(shouting)

MaGL X2 Discussion - MaGL X2 Lands TOMORROW. GET. HYPE.

FusionWarrior
Super Sayian Mewtwo Genetic Freak
First name: Jon
Pronouns: Anything Goes

Re: MaGL X2 Discussion (Final-Final Count: 272 Entries + 31 Bosses!)

Post by FusionWarrior »

I'll join the relay! I'll make it easy and only use vanilla elements. It'll still keep to my level's theme!
ImageImage
raocow wrote:dragon ain't having any of my frosted flakes, that's how I feel
QuietProtag
also known as luigiman09, rip 2010-2014
First name: Félix
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by QuietProtag »

I would join that relay too. Probably gonna be vanilla for me though.
Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans
Pronouns: they/them
https://rednaxela.talkhaus.com

Post by Rednaxela »

RenaTurnip wrote:
Willhart wrote: Couple of things to remember are, that everyone should name the events and layers they use with their own name on front and someone needs to make a list of participants and make sure that multiple people are not working at the same time. Also there might be some issues with possible conflicting lua code and such.
Could always put a rule on "no Luna" or limit the amount of people allowed to use it, or something democratic. I assume many people won't even want to use it in their part, but having a limitation set from the start sounds safer unless the Lua crew really thinks it should be fine.
I don't think it's that much of an issue. Certainly no more of an issue than allocation of custom sprites is. It's just a matter of making one's code only active within a certain coordinate range of the map (which already have to be allocated properly for vanilla purposes) or for certain NPCs (which also have to be allocated properly for vanilla purposes too), and some good namespacing practices. So long as people label their Lua code with either their username in the function names and global variables, and use local variables inside functions, it shouldn't be that difficult to keep track of what pieces of code should be active when and make sure that nothing has unwanted side effects. If any assistance in making this work properly in a MaGL X2 relay level is needed, I'm happy to help.

What Horikawa said about joining an skype or IRC group also makes sense for coordinating things. If there's any problems merging things, I'm up for taking a lead role in fixing that up too.
Learning-Timebuster
First name: Luka
Pronouns: xe or she

Post by Learning-Timebuster »

id probably be able to handle one screen of somewhat competent level design so count me in i guess
"i like bugs"
t
Sniggerb0bble
These arms ain't ever going down.

Post by Sniggerb0bble »

I'd be up for joining the relay too, sounds like it should be fun~
FFR

Post by FFR »

maglx2 relay level? count me in!
No Lynch
Pronouns: she

Post by No Lynch »

If the relay ends up getting planned, I'm up for making a screen.
Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans

Post by Rednaxela »

Here's a question for the relay level creation thing: How should we set up the order of things? Random shuffle after people have signed up, or just a "who wants to go next?" followed by random draw if multiple people are up for being next? To keep things moving along, I imagine we might want some sort of time limit where of if the person who's supposed to be working on their part next isn't heard from in a certain short amount of time, they get skipped temporarily. Need to figure out the logistics of this basically.

If we want an IRC channel for the relay level creation, I've joined #maglx2_relay on irc.rena.so. Dunno how much other folks who want to be involved are IRC people, but since I idle in IRC a lot I thought I'd start it. (General discussion that everyone needs to be aware of should probably stick to the forum though since IRC is not everyone's cup of tea, with the IRC channel being for if one wants to get in touch with a subset of people involved)
Last edited by Rednaxela 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
FFR

Post by FFR »

at this point, it should be just checking interest. let this thing run around for a day, maybe make a sticky or even a video since raocow himself had the idea. the logistics could be really simple if a couple dozen people sign up, or really something if 200 peeps show interest... as for IRC, I never used it, but it can't be all that complicated right? I'm up for whatever means of communication y'all prefer
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Rednaxela wrote:Here's a question for the relay level creation thing: How should we set up the order of things? Random shuffle after people have signed up, or just a "who wants to go next?" followed by random draw if multiple people are up for being next? To keep things moving along, I imagine we might want some sort of time limit where of if the person who's supposed to be working on their part next isn't heard from in a certain short amount of time, they get skipped temporarily. Need to figure out the logistics of this basically.

If we want an IRC channel for the relay level creation, I've joined #maglx2_relay on irc.rena.so. Dunno how much other folks who want to be involved are IRC people, but since I idle in IRC a lot I thought I'd start it. (General discussion that everyone needs to be aware of should probably stick to the forum though since IRC is not everyone's cup of tea, with the IRC channel being for if one wants to get in touch with a subset of people involved)
It'd be good if the organizer made the first screen to give the player some power ups, and that raocow was fairly early so he would avoid spoilers. Some people will need time to prepare, so I'd say the second option is better, except with a list, since there will be a line of people. Making one screen should not take too long.
LadySuburu

Post by LadySuburu »

I'd join for a relay level thing.
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator
First name: Rena

Post by TaviTurnip »

Willhart wrote: It'd be good if the organizer made the first screen to give the player some power ups, and that raocow was fairly early so he would avoid spoilers. Some people will need time to prepare, so I'd say the second option is better, except with a list, since there will be a line of people. Making one screen should not take too long.
Given what we know of raocow and his storytelling and design ideas, maybe he should START the level. That might give other people ideas down the line or might be really fun for him to see and play something the rest of us built upon that he started. Maybe? :o
I regularly stream on Twitch! with other members of the talkhaus. Come watch Monday, Tuesday and Friday at 2PM for blind playthroughs and Pokémon and Touhou and stuff. Come hang out with us!
Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans

Post by Rednaxela »

Horikawa Otane wrote:Who wants to organise this thing? It won't be me.
I'm up for acting as the organizer for the relay level mini-project unless anyone else wants to or objects.
RenaTurnip wrote:
Willhart wrote: It'd be good if the organizer made the first screen to give the player some power ups, and that raocow was fairly early so he would avoid spoilers. Some people will need time to prepare, so I'd say the second option is better, except with a list, since there will be a line of people. Making one screen should not take too long.
Given what we know of raocow and his storytelling and design ideas, maybe he should START the level. That might give other people ideas down the line or might be really fun for him to see and play something the rest of us built upon that he started. Maybe? :o
Could be a nifty way to do it if raocow is interested in going that way with it.
Learning-Timebuster
First name: Luka
Pronouns: xe or she

Post by Learning-Timebuster »

suggestion: if we end up getting a sufficient amount of participants maybe we can incorporate some one-word story-esque thing
"i like bugs"
t
Dog In Da Grass
Woof!
First name: Dog
Pronouns: that dog

Post by Dog In Da Grass »

Willhart wrote: Couple of things to remember are, that everyone should name the events and layers they use with their own name on front, and someone needs to make a list of participants and make sure that multiple people are not working at the same time. Also there might be some issues with possible conflicting lua code and such.

That could be doable, we create a list of everyone that's interested and one at a time we handle trading the level back and forth between a middleperson and the next person on the list. everyone maybe does a new layer or we could find other ways of crediting them too.
:pal: Image :pal:

Hoeloe
A2XT person
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Hoeloe »

I'd be up for joining in for just one screen.

As far as managing Lua is concerned, it's actually fairly easy to merge code if we give certain rules. The way I'd do it is to ensure that variable and function names must include the username prepended (in the same way as layer names). For example, I'd use hoeloe_var for a variable.

That way, no variable or functions will conflict. As far as merging code goes, that's also relatively easy. Add the username to the start of the built in functions (so my onLoop function would be changed to hoeloe_onLoop), and called manually, in order, from a separate function for the grouped code. This would allow us to easily segment people's code. We could even automate it if we really wanted.

Also, multiple midpoints is a fairly easy thing to do, sinec there's a library for it.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

honestly I'd like to do it a2xt style, which is to say I would have... screen number 2 of section 1, haha.

So to answer some questions: a screen here is defined by the size of the screen in the vanilla editor. You would put the very edgeof what is done of the level just off of what you can see and add one screen in any direction. Of course you can't touch the other screens other than potentially add a door or a pipe if you want to start a new section, though honestly sections should probably be determined ahead of time.

I probably shouldn't organise this thing to maximise blindnessness.

The screen shoudl normally not take very long and once you 'have' your level it should be expected to be completed within 24 hours. I'd say 12 hours but I realise people have real lives and whatnot, so I'd be okay with 24. Note that in the a2xt version some screens where done under an hour, and that's usualyl pretty rad as it keeps it moving! In which case, you could request to have a level later down the ramp if you think your idea would require more time so you cna prepare, but don't try to do too much in advance since the 'purpose' of the thing is to continue what is going on beforehand. If anything, simpler is usually better (but don't let that dissuade you!)

If you want me to make a video about this or whatever, I'll let the organiser decide if it's worth it (personally I don't think so unless you want some kind of huge mammothy thing). Luckily we can use stars as makeshift midpoints (or even luna I think?) - since it's in the postgame it's like who cares honestly, and so length shouldn't be too big of a playability issue.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
FFR

Post by FFR »

...this whole relay thing, is it considered a colab or a contest? cos it feels like a colab but is part of a contest and the threads are in the contest center...
Dog In Da Grass
Woof!
First name: Dog
Pronouns: that dog

Post by Dog In Da Grass »

FFR wrote:...this whole relay thing, is it considered a colab or a contest? cos it feels like a colab but is part of a contest and the threads are in the contest center...
It's a colab for the contest!
:pal: Image :pal:

Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans

Post by Rednaxela »

Horikawa Otane wrote:Rednaxela is managing this. There will be a thread shortly.
Thread is up!
raocow wrote:If you want me to make a video about this or whatever, I'll let the organiser decide if it's worth it (personally I don't think so unless you want some kind of huge mammothy thing). Luckily we can use stars as makeshift midpoints (or even luna I think?) - since it's in the postgame it's like who cares honestly, and so length shouldn't be too big of a playability issue.
I'd tend to agree it probably doesn't make sense to do a video for this thing. I have a feeling it'll be plenty large without.
Fawriel

Post by Fawriel »

May this LP take three months to finish!
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator
First name: Rena

Post by TaviTurnip »

Oh God my dream I had about MaGL X2 spawning a bunch of group projects is actually coming to life, isn't it?
I regularly stream on Twitch! with other members of the talkhaus. Come watch Monday, Tuesday and Friday at 2PM for blind playthroughs and Pokémon and Touhou and stuff. Come hang out with us!
KingTwelveSixteen
? Title Title Title Title ?

Post by KingTwelveSixteen »

RenaTurnip wrote:Oh God my dream I had about MaGL X2 spawning a bunch of group projects is actually coming to life, isn't it?
So uh...you didn't happen to dream any, say, lottery numbers recently, did ya? <_< >_> <_<
Zygl

Post by Zygl »

RenaTurnip wrote:Oh God my dream I had about MaGL X2 spawning a bunch of group projects is actually coming to life, isn't it?
Hey guys how do you feel about sprite-swapping Mario and Luigi into Guy Samus and A Young Solid Snake for the relay level?
LadySuburu

Post by LadySuburu »

Zyglrox Odyssey wrote:
Hey guys how do you feel about sprite-swapping Mario and Luigi into Guy Samus and A Young Solid Snake for the relay level?
Anything to make someone's dream come true!