(shouting)

MaGL X2 Relay Level (What is a level? A miserable little pile of...)

would you like to participate in some fun contests? would you like to create some fun contests? well ^_^

What shall this glorious abomination be called?

Poll ended at 8 years ago

Life, the universe, and everything
7%
You only have yourself to blame
44%
The Way of the Torch
3%
The MAGLX Olympiad
8%
59 Screens
13%
The Relay Level
2%
A Really Long Level
5%
That which dwells outside the haus
2%
Terrestrial Schizophrenia
10%
Baby Got Serac
4%

Total votes: 97

Hoeloe
A2XT person
Pronouns: she/her

Re: MaGL X2 Relay Level (Postgame Colab Level - Loki Edition - 32% done)

Post by Hoeloe »

Ditocoaf wrote:
Hoeloe wrote:It's actually a lot easier than it looks if you just take the figure 8 route around the bottom (jump on the ? block, onto the second level, drop down on one side, rinse and repeat).
Yeah, but figuring this out will take a player at least a few deaths. I can't conceive of anyone surviving the bees the first time they see them, which makes your screen definitely the hardest so far.
True, and something I'm aware of. As I said, midpoints will be added later, and shortly before the bees is one of the most fitting spaces so far.
No Lynch
Pronouns: she

Re: MaGL X2 Relay Level (Postgame Colab Level - Loki Edition - 32% done)

Post by No Lynch »

No Lynch wrote:Okay, here's my share: (Link)
Oh yeah, should probably ping some people. (don't know how pinging works, so hopefully this works)
Kerkec wrote:.
LadySubaru wrote:.
I think it's either of your turns.
LadySuburu

Re: MaGL X2 Relay Level (Postgame Colab Level - Buzz Edition - 33.3333333% done)

Post by LadySuburu »

Thought I'd have time to do just one simple screen, but school's getting near finals and research papers are coming up now.

I'll hop back in if I can find spare time and this hasn't completed by then, but otherwise just take me off the list for now. :(
Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
Pronouns: he/him/his
https://ditocoaf.talkhaus.com/

Re: MaGL X2 Relay Level (Postgame Colab Level - Buzz Edition - 33.3333333% done)

Post by Ditocoaf »

Oh, I guess I should say this in case it helps prevent disaster later:

That coin out-of-bounds beneath my and Garlyle's screen, that coin is extremely important. Don't remove it! It can be reskinned to look diferent if someone wants to use that style of coin for something, though.
Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans
Pronouns: they/them
https://rednaxela.talkhaus.com

Post by Rednaxela »

LadySuburu wrote:Thought I'd have time to do just one simple screen, but school's getting near finals and research papers are coming up now.

I'll hop back in if I can find spare time and this hasn't completed by then, but otherwise just take me off the list for now. :(
Good luck with the finals 'n papers!
Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans

Re: MaGL X2 Relay Level (Postgame Colab Level - Eggplant Edition - 34% done)

Post by Rednaxela »

Kerkec wrote:.
noterday wrote:.
^ Pinging people who may want to go tonight (or if any others want a quick go, feel free to claim it)
RedMageMike wrote:Ugh, I'm been super busy lately. Is it possible to take either this Saturday or next Saturday somehow? If not, sometime next week is fine. But not after April 25th because I'll be leaving for a while after that.
If nobody starts tonight, and you're still up for it for this Saturday, you're up :)
noterday

Post by noterday »

i'll probably wait for the next turn cause im way too tired at this point tonight and i'll be busy for parts of the day tomorrow so i'm scared that i won't have a lot of time to work on my level.
Kerkec

Post by Kerkec »

I'm going to download the updates and stuff I need now, and if that works out I'll probably get started, and I don't think I should take too long, as I don't plan on trying anything super fancy

EDIT: wait wait wait, what exactly am I supposed to download from the lunalua site? only the update, or the full installation? and should I be on "latest", or the 0.6.1.1 beta?
🦆 RedMageSusie
Dancing with the moonlit knight

Post by RedMageSusie »

I'm up for this saturday if no one else takes it. If not, next saturday.
Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans

Post by Rednaxela »

Kerkec wrote:EDIT: wait wait wait, what exactly am I supposed to download from the lunalua site? only the update, or the full installation? and should I be on "latest", or the 0.6.1.1 beta?
"latest" is the same as "0.6.1.1 beta" right now. If you want to try updating an existing SMBX install go with only the update. If you want to just make a fresh installation, just use this link that I linked in the first page. An update is a smaller download, but a fresh install has less chance of something wrong wrong.
RedMageMike wrote:I'm up for this saturday if no one else takes it. If not, next saturday.
Cool, looks like it's going to be Kerkec tonight and you tomorrow.
Kerkec

Post by Kerkec »

Rednaxela wrote:
Kerkec wrote:EDIT: wait wait wait, what exactly am I supposed to download from the lunalua site? only the update, or the full installation? and should I be on "latest", or the 0.6.1.1 beta?
"latest" is the same as "0.6.1.1 beta" right now. If you want to try updating an existing SMBX install go with only the update. If you want to just make a fresh installation, just use this link that I linked in the first page. An update is a smaller download, but a fresh install has less chance of something wrong wrong.
alright, thanks, I seem to have everything working

but on another note, based on how the last update ended, it seems I'm starting a new section
the music being used so far is nice, is it meant to persist throughout the entire level? and if not, should there be a vote of sorts on the next section's music, or should I just do whatever and leave you all stuck with it
Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans

Post by Rednaxela »

Kerkec wrote:the music being used so far is nice, is it meant to persist throughout the entire level? and if not, should there be a vote of sorts on the next section's music, or should I just do whatever and leave you all stuck with it
It's not explicitly meant to persist throughout the level, though no reason it couldn't either if folks wanted it to. raocow put that in when he did screen #2, and I guess nobody's felt like changing it since? I kind of think the lighthearted nature of the song goes nicely with the series of (mostly) short little screens.

My current feeling, is that whoever chooses to start a new section can select new music at their discretion, or leave it as a placeholder for someone later than them to choose, or if they have multiple options in mind and can't choose can always ask what other folks here think.

Of course, music choices made by someone at the start of a section could always be overruled if there's a clear consensus about a problem with the choice... but in absence of any major issues, I see no reason to not let whoever starts a section either pick music or defer to others at their own discretion.

For more minor dislike that doesn't warrant changing of a music choice, well, the next person could make it change once the player enters their screen (either via events, Lua, or making yet another new section).

In general, just do what feels right. Kind of the motto of this whole grand experiment of a collab level in a way ;)
Kerkec

Post by Kerkec »

alright, I'll just do whatever seems right then

I agree the music is very fitting, which is part of why I'm thinking over what to do, but then there's also the fact that it's already played for a fairly long time up until this point, so I dunno if repetition would seem to become a problem or not

ah well, yeah, whatever feels right, and it can be changed later, so I should... actually get to work now
Kerkec

Post by Kerkec »

on another note, unless I messed something up by changing the starting position in the copy I made to test the level so far, it seems possible to jump on top of the vases at the

BEES

section, which seems to lead to getting stuck

but maybe that's just because I moved the starting position right to the start of that part
Kerkec

Post by Kerkec »

triple post combo

but yeah, I'm done

I don't feel like I did much with it, but hey, I kicked off a new section
I left the music unchanged, it can probably last through another one

in addition to what I said in my last post, other things I noticed:
- the masking on the footballs seemed to be a bit broken
- I don't know how it happened, but there was a single time where I somehow bypassed the character filter and remained as mario
Hoeloe
A2XT person

Post by Hoeloe »

Kerkec wrote:on another note, unless I messed something up by changing the starting position in the copy I made to test the level so far, it seems possible to jump on top of the vases at the

BEES

section, which seems to lead to getting stuck
No, that is possible to do, and needs fixing. I haven't fixed it because folks have been busy making new screens, but it's probably worth doing a cleanup session at some point, going through the level and fixing minor issues like this (I know this isn't the only one that exists).

Also, here's a word of warning to anyone who uses Lua to change music. You'll want to add this code to onLoop if we're playing music with Lua:

Code: Select all

if(player:mem(0x13E,FIELD_WORD) > 0 or winState() ~= 0) then
			MusicStopFadeOut(1);
	end
Or similar. The reason for this is that Lua music doesn't interface with the gameplay very well, and continues playing over the death and level end jingles. This bit of code just stops the music if that happens, making it behave as SMBX does.
Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans

Re: MaGL X2 Relay Level (Postgame Colab Level - Eggplant Edition - 35% done)

Post by Rednaxela »

Kerkec wrote: - I don't know how it happened, but there was a single time where I somehow bypassed the character filter and remained as mario
This is probably the Lua onEvent failing to get called, which I have a fix in place for for the next LunaDLL version. I might put up an updated devkit for this relay level using the current development build of LunaDLL some time this weekend, depending if I get enough time to finish some WIP details.
RedMageMike wrote:I'm up for this saturday if no one else takes it. If not, next saturday.
Ping :)
🦆 RedMageSusie

Post by RedMageSusie »

Just downloaded. Let's see how this goes.
FrozenQuills
hehe haha 2024

Post by FrozenQuills »

After looking around in the lua file, I'm actually pretty impressed with Hoeloe's screen and how they managed to make NPCs without replacing anything. Almost feels like they are the Carol of SMBX, hahah; there's so much potential with their libraries that I've never realized.
SMBX Tileset Compiler and Separator
The boss entry that made me eat a shoe.

5th place counter: 5
(SMBX Forums CC11, SMBX Forums CC12, Endgame Madness Contest, SMWC Kaizo Contest 2016, SMWC 24hr Contest 2018)
🦆 RedMageSusie

Post by RedMageSusie »

Didn't come up with anything good. Enjoy my dumb little screen

https://www.mediafire.com/?q8qwqjf313cf7si I hope I did that right.
lovelybchan

Re: MaGL X2 Relay Level (Postgame Colab Level - Eggplant Edition - 37% done)

Post by lovelybchan »

Would it be ok for me to go next I wonder?

If so, I should be done with it in a couple hours as I'm not planning on doing anything too fancy ._.
Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans

Post by Rednaxela »

lovelybchan wrote:Would it be ok for me to go next I wonder?
Sure, go ahead. Most of the folks next on the list have been quiet.
lovelybchan

Post by lovelybchan »

Alrighty, I will be working on it then ^o^
lovelybchan

Re: MaGL X2 Relay Level (Postgame colab level!)

Post by lovelybchan »

Aaaaaaand done! Let me know if you notice any issues that I can fix. I doubt there'll be any though, it's very simple stuff :?
https://mega.co.nz/#!gdphTYQI!3oaqIj8p9 ... YEz_79WtvE
noterday wrote:I'm signing up for this!
You're up next, if I'm not mistaken? ^-^
noterday

Re: MaGL X2 Relay Level (Postgame Colab Level - Eggplant Edition - 38% done)

Post by noterday »

Sure! I'll do it tonight.