(shouting)

Soldexus: Partial Guide, with video walkthrough!

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Re: Soldexus: Complete Guide, with video walkthrough!

Post by Willhart »

Validon98 wrote:I hope the difficulty increase is not too large, otherwise... yeaaaaah.
I spoiled myself a little and I can see that his game is not for everyone now. Those looking for a challenge will get it though, and as long as the controls and the gameplay stay good, I can see them enjoying it too. Hopefully raocow does not have to end up grinding though.

Edit: It does not seem to make bosses harder, so getting stronger is still a valid strategy against them.
Last edited by Willhart 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Yeah, this feels like it's starting to turn into a rage game, rather than be Nintendo Hard.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Items missed: 3 (you got one, missed one)

I was hoping you would try the train after the boss, but oh well. Preview of enemies from the next area!

Phobo's Lawyer
Movement: Walks toward you
Actions: Parry=Deflects all attacks when he himself is not attacking
Attacks:
-Long Slash (Tell: readies sword)=A long swipe, far outreaching anything you can perform.
-Uppercut Slash (Tell: readies sword)=A round slash, it reaches up and in front of him
At half health
-Magic Eruption (tell: unsheathes sword, and then sheathes it)=Two consecutive pillars of magic erupt, and then another every two blocks. Stops at edges.
-Lightning(tell: raises hand)=A row of 4 sparks in random places high in the room, lightning then strikes downward.
-Dash Slash(tell: readies sword in a different way)=A quick dash foward
-Leap forward (no tell, instant)=Mainly used to close the gap
The Lawyer is only vulnerable just before, during, and shortly after his attacks. There are two general strategies to use, with some crossover, depending if you have Parry or not:
No parry: Stay above his head for as long as you can, using your Double Jump and Dash. When he's ready to attack, come back down behind him, unleash your Charge Slash (you should always have one ready), and maybe get in a few more normal swipes.
With Parry: The fight now becomes more of a mirror match. Relying on Parry is always risky, but with this, it's possible to attack, parry, and attack again, the quickest way to bring him down.

MWAHAHAHAHA! With the Lawyer's defeat, there is now a change in the over world, and it's going to hurt. This change can also trigger if either defense or attack reaches 10, so it's best to go into the fight with 9 and 9 in each stat.

To prevent getting cornered in the train, use the wall run to sail over your foes.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Imipolex G
very dairy
Pronouns: any

Post by Imipolex G »

To be quite honest, the "change" in the overworld is one of the few major problems I have with this game.

raocow should go back and visit the store, at least.
Xirix
The British Palindrome

Post by Xirix »

Dancing on the train alone has justified me watching this LP so far. ^^
Classtoise
First name: June
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Post by Classtoise »

Validon98 wrote:So that train section happened, along with that boss fight. But wait, you're telling me...
The game gets harder after going past 9/9 in level? What's the point of leveling then if everything scales ridiculously to match after a point that's determined literally by how many upgrades you have? That goes against the idea of a Metroidvania. Really game? Really?
I'm pretty much with Warpio on this, it's... bad. This game is bad.
Agree 100%
Rubberbanding is obnoxious in a racing game. It's absolutely absurd in a Metroidvania. Upgrades should not bring you closer to an inevitable doom.
I am so glad I'm not the only one thinking this game is bad, too.
:bi_pride: :trans_pride:
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

And so the backlash and poorly concealed Ragecow begins...

I kind of had a feeling the former would happen. :|
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

This game seems to have an issue with save room distribution like SotN and other earlier metroidvanias had. You would expect there to be a save near the other side of something like that train ride and all too often you'll find that there's quite a bit of distance between most saves only to have two saves really close together such as that one right before the second boss being really close to the next nearest one.

For something that has been recommended for four years this game is a huge disappointment. It's mediocre at best.
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Honestly, it doesn't seem that bad, just unnecessarily hard, and I think, more suited for a Twitch stream than a Youtube LP.

Game could also be suffering the same problem Mario adventure had where it was cool when it came out, but has since then aged terribly.
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

It has some neat things, like the wall-running and air-dashing (okay, the latter's more common, but it's still neat) and the more advanced attacks, but there's definitely a lot of weird design decisions.
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
Validon98
Echoing Birdsong
Pronouns: they/them

Post by Validon98 »

Alice wrote:For something that has been recommended for four years this game is a huge disappointment. It's mediocre at best.
This. Thiiiiiiiiiiis. I actually do feel bad for Sebby because he has recommended the game for so long and it's... not worth recommending for four years.
Because Touhou OCs can in fact exist, sounds fake I know.

I can't change my username but I go by Vali/Claire now (aka call me Vali or Claire at your leisure ^^).

I never update this currently playing section anymore, it's probably an RPG or something.

Strawberry Bose Partial Translations and Patches!
Ignoritus
O◡O
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Ignoritus »

I'll outright state that I would consider this a "bad game". The mechanics are strange and from what I can tell don't seem to feel fluid, the enemies often seem poorly designed, the areas feel bland and generic, it seems borderline unfair at points, and overall it just rings of "first game". Take for example the random train thrown in nonsensically for seemingly no reason beyond, "Hey, trains are cool!".

This is of course totally justified however given that this is a first game? If I was giving it a totally subjective review with no consideration to the author and his experience I would definitely consider this to be pretty dang bad. But for a true first game it's honestly pretty impressive. Does that make it good LP material? Well.... maybe maybe not. But it's a case of the author having a reasonable excuse for some of the lackluster design.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

its ok V(0u0)V

the rooms all look the same tho thats my biggest problem here.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Imipolex G
very dairy
Pronouns: any

Post by Imipolex G »

Personally I don't find it bad so much as kinda mediocre with some regrettable design decisions. It's certainly playable.

I wonder what the general consensus (if there is one) will be about the next area...
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

So, I've been reading through some reviews of this, and seeing a lot of high praise for this game, but most are years old. I'm really starting to think this is like Mario Adventure,, where it was great when it came out, but hasn't aged that well.
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

SAJewers wrote:So, I've been reading through some reviews of this, and seeing a lot of high praise for this game, but most are years old. I'm really starting to think this is like Mario Adventure,, where it was great when it came out, but hasn't aged that well.
It's a lot longer and complete than most other gamemaker games I remember. Some people did give the game a low score for repetitiveness, visual style and the difficulty back then too. I don't remember too many platformers where the enemies had such complex AIs on that engine, and on the swordplay the only comparable game is probably Assassin Blue.
Taigiry

Post by Taigiry »

The range of that boss though... I see Brawl Meta Knight has gotten himself a human body and red mask.
Cryomundus

Post by Cryomundus »

Despite having issues with sound crashing, I can tell you that once raocow gets that new upgrade (the not Parry one) the store now carries, the game will literally get a shitload easier, no joke.

I mean, you think critical strike is your go-to range attack? HAH! This thing is the ultimate in safely attacking foes.

I just hope raocow actually GETS the thing I'm talking about.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

The train is the best money grinding spot, if you survive. It's more of a bonus area, but I just wish there was a reward, other than a shortcut you don't really need. It's too bad, really.

Buying the adrenaline is a good idea for boss fights, and the train.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Cryomundus

Post by Cryomundus »

Oh, yeah, something else.

That switch after the train ride breaks the Grey Skull blocks.

Also, for the Lawyer boss, his sword slash tells are actually based on the direction of his sheath. If its horizontal, it's a long slash, if it's diagonal-up, it's an uppercut slash. If it's diagonal done, it's a short-range slash with some height.

No really, go watch the video again and keep an eye on the guys sheath.
Oddwrath
The ghost of talkhaus unlikely
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Oddwrath »

I have only 2 problems with the game so far: the environment being so bland, that it is actually possible to get lost, because everything looks the same and the music being meh.
The rest is fine though. I'm not bothered at all about this game not pushing the envelope when it comes to graphics or gameplay since, well, it's an indie game from the mid 2000s: an awesome period, when indie games synonymous with free games and weird games, instead of overpriced art pieces. I can forgive most games from that era, because they were actually made with some semblance of passion and because, for the most part, the were decent games.
While Soldexus didn't impress me at all, I am willing to forgive most of it flaws. For a first game, it's actually pretty great. For a game made in 2000s, it's ok. Which together adds up to "good".
:lesbian_pride: my avatar is from that obake game made in 2001 that you cannot play anymore unless you run it through a virtual machine and apply a locale patch
Money

Post by Money »

Oh boy a boss who can hit you from more than halfway across the room and has a bunch of attacks that barely telegraph where they'll strike and you can only hit it immediately before and after it does these already pretty difficult to handle things OH MAN GUYS THIS SURE IS SOME GOOD GAME DESIGN GOIN ON HERE
jayScribble
FEEL THE FORCE
Pronouns: it, they, that

Post by jayScribble »

Some more guidelines that's also secretly backseat gaming (yay...): using your arsenal to your fullest is one key aspect of preserving yourself and defeating enemies safely. Gaining a variety of attacks is useful for use in the future, but in this game, using those attacks have weaknesses, as well as advantages. Therefore, you must know the strengths and weaknesses of all the attacks you have.

For example:
  • The normal slash is short-ranged and just does normal damage, but it can be used rapidly in succession and can be used in the air.
  • The Charge slash is short-range and needs some time before attacking and has the largest delay between each use, but has the highest damage overall.
  • The Critical slash is a long, horizontal attacks that has a short delay after use, as well as restricting movement during the delay and can be only used on the ground, but is the second strongest attack, as well as felling enemies fast that have no hit stun, and can hit multiple enemies.
  • The newly acquired Sword wave that raocow purchased from the shop, has the longest range, no delays on use, can be used upwards as well vertically, and is launched from a normal slash, but only one wave can be on the screen every time, cannot go through enemies, no diagonal attacks, and having the weakest attack strength.
However, all attacks can go through walls and cancel projectiles, so use that knowledge to your advantage.

With that knowledge, the Sword wave is among the best attacks to use against most enemies in preservative play, since it's hitbox can also cancel most projectiles in it's path, as well as having the longest reach. It also allows aggressive play to engage enemies at longer range and allows you to close in and go for the finishing melee attacks. However, it shouldn't replace your other attacks: mix between using Sword wave, Critical slashes, and normal/Charged slashes and see what does the best against certain enemies, situations and strategies, and use that knowledge in the future.

Again, correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, the game ramped up in difficulty with all those new enemies.
Have a 3DS friend code and PM me if you added me: 1289-8788-1766
Three important threads for me:
Validon98
Echoing Birdsong
Pronouns: they/them

Post by Validon98 »

So the author had no idea what "difficulty balance" entails, I feel. First he makes it so everything will super kill you dead after the difficulty up, then gives you a ranged attack off of your sword with... literally no drawbacks. I also noticed, it seems raocow had some troubles seeing where enemies were in the lab, and I agree, those enemies were sort of really hidden unintentionally.

I wonder if that definition of the word in the description is not only explaining what the word means, but also his view of the game so far.

Also I've been confused by this all game, does the heal drops from enemies trigger randomly or what? It seems central to survival yet unreliable.
Because Touhou OCs can in fact exist, sounds fake I know.

I can't change my username but I go by Vali/Claire now (aka call me Vali or Claire at your leisure ^^).

I never update this currently playing section anymore, it's probably an RPG or something.

Strawberry Bose Partial Translations and Patches!
tirakai

Post by tirakai »

Are you supposed to be grinding for all the shop upgrades now or something? Sure enemies were pointlessly strong since the start but I can't imagine the developer genuinely thought making them even harder just because you found some upgrades was a good idea.