(shouting)

MaGL X2 Discussion - MaGL X2 Lands TOMORROW. GET. HYPE.

Weird Goonie

Re: MaGL X2 Discussion. No raocows! NOT the sign up thread!

Post by Weird Goonie »

Wow 267 levels, that's crazy! I wonder who will end up last, 133rd, and 1st.

My unused names:
My Mom Said That Roy Koopa Is of the Lord. I'm Inclined to Agree.

Nebulous Boo Do Not Often Hunt, but When They Do It's Mighty (Only other one I really considered)

Logical like mayonnaise (Yeah not too many ideas for this)

I Read in a Book That in America, Citadels Are More Like Bastions
Joseph Staleknight
ABCDs in Katamari Damacy when

Post by Joseph Staleknight »

GalaxyOfJ wrote:

When America Was Very Eager, Lakitu Were Posted in the Chateau - This is still a word salad!

I predict my level to get 32nd place! Give or take 5 places
I don't know about that. I could easily picture

you infiltrating a Louisiana mansion guarded by Lakitus in the middle of the 1840s.

Still, I'm looking forward to what you made!

Also, I'm pretty sure my level will get 36th place. I haven't really done as much as I did last time, so I don't expect it to go any higher than that.
QuietProtag
also known as luigiman09, rip 2010-2014
First name: Félix
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by QuietProtag »

If I can get a score over 65 or at least, made it to the top 200, I'll be satisfied.
blue_kirby
Wrong lever!!!

Post by blue_kirby »

I'm hoping my level is at least between 200th and 100th place. If it's 99th or below, I will be surprised. I'm not expecting too much out of my level, but it's not like a "joke level" ...

Here's hoping for another "Proud Sky"-like level. That level still makes me laugh really hard.
"That's embarrassing"
Lukaz2009
Hunting monsters while ignoring my mayoral duties.
First name: Lucas

Post by Lukaz2009 »

Horikawa Otane wrote:
Sinc-X wrote:let's go, bottom ten!

let's go, bottom ten!

i was actually gonna make a serious level but then autoscroll was like "nope"

so then my only goal was to get a laugh or two maybe

let's go, bottom ten!
There's some PRETTY STEEP competition for the bottom slots this year. I wish all of you the best of luck.
I doubt I`ll place too high, but I am fairly confident that I won`t end up in the bottom ten. And even if I do end up in the bottom ten however, that just means I`ll have to get better at making levels and I`ll learn from my mistakes.
Don't open the spoiler, or the Picklesaurus Rex will eat everyone!
You had to open it didn't you... Now the entire Talkhaus is doomed.
Lukaz2009 wrote:Monster Hunter: Where the Desire Sensor will bend you over, make you it's bitch, AND dash all of your hopes and dreams. All at the same time!
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

I have no idea where I'll place, my main hopes relate to the actual score I get.

I'm hoping I get high on Creativity and decent on Fun - not because I value the first more, but because that's the aspect I'm more confident in. Everyone who tested the level liked it, though, so I expect to do okay at least.
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

GalaxyOfJ wrote:

When America Was Very Eager, Lakitu Were Posted in the Chateau - This is still a word salad!

Even word salads can be level'd.
GalaxyOfJ
The Mysterious Stranger Except Incompetent

Post by GalaxyOfJ »

Joseph Staleknight wrote:
GalaxyOfJ wrote:

I predict my level to get 32nd place! Give or take 5 places
I don't know about that. I could easily picture

you infiltrating a Louisiana mansion guarded by Lakitus in the middle of the 1840s.

Still, I'm looking forward to what you made!

Also, I'm pretty sure my level will get 36th place. I haven't really done as much as I did last time, so I don't expect it to go any higher than that.
I was going to say that was a dumb idea, but now it gets less dumb the more I think about it
Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
https://ditocoaf.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ditocoaf »

I still want to do that thing with more people where we trade levels, play them, then talk about them to each other. It'll help pass the time between now and when the LP starts and the full game becomes available. PM me!
No Lynch
Pronouns: she

Post by No Lynch »

Lots of competition for last place and lots of competition for first place, oh man. This'll be one heck of a fun time to see to be worked with, eh, Jeeves?

Oh yeah, I fired him years ago.
McKnackus
Nobody ex-CAWCAW

Post by McKnackus »

So 270? Well, I guess MAGL X2 episodes will be raocow's full time job soon.

And with that, here's a bunch of easy names I got that I didn't use.

Luigi in a Lake
(Wasn't sure what this could be. Swimming levels are difficult to pull off.)

Fertile Competition Bake
(This was an easy level name?)

Fast Luck Environment
(Would've been based on Vegas. I was half tempted to make a RNG level where you had to be both fast and lucky to win, but those usually don't go well. In hindsight I can think of a few ways to make it work. Maybe in the future.)

I Liked Mario Is Missing
(This one was challenging. How do you make a level that's modeled after a bad edutainment game where fetch quests and quizzes are the only form of gameplay? I could really only parody it, but since I was so new to the engine, and since I hate quiz games, I didn't bother.)

romajiQuadhash
typos "raocow" as "roacow" (and I TAS)
First name: Romaji Quadhash
Pronouns: ke/keh/ker

Post by romajiQuadhash »

McKnackus wrote:So 270? Well, I guess MAGL X2 episodes will be raocow's full time job soon.

I Liked Mario Is Missing
(This one was challenging. How do you make a level that's modeled after a bad edutainment game where fetch quests and quizzes are the only form of gameplay? I could really only parody it, but since I was so new to the engine, and since I hate quiz games, I didn't bother.)

mario is missing is a good game.

This is a sig
Zia Satazaki
Floof Incarnate
Pronouns: she/they

Post by Zia Satazaki »

romajiQuadhash wrote:
McKnackus wrote:So 270? Well, I guess MAGL X2 episodes will be raocow's full time job soon.

I Liked Mario Is Missing

oh hey XANA
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

Luigi in a Lake

Fertile Competition Bake

Fast Luck Environment
(Would've been based on Vegas. I was half tempted to make a RNG level where you had to be both fast and lucky to win, but those usually don't go well. In hindsight I can think of a few ways to make it work. Maybe in the future.)

I Liked Mario Is Missing

Those seem like the bottom of the barrel for Easy names. Surprised that wasn't Medium.
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
McKnackus
Nobody ex-CAWCAW

Post by McKnackus »

Ivy wrote:

Luigi in a Lake

Fertile Competition Bake

Fast Luck Environment

I Liked Mario Is Missing

Those seem like the bottom of the barrel for Easy names. Surprised that wasn't Medium.
The name I choose was actually super generic. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if there were already 50 other levels with the same name elsewhere in other fangames. Honestly my level is probably not very original, but I don't recall seeing it being done quite like I did it, so maybe not? oh well.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

aww great this ended and I still haven't started my level

271st place yyeeeeaaah. I need to learn the engine better when I'm not swamped with schoolwork and too demotivated to figure out the engine, oh well
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
https://ditocoaf.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ditocoaf »

I think I'll only be disappointed if I'm in the bottom quarter. If I'm in the second quarter, I'll be like "yeah, that sounds about right", and if I'm anywhere in the top half I'll be super stoked.

I'm actually very happy with how my level turned out, considering I did it in a day and it's my first smbx level ever completed, but those circumstances necessarily had an effect on the outcome.
7NameSam
hey
Pronouns: they/them

Post by 7NameSam »

Here are the level names I didn't choose

Morton Koopa's River
SMB1 Chain Chomp
Tranquil
Dear Nod's House

they are easy levels
romajiQuadhash
typos "raocow" as "roacow" (and I TAS)
First name: Romaji Quadhash
Pronouns: ke/keh/ker

Post by romajiQuadhash »

JVyrn wrote:
romajiQuadhash wrote:

I Liked Mario Is Missing

oh hey XANA
Not Quite. There's some key diffrences.
... I probabaly should change my insigna
This is a sig
Kerkec

Post by Kerkec »

the only things about my level that I'm not satisfied with are the foreground tiles in the second section and the text for the entire thing
they were both meant to just be placeholders but ended up being the final thing (largely due to general laziness and burnout rather than time constraints, but ah well)

everything else I'm pretty proud of for being my first smbx experience, but I don't know how it's gonna stack up to the others here, I'm sure there's gonna be some amazing stuff

I feel confident that I could potentially deserve somewhere slightly above or at least around 100, but that depends on just how much amazing stuff there is, I suppose, because I wouldn't call mine "amazing" exactly (and for all I know, my level could be way too hard or horribly broken in some unforeseeable way to me, so...)

in any case, 267 entries, huh
good luck, judges, please don't die
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

Some people were talking about making levels out of the rejected level names, so I made a thread listing them.

I don't view that as officially "kicking off" any project that uses them, I just thought it was worth putting down the names I'd gathered up. Right now it's just what I could find in last year's names; Horikawa said that she kept track of all the names this year, so there isn't a need to go digging through this thread for them.
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
Fawriel

Post by Fawriel »

I know the contest is over already, but... Is there a way to make SMBX accept a mask for a sprite that doesn't normally have one? Juggling all these blocks and which ones can be used for what is so incredibly cumbersome...
Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans
Pronouns: they/them
https://rednaxela.talkhaus.com

Post by Rednaxela »

Fawriel wrote:I know the contest is over already, but... Is there a way to make SMBX accept a mask for a sprite that doesn't normally have one? Juggling all these blocks and which ones can be used for what is so incredibly cumbersome...
Nope. Blocks without a mask file cannot be given a custom mask file.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Looks like I need to at least take 239th place at the very lowest to tie my entry from last year. I'm setting my goal for 120th place despite it being rather optimistic though. Considering that my level this year was actually complete though (as opposed to last year's part of one subsection that didn't even work properly and a small bonus area) I'm confident I can at least beat 239th place.
Isrieri
Creatively Bankrupt
Pronouns: Male

Post by Isrieri »

Kerkec wrote:good luck, judges, please don't die
I'd like to echo that sentiment. I'm kind of glad I didn't make the cut now. I shudder to think how long its going to take.

Any conceptual ideas for the hub yet?