(shouting)

What games are you playing?

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
Zygl

Re: What games are you playing?

Post by Zygl »

pholtos wrote:
Zyglrox Odyssey wrote:
YelseyKing wrote:[stuff about Jet Force Gemini's controls sucking]
I don't recall having any such problem back when i played it, in fact I remember the game as a whole being super rad and quite possibly my favourite N64 game. I dunno what your problem with it is, maybe I'm misremembering my own experience or something actually, but yeah idk
If you played it as a kid it might be just the way your kid self remembered it, and your kid self doesn't really think about the bad in games. Try replaying it and seeing if the controls are as you remember or not.
I played it like six years ago or so actually, no nostalgia factor involved, I don't think. And sadly I don't actually have a copy of the game, this was back when I had any luck at all making N64 emulation not be butts.
...Thinking about it it could be partially the way I mapped the controls that make it not terrible for me, hard to say, really.
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Post by YelseyKing »

Zyglrox Odyssey wrote:
YelseyKing wrote:[stuff about Jet Force Gemini's controls sucking]
I don't recall having any such problem back when i played it, in fact I remember the game as a whole being super rad and quite possibly my favourite N64 game. I dunno what your problem with it is, maybe I'm misremembering my own experience or something actually, but yeah idk
Yeah, I've heard many people say they had no trouble with the controls, but... I just find them super awkward. For me, precision aiming is all but impossible; the crosshairs slide all over the place, and they *really* want to constantly go back to the middle of the screen unless I hold the d-stick at *just* such an awkward angle. While holding two other buttons at the same time, no less. So I basically have two choices: fire randomly, waste ammo, and hope I hit something, or try to line up a perfect shot, while taking 5-6 hits from the enemies who have little trouble hitting *me*. Even something that should be simple, such as shooting an item off a ledge or something, is just maddeningly frustrating. Even the movement feels awkward, as the only way to reposition the camera is to tap R and have it make an attempt to swivel around behind you, so I find it just as hard to *dodge* as I do to *hit*.

I dunno, maybe I'm just spoiled by games with much more precise aiming controls and/or lock-on mechanics, but after playing the game for a good week, I just couldn't get used to the controls. I was able to brute force it through most areas, because health items and ammo are abundant, and again, they respawn when you enter a screen, but the enemies don't. Heck, the game even seems to acknowledge this at times. The entrance to the castle in Tawfret, for instance, is loaded with enemies... but also likewise loaded with strong health items and a variety of full ammo crates. Where it all falls apart is when the game abandons its wild run-n-gun style by trying to make me either conserve health/ammo and dodge attacks (boss fights) or make precise movements/shots in a tight time limit (Floyd missions), both of which are markedly harder than the rest of the game, for all the wrong reasons.

Don't get me wrong, I *did* enjoy the game for the most part. There's a heck of a lot I like about the game, and I really don't *want* to give up on it. I just simply can't handle the awkward, loose controls anymore. That you can't remap buttons just makes it all the worse (and may be why you didn't have the same issues, if you played it on emulator, where you *could*).
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
sedron
im proud of you kid

Post by sedron »

Jesuiscontent wrote:Wings of Vi is pretty amazing

I grabbed it in the steam sales, if you like spikes everywhere platformer (it's by the creator of boshy) it's great
Actually came to this thread to talk about it, since I just picked it up, too.

It's pretty difficult. Arguably really difficult. But I'm having a lot of fun with it, despite dying constantly. It takes a lot for a game to keep me playing death after death. I'm not exactly a patient person when it comes to games.

Totally recommend picking it up while it's on sale.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Just finished Mega Man Star Force 3: Red Joker
That ending was pretty cute. Final playtime was 16:47 which is probably world record.

Still, kind of a shame it's over. The Star Force series still feels really new to me, but it's crazy the last one (this one) came out back in 2008. 7 years ago now. It was a little emotional seeing Keiji Inafune's name scroll past in the credits. If only we knew the plight Mega Man, and really most of Capcom's IP's would go through in the future.
The last real Mega Man game we got was Mega Man 10, over 5 years ago now. With all of the amazing stuff Nintendo has done with Capcom's IP's in Smash as of lately, I'd love for Nintendo to just buy Capcom more than ever. I can imagine they could do some amazing stuff. Or at the very least do something better than nothing at all.
Zha Hong Lang
"HTMI - Hyper Text Markup Interface"
First name: ZHL
Pronouns: Male

Post by Zha Hong Lang »

Played through EarthBound all the way through, again.

Kind of disappointed with how easy it is. Unless you encounter an area blind or simply have no idea what you're doing, the game has very few points where it's really challenging, save for the final cave. I mean, sure you could do things like not using certain items, but the game's pretty easy even if you don't do things like the sound stone glitch.

It's not really a bad thing, but I thought it'd have a steeper difficulty curve, given the time it was made. (I felt the same way about Chrono Trigger, too) Didn't stop me from enjoying it, though. I still loved the jokes and such, especially Tomas Jefferson.

I've also started Mother 3, since I had also played that before. (but not all the way through) I like Mother 3 more than its predecessor, though it's kind of hard to express why in a short sentence. Haven't touched the original Mother, though.
(Formerly Jayoshi)
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

IMO EarthBound is the "worst" of the three, though its still really amazing. I just feel like it has padding and such. MOTHER 1's sandbox explorey nature and lack of many dedicated dungeons, and MOTHER 3's higher focus on the story, along with a fair amount of character switching, mean that those two dont really drag at any points. EB, though.... again, still awesome, just... did anybody really like going through that pyramid?
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Window Squeegee
Hog with a Blog
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Window Squeegee »

Thanks to the steam sale, I bought Game Dev Tycoon and I'm considering buying Euro Truck Sim 2. Game Dev Tycoon is pretty fun, but there are a few things that I disagreed with. One of them being that my SNES wild-west action game only got a 4.5 out of 10. Come on, I thought a Wild Guns ripoff would sell pretty well.
Zha Hong Lang

Post by Zha Hong Lang »

Leet wrote:IMO EarthBound is the "worst" of the three, though its still really amazing. I just feel like it has padding and such. MOTHER 1's sandbox explorey nature and lack of many dedicated dungeons, and MOTHER 3's higher focus on the story, along with a fair amount of character switching, mean that those two dont really drag at any points.
Again, haven't touched the first game so can't comment, but that's also how I feel about Earthbound, in a way. It was still a lot of fun, but... it had lots of room for improvement.

I could write a whole essay of things that I felt could've been better, though I don't know if people would be THAT interested. I mean... it's a pretty hyped game, so I doubt that most would have an open ear for how EarthBound isn't perfect.
EB, though.... again, still awesome, just... did anybody really like going through that pyramid?
Yeah, that was a pretty... straightforward dungeon. At least it got its own unique music.

Also, I hope y'all are hyped for Mother 4. Seriously, it looks really awesome:

(Formerly Jayoshi)
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

I beat the Reaper (totally cheesed my method for spawning him by reloading a save but who cares) woo

now that ive done that I will finally proceed to Izanami and w i n
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

I started Lords of the Fallen.
It feels like a clunky Dark Souls so far. I haven't played much yet, but I don't know what I'm doing really. I beat the first boss, but it seemed like rolling did nothing most of the time, and blocking with your shield ate up too much stamina and then you'd just get combo'd into a hit.
Picochilla
The eternal Cuddles

Post by Picochilla »

Playing some of "Ori and the Blind Forest".

I must say: This Game is friggin awesome. It plays pretty much like a Metroidvania-Game, has incredible good graphics and awesome Soundtracks so far. A pretty much Game of the Year (and must-have) thing!
100% Approved!
Patooties are Talkhaus' best thing!
So... I just put in my Youtube-Channel
Whimsical Calamari
i am the one that sings the chorus when you hum in the shower

Post by Whimsical Calamari »

FREEDOM PLANET IS JUST AS FUN AS I THOUGHT IT WOULD BE OH MAN
ImageImage Image ImageImageImageImageImageImage
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Beat the Ice Palace and Misery Mire in LttP

Also got the Golden Sword, the Silver Arrows and the second to last Heart Piece
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Sorel
In the shadows
First name: Alexander

Post by Sorel »

I got Hammerwatch for my pals and me yesterday, it's a lot of fun, although sometimes a bit... slow.

Oh and BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger was on sale, so I got it. Jin is probably my favourite character in terms of gameplay... and maybe a bit of his psychotic personality.
Former active member, yearly lurker now.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

raocow's Shovel Knight playthrough got me to go through it again on a much more casual pace. It was also my first experience with the Vita since I chose to play it on that. Moved right on to Uncharted: Golden Abyss. Slow start so far, but that's to be expected since I'm not used to the handheld's controls yet.
Xenesis
Syogun Changer
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Xenesis »

I got splatoon.

The roller brings back fond memories of playing a Spy or Pyro in Team Fortress 2.
Zha Hong Lang

Post by Zha Hong Lang »

Just finished Mother 3. It was as awesome as I thought it would be, (though it does have very subtle limitations) but man... it's terrible when you subconsciously let something in your own life parallel with something in a game that sad. :( However! I hadn't really cried over a videogame before, so it was a good experience to have. (I also considered myself to have a bad reputation of not really caring when I watch-play something, which I didn't really notice until I watched Clannad)

I might take a while before I play the first Mother, even though that's what I plan on playing next, because I'll have to work on a few other things first.
Last edited by Zha Hong Lang 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
(Formerly Jayoshi)
Miyuron

Post by Miyuron »

Started Alan Wake again for my bajillionth playthrough, this time on Steam and with enable developer commentary. <3 that game so much. I hope Quantum Break comes out soon so I'll get to find out if Remedy will do a proper sequel. Hell, I'd be happy with any kind of continuation/adaptation of anything Alan Wake-related. More Live-Action, please. I need more Ilkka Villi in my life.
snoruntpyro
cutest girl 2023

Post by snoruntpyro »

I did it

A fantastic, well-put-together game. My favorite contestant level was probably either HOW DOES MOLES, Manic Mechanisms or Subterranean Canal.
Whimsical Calamari
i am the one that sings the chorus when you hum in the shower

Post by Whimsical Calamari »

Finally beat Final Dreadnaught as Lilac in Freedom Planet.

AND IT ONLY TOOK ME FOUR HOURS

brevon OP strife pls nerf
ImageImage Image ImageImageImageImageImageImage
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Been playing Yoshi's Island for a few days now and I 100%ed Worlds 1&2 (extra stages included)
I'm at World 3

blah
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Oddwrath
The ghost of talkhaus unlikely

Post by Oddwrath »

Been playing Dungeons of Dredmor with mods nonstop.
Having your game slow down to an hour/turn because of a stupid item is pretty bad.
:lesbian_pride: my avatar is from that obake game made in 2001 that you cannot play anymore unless you run it through a virtual machine and apply a locale patch
Xenesis
Syogun Changer
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Xenesis »

As a side thing I've been doing a DKC trilogy runthrough.

Just cleared DKC2, on to DKC3. I'll go back for 101/102/103% afterwards, I think.
Zpto
Totally not a robot

Post by Zpto »

I grabbed Hand of Fate during this sale, it's pretty good so far
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Getting more used to the controls in the Uncharted Vita game is making it easier to go through. Still managed to walk off a cliff a couple of times though. Oops. Anyway, I'm liking it. For all the silly stuff of touching the screen to do certain controls, I'm not sure that's all that more silly than jamming on a button like you would on the PS3 ones.