(shouting)

What was your favorite part of the original SMW?

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
randoguy101
spicey tomato
Pronouns: he/him/his

What was your favorite part of the original SMW?

Post by randoguy101 »

Basically, what level or part of level did you enjoy the most?

My favorite part would have to be getting a yellow Yoshi, going to Star World 4, eating a blue shell, and then just going around stomping everything stompable.
- randoguy101
Chernobog

Re: What was your favorite part of the original SMW?

Post by Chernobog »

Probably the Special World in general. I remember the first time I found it, and I thought it was like the coolest thing ever. I loved the music on the mapscreen, and the level names, and the levels were like the only somewhat difficult ones. But there's one level in particular, towards the end of the world, that I really liked. But I can't remember which one...I haven't played SMW in so long...
and the first time I saw all of the pallet switches I remember being like "WTF JUST HAPPENED?!" and I know a lot of people hate them but I actually kinda like them.
Argumentable
the biggest shit
https://argu.talkhaus.com/

Post by Argumentable »

I loved the shit out of that level where the water rises and sinks. Though as a child I was lucky if I could make it by the hammer brother at the start of it
I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw
metaking

Post by metaking »

Tubular.
Hell that was hard and fun!
HarmfulGravemind
First name: Steve

Post by HarmfulGravemind »

My favorite part, wow thats somewhat difficult.
The Piranha-plant to pumkin swap was one of my favorite.
Then the Special World all together was really amazing, expect for the level with the baloon mario thing... I hated (and still hate) that one.
And Bowser, even if he is like the easiest boss ever (after you have beaten him two or three times), the first time I saw him, I was like, wtf :shock: amazing
vifs

Post by vifs »

when i played that as a kid i thought yoshi was awesome, and im like, sweet im riding a dinosure now im like, oh man, yoshi kind of sucks
Image Image Image Image

http://www.youtube.com/user/vifs

<+Jcranjel> Today, I was sitting in Panera Bread, when they called out "Optimus Prime your bagel is ready." Casually a boy who looks about 7 walks up and takes it. He is my hero.MLIA
FRK

Post by FRK »

Secret Forest Level was pretty fun, as well as Donut Plains 1 and most of the Ghost Houses. I don't have my very favorite level, but I hated Tubular.

Jesus Christ freaking balloon!
metaking

Post by metaking »

FRK wrote:I hated Tubular.

Jesus Christ freaking balloon!
I think i'm the only one who find tubular easy and fun...
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

Beating and not having to do tubular.
It was kinda fun, but it got kind really hard after a few tries.
What sort of murderer uses a Samurai Slap?
Agent J

Post by Agent J »

Everything about that game.
Real

Post by Real »

User was warned for this post.
whee you kick buttock of villani
B)
vifs

Post by vifs »

I also like how if your good at flying you can kind of make it over any stage.
Image Image Image Image

http://www.youtube.com/user/vifs

<+Jcranjel> Today, I was sitting in Panera Bread, when they called out "Optimus Prime your bagel is ready." Casually a boy who looks about 7 walks up and takes it. He is my hero.MLIA
supercharizard64

Post by supercharizard64 »

randoguy101 wrote:
My favorite part would have to be getting a yellow Yoshi, going to Star World 4, eating a blue shell, and then just going around stomping everything stompable.
Cool story.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Just the upgrade in colors for me. It was like... Whoa, man! That's awesome. Gameplay wise, it would definitely be Yoshi. I still think that dino's cool to this day. Also, I loved the Ludwig fight back then just because he was different from all the other Koopa Kids.
Daarkbuu
Legendary Ammonite Princess
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Daarkbuu »

I really liked the entirety of chocolate Island for some reason. Not to sure why though.
Kristian

Post by Kristian »

That really short Star World level was pretty cool, and I basically liked most 'outside' levels.
<SNN> WHO DARES
<Kristian> TO TRY TO STOP THE TIME BOMB?!
Dergym

Post by Dergym »

Accomplishing going through the entire Tubular stage w/o P-Ballooning-it-up. The trick is to keep the Blue P-Switch with you as you do some Charlie/Turtle hopping (if you're lucky, you can sneak in between the Lotus Plants w/o losing a Feather (highly recommended you are tarred- well, not tarred, but certainly Feathered, as well as having another one in reserve)). Take care of the Piranha Plant coming out of the pipe, then activate the P-Switch. You'll need to jump off of the football that the second Charlie dude punts in your general vicinity to get enough altitude to hop onto his head. From there, you should have a solid platform of coins-turned-to-used-blocks to land on, and then it's just a matter of floating the remainder of the way to the goal.

It's more challenging to do it with the stupid, green horse, but still possible as long as you can somehow get him to spit out the switch on top of the pipe first.
Zygl

Re: What is your favourite part of the original SMW?

Post by Zygl »

That they named a boss after Nine Inch Nails.
metasomnia?
butts

Post by metasomnia? »

The bobblehead koopas

Edit: As far as stages go, I always liked Bowser's Castle the most
Last edited by metasomnia? 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

metaking wrote:Tubular.
Hell that was hard and fun!
That level was literally the only one that got me stuck when I was little. Now I have little to no issues with it but I just could NOT do it at the time!

As for my favorite part... I don't know, the early game stuff kinda hits the nostalgia spot for me. I remember loving the first Donut Plains level because it introduced the cape. I also remember going to my friend's house and he had figured out how to get the green switch palace, and it blew my mind! It's kinda weird, I'm thinking back to all that time I spent playing SMW with friends and showing each other secrets we found and whatnot, and the whole game just felt huge and "magical," like anything could just happen.
I don't feel that about games any more.

edit: I just noticed this was a thread from 2009 and I quoted someone from then
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

the yoshies and the cape were cool
world 4 (the whole "you have two routes, both leading to ludwig, pick your poison" aspect) and the special world were pretty neat too
vanilla smw's bosses are pretty awesome too tbh, quite the step up from smb3's

the lack of difficulty and the somewhat less memorable levels in smw are what makes me prefer mario 3 though
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Argumentable
the biggest shit
https://argu.talkhaus.com/

Post by Argumentable »

Butter Bridge 2 is my favorite level
I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

Finding an obscure secret exit for the first time made me so happy back then. Star World 5 (mostly because I was amazed by realizing special world existed), soda lake, or chocolate island 2 come to mind

Not sure what my actual favorite level would be? I always liked that one Choco Island level with the bones and moles everywhere, with that bonus sublevel where you hit a P-switch, then fall through 10 floors and have a different prize depending on the floor you land on. Chocolate Island 5 maybe?

I hated Star World 1 because the one million yellow turn blocks always made my old cathodic TV go BZZZZZZZT for some reason? I think because there was too much bright yellow, idk how this old shit worked

Also @koba, I have the reverse mindset for mario 3 and smw actually, like who the fuck remembers what the one million levels in ice world were like

Sturg
Gets his freak on with VGM
First name: sturgyman

Post by Sturg »

The jungle gym of blocks in Vanilla Dome 1 was the place where I usually screwed around for way too long until I ran out of time.

Vanilla Dome 2 was also pretty fun.
ImageImage
Image ImageImage
RIP FISH NIPPLE BANNER
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

Jesuiscontent wrote: I hated Star World 1 because the one million yellow turn blocks always made my old cathodic TV go BZZZZZZZT for some reason? I think because there was too much bright yellow, idk how this old shit worked
Might have been all the particles on the screen; spooks the heck out of your SNES.
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)