(shouting)

SMBX: SMBX Japan; Horikawa lives there!

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Re: SMBX: SMBX Japan; Horikawa lives there!

Post by SAJewers »

Rednaxela wrote:Anyone else feel like that level would have probably worked much better if the fairy mode didn't have momentum? I have that thought anyway, which leads me to think "Man, some details of the endgame of this could have sure been polished up in certain ways if they had just a small dash of LunaDLL trickery..."
A not-broken Airship piece (npc-290) would do wonders to some of these levels.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

And here I thought Dr. Kraid's account was hacked.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Garlyle

Post by Garlyle »

Man that sure was a level.

I mean in a way it's neato to do that but at the same time I kinda respond to this with "There's a point at which you probably didn't want to make an SMBX level you wanted to make an actual touhou level and there's engines out there to do exactly that a hundred times better"

y'know?
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

dr_kraid wrote:PISS IN MY ASS
I don't think this is a "post your fetish" thread.
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Mario could have shot a lot more often to make each part go faster, and make the fight more dynamic, since the boss would have been easier to hit. If each part of the fight takes like a minute, it's just too long for most people. Having more movement on the screen, would have made the level more interesting to watch too.
Isrieri
Creatively Bankrupt
Pronouns: Male

Post by Isrieri »

Dr. Kraid gets it.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Once again, an attempt to make a Touhou level in a Mario game.

To its credit, it's better than the previous one, actually giving you multiple hit points and letting you kind of attack the boss, and having more generous hitboxing!

But just as the last level, the lack of a midpoint means it's too lengthy to really make it worth doing "correctly".

Next time,

Terraria boss!

Last edited by Grounder 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

Yknow, raocow, you could have just... beaten the level in the next video. If you're feeling burnt out on a level, that's your cue to come back the next day and try again, not to go "well i guess i have to cheat gotta get through this game gotta make progress every day!"

I know that's what you would have done a few years ago
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

it's the fact that I was -this- close to beat it, got a stupid wall glitch,and then knowing that I would have to redo everything again. Like this is hard enough that tomorrow's video would 'just' be this again and I don't think people are interested enough for that.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

Yeah, this does make it more palatable as a playthrough of the game, but its also less exciting to know that you literally cannot get stuck on a level - like, it's a foregone conclusion that you're going to be progressing. Roadblocks may be painful but they also add, like, notable points to the playthrough, maybe.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Willhart
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Leet wrote:Yeah, this does make it more palatable as a playthrough of the game, but its also less exciting to know that you literally cannot get stuck on a level - like, it's a foregone conclusion that you're going to be progressing. Roadblocks may be painful but they also add, like, notable points to the playthrough, maybe.
Keep in mind that the fight took like six minutes with god mode, aka the power to shoot the boss freely. At least the normal Touhou spellcards can time out, if the player does not kill the boss in time.

Edit: Also I think he can still get stuck in games, which do not have god mode (Super Meat Boy).
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

I wonder if the LunaLUA guys would be able to fix that airship piece and make it less glitchy.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Zygl

Post by Zygl »

re: "why no midpoint?"
To my knowledge you couldn't just drop a midpoint in there and have it work, there'd be no way to make the boss start from the middle. Unless you could just put the midpoint on a separate layer and have it trigger the second half on that layer being empty, without the first half running concurrently on a restart. Aside from that you'd have to either have a super gross-looking "jump out of the car and go in this door to continue" thing or maybe you could have a separate entrance that the midpoint drops you at (It's a Wonderful Demo-style) that leads to a version of the fight that starts from the second half.
At any rate, implementing a midpoint of sorts into a fight like this is significantly easier now that LunaLua is a thing.

Also oh man Flesh Wall incoming.
SAJewers wrote:I wonder if the LunaLUA guys would be able to fix that airship piece and make it less glitchy.
It should be a fairly trivial matter to fix the glitchiness on powering up or getting hit, and I imagine it shouldn't be too challenging to fix the wall glitch either.
Horikawa Otane wrote:little do you guys know that all 31 boss levels in MaFAB are like this.
Can confirm, literally just recreated Wriggle in SMBX for my entry.
Arctangent
squawky

Post by Arctangent »

To its credit, whether intentional or not, the fact that it gave you a reliable if short-ranged way to cancel projectiles really does make it pretty interesting. A similar level with a non-glitchy method of flight and several hits of racoon tail could very well be a solid shoot 'em up level.
Miyoron

Post by Miyoron »

More than them being Touhou-y stages in a Mario hack, why the heck are these stages so long. It's like 10 minutes worth of non-fun the whole time. I know Touhous have multi card boss things but goddamn.
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

Zyglrox Odyssey wrote:re: "why no midpoint?"
It shouldn't be that hard, actually. Just put an invisible axe where you start the room, and set it to start off the first phase "on death". Then set the midpoint up so that, when its layer is empty, it hides the axe's layer and starts whatever phase happens after the midpoint. Now you won't be grabbing the axe, so the first phase and all the phases triggered as a result of getting through it don't happen, and the next phase begins as soon as you go back into the level. (You could also have a power-up that serves as the trigger for these phases, this is just the most general way of doing it that I can see.) I think you'd have to put the midpoint and axe in different places, but I'm not completely sure on that.

Obviously it's not as simple as "just stick a midpoint in there", but it's not that complex.
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
Kuupa
That's me on the beat, btw [:
First name: Alex
Pronouns: the male ones

Post by Kuupa »

I really don't blame raocow for godmode-ing this at all. Like, Super Meat Boy is hard, and it's super daunting to look at later levels, but the thing about Meat Boy is that it's exciting, fast-paced, and built in an engine that supports its own playstyle. Meat Boy levels are almost like puzzles in a way, and each level (meaning every 30 or so seconds of new content) feels super fresh and fun. These levels... it just feels like 6 straight minutes of Rinkas and Rinkas and Rinkas. For the most part, there's no "what's coming next?" like you get with good hard games (i.e. Meat Boy and real Touhou), you know that whatever is next is going to be some variation on "A bunch of Rinka generators moving in a single pattern for 2 minutes, rinse, repeat".
So here we are. Plays have been enacted. Empires have come and gone. The mightiest have passed away and withered, alike the least. Fires have burned, thousandfold. Yet, did not the great wind serenely continue its course? Does not the blackbird still sing its song? Does not the mistletoe still dwell in the oak's crown? Forgotten, what once has been told. Veiled, the words that once so rang out. Shrouded, like the larva in its cocoon. Let him hear it, who will.
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator
First name: Rena

Post by TaviTurnip »

There's nothing wrong with the gameplay and everything wrong with how long it takes. I think the two different kinds of Touhou movement (fairy and floating piece) are both super cool, and I super like how each obstacle was set up... ... but what exactly do you, as a designer, expect from a player when you give them one bullet with a long fire interval and absolutely nothing to interest them in the meantime? Like yeah, yay, you're dodging stuff, you're always involved with the obstacles, but... you have to look at the bottom line in the end. "This takes six minutes to complete while invincible and assuming you are doing damage as fast as possible the whole time." Literally just picture a human sitting there for six minutes holding the shoot button, not enjoying the monotonous gameplay. If there was a way for the player to accelerate the process, it would be way different (see: any scrolling shooter ever that powers you up as you progress) and you wouldn't have to experience literally the exact same thing each time.

That was more concise and to-the-point in my head. I need sleep z~z But gosh darn it, game, stop being a butthead. Don't turn a cool idea so sour. Difficulty is cool beans, but if it's boring, there's no point.
I regularly stream on Twitch! with other members of the talkhaus. Come watch Monday, Tuesday and Friday at 2PM for blind playthroughs and Pokémon and Touhou and stuff. Come hang out with us!
Isrieri
Creatively Bankrupt
Pronouns: Male

Post by Isrieri »

Difficult levels have a threshold.

They are, the majority of the time, challenging in reasonable ways when the elements are taken on their own and viewed individually.

However when actually playing it and all those elements come together + players doing their thing, you have to be wary for when a difficult level may cross into pain-in-the-ass territory. Once you've hit that, your level has failed at being fun and you, by extension, fail. When people complain about things being too hard they're really complaining about things getting annoying and repetitive.

The hard part about that is that the threshold is different for everyone. Depending on whom you're catering your level/game for, you want to set the bar as low as possible so there's fewer chances of the threshold getting hit.

Which is just another reason bullet hells do not belong in SMBX. I can't fathom anyone actively enjoying them when they are designed authentically. Its too hard. And to make them easier is to make them ultimately pointless.
Stink Terios

Post by Stink Terios »

Aw man, I liked the old version of the fight much better, as it was an actual MARIO fight that wasn't really unreasonable (still quit on it because I was a huge baby).
The final boss also used to be non-Touhou, while still being somewhat bullet hell.
Willhart
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Isrieri wrote:Which is just another reason bullet hells do not belong in SMBX. I can't fathom anyone actively enjoying them when they are designed authentically. Its too hard. And to make them easier is to make them ultimately pointless.
You can always try to make them short but difficult, and still give the player a little leeway. The fairy and the airship piece are too slow for that though, and the player has momentum, which makes any kind of fine control fairly difficult.
Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
Pronouns: he/him/his
https://ditocoaf.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ditocoaf »

I'm going to make a platformer game where every 6th level is from a different genre at random. Not, like, at an introductory level for that genre either, it'll be fit to the difficulty curve, so an RTS level thrown in halfway through my platformer will be as difficult as it would be halfway through an RTS game. And also all of these off-genre "levels" will be kind of clunky and rough because this is still mostly a platformer.
Oddwrath
The ghost of talkhaus unlikely

Post by Oddwrath »

I know that I'm asking for spoilers, but is this all what postgame is going to be? Because if it is, then I'm done with this series(at least until we get to some more interesting stuff). It isn't fun to watch somebody constantly struggle and eventually cheat their way through boring, repetitive danmaku.
:lesbian_pride: my avatar is from that obake game made in 2001 that you cannot play anymore unless you run it through a virtual machine and apply a locale patch
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

i was catching up to vids because i was busy w/ ff3 and all i have to say is:
anon on YT comments wrote:I didn't know this was a 'Let's Pretend to Play'
can we please ban anonymousbl00dlust from commenting

and yes all these danmaku stages are p bad sorry
i say this as a danmaku fan btw (dangun feveron and battle garegga are my jam)
dr_kraid wrote:I EAT TOUHOU FOR BREAKFAST LUNCH AND TEA. I LITERALLY CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT TOUHOU. PISS IN MY ASS
dr_kraid wrote:I PLAY THE SHOOTY GAME WITH LITTLE GIRLS. EVERYTHING I'VE EVER DONE IS THE SHOOTY GAME WITH LITTLE GIRLS. I GOT AN F ON MY ENGLISH ESSAY BECAUSE I TURNED IN THE SHOOTY GAME WITH LITTLE GIRLS. FUCKING BULLSHIT
you need to post more
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Oddwrath wrote:I know that I'm asking for spoilers, but is this all what postgame is going to be? Because if it is, then I'm done with this series(at least until we get to some more interesting stuff). It isn't fun to watch somebody constantly struggle and eventually cheat their way through boring, repetitive danmaku.
There's another Klown Kopter stage, another "oh man get to the top of the stage as a fairy" segment in one level, and there's one last danmaku at the end, but the majority of it is platforming from here on out.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage