(shouting)

MaGL X2 - Cat Planet × Pokemon OTP

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
LunarRainbowShyGuy

Re: MaGL X2 - ?

Post by LunarRainbowShyGuy »

My opinions of today's levels.
I Liked SMB2: That sure wass segments of SMB2. Like one of the judges said, I enjoyed how easy Wart was.

In the Beginning, It was all Comfort in the Hills: This is a pretty basic level. My one complaint is that you have to spend quite a bit of time running back and forth before you get to the actual level, which could get annoying if you were to die before getting the midpoint.

I Read in a Book That in Shadow Moses Oceans Are More Like Manors: It looks like it would have been good if it was finished but what is there looks good for a first half of a level.

Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Re: MaGL X2 - Horikawa Slowly Dies (new evening raocow in thread!)

Post by Leet »

Divemissile wrote:two m3l0ns filled to the brim with 2hu, everybody's favorite.
it must be septentrion's level, then!
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
CloudyCloud

Post by CloudyCloud »

I want to ask a question.

So where to download the levels that raocow has played already? I remember that it should be given on a weekly basis, and since it is about 20th day already, there should be at least one or two batches of levels to download, right?
(I may want to learn some ideas from those low-ranked-but-just-need-refine levels.)
Last edited by CloudyCloud 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
blue_kirby
Wrong lever!!!
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by blue_kirby »

Getting closer and closer
I Liked SMB2: Anybody else notice that Wart's been getting more love in MAGLX2 than he did in MAGLX? Also, how would he be able to make a level that sticks out from the regular SMB2? Hmm ...

In the Beginning, It was all Comfort in the Hills: Level got funny after the "disaster" portion, and I wondered why a Rinka was randomly placed there. I did like where the level was going though ...

I Read in a Book That in Shadow Moses Oceans Are More Like Manors: The fact that you stripped Metal Gear Solid from the level theme and still made it relevant is pretty good effort ... I liked the pirate theme that was going on in the level. However, I'm pretty sure that the "second half" kinda looked weird, but life does happen, so it's understandable.
"That's embarrassing"
FusionWarrior
Super Sayian Mewtwo Genetic Freak
First name: Jon
Pronouns: Anything Goes

Post by FusionWarrior »

🐲Bowser rules this thread🐲
ImageImage
raocow wrote:dragon ain't having any of my frosted flakes, that's how I feel
blue_kirby
Wrong lever!!!

Post by blue_kirby »

FusionWarrior wrote:🐲Bowser rules this thread🐲
Everything here must be read in RaoBowser's voice for now on.
"That's embarrassing"
Fawriel

Post by Fawriel »

Raoser.
KayhemMaus
I keep breaking my face on SMBX
First name: KM
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by KayhemMaus »

Draexzhan wrote:Oh yeah, I guess tomorrow we're returning to evening MaGL X2s?
Nah, Startropics takes the evening slot. He explained in I think the last ST video how he was going to do it.
nyoro~n n~yoron

I love it
Oddwrath
The ghost of talkhaus unlikely

Post by Oddwrath »

I have a feeling my level is coming close just based on the quality of the recent ones. Possibly next video even.
:lesbian_pride: my avatar is from that obake game made in 2001 that you cannot play anymore unless you run it through a virtual machine and apply a locale patch
Piter Lauchy
Suitable for all Buddy purposes
First name: Merlin

Post by Piter Lauchy »

Nathan the Talkmaus wrote:
Grounder wrote:
Sturg wrote:oh boy I totally know what level's coming up tomorrow
is it 2hu
It can't be. It has melons.
If that's the joke I think it is: Well played.
You're awesome.
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

The level today was likely to crash and have a lot of lag due to the high amount of background objects and blocks. This is one of the reasons for why it had to be split in two.

Edit: and it looks like it was split in two by the author. I had to modify the transition to be an exit instead of warp directly to the other level, since that does not go well with hub layout. Having a level warp the player into another level will make the player not warp back to correct melon when they die.
Last edited by Willhart 8 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
jayScribble
FEEL THE FORCE
Pronouns: it, they, that

Post by jayScribble »

Horikawa Otane wrote:
Willhart wrote:The level today was likely to crash and have a lot of lag due to the high amount of background objects and blocks. This is one of the reasons for why it had to be split in two.
Well the dude split it into two himself. I tried to combine it into one, but there were too many BGOs when I did.
With all the SMW-like backgrounds with all the diamond and 90 degree angle formations at the first half being like that, I see why there were too many BGOs.
Have a 3DS friend code and PM me if you added me: 1289-8788-1766
Three important threads for me:
Fawriel

Post by Fawriel »

This level would've been so much better without all the obstacles that require you to do really tight, finicky, precise and controlled jumps. The parts that had a lot of dynamism to them seemed really fun in spite of how hard they were, but then there's all these asshole jumps over de-facto munchers and it just kills all momentum that might build up otherwise.
Mr-Snrub

Post by Mr-Snrub »

Garlyle wrote:
Mr-Snrub wrote:I find that the standard of levels pre world 4 in the first MaGL X contest were pretty good, world 4 onwards was just phenomenal in terms of level design (for the most part) I'm kinda hoping the same pattern is followed here
To be fair, we're not quite at the same place proportionally as we were in MAGLX1, simply by virtue of having over twice as many levels.

I think we're going to be solidly in middling territory for a while.
If todays level was anything to go by...Yes you are exactly right my friend. That being said I wouldn't mind seeing some one TAS that level
this bbcode is defined in bbcode.phpImage[/registered]
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

Yeesh, if he had to split the level, he could at least have added a midpoint in each half.

It feels weird that the first half doesn't give a star. I know the author didn't intend there to be one, but the first half is easier and without a star it doesn't count for unlockables. I don't see a particular reason to make that level skipabble for postgame purposes. (other than that you'd have to tweak the star doors to account for it, and raocow would have to go through it again if you changed it)

Those bits where you had to podoboo-jump looked like they would have been easier with Peach. Since the level ignored the character gimmick, I'm guessing you could have just brought Peach in? You'd have to dodge the character filters on the way, though.
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
QuietProtag
also known as luigiman09, rip 2010-2014
First name: Félix

Post by QuietProtag »

That level was strange. That's the only thing that comes in mind really.

Also, why the random Spanish(?) part?
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

QuietProtag wrote:That level was strange. That's the only thing that comes in mind really.

Also, why the random Spanish(?) part?
The ceiling will fall down and crush the player if you stay still long enough after talking to that toad. I wonder if it's a joke or something.
Mr-Snrub

Post by Mr-Snrub »

I feel that if the level raocow played today were to have been entered into the kaizo x contest it probably would have at least placed top 5 if not won out right
this bbcode is defined in bbcode.phpImage[/registered]
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

While I haven't actually played the level (obviously), today's level looked like utter garbage. Seemly random obstacles, zero sense of direction for the player, seemly useless paths, you can't tell what will hurt you and what won't, things blending in too well, way too long, cramped corridors that probably Mario and Toad can fit through.

There's just so much wrong with this level IMO.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
FluffyMeatloaf
a delectable bean burrito

Post by FluffyMeatloaf »

I really like the amount of work put into the looks of today's level, (though it gets awfully claustrophobic for all its size) but it reeeeeaaaaally needed more fine tuning in regards to how practical it all was. Way too many instances where having a powerup made it irksome / impossible to get by, and even if that wasn't the case it probably wouldn't matter a whole lot since most of the platforming punishes with instant death when screwing up. There's also the damaging / instant death bits that can be kinda hard to distinguish from scenery. Combined with the length... yeah, kinda cool to watch, but I wouldn't be eager to try this out myself.
Alsoooooo...
Nathan the Talkmaus wrote:
Grounder wrote:
Sturg wrote:oh boy I totally know what level's coming up tomorrow
is it 2hu
It can't be. It has melons.
Ooooooh, sick burn, yo.
Horikawa Otane wrote:I beat the level without god mode, raocow ur a traitor to magl x2 and should be hanged :evil:
He was just kinda stuck in the moment, though. I mean, I guess he could've deactivated it while on the lava and all...
snoruntpyro
cutest girl 2023

Post by snoruntpyro »

My biggest issue with this level is the fact that he didn't take having to split the level as an opportunity to put more midpoints in...
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

It felt more like SMWCP Cave of Lost Pride than anything else to me, what with the super narrow, suffocating bullshit maze that makes no sense

Katazuki
wawa
Pronouns: whomst

Post by Katazuki »

At first, I was thinking how this level got to be ranked higher up than the others, but then I see that it did have elements of a good level in it, but is just hindered by the length of the level and the fact that you can get stuck in some places.

Who has the most?
Draexzhan
Flair text
First name: Nathan

Post by Draexzhan »

So here comes the dreaded double melon...
Lava Rockway, part 1: Well, this level definitely looks really good. and I'm digging the music. But there's just so many little issues with it. like leaps of faith, unclear background vs foreground lava, getting trapped in various places, backtrack pipes, tight jumps. That being said, this part really isn't too bad. I thought it was pretty good, and quite frankly, if the level just ended at the ex-midpoint, I think it would have scored pretty high. I'd give this half a 62.

Lava Rockway, part 2: This part is much like the first part, except the problems are much worse. The tight jumps are everywhere, the lava chase sections are too unforgiving. I feel like this level wasn't properly tested. Like you wanted it to look good, and then you hit save and called it a day. This second part would be better off as its own level with its own midpoint. Maybe then it would be more tolerable. At any rate, you lost a lot of points for unfair difficulty, so I'm giving this half a 53.
Signature text.
Kukironosuke
You can call me Kuki
First name: Travis
Pronouns: he/him/kirbys

Post by Kukironosuke »

i thought the lava foreground/background was pretty obvious

also rule of thumb always assume lava is really lava and not background, i do agree its a terrible idea that this level creator had both real lava and background lava, but you can tell by the layering of the objects which lava fall is in the background and which is in the foreground/center ground

if the lava puppy is behind a white line pillar/rock, then it is background, if it is in front of a white line pillar/rock then the lava puppy will kill you