(shouting)

MaGL X2 Discussion - MaGL X2 Lands TOMORROW. GET. HYPE.

KingTwelveSixteen
? Title Title Title Title ?

Re: MaGL X2 Discussion (Final-Final Count: 271 Entries!)

Post by KingTwelveSixteen »

No Lynch wrote:I completed my MAFAB entry.

I'm not TOO proud of it, considering how much I had to change from my original on-paper plan, but I consider working the key concept I had to a state of "functional" to be enough of a point of pride.
This is basically how I feel about my entry.

I was looking forwards to attacking the player with horrible invincible shadow-monsters as the entire stage darkened too. :(
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

Horikawa Otane wrote:Oi.

I feel like there's a point where 'precise' becomes 'finnicky' and that point is about 45 minutes for me.
Uh oh. I sense impending doom approaching.
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator
First name: Rena

Post by TaviTurnip »

No Lynch wrote:I completed my MAFAB entry.

I'm not TOO proud of it, considering how much I had to change from my original on-paper plan, but I consider working the key concept I had to a state of "functional" to be enough of a point of pride.
This!

I lost a couple things I wanted on paper, and had to compromise at least two things I really felt were important... but the final result is basically very balanced and I can't complain. I can only hope <3
I regularly stream on Twitch! with other members of the talkhaus. Come watch Monday, Tuesday and Friday at 2PM for blind playthroughs and Pokémon and Touhou and stuff. Come hang out with us!
FFR
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by FFR »

Horikawa Otane wrote:Oi.

I feel like there's a point where 'precise' becomes 'finnicky' and that point is about 45 minutes for me.
I hope it's not my level >_< *praying*
Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
https://ditocoaf.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ditocoaf »

Okay, since this tournament got me into smbx, I have a question:

Where do I get started learning about LunaDLL? Forget LunaLua entirely at first, and pretend this is five months ago.

Let's say I have a fresh copy of smbx 1.3.0.1 and want to turn it into something where I can work with LunaDLL: where do I go, what do I download, and where do I look to see if I have the latest version? Is there some central place to look for LunaDLL stuff, like a thread or a web page, or is everything only spread by word of mouth and collab/contest stuff?

I know how to program, but after I figure out how to get LunaDLL installed (without taking the shortcut of a developer pack) I need to learn how to make code that interacts with a smbx level; learn how any of that works. Is there a tutorial somewhere? The "LunaDLL help thread" (which is apparently a A2XT thread and not a general thing) is full of broken links.

I know it sounds like I'm making things unnecessarily hard on myself by not just downloading a developer pack, but I want to actually understand how this stuff works, and that means taking a look at each of the constituent parts and learning them individually first.
Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans
Pronouns: they/them
https://rednaxela.talkhaus.com

Post by Rednaxela »

Ditocoaf wrote:Let's say I have a fresh copy of smbx 1.3.0.1 and want to turn it into something where I can work with LunaDLL: where do I go, what do I download, and where do I look to see if I have the latest version? Is there some central place to look for LunaDLL stuff, like a thread or a web page, or is everything only spread by word of mouth and collab/contest stuff?
Okay so...

1. You need a modified version of the smbx.exe that's been manually edited such that it knows to load LunaDLL. I don't know any source for this outside the dev kits nor do I know instructions for performing this editing of the smbx.exe file.
2. You need to download a current version of LunaDLL (Main thread where the current up-to-date versions to download would be this one right now. Yes, you may not care about LunaLua which the thread title is, but that's where the up-to-date LunaDLL builds lately from the source code repository are regardless), or build it yourself from source
3. If you're using a LunaDLL version with the SDL sound engine, you need to convert your music and sound folders to .ogg format and put in the default sounds.ini/music.ini files.
Ditocoaf wrote:I know how to program, but after I figure out how to get LunaDLL installed (without taking the shortcut of a developer pack) I need to learn how to make code that interacts with a smbx level; learn how any of that works. Is there a tutorial somewhere? The "LunaDLL help thread" (which is apparently a A2XT thread and not a general thing) is full of broken links.
Best source I know currently is this wiki which has both LunaDLL Autocode and LunaLua information.
Ditocoaf

Post by Ditocoaf »

Rednaxela wrote:
Ditocoaf wrote:Let's say I have a fresh copy of smbx 1.3.0.1 and want to turn it into something where I can work with LunaDLL: where do I go, what do I download, and where do I look to see if I have the latest version? Is there some central place to look for LunaDLL stuff, like a thread or a web page, or is everything only spread by word of mouth and collab/contest stuff?
Okay so...

1. You need a modified version of the smbx.exe that's been manually edited such that it knows to load LunaDLL. I don't know any source for this outside the dev kits nor do I know instructions for performing this editing of the smbx.exe file.
Huh. So there really is no central source for LunaDLL stuff, you just have to be kind of in-tune with the latest collabs?

I guess I was reluctant to go with a devkit because my impression was that collab devkits tended to include a bunch of stuff specific to that collab (graphics, sounds, special code even maybe?), and separating out the "general" stuff from the collab-specific stuff would be kind of a pain if you cared to do it, and it might even affect my episode's compatibility with other people's copies of smbx.
2. You need to download a current version of LunaDLL (Main thread where the current up-to-date versions to download would be this one right now. Yes, you may not care about LunaLua which the thread title is, but that's where the up-to-date LunaDLL builds lately from the source code repository are regardless), or build it yourself from source
Huh, I see. I'd looked at that thread before, but my interpretation of that first post was that LunaLua was something extra you downloaded after you already had LunaDLL installed, and that Kevsoft was assuming everyone reading it already had LunaDLL.
3. If you're using a LunaDLL version with the SDL sound engine, you need to convert your music and sound folders to .ogg format and put in the default sounds.ini/music.ini files.
Oof, okay. I'm beginning to see why everyone just grabs a devkit and runs with that. But episodes built using one devkit aren't always compatible with people running smbx from another devkit, are they? This all feels weirdly messy to me.

I feel like most people who work with LunaDLL have been doing so for a long time now, and they've been keeping up with updates by word-of-mouth and stuff introduced for collaborations, but now the entry point for new users who want to work on a solo project is virtually nonexistent.
Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans
Pronouns: they/them
https://rednaxela.talkhaus.com

Post by Rednaxela »

Ditocoaf wrote:
Rednaxela wrote:1. You need a modified version of the smbx.exe that's been manually edited such that it knows to load LunaDLL. I don't know any source for this outside the dev kits nor do I know instructions for performing this editing of the smbx.exe file.
Huh. So there really is no central source for LunaDLL stuff, you just have to be kind of in-tune with the latest collabs?

I guess I was reluctant to go with a devkit because my impression was that collab devkits tended to include a bunch of stuff specific to that collab (graphics, sounds, special code even maybe?), and separating out the "general" stuff from the collab-specific stuff would be kind of a pain if you cared to do it, and it might even affect my episode's compatibility with other people's copies of smbx.
Well, there is this forum section on wohlnet.ru that's more specifically focused on LunaDLL. So far as I can tell it's not as active for LunaDLL content as the Talkhaus threads lately though. It does have some more detail on the modified smbx.exe though, so maybe make note of that.
Ditocoaf wrote:
Huh, I see. I'd looked at that thread before, but my interpretation of that first post was that LunaLua was something extra you downloaded after you already had LunaDLL installed, and that Kevsoft was assuming everyone reading it already had LunaDLL.
Nope. LunaLua is just a new part of the current versions of LunaDLL at this point.
Ditocoaf wrote:
Oof, okay. I'm beginning to see why everyone just grabs a devkit and runs with that. But episodes built using one devkit aren't always compatible with people running smbx from another devkit, are they? This all feels weirdly messy to me.
It is a bit messy. Main reason episodes built with one devkit may not be compatible with smbx from another devkit would be 1) if a devkit changed default graphics/sounds/music, or 2) One uses a newer LunaDLL version than another, and levels relied on things in the newer version. (For the most part, so far as I've seen in my limited time, newer LunaDLL versions run stuff built for older versions just fine, but there can be exceptions)
Ditocoaf wrote:I feel like most people who work with LunaDLL have been doing so for a long time now, and they've been keeping up with updates by word-of-mouth and stuff introduced for collaborations, but now the entry point for new users who want to work on a solo project is virtually nonexistent.
From my perspective, I just started using LunaDLL at the start of MaGL X2, and it was mostly a matter of just reading a few Talkhaus threads and then doing some deeper digging on my own by trial and error. I didn't find there to be that much catching up with past updates to worry about, though certainly the information is not as well organized as it could be.
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

Horikawa Otane wrote:
Ningamer wrote:I am that dude. So when should judging be done?
tomorrow at 3pm america time
??? do you mean the boss contest, because that would be damn quick for all 271 MAGLX2 levels
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
Ditocoaf

Post by Ditocoaf »

Rednaxela wrote:It is a bit messy. Main reason episodes built with one devkit may not be compatible with smbx from another devkit would be 1) if a devkit changed default graphics/sounds/music, or 2) One uses a newer LunaDLL version than another, and levels relied on things in the newer version. (For the most part, so far as I've seen in my limited time, newer LunaDLL versions run stuff built for older versions just fine, but there can be exceptions).
Okay. So it sounds like if I start with the Maglx2 devkit (which I downloaded before Horikawa had to mysteriously take it offline), I should be fine because that doesn't have any custom graphics or sound I think. Then I'd just need to update LunaDLL from the LunaLua thread* and read some tutorials from this wiki and I should be good to go. And maybe update the Wohl editor, too?

*I'm pretty sure I heard that the LunaDLL version included with the Maglx2 devkit (0.5.3.1) isn't the latest, but the LunaLua thread doesn't mention what the latest version number is in its OP, so I guess I just need to download it and see if that number goes up.

So I guess there are only two components I need to update separately (LunaDLL and Woh'ls editor), which is a relief, for a while there it was feeling like standard SMBX was made up of a half-dozen different modules all updated disparately and branching unpredictably.

Thanks a ton, Rednaxela. I know I'm still kinda passive-aggressively complaining as I work this out, but I actually feel like I have a much better grasp of the scope of this stuff than I did before.
Last edited by Ditocoaf 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

Ivy wrote:
Horikawa Otane wrote:tomorrow at 3pm america time
??? do you mean the boss contest, because that would be damn quick for all 271 MAGLX2 levels
It's just a hunch, but I think she might be joking.
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
Lejes
https://lejes.talkhaus.com/

Post by Lejes »

Lejes wrote:Haven't started my MAFAB entry. Exceedingly unlikely to finish it.
And I actually finished it. It could have been much more if I had started on it a day earlier. It works exactly according to how I imagined it, though. The framework is all there, and it would just need more attacks to really be special. It's too bad you can't just create new NPCs in SMBX. The whole replacement thing is poop.
Minus
Always edits posts

Post by Minus »

Lejes wrote:
Lejes wrote:Haven't started my MAFAB entry. Exceedingly unlikely to finish it.
And I actually finished it. It could have been much more if I had started on it a day earlier. It works exactly according to how I imagined it, though. The framework is all there, and it would just need more attacks to really be special. It's too bad you can't just create new NPCs in SMBX. The whole replacement thing is poop.
I feel you. I'd heard about the contest the day after it was announced, so the latter half of yesterday and today (yesterday?) were preeeetty intense trying to get things to work right, especially with the workarounds (NPC replacement, layer/event witchcraft) you need to do in order to make fancy stuff happen in SMBX.

Turned it in a couple of hours ago, and overall I feel... eh. I kinda wish I'd heard about it that day ahead to do more fine-tuning and tweaking, as even as it is, some parts of the boss still just don't feel right. On the other hand though, I'm still pretty happy with the work I managed given the harsh deadline, and I'm still really excited to see what other folks put together for both MAFAB and MAGL X2, especially with the neat stuff that people had last year.
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

Main Game: The Skies Over Scarlet Devil Mansion by Isocitration
Post Game: (I will have to think about this one.)
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

raocow's from last year was probably the most memorable. the lil' squiddies left an odd impression in my brain.
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
LadySuburu

Post by LadySuburu »

Post-game: The MaglX level. I thought that was really neat.
KingTwelveSixteen
? Title Title Title Title ?

Post by KingTwelveSixteen »

Horikawa Otane wrote:What were your favourite levels out of MaGL X last year, actually?

Both main game and post-game.
Bowsers oldest fortress, Mission: Proud Sky, and the "Oh no, not Birdo!" boss fight rush thing in the post-game.

Those are the ones that spring to mind most readily at least.
CrispyMWHC
Arrangements in fulminating vective
http://crispymwhc.talkhaus.com/

Post by CrispyMWHC »

I don't remember the name offhand, but there was a Link level with an elevator? That one was cool.
raocow wrote: 3 years ago oh SHIT

THE PROCEDURES
raocow wrote: 3 years ago I can't believe my mystical wizard friend told me to touch grass.
https://www.youtube.com/user/CrispyMWHC -- I play the games for the internet.
Garlyle

Post by Garlyle »

Oh man off the top of my head with a hand from ZyglroxOdyssey's speedruns to quick review the levels
Mission: Proud Sky
Toad House
Bowser's Oldest Fortress
Mission: Delightful Graveyard
I hate Assassinating when it's so Pleasant Out Like This
Swiftly and Abruptly Advance
The Skies Over Scarlet Devil Mansion
It's a SMB1 Level, Except Way Nicer
No Forests!
River Volcano
Descent of an Aging Link
Desert Oasis Fort
Dreamland's River of the Damned
Mission: Lumpy Star
Yay! I love it when everything is so vertical!
The Fortress of Trains
Shaken, Not Stirred
I do like my mysterious ocean levels, don't I?
Do you remember raocow's MAGLX LP? Yeah, it's kinda like that.
Lejes
https://lejes.talkhaus.com/

Post by Lejes »

Bowser's Oldest Fortress by Rednaxela
Mission: Delightful Graveyard by Septentrion Pleiades
Mountain Disaster by Maiku Wotaharu
Suddenly and Inadvertently Climb by Burgers
It's a SMB1 Level, Except Way Nicer by WestonSmith
Link's Depressing Circus by GanonTEK
It's a SMB2 Level Except Way More Dead by Compound Fraxure
Mission: Lumpy Star by raocow

Post game:
The Plot by Horikawa Otane

This was all a ploy to get everyone to rewatch the MAGL X LP, wasn't it!
Zygl

Post by Zygl »

Horikawa Otane wrote:What were your favourite levels out of MaGL X last year, actually?

If I were to narrow it down to a single level for each,
Main game: Koopa Devil Mansion because I am an absolute masochist
Postgame: The Plot :3

I was gonna list off some other standouts I can remember clearly at this point but that's a lot of levels and I'm kinda tired.
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator

Post by TaviTurnip »

Main game: Dreamland's River of the Damned (pretty close runner up being Shaken Not Stirred)

^ This level freaked me out :1 But in a really good way. The construction was amazing, and the story and atmosphere were really great xD It's probably the first level I think of when I think of MaGL X ever, more or less. Also Zbambibar, man >:/

^ This is one of the neatest moods to a level I've ever seen, and the actual song that goes behind it is fantastic. The 8-bit version was moody and atmospheric, and helps carry the pace of the otherwise slowish gameplay, but because of this level I found the real original song, which I recommend to anyone because it's hilarious. I just really love the level as a whole, though. It's too great.

Gosh darn it making us remember we have to wait for MaGL X2 to be judged!
I regularly stream on Twitch! with other members of the talkhaus. Come watch Monday, Tuesday and Friday at 2PM for blind playthroughs and Pokémon and Touhou and stuff. Come hang out with us!
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

I can't wait to have the finished yacht 2 episode handed to me at 3:00pm est today
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator

Post by TaviTurnip »

The mixup is that Horikawa was telling the truth.
FrozenQuills
hehe haha 2024

Post by FrozenQuills »

Main game:
The Mushroom Kingdom's Bluest Pipe by roundthewheel. It's really good all around.

runner ups and other enjoyable levels:
Valhalla Night
It's a Mario is Missing Level, Except Way More Intense
Too Many Forts in this Motherfreaking Mountain
Secret Tunnels are Just Like Green Tunnels If You Think About it
Shaken not Stirred
The Fortress of Trains
Sinking Happily
No Forests!
Too Many Trains in this Motherfreaking Tunnel
A Dreamland Castle Ship

Post game:
Gloomglow Grotto by Ignoritus. Really love the atmosphere and design.
Also loved that "game in review" level that is a summary of everything that happened
SMBX Tileset Compiler and Separator
The boss entry that made me eat a shoe.

5th place counter: 5
(SMBX Forums CC11, SMBX Forums CC12, Endgame Madness Contest, SMWC Kaizo Contest 2016, SMWC 24hr Contest 2018)