(shouting)

MaGL X2 Discussion - MaGL X2 Lands TOMORROW. GET. HYPE.

Learning-Timebuster
First name: Luka
Pronouns: xe or she

Re: MaGL X2 Discussion (Final-Final Count: 271 Entries!)

Post by Learning-Timebuster »

Main game: Mission - Proud Sky

Postgame: The Plot
"i like bugs"
t
GalaxyOfJ
The Mysterious Stranger Except Incompetent

Post by GalaxyOfJ »

The only levels I actively remember and like off the top of my head for MaGL X The First One are..

It's a SMB1 Level, Except Way Nicer
and
Mission: Proud Sky
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

The only levels I even remember other than my own are Iso's, that one Touhou themed one (I think it might have been the Scarlet Devil Mansion one people have mentioned), and that one super long water themed one. I can't remember the names of any of them though but those are the ones that stood out enough to me for me to at least remember them at all.
Minus
Always edits posts

Post by Minus »

Link's Depressing Circus, Valhalla Night (ignoring the second star debacle), Fortress of Trains, and Fish House were really cool.

Also Proud Sky and the entire thirty minute boss contest were hilarious.
Dog In Da Grass
Woof!
First name: Dog
Pronouns: that dog

Post by Dog In Da Grass »

too many good levels to think of, biased to say Proud Yoshi In The Castle Ruins! but there were so many good ones I cant remember the names of, I'm re-watching the Lp now!

Also P.S. is there going to be a "I received your level list" for the MAFABulous contest? I'm curious as to how many people entered the contest, is it alright to talk about the gimmick now that the contest is over or would that be too many spoilers?
:pal: Image :pal:

Wolfolotl
cryptid
First name: ovid
Pronouns: xe/xem/xyr

Post by Wolfolotl »

my favorite level from the first MaGL X was, in all honesty, Dudes
it's just too happy to pass up
:nb_pride:
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Wolfolotl wrote:my favorite level from the first MaGL X was, in all honesty, Dudes
it's just too happy to pass up
"It's a SMB1 Level, Except Way Nicer" was very happy too, although very short.

For some reason I remember the "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world" since it was very ambitious. I also liked the "Swimming in the Sinking Ocean" since it was very long and pretty. It did have some issues with the length. Shaken not Stirred had a fun idea, and that one level that sunk sideways into lava + that one extreme level with a huge Bowser boss fight come to mind too.
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator
First name: Rena

Post by TaviTurnip »

Oh man, the big Bowser fight was so epic, that was such a great level and I am ashamed to have forgotten about it.
I regularly stream on Twitch! with other members of the talkhaus. Come watch Monday, Tuesday and Friday at 2PM for blind playthroughs and Pokémon and Touhou and stuff. Come hang out with us!
snoruntpyro
cutest girl 2023
Pronouns: she/her

Post by snoruntpyro »

I don't exactly know how this works, is the whole package released at a certain time for everyone or does raocow get it first and it's released to the public later?
cheez8
Food Nut

Post by cheez8 »

My favorite main game level was Suddenly and Inadvertently Climb. I love it when stages really flesh out ideas without being in your face about it, and the moving platform/vertical wraparound combo did just that. (Ocean Fish House, Fortress of Trains, and Shaken Not Stirred were standout levels too, and honorable mention goes to I Hear in Dracula's Castle they Dance with their Fishes for sheer level name adherence.)

I don't remember how the postgame went though.

Also, it's the latter, Pyro.
I don't really get it but okay
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

RenaTurnip wrote:Main game: Dreamland's River of the Damned (pretty close runner up being Shaken Not Stirred)

^ This level freaked me out :1 But in a really good way. The construction was amazing, and the story and atmosphere were really great xD It's probably the first level I think of when I think of MaGL X ever, more or less. Also Zbambibar, man >:/
I'm flattered.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

man I dunno, horikawa IS it kosher now to speak with more detail about mafab?
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Penguinator44
Long time listener, first time caller

Post by Penguinator44 »

I've been rewatching raocow play through last years MaGL X (still another 50 or so levels + post game to go) and man there were some good and/or memorable levels throughout the whole thing

Horikawa asks a question here about which levels we liked from last year and a bunch of the ones already mentioned weren't even in the top 50 or even in the top half of the rankings
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator

Post by TaviTurnip »

At first the gimmick made me Image

And then I quickly became

Yes this is how I choose to express myself.
I regularly stream on Twitch! with other members of the talkhaus. Come watch Monday, Tuesday and Friday at 2PM for blind playthroughs and Pokémon and Touhou and stuff. Come hang out with us!
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

alright, the jig is up then!

feel free to discuss the gimmick and what you didn,t choose to take re: mafab!

in fact I would love some feedback on the gimmick - it was purposefully chosen to be difficult but as it is with everything I conceive, I'm always worried I'm going to far.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

Oh hey we can talk about it? Cooleo.

So the gimmick was basically we were given a magic hand, then had to use those cards somehow in a boss.

I ended up using all my cards except one, because I couldn't figure out any way to incorporate it. That card was this one:
I thought it was a pretty unique gimmick, and I actually enjoyed it quite a lot! In fact, it was quite magical.
Last edited by pholtos 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator

Post by TaviTurnip »

raocow wrote:alright, the jig is up then!

in fact I would love some feedback on the gimmick - it was purposefully chosen to be difficult but as it is with everything I conceive, I'm always worried I'm going to far.
If my previous post is not good enough indication, I thought the gimmick was genius. Also complete insanity. But it's the kind of thing that makes you look at the hand you were dealt (literally) and wait sixty seconds to see if MacGyver in your heart sees a solution. In a way, it's very much like MaGL X giving you wacky names, but in this case everyone in MAFAB took the Hard difficulty. I really like the idea, and I have to wonder how wide/how many expansions/such the range of options went. I feel like I got a really tame selection compared to what could have been.

As for what I didn't choose to use, was something I looked at, but would make a way more neat idea for a level to play/explore and definitely not a boss. Maybe an autoscrolling boss? I might have done that, but I didn't want to do anything autoscrolling in case it was deemed "too much like a level" instead of a boss and thus not qualified.
FrozenQuills
hehe haha 2024

Post by FrozenQuills »

Oh cool we can talk about MAFAB.

So I tried to use all of my cards, although I think quite a few of them were a big stretch in the implementation. But yeah this was a super neat gimmick even though it was kinda difficult!
SMBX Tileset Compiler and Separator
The boss entry that made me eat a shoe.

5th place counter: 5
(SMBX Forums CC11, SMBX Forums CC12, Endgame Madness Contest, SMWC Kaizo Contest 2016, SMWC 24hr Contest 2018)
Mystick
Pronouns: he/him/his!

Post by Mystick »

My favorite level definitely was 'Too Many Toads'.
And the Mushroom Kingdom's Bluest Pipe, maybe...!?

And Sturg's level also maybe...!?

MAFAB's gimmick could be confusing if you didn't know wth to do with the cards, but the cards themselves are vague enough that it is actually much less limiting than MaGL X's gimmick. So, hooray! I guess.
Yo'
sedron
im proud of you kid

Post by sedron »

The gimmick was really cool, I just wish I had more time to work with it.

When I first saw it, I was really excited. There were a lot of cool cards in my hand that I didn't even use (Wrath of God would probably have been the best one I didn't make use of.) I only used one card in the end, though, as I realized there wouldn't be enough time to really utilize what I was given when factoring in real-life stuff.

The cards I didn't use were Wrath of God, Decree of Justice, Wickerbough Elder, Anathemancer, Golgari Guildmage and Sky Spirit.

Sky Spirit made me want to make a level based around Rebecca Guay's artwork, but there's no way I could make that look good within the given timeframe. Wrath of God led me in the direction of a fight with a god, but again, I wouldn't have enough time to make everything work (I wanted to find a way to kill every enemy simultaneously to get a board sweeper effect, and I was also thinking of making Heliod (the White-aligned god from Theros,) the boss you fight since he's on the FTV: Annihilation artwork.) The other cards didn't really grab me as well, though I liked Wickerbough Elder because he wears a scarecrow as a hat.

My end result kind of stretched the definition of "boss," but details. =P

Also this contest really makes me wish there were more people here that are into MtG.
KingTwelveSixteen
? Title Title Title Title ?

Post by KingTwelveSixteen »

I thought the gimmick was awesome. So much fun!

I tried to use all of my first four cards, though I only really succeeded with two of them I think...

My unused ones were:
Slippery Karst
First Come, First Serve
Time Stop
Hoeloe
A2XT person
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Hoeloe »

KingTwelveSixteen wrote: Time Stop
I would have been so happy to get this card (I didn't enter because I was too busy over those few days). You can do all sorts of fun things with this as a concept :D
Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
Pronouns: he/him/his
https://ditocoaf.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ditocoaf »

OH MAN that is an amazing gimmick. Now I wish I'd signed up for MAFAB just for the metal exercise.
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

I used all my cards, and I don't think any of them were a major stretch. There was definitely some wordplay involved, though. One of them might be a bit subtle in its use, but that was kind of inevitable given what the card was. Another I used as both a subtle pun and also pretty straightforwardly.
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
Zygl

Post by Zygl »

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
As a Non-Creative, I was rather thoroughly stumped. I did have some ideas for Rise/Fall (which I'm presuming exists purely by accident, being two cards like that) but they were kinda way too obvious, I felt (i.e. literally stuff rising and falling, like moving layers or something most likely).

As for how I felt about the gimmick... ehhh? It was alright, but I kinda felt I wasn't 'in on the joke' really. Also in hindsight rerolling my hand would've been nice, rather than using one card to make an absolute trainwreck of a boss with only a tenuous connection to the card, even.