(shouting)

MaGL X2 Relay Level (What is a level? A miserable little pile of...)

would you like to participate in some fun contests? would you like to create some fun contests? well ^_^

What shall this glorious abomination be called?

Poll ended at 8 years ago

Life, the universe, and everything
7%
You only have yourself to blame
44%
The Way of the Torch
3%
The MAGLX Olympiad
8%
59 Screens
13%
The Relay Level
2%
A Really Long Level
5%
That which dwells outside the haus
2%
Terrestrial Schizophrenia
10%
Baby Got Serac
4%

Total votes: 97

Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans
Pronouns: they/them
https://rednaxela.talkhaus.com

MaGL X2 Relay Level (What is a level? A miserable little pile of...)

Post by Rednaxela »

So, here's a thread for the MaGL X2 Relay Level Mini-Project!

The original impetus for this mini-project in the MaGL X2 Discussion Thread:
raocow wrote:spontaneously I just thought that we should all do a relay level for the maglx2 just because, except there are no thematic reasons why it would be there in the first place other than make the game (which is absurdely huge) one level (that would end up being absurdely huge) longer.
Update: Name vote is ongoing. Also version with preliminary midpoints is posted

Old notes
Update: Some testing shall commence

(Tentative) Rules (Credit to Willhart and raocow for their detailed/useful comments on this, plus everyone else who's commented in this thread since)
  • I'll set up a sign up list. People can sign up generally in which case I'll put them in the order they signed up, or they can say they want to be around a specific section (relative to the start, end, or whatever). If people want to be moved around in the ordering in the list, it can be accommodated within reason (we don't want a situation where everyone's fighting to be bumped in the same direction).
  • Everyone gets to make one screen, where one screen is 800 pixels width, also known as 25 standard blocks width (This is the default game and build-in-editor width). Just a little short piece of level that should be fun
  • There are 24 hours to complete your section once you've acknowledged that it's your turn and get level files from the last person working on it.
  • When someone finishes their section, they post a link to the updated level in this thread. Use Google Drive or Dropbox or something similar to upload it and post the link in this thread.
  • The next person on the list will be notified, and if they don't respond within 24 hours they'll get bumped down the list.
  • raocow gets dibs on the first screen after the initial power-up screen that I'll make within the next 24 hours.
  • As per Horikawa-request, no referencing your MaGL X2 contest entry in your part of your screen in the relay level.
Post-Production Happenings:
After all the screens are done (or at least almost done), there's a little more that'll be done
  • Add midpoints. Some discussion and playtesting can inform how we decide to place them.
  • Add "author" text that credits who made each screen, like in the A2XT relay level. This'll automatically appear when the player enters the screen.
  • Decide on a name! We could do this earlier if we want, or wait till the end. Whatever folks think :)
Etiquette notes:
  • Events and layers should be prefixed with your username to help things be organized
  • If you write Lua code, custom functions or global variable names should be put in an object/table named after your username, see the existing code for how this is done. For event handler code, put your code in something with your username prefixed like "function Rednaxela:onLoop()" and then call it from "function onLoop()". Use local variables when you can to keep things clean.
  • Don't hog too many custom blocks/npcs/etc. We should be using some, but keep in mind other people after you need to be able to use some too. Also feel free to use graphics swaps that have been made in screens before the one you make, as that could be a fun way to have some recurring threads in what will otherwise surely be a rather chaotic level! I may add per-section graphics to LunaDLL if we need to, but for now, it's use common sense and play it by ear, paying attention to what people have already used custom graphics for.
  • We can start new sections in the level file, but remember we can't give everyone's screen it's own section. If you want to start a section, you probably can, but we do need to pay attention to not go through them too fast.
  • The SMB axe is reserved to event triggering and will use an invisible sprite, as per Willhart's suggestion.
  • If you start a moving layer that continues into other screens, those responsible for the screens it continues into adopt responsibility for what that moving layer is does once it enters their screen. Things such as make it disappear once the player enters the next screen, stop it's movement, keep using it, or whatever.
  • In general it's probably okay to put things outside your screen into a previous screen's area, provided it's on a layer that stays hidden until a player is on your screen (i.e. starting a moving layer after the player's in your screen).
  • Common sense applies.
Devkit:
Since this will be put into the MaGL X2 postgame, we obviously need to use something compatible with that. It's also known that will end up using LunaLua 0.6.1.1 or newer (probably newer). There are two options of what you can use:
  • If you already have the MaGL X2 devkit installed, you can keep using that if you make sure to update LunaLua to 0.6.1.1 first. You can download from http://engine.wohlnet.ru/LunaLua/
  • Alternatively, you can download a full install of SMBX 1.3.0.1 w/ LunaLua 0.6.1.1 from here. You'll probably also want the editor from here too.
We may decide to switch to a newer LunaLua version midway through this colab, at which point I'll update this section of this post.
Listing of Screens:
Last edited by Rednaxela 8 years ago, edited 204 times in total.
FFR
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: MaGL X2 Relay Level (Postgame colab level!)

Post by FFR »

I'm formally signing up here
Dog In Da Grass
Woof!
First name: Dog
Pronouns: that dog

Post by Dog In Da Grass »

Me too, I'm really excited about this!
:pal: Image :pal:

TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator
First name: Rena

Post by TaviTurnip »

I have no intention of using Luna or Lua, so I will keep to the forum about it, I think. Formally signing up, either way!
I regularly stream on Twitch! with other members of the talkhaus. Come watch Monday, Tuesday and Friday at 2PM for blind playthroughs and Pokémon and Touhou and stuff. Come hang out with us!
Garlyle

Post by Garlyle »

I too am going to sign up although it sounds more like it'll be a "whenever you're available and a new section has been added etc.

Just voicing my intentions in advance.

I don't plan to LunaLua or custom sprites.
Sniggerb0bble
These arms ain't ever going down.

Post by Sniggerb0bble »

Rednaxela wrote:After that point, people can volunteer to do the next section.
I'm a bit confused by this point - how are you proposing the sign-up process works? Would we sign up and go sequentially or just kinda wave our hands in the air (in a text sense) whenever there's an available space? Personally I'd prefer the former personally, otherwise it'd mean I need to check this forum far more regularly to see if there's an open space, whereas if we go sequentially I could be notified when it was my turn and then immediately jump into action.
Learning-Timebuster
First name: Lυka
Pronouns: xe or she

Post by Learning-Timebuster »

signing up again
also
Learning-Timebuster wrote:suggestion: if we end up getting a sufficient amount of participants maybe we can incorporate some one-word story-esque thing
"i like bugs"
t
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

I'll do a thing.
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

hell yeah dibs
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Kerkec

Post by Kerkec »

I'd like to be a part of this if I can manage it
which shouldn't be difficult, but you never know
Dog In Da Grass
Woof!

I think a more formal list of entrants would be best. If they don't reply in a certain amount of time then they get bumped down the list a ways.

Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

People will probably want to use the smb axe as a trigger, so I hope it's okay if we make it invisible at the end?

I have a thing I'd like to make too. I hope it works with the section before.
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator
First name: Rena

Post by TaviTurnip »

We could always do a system like "sign me up for [screen X]" so you can plan around being there for it, or such. Like I could say "give me screen 5 please" and then I would be responsible for being on the forum for screen 5 or thereabouts, and if people don't want to do that they can request to just be given whatever if they'll check the forum enough to be good any time.

Formally requesting screen 5, hurrdurr.
I regularly stream on Twitch! with other members of the talkhaus. Come watch Monday, Tuesday and Friday at 2PM for blind playthroughs and Pokémon and Touhou and stuff. Come hang out with us!
Zygl

Post by Zygl »

I dunno how this could possibly be organised successfully without delaying the heck out of the rest of the thing but if it's happening I'll formally sign up.

e: If we end up doing the claiming particular screens thing I'd like screen 3.
7NameSam
hey

Post by 7NameSam »

I'D LIKE TO join
Sniggerb0bble
These arms ain't ever going down.

Post by Sniggerb0bble »

(Oh yeah, suppose I should also say in this thread that I want to sign up.)
🦆 RedMageSusie
Dancing with the moonlit knight

Post by RedMageSusie »

I'm down.
Isrieri
Creatively Bankrupt
Pronouns: Male

Post by Isrieri »

I'll take a swing at it!
CrispyMWHC
Arrangements in fulminating vective
Pronouns: he/him/his
http://crispymwhc.talkhaus.com/

Post by CrispyMWHC »

Oh yeah, sign me up!
raocow wrote: 4 years ago oh SHIT

THE PROCEDURES
raocow wrote: 4 years ago I can't believe my mystical wizard friend told me to touch grass.
https://www.youtube.com/user/CrispyMWHC -- I play the games for the internet.
Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans
https://rednaxela.talkhaus.com

Post by Rednaxela »

Sniggerb0bble wrote:
I'm a bit confused by this point - how are you proposing the sign-up process works? Would we sign up and go sequentially or just kinda wave our hands in the air (in a text sense) whenever there's an available space? Personally I'd prefer the former personally, otherwise it'd mean I need to check this forum far more regularly to see if there's an open space, whereas if we go sequentially I could be notified when it was my turn and then immediately jump into action.
Dog In Da Grass wrote:I think a more formal list of entrants would be best. If they don't reply in a certain amount of time then they get bumped down the list a ways.
Good points there. There's a reason I said "proposed" up in there for now.

One way to do it is if I just make a sequential signup list based on order of expressed interest, and if anyone wants to be bumped further down in the list, they can just say so at any point. Does that make sense?
RenaTurnip wrote:We could always do a system like "sign me up for [screen X]" so you can plan around being there for it, or such. Like I could say "give me screen 5 please" and then I would be responsible for being on the forum for screen 5 or thereabouts, and if people don't want to do that they can request to just be given whatever if they'll check the forum enough to be good any time.

Or... can do it like this?

Hmm.... perhaps people can sign up generally and it'll go in that order, except if there's expressed interest in a particular order? Oh my...

Later this evening I'll putting together the sign up list in whatever form it is into the top post and start preparing the initial starting area for the level.
Willhart wrote:People will probably want to use the smb axe as a trigger, so I hope it's okay if we make it invisible at the end?

Seems reasonable to me to reserve that for event triggering yeah.
Last edited by Rednaxela 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Dog In Da Grass
Woof!

Rednaxela wrote:
Sniggerb0bble wrote:
Dog In Da Grass wrote:I think a more formal list of entrants would be best. If they don't reply in a certain amount of time then they get bumped down the list a ways.
Good points there. There's a reason I said "proposed" up in there for now.

One way to do it is if I just make a sequential signup list based on order of expressed interest, and if anyone wants to be bumped further down in the list, they can just say so at any point. Does that make sense?
RenaTurnip wrote:We could always do a system like "sign me up for [screen X]" so you can plan around being there for it, or such. Like I could say "give me screen 5 please" and then I would be responsible for being on the forum for screen 5 or thereabouts, and if people don't want to do that they can request to just be given whatever if they'll check the forum enough to be good any time.

Or... can do it like this?

Hmm....

Later this evening I'll putting together the sign up list in whatever form it is into the top post and start preparing the initial starting area for the level.
Willhart wrote:People will probably want to use the smb axe as a trigger, so I hope it's okay if we make it invisible at the end?

Seems reasonable to me to reserve that for event triggering.
Sounds like a good plan! if you are doing it by proposed slots, I'd like to be around slot 13 please :3

FrozenQuills
hehe haha 2024

Post by FrozenQuills »

(I think this thread broke for me in terms of appearance)
I'd like to do a section as well. I don't really care where it is so give me screen 17 or something.
Also, is it ok to reference our contest level?
SMBX Tileset Compiler and Separator
The boss entry that made me eat a shoe.

5th place counter: 5
(SMBX Forums CC11, SMBX Forums CC12, Endgame Madness Contest, SMWC Kaizo Contest 2016, SMWC 24hr Contest 2018)
Dog In Da Grass
Woof!

FrozenQuills wrote:(I think this thread broke for me in terms of appearance)
I'd like to do a section as well. I don't really care where it is so give me screen 17 or something.
Also, is it ok to reference our contest level?
I think that was me :P I may have broke it for a second there

FusionWarrior
Super Sayian Mewtwo Genetic Freak
First name: Jon
Pronouns: Anything Goes

Post by FusionWarrior »

I'd like to be in! Somewhere around the 20-30th section? That fair?
ImageImage
raocow wrote:dragon ain't having any of my frosted flakes, that's how I feel