65%
No preference
3%

Total votes: 31

Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Poll and discussion. World map or hub?

Post by Dragon Fogel »

Since at some point we need to actually make some decisions, I figured it would be good to start that process.

So, a simple question. Do we give the game a world map or a hub?

Some people have also suggested doing a mix of the two, but that would require a bunch of extra work from people who know LunaLua. So I'm not eager to make that an option. This may be subject to change depending on what someone who actually knows how to do that stuff is willing to do, but for now let's just keep it one or the other.

I've set the poll to run for 60 days, I figure we'll have our recruitment drive going by then. In the meantime, feel free to give your thoughts in this thread as well as voting.
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
FFR
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: Poll and discussion. World map or hub?

Post by FFR »

I'm good with either, but I voted for world map somehow
Zygl

Post by Zygl »

A hub fits in more with the 'tradition' of MaGL X, I believe Blivsey's still on board to help out with a hub, and also you can do a lot more fun stuff with a hub anyway. You can't put talking NPCs on a map (so no fake Horikawa comments, NPCs of the level designers, or Luigi wanting to play shuffleboard for some reason, unless we put all of that in a separate area which just seems like a silly amount of effort and would also put the Horikawa comments nowhere near the levels in question), you're much more limited in terms of what you can do visually on a map (no hopping in the toilets, playing arcade machines, etc. for the levels, you only get like a top-down view sort of thing that if I'm not mistaken is even limited to 32x32 tiles?)... unless we really want a linear progression through a world map and secret exits unlocking levels we have absolutely no reason to opt for a world map, really. And even then with LunaLua we could do all that in a hub anyway with relative ease.
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

I favor a hub myself, for mostly the same reasons Zyglrox said. It really would help this thing capture more of a MAGL X style overall.

That said, paths unlocking are neat to see visually, and of course there's the fun of putting a map together. Still, if we can unlock stuff in a hub (and I'd want us to at least require boss levels to reach the next world) then it's not that big of a deal.
FFR
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by FFR »

well, if having a hub is such above in terms of neatness, why are we having a poll? just make a decision dragonbro! put your foot down, chest outwards, and say it out loud "WE'RE HAVING A HUB BECAUSE YES!" make decisions! be a leader!
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

Because if someone has a great argument for why we should use a world map, I want to hear it.

It's not a really urgent decision, since it only matters once we start organizing the actual game. (Unless Blivsey really wants to get started working on it, in which case, say so! Plus, even if you do start making a hub and we end up going with a world map, I'm sure we can do something with whatever content you put together.)

The worst case is that we get bogged down talking about it and fail to settle anything decisively, in which case it'll probably default to a hub because both project leaders favor that.
snoruntpyro
cutest girl 2023
Pronouns: she/her

Post by snoruntpyro »

I'm in favor of a hub, and on that note I'll offer to help out with the hub if you need it.
Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans
Pronouns: they/them
https://rednaxela.talkhaus.com

Post by Rednaxela »

Zyglrox Odyssey wrote:You can't put talking NPCs on a map
I will note, if we really wanted to, I could probably manage something along the lines of talking NPCs on the map using LunaLua.

I think the flexibility of a hub is preferable though personally, as long as we have someone or some people interested enough in making a good hub.

That said, if we didn't have much in the way of people interested in doing advanced hub building, I think a super simple overworld map would be stylistically slightly nicer than a super simple hub.
S1eth

Post by S1eth »

I made my level under the assumption that one could place power up blocks next to it on the hub. (since it's impossible to get all the stars without power-ups)
CapedLuigisYoshi
some sort of fangirl

Post by CapedLuigisYoshi »

I basically agree with Zyglrox's whole post.

Such an eloquent argument coming from me, I know, but they pretty much summed up everything I would be able to say about it.
*shrug*

will fix/replace the image down here eventually
Quman

Post by Quman »

Dragon Fogel wrote:Some people have also suggested doing a mix of the two, but that would require a bunch of extra work from people who know LunaLua. So I'm not eager to make that an option.
Technically, it really wouldn't. We would just need to check a box in the world editor so the player always reenters a level upon dying instead of getting kicked out onto the map. The obvious problem with this is that any player that wants to leave the level is going to have to either beat the level or quit the game, which isn't something we want to force the player to do if we can help it.
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

Yeah, S1eth specifically wanted to allow outside power-ups in his level, and that wouldn't be convenient with the setup you described.
S1eth

Post by S1eth »

Dragon Fogel wrote:Yeah, S1eth specifically wanted to allow outside power-ups in his level, and that wouldn't be convenient with the setup you described.
I could do some lua stuff to automatically start the player with a tanooki suit after they've beat the level once.

BTW, is there a way to start+select out of a level? Or just restart a level you're currently in? That would be pretty helpful for one of my stars.
It would make players a lot less frustrated if they didn't have to reload the hub, collect a power-up and then reload the level every time they fail to get the time challenge star.
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

By default, no there isn't. At least as far as I know. All you can do is quit the game mid-level without saving.
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Post by Blivsey »

Note: I'm pretty garbage with LunaLua so the hub+map idea probably wouldn't fly.
convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

Blivsey wrote:Note: I'm pretty garbage with LunaLua so the hub+map idea probably wouldn't fly.
You wouldn't have to if we were taking that approach; you'd just handle the actual design and people who know what they're doing would incorporate whatever code is going to be worked in.

That said, it's looking pretty likely we'll just go for a hub. I guess we'll find out when we start dragging more people in here.
Granix

Post by Granix »

Hub, for a reasons Zyglrox has described - it would be more in a MaglX spirit, it would allows making eventual fake comments (I don't think there's convinient way to do so in World map) and going crazy with visuals.
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

Oh, hey. The poll closed a while ago and support for a hub is pretty overwhelming.

Guess that's settled, then.