim to have an updated DevKit ready for folks to use by the end of October, so we can catch the wave of level-creation interest at its crest.

I know one of the main issues to resolve is replacing some of the music tracks, and that's being addressed in the separate music thread. Aside from the music, what else needs to be done to prepare an updated DevKit? I understand there's been and continues to be a lot of work done on the engine itself, Wohlstand's editor, LunaLua... but it's not clear where those things stand and to what extent they need to be resolved (or at least up to a "ready for use" state, even if patches continue to be released) before we issue an updated DevKit.

Any other issues that need resolving? Where can we best help?
Hoeloe
A2XT person
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Hoeloe »

Voltgloss wrote: I know one of the main issues to resolve is replacing some of the music tracks, and that's being addressed in the separate music thread. Aside from the music, what else needs to be done to prepare an updated DevKit? I understand there's been and continues to be a lot of work done on the engine itself, Wohlstand's editor, LunaLua... but it's not clear where those things stand and to what extent they need to be resolved (or at least up to a "ready for use" state, even if patches continue to be released) before we issue an updated DevKit.
I can't be certain I know everything that needs to be done, but here is a list of things I know DO:
  • Upgrade to LunaLua v0.7, and ensure things still work
  • Create a lunaworld.lua file
  • Include the demo counter in the newer Lua version
  • Finish up the shop library
  • Add raocoin counter to lunaworld.lua
The last two at least are basically my job, but that will be easy to finish before October.

Also, is anyone still around who was working on the plot? I was involved in some of it so I kind of know what was planned, but it would be good to make sure we haven't just, quite literally, lost the plot.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

For the Devkit/Base Game itself, it's just the music and any sound effects that we want to change. Any Episode 2 world stuff will probably come in a separate download.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Hoeloe
A2XT person

Post by Hoeloe »

SAJewers wrote:For the Devkit/Base Game itself, it's just the music and any sound effects that we want to change. Any Episode 2 world stuff will probably come in a separate download.
The lunaworld.lua I was referring to would be a Lua script that runs on every level. It would possibly contain things like the demo counter, and is worth including in the devkit, since it means people can test their levels with everything running as it will in the final game, even assuming they don't use it.
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Ah. In that case, maybe I should get to making a mockup of a potential new HUD.

EDIT: OK, what I'm thinking, taking into consideration compatibility with Episode 1:

- Remove the leek counter and replace it with a raocoin counter
- Swap the positions of the raocoin counter and the live counter
- Get rid of deaths removing lives (and thus gameovers) and allow the lives counter to go beyond 99
- Implement the shop system to use either raocoins or lives
- Add some colour to the word "Demos" in the demo counter.
Hoeloe
A2XT person

Post by Hoeloe »

SAJewers wrote:Ah. In that case, maybe I should get to making a mockup of a potential new HUD.

EDIT: OK, what I'm thinking, taking into consideration compatibility with Episode 1:

- Remove the leek counter and replace it with a raocoin counter
- Swap the positions of the raocoin counter and the live counter
- Get rid of deaths removing lives (and thus gameovers) and allow the lives counter to go beyond 99
- Implement the shop system to use either raocoins or lives
- Add some colour to the word "Demos" in the demo counter.
Some of those are a little awkward to implement. The shop library as it is isn't set up to deal with lives as a currency, though, and considering that life farms are a thing that crop up a lot, I think raocoins is probably still the more sensible choice for that.

I think most of these changes will need implementing in the base engine, rather than with Lua, though colour in the Demo counter should be a thing done with Lua.
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Well, as long as we can get of gameovers (and thus, the need for life farms), while not making 1ups irrelevant somehow. Would it be easier to instead let the lives counter go into the negative (and thus be an aggregate of 1ups collected vs deaths)?
Voltgloss

Post by Voltgloss »

Hoeloe wrote:Also, is anyone still around who was working on the plot? I was involved in some of it so I kind of know what was planned, but it would be good to make sure we haven't just, quite literally, lost the plot.
Demolition and Darkychao were primarily at the reins there. Demolition hasn't logged into the haus since the beginning of April, but Darkychao was on as recently as last week. Darkychao, are you and Demolition still working on the A2XT Ep 2 plot?

Hoeloe, I also see posts in the story thread that Demolition/Darkychao explained some of their plans to you on Skype. Would you be able to share with us what they discussed with you? I'd say to post that in the story thread proper, rather than here, because the story thread has spoiler warnings and raocow won't go there.
Voltgloss

Post by Voltgloss »

SAJewers wrote:Well, as long as we can get of gameovers (and thus, the need for life farms), while not making 1ups irrelevant somehow. Would it be easier to instead let the lives counter go into the negative (and thus be an aggregate of 1ups collected vs deaths)?
Could we make "deaths decrease the lives count" something the player can choose to toggle on or off? That way 1ups remain relevant as a prize for people who want to try to play through the game WITH the risk of gameovering. raocow probably won't, but I expect those who like challenge runs would appreciate the option.
Hoeloe
A2XT person

Post by Hoeloe »

Voltgloss wrote: Hoeloe, I also see posts in the story thread that Demolition/Darkychao explained some of their plans to you on Skype. Would you be able to share with us what they discussed with you? I'd say to post that in the story thread proper, rather than here, because the story thread has spoiler warnings and raocow won't go there.
Yes, some things were discussed, though it wasn't much before the whole MAGLX2 thing started. I'd prefer in Demolition or Darkychao explained it because of that (I'm missing a lot of details), but if they don't want to work on it, I'll do what I can.
Voltgloss wrote: Could we make "deaths decrease the lives count" something the player can choose to toggle on or off? That way 1ups remain relevant as a prize for people who want to try to play through the game WITH the risk of gameovering. raocow probably won't, but I expect those who like challenge runs would appreciate the option.
Yes, should be possible. I think MAGLX2 is doing exactly that.
Voltgloss

Post by Voltgloss »

Hoeloe wrote:
Voltgloss wrote: Hoeloe, I also see posts in the story thread that Demolition/Darkychao explained some of their plans to you on Skype. Would you be able to share with us what they discussed with you? I'd say to post that in the story thread proper, rather than here, because the story thread has spoiler warnings and raocow won't go there.
Yes, some things were discussed, though it wasn't much before the whole MAGLX2 thing started. I'd prefer in Demolition or Darkychao explained it because of that (I'm missing a lot of details), but if they don't want to work on it, I'll do what I can.
I'm interested and happy to assist re: plot - I just don't know what they are/were planning. Hopefully one or both of them will show. If not, perhaps you and I can put our heads together to work on filling the gaps.

In any case, while plot is certainly a thing that needs to get done somewhere along the line, it doesn't strike me as something that must (or even should) be fully completed before the updated DevKit is set up. I'd say to leave room for the plot to grow and evolve organically based on the levels submitted and used for the episode.
Hoeloe
A2XT person

Post by Hoeloe »

Voltgloss wrote: In any case, while plot is certainly a thing that needs to get done somewhere along the line, it doesn't strike me as something that must (or even should) be fully completed before the updated DevKit is set up. I'd say to leave room for the plot to grow and evolve organically based on the levels submitted and used for the episode.
Sure, that sounds like a good plan.
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Yeah, the plot should mostly come from what levels get submitted and approved.

Also, now that I think about it, how easy would it be to implement the Music-less P-switch like in ASMT/A2MT (where you just hear ticking, and the music doesn't change?)

Anyway, here's A2MT's HUD, so you can grab the "DEMOS" text and maybe use that instead of the plain white "DEMOS" text currently used in Episode 1/MAGLX2
Attachments
smwA2MT 3.1_00000.png
smwA2MT 3.1_00000.png (1.54 KiB) Viewed 8085 times
Voltgloss

Post by Voltgloss »

Hoeloe wrote:
Who is working on these three items? Rednaxela?
Hoeloe
A2XT person

Post by Hoeloe »

Voltgloss wrote:
Hoeloe wrote:
I don't think anyone is. The second and third I can probably manage myself, but I don't know about the first one. It depends what was patched in the devkit exe file.
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Hoeloe wrote:
Voltgloss wrote:
Hoeloe wrote:
I don't think anyone is. The second and third I can probably manage myself, but I don't know about the first one. It depends what was patched in the devkit exe file.
Third one you can just grab the code from Horikawa that she made for MAGLX2, and modify it so the "DEMOS" text is coloured.
LunarNeedle
The Golden Spork
First name: Matthew

Re: Updates/Announcements (READ FIRST)

Post by LunarNeedle »

I'll be planning on making amends for MAGLX2 by actually contributing as much levels as possible, I'm pretty much done two of them as we speak and I have inspiration for the third, so yes.

:D
"All these flavors and you choose to be salty"
- Grandma
Slit08

Post by Slit08 »

One thing I am really itnerested in is when the actual development of A2XT Episode 2 will start, like the meat of development so to speak. MAGLX 2 is done after all (for a while now) so I thought that stuff would start moving here. So yeah, any idea when things are going to happen?
[ img ]http://www.loadthegame.com/wp-content/u ... 4jun14.jpg[/ img ]

Night comes and with it terrible horrors.

The hunt begins!