(shouting)

Recommend Underrated Games!

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
Katazuki
wawa
Pronouns: whomst

Recommend Underrated Games!

Post by Katazuki »

Have you ever found that one game that you loved, but no one else ever seemed to noticed? Well here is a good place to give some of these games a spot in the limelight! Feel free to recommend old games, new games, indie games, mobile games, etc! Who knows, some games might be more known that you think!

~~~

Anyways, I have a few games that I feel doesn't get a lot of coverage, but for right now, I'll suggest one game to you guys:

Odin Sphere (PS2)

I'm pretty sad that one of my favorite games of all time isn't really mentioned around as much for being the fantastic game that it is. In fact, Vanillaware games in general don't get nearly as much publicity as I'd expect them to even though many reviews have agreed that their games are good.

This game is an action RPG, and you play as 5 different characters who each have different stories that have their own endings and eventually converge with each other. However you get to choose the order of which characters you want to play as, and that's where the stories get good. You can uncover different scenes and different endings depending on the order you play the characters in. After you finish one playthrough, you can start a new order with all of your stats and items carried over from the last playthrough. There's even a record of events that happen throughout the story so you can see what new events you uncover on successive playthroughs. And yes, there's the option to skip cutscenes, so you don't have to see them twice. The replayability of this game is really great!

The artwork of this game is some of the best of the PS2 era. And the music also accompanies the visuals very well. The one downside to this is that the loading times are actually pretty long, but that's to be expected when there's so much to render. And they're not as abundant as Sonic '06, so it's worth the wait.

I seriously wish that this game got a little more recognition then what Youtube is showing me, but I suppose the fact that the peeps that do know about this game acknowledge it's greatness is good enough.

~~~

So what are some missing gems that you wish were uncovered?
Last edited by Katazuki 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Who has the most?
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Re: Suggest Underrated Games!

Post by Leet »

but all my favorite games are obscure
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Alien Soldier
Castlevania Bloodlines
Dragon Quest series (everyone ignores this outside of japan)
Fantasy Zone series
Ganbare Goemon series
Jumping Flash series
Klonoa series
Legend of Valkyrie
Pulseman
SaGa series (see dragon quest)
Teddy Boy Blues
Puyo Puyo series
Virtual-On series
a shitton more games i probably forgot

i'd add ys too but i don't think that's too obscure tbh
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Katazuki
wawa

Post by Katazuki »

KobaBeach wrote:Alien Soldier
Castlevania Bloodlines
Dragon Quest series (everyone ignores this outside of japan)
Fantasy Zone series
Ganbare Goemon series
Jumping Flash series
Klonoa series
Legend of Valkyrie
Pulseman
SaGa series (see dragon quest)
Teddy Boy Blues
Puyo Puyo series
Virtual-On series
a shitton more games i probably forgot

i'd add ys too but i don't think that's too obscure tbh
There's a million games that are popular in Japan that doesn't see an ported release, so that's part of it. Puyo Puyo for example has 5 games that never made it outside of Japan after Fever. 6 if you count Puyo Puyo Quest on mobile. US only has 2 official Puyo games, the GBA version and Fever, so that contributes to its obscurity. And besides, you don't see peeps in the US going nuts over puzzle games anyways (unless you count Puzzle and Dragons which is a pretty popular mobile game in the US, though not as big as in Japan that's for sure).

The western gamers just have different tastes than the east. And though there are us minority, these games won't be coming out of obscurity any time soon, if not ever!

Who has the most?
noterday

Re: Recommend Underrated Games!

Post by noterday »

I dont actually know if I'd call it underrated since ive only played it as a kid and i have no idea if it still holds up today but one game that I personally liked but don't ever hear about is Vexx.

That game is the first thing to pop up in my mind when talking about unnoticed games because there really isnt a lot of info about it online and for years I couldnt remember its name and that really bugged me. I only rented it like twice when i was younger and I have pretty good memories of it but then I forgot about it for a long time.

I only had like vague memories of it but they were all pretty fun memories so I kind of think of it as this super amazing underrated gem because of that but it might actually be super bad for all i know. I should probably emulate it on like gamecube to try it out again.
Ult

Post by Ult »

It's technically not out yet but i've really been enjoying Jack the Reaper. Anyone else hear of this? I think raocow should play it when it's out.

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?t ... ;topicseen
Argumentable
the biggest shit
https://argu.talkhaus.com/

Post by Argumentable »

Aquaria

One thousand times Aquaria

It's basically your metroidvania type of game, but there's not quite as much focus on the upgrading your powers (forms in this case) and more about exploration and such. I really dug the atmosphere of the whole game, I'm kind of fascinated by sea life so having a completely (heh) underwater game with tons of fish and sea creatures made me dig it even more, but I do think it's a wonderful atmospheric game. Don't go into it expecting to be blasting a bunch of fish into crafting materials, even though you can do that, but looking around and just enjoying the ride.

The game does suffer from starting off really slowly. If you ever look at global achievement stats on steam for it only 17% of everyone has the "reached open waters" achievement, which is where the game starts to pick up and get fun. A lot of people give up on the game before then, and I almost did, too, but if you trust me or even want to see how rosy my glasses are, play it up to there and then a bit more after. The game gets wonderfully weird and enjoyable. Also I think I only got frustrated enough at one part to bother looking up what to do and even then it was an "oh" moment cause I had all the pieces of the puzzle, I just couldn't put them together. I can talk about this game more if you want

Also I would love to do a lets play of it, but I know I would ruin it and I feel like it would take a certain type of lets play to match it. Also spoiler

the true ending ends in a cliffhanger that will never be resolved

I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw
Katazuki
wawa

Post by Katazuki »

Here's another underrated game for you guys!

Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo Tales (DS)

A sadly overlooked game in the Final Fantasy spin off series, but I can at least see why. It's presented as a rather cute game, that's only just a bunch of minigames and a card game slapped on it. But to be honest, I found the card game portion of the game some of the most fun I've ever had playing a card game (with me not being much of a TCG person). The minigames though, are pretty much that. When I remember this game, I didn't even remember any of the minigames at all. But I say it's worth it to play this game just for the card game segments themselves.

The graphics are very cute, as I would expect, and the music is also what I'd expect, a bunch of remixed songs from older mainstream Final Fantasy games with a few original songs in the mix.

There's not much to expect in the game story-wise, but all and all, it's a satisfying experience overall for what it's worth.

This game did have a sequel in Japan, but as far as I saw, the card game aspect was removed, so I could care less about it.

Who has the most?
Duvi0
Artist, streamer, level designer, and more, for the low low price of a jar of peaches!

Post by Duvi0 »

Not a Hero
Will Fight for Food
Infinity Wars
Boring Man
Mount Your Friends (surprisingly, it's a solid game)
Mibibli''s Quest
Rock of Ages
Fantasy Zone II

Dude, at least 90% of my library is obscure.
Yo peeps! I'm Duvi. Wanna know more about what I'm like, look at my tumblr, http://duvi0.tumblr.com
talk to me on Skype (mossyduvi0) or Steam (duvi0), or watch my streams at http://twitch.tv/duvi0!
However, my description of myself goes like this: I'm a smart idiot who writes and designs well, but as jacks of all trades go, I can really do jack.
TheFinalSentinel
Low rates,%Percent%signs%, I dunno
First name: £ٌœ'ƒھ‡ح¼円Qف-‹";ôىù♪ïظ§»ھ
https://thefinalsentinel.talkhaus.com/

Post by TheFinalSentinel »

Katazuki wrote:Here's another underrated game for you guys!

Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo Tales (DS)

Good choice. It's not the best game, but it was worth a play.
TheBaddestBatter
STRRRRRRRIKE!
First name: Uncle Ben
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by TheBaddestBatter »

cave story
it has a remake so i'm not sure if it would count but
cave story
the original game is free and translated and there are people making fangames/hacks of too.
Am I a duck? Am I a dog? Am I a cat? No one knows.
I play an unhealthy amount of Smash Bros. and Animal Crossing and Pokemon.
Argumentable
the biggest shit

Post by Argumentable »

Duvi0 wrote: Rock of Ages
This is a really fun game that does not take itself seriously. It's super fun with a friend, too. Me and limepie played it a bit and limepie doesn't even like games
I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw
Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
https://ditocoaf.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ditocoaf »

Argumentable wrote:Aquaria

One thousand times Aquaria

It's basically your metroidvania type of game, but there's not quite as much focus on the upgrading your powers (forms in this case) and more about exploration and such. I really dug the atmosphere of the whole game, I'm kind of fascinated by sea life so having a completely (heh) underwater game with tons of fish and sea creatures made me dig it even more, but I do think it's a wonderful atmospheric game. Don't go into it expecting to be blasting a bunch of fish into crafting materials, even though you can do that, but looking around and just enjoying the ride.

The game does suffer from starting off really slowly. If you ever look at global achievement stats on steam for it only 17% of everyone has the "reached open waters" achievement, which is where the game starts to pick up and get fun. A lot of people give up on the game before then, and I almost did, too, but if you trust me or even want to see how rosy my glasses are, play it up to there and then a bit more after. The game gets wonderfully weird and enjoyable. Also I think I only got frustrated enough at one part to bother looking up what to do and even then it was an "oh" moment cause I had all the pieces of the puzzle, I just couldn't put them together. I can talk about this game more if you want

Also I would love to do a lets play of it, but I know I would ruin it and I feel like it would take a certain type of lets play to match it. Also spoiler

the true ending ends in a cliffhanger that will never be resolved

If I ever try my hand at LPing, I think I'd take another shot at Aquaria. The main thing that killed it for me early on was the way my map coverage went away whenever I died, so I'd feel like I needed to re-"explore" areas I already knew I had no reason to visit at the moment, just to make the map accurate to my knowledge. The slow pace made that excruciating, so after 2-3 deaths I gave up. If I were LPing, I'd probably be able to resist completionist urges a bit better, for the sake of pacing.

You could join in as the smug co-commenter who's already played the game.
TheBaddestBatter wrote:cave story
it has a remake so i'm not sure if it would count but
cave story
the original game is free and translated and there are people making fangames/hacks of too.
I love Cave Story, but I wouldn't call it "underrated". It has widespread and earnest acclaim.
Argumentable
the biggest shit

Post by Argumentable »

Sure I would be in any LP with you it doesn't have to be Aquaria
Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
https://ditocoaf.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ditocoaf »

Well the likelihood of me actually starting to LP anything is pretty low. It's just a thought.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

There are two PS2 games that I enjoyed in the past but I don't think are talked about a lot:
  • SpyHunter

A 3D remake of an old arcade game called Spy Hunter. You drive around a car full of weaponry, called the Interceptor, and you have a set of missions to complete with it. Each mission has set objectives that generally include "destroy X" and "don't inflict civilian casualty". You drive on roads, kind of like in a racing game, but emphasis is on dealing with enemy cars and other targets using a variety of offensive (such as machine guns, missiles, and EMP) and defensive (oil slick to make roads slippery, smoke screen, and flamethrower) weapons while you try to stay on course with your objectives.
  • Kinetica

A futuristic racing game with weird-looking cybernetic bicycles called Kinetic Suits. You race in topsy-turvy tracks, but you can also perform stunts (kind of like in Cool Boarders or Tony Hawk games), which increase your boost meter. The boost allows you to go faster; there are also boost arrows found in race tracks that allow you to either speed up or siphon the boost to fill up your meter. Collecting enough crystals gives you one of six power-ups, such as a burst attack that creates a shockwave around you to hit other racers, boost energy, temporary faster stunts mode.
TheFinalSentinel

Katazuki wrote:boop

Psst...
GET
HYPED
Katazuki
wawa

Post by Katazuki »

TheFinalSentinel wrote:

Psst...
GET
HYPED
A remake! Hoopla! A shame I don't own any newer gen consoles to play it on. ;3;

Who has the most?
Piter Lauchy
Suitable for all Buddy purposes
First name: Merlin

Post by Piter Lauchy »

Best game of my childhood.
Nintendo World Cup - Fuck PES and fuck FIFA. This right here is the best football game ever.

Also, this one:
The Legend of Dragoon - Amazing RPG. Liked it better than any PS1 FF. And I love VII and IX.

You're awesome.
Vergalon
help, I've been abducted (?)

Post by Vergalon »

RPG Tyme!

Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean- Or you could just leave it at Baten Kaitos... It's a neat RPG for the Gamecube that has a beautiful world, interesting characters, a decent story... and terrible voice acting (D:). If you change the audio options and can deal with the ham a bit, it's a great time with an interesting combat system utilizing a deck of cars that act as your attacks. Great music

Baten Kaitos Origins- The prequel to the above, also on the GC. It fixes several options that the first game had, changing the combat system for the better, having good voices, and giving you another welcome sampling of the world. A solid upgrade from the first. Great music again

Lost Odyssey- Wow, an RPG for the Xbox 360?! One of the earlier 360 titles, it has in my opinion a great original story and premise, FFIV style combat, and an interesting and believable world.

Skies of Arcadia Legends- Sky pirates and high adventure RPG, without an edgy protagonist! Originally on the Dreamcast (with super high random encounter rates), it was later released on the Gamecube with improvements on the original, although the audio suffered a bit. It has simple turn based combat and story, but the overall feeling that the game radiates, the world building it does, and the sense of adventure, set it apart from any other game released at the time. It also features airship battles, wow! And my avatar image is a Looper which is a common enemy type of this game.

That said, good luck to those looking for any of these, especially Skies of Arcadia
TheFinalSentinel

Vergalon wrote:Skies of Arcadia
Skies 2 plz based Sega. Image
Picochilla
The eternal Cuddles

Post by Picochilla »

Uniracers
Claymates
Snowboard Kids
Keitai Denjuu Telefang

And some others i dont remember right now.
100% Approved!
Patooties are Talkhaus' best thing!
So... I just put in my Youtube-Channel
Vergalon
help, I've been abducted (?)

Post by Vergalon »

TheFinalSentinel wrote:
Vergalon wrote:Skies of Arcadia
Skies 2 plz based Sega. Image
They still know Vyse and the crew exist-!
If only Sega would get their collective heads out of whatever they have placed them in (:X)
Oddwrath
The ghost of talkhaus unlikely

Post by Oddwrath »

Fighties is a something that came out recently. It's super fun, one of the most adorable games on Steam today and it is something you should be playing right now.

Conquer the Shadow World is really short(about 20 min to beat), but it's a pretty fun time waster.

Spirit Engine 2 is just amazing. The most underrated indie rpg in my opinion. Also, dat soundtrack.
:lesbian_pride: my avatar is from that obake game made in 2001 that you cannot play anymore unless you run it through a virtual machine and apply a locale patch