(shouting)

General Planning Thread

If you lost something come look for it here
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Re: General Planning Thread

Post by Dragon Fogel »

Okay. So I have some thoughts.

We haven't done a serious push for levels here yet, and I think the best time to do that is once MAGLX2 starts. Which is relatively soon, considering we just had an announcement video for it. I want to ask raocow to give us a shout-out during the intro to that series, since that's going to get a fair amount of attention and it's an easy follow-up to explaining the name gimmick.

So with that approaching, I want to be a bit more prepared.

From the levels we've already made, it looks like we're going with the Mario cast with replacements when a level creator feels like it. I think that works out fine.

We haven't decided much about plot structure or whether we're going with a world map or a hub. That said, if we're going to get a bunch of other people involved it might work better to wait before having a poll on those things, so more people can vote and weigh in.

I guess my main question right now is, if we're going to promote this project more in the near future, what do we want to have ready? (Besides "more levels", which is obviously a good thing no matter what else we do.)
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
FFR
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by FFR »

we want to have the people ready, since the response in the general planning and review threads is so low. rally the people!
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

Okay, I'm bringing this up because of the discussion in the MAGL X2 thread: FFR suggested a dragon coin indicator of some kind for levels in this, and I just want to note that I'm entirely for it. This also means that dragon coin difficulty will have to be considered in general when testing, not just in levels where they give you a star.

If people who have already made levels want to add dragon coins to them, feel free. Just be sure to actually post about it so we know you've updated them.
S1eth

Post by S1eth »

My level already has a dragon coin counter, and rewards you with a star for getting them all.
FFR

Post by FFR »

I'm all for it, I've been doing dragoncoin runs in all the levels I tested, even tho some folks here dont really think dagadons are that important RIGHT CAPEDLU *DEATHSTARE* anyway I approve, and maybe I'll put some dragons in my levels too
snoruntpyro
cutest girl 2023
Pronouns: she/her

Post by snoruntpyro »

I'd like to see a counter here, especially because people can just update their levels on the fly with Dragon Coins or making them less insane to get.
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

I just sent raocow a PM asking him to give this project a shout-out. Hopefully we'll get more people making levels once that happens.

Also, I've been thinking it might be useful to have a dedicated chat room for this project. I'm just not sure what IRC server generally gets used by Talkhaus people, otherwise I'd go ahead and make it myself right now.
FFR

Post by FFR »

this whole thing did slow down considerably eh.... I hope the shoutout revitalizes it a bit
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

I feel like it's because there's not a lot to talk about unless someone makes a level. Although, we do have some decisions we have to make and I should probably set up polls/discussion threads about those decisions.

I think the main decisions right now are "hub or world map" and "do we have a plot of some kind". Cast has been pretty much settled as "Mario cast, possibly with some recurring replacements". We've already got a Demo level, for instance, and I recall RenaTurnip was making a level with a Toad replacement. If there's anything else with enough to talk about to make a thread for it, well, someone can go ahead and do that.

I've also wanted to actually make a level, but I keep feeling stumped when I try to. I'm probably not alone in that.

Most of the slowness is probably because this is still early in development and things haven't quite taken shape yet. Getting more levels from interested people will help with that; the other thing that will help is if we start trying to make some of these decisions.

I guess for now I'll make threads.
Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans
Pronouns: they/them
https://rednaxela.talkhaus.com

Post by Rednaxela »

For my part, I have some level ideas I want to work on, but most time I've had for talkhaus-projects lately has went to either LunaDLL or the relay level (and maybe helping out a touch with other MaGL X2 preparations)
Zygl

Post by Zygl »

Dragon Fogel wrote:Also, I've been thinking it might be useful to have a dedicated chat room for this project. I'm just not sure what IRC server generally gets used by Talkhaus people, otherwise I'd go ahead and make it myself right now.
It used to be irc.rena.so but now that #talkhaus is no more and the server is to my knowledge basically entirely dissociated from the talkhaus I'm not so sure...

Also for the record most of my lack of progress shown lately is because, to be needlessly vague, I have a new time commitment out in the meatspace of the real world and adjusting my schedule (by which of course I mean lack thereof) to work around that has been very much 'a thing'.
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

Dragon Fogel wrote:I just sent raocow a PM asking him to give this project a shout-out. Hopefully we'll get more people making levels once that happens.
Just noting that he replied to say he'd do it, so everyone can officially get excited about this.
Mystick
Pronouns: he/him/his!

Post by Mystick »

Oh shoot I totally forgot about this project! :OOOOOOO

I guess I'll start working on my level "I'll be Back" in the winter break, which starts in a few weeks.
Yo'
lucasadrianogb
huh
First name: Lucas

Post by lucasadrianogb »

Are the Rejected Cards on MAFAB a thing in this too?
Maybe combined with a level name in a way.
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

I'm not opposed to doing something with them, but it's not always going to be clear which cards weren't used unless it's revealed by the person who got those cards.
lucasadrianogb
huh
First name: Lucas

Post by lucasadrianogb »

I guess horikawa would have to authorize us to reveal the unused cards,or she could do it herself idunno, not sure if it counts as spoiling but i dont think it does.
FFR

Post by FFR »

I'd say ask her about it first
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

Some people already revealed their unused cards in the discussion thread. It would take some poking around to find them, though. Still, they'd probably all be close to each other.

I might take a shot at that a little later.
FFR

Post by FFR »

I can confirm I used 4 or 5 of my cards, and 2 headed dog was one of the unused ones
FFR

Post by FFR »

sorry for doublepost, but this

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Default.aspx

use that site to find cards

edited, because there was an official website for this and I'm stupid
Last edited by FFR 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

Thanks, I ended up using a different site (the one the current URLs are all for already, just copied one and left some parts of the URL off), but now I've got links for all the cards in the list.
snoruntpyro
cutest girl 2023
Pronouns: she/her

Post by snoruntpyro »

Here's the cards I got for my never-finished MaFabulous if you're interested.
FFR

Post by FFR »

ok, my brain is working! I remember this card and I did not use it http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/ ... eid=152904
Solaris
flowercuco
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by Solaris »

so for plot, i trust fogel to make the plot, no matter how minor, and i do feel like we should have one, even as small as "well, here's an island with rejected levels! gotta do a thing" and with small changes to levels made to accommodate that! we should take advantage of the fact that it's not a contest

and since this isn't a contest at some point, probably once there's more levels, order of the levels is going to be something to think about? with a hub, i guess that Vague Difficulty dividers would work, like here's a group of easy levels all together and heres a group of hard ones, but depending on the size and themes used we could go for other ones? i feel like having this be mistaken for a contest would be weird, basically...

/(=✪ x ✪=)\