(shouting)

Super Meat Boy - some day we'll meat again

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Octagon
zentraidon
Pronouns: she

Super Meat Boy - some day we'll meat again

Post by Octagon »

1 - welp. WELP! (dropping frames and leaving stains)
2- tender love (successful troubleshooting, accidental overshooting)
3 - warm air balloon (would've expected a hospital to be more accomodating to skinless people)
4 - inhibitory agent for protein (high jumps and low hygiene standards)
5 - office buildings yeah
6 - E - T reference joke (sawblades are important for jerky production)
7 - meat seeking missiles (salt is a valuable good that requires strong factory defenses)
8 - no title gimmicks
9 - deep fried questions (even unrotten meat can go to hell)
10 - pulled reality (pulverizing beams are in the eye of the beholder)
11 - first blockage (war pzone is hell)
12 - extra bacon (eyes and mouths can be combined to form a face. where's the noses and ears?)
13 - medium rare (noseless face sows trial and reaps error)
14 - three buildings (limited "limited tries" edition)
15 - price inflation (after the calamity you will come upon repulsive things)
16 - i wanna pack a lunch (spikes deter pigeons and increase the difficulty)
17 - sun-dried potato (apocalypse zombie and spiteful respite)
18 - boologna (soil erosion monster and the automated telekinetic jostler)
19 - kid meal (weaponscape)
20 - the three dads (one eroder is more dangerous than three giant worms)
21 - super sky sausage
22 - super-actor (super won game)
23 - hamburger world (post game's here)
24 - mako mako ronnie (rewenge of vind)
25 - superpink (gimmick retrospective town)
26 - dusk (finished on schedule, what's ahead is shrouded in darkness)
27 - space progress in space (this is totally like final fantasy 6)
28 - chicken reference
29 - that old friend again
30 - breakfast pound
31 - peppermind
32 - laserlinks
33 - corner loop (cornerstuck AU)
34 - glaze (some mechanics are not conveyed very well)
more videos will be linked when the op stops being a lazy butt
FINAL - 66 - splurt (some day we'll meat again)
Last edited by Octagon 9 years ago, edited 39 times in total.
Image WHAT DOES THE P STAND FOR
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Re: Topic for the next game which may or may not end up being Super Meat Boy

Post by YelseyKing »

Octagon wrote:I'm hyped.
Making a thread before he even uploads the first video is cheating! :P
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

it's been done before :p
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Sorel
In the shadows
First name: Alexander
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Sorel »

I totally didn't do that with the 2 thread. Nah, not at all.

Oh well, if it's SMB, I won't be statisfied unless cowrao clears
The Kid's
warpzone.
Former active member, yearly lurker now.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Hey raocow, to answer some of your questions: Bandages don't appear in every level. I forget if it's a set number in every world but I think it was like 6-8 or so per world. For warp zones, they'll always be in the same spot in the same level. They'll always expire after a set amount of time though like you saw that first time. (I believe there's either two or three warp zones per world too but don't quote me on that, I haven't played in a long time.) The only other thing you should be aware of is that in addition to the dark world levels and the warp zones there's also the glitch levels. (Spoils how many glitch levels there are, not a big spoiler though.)

There's one glitch level in every world and getting it is entirely a matter of luck.

I dunno if I should tell you how you get them though. You're likely to at least get 1-2 before the end of the LP which should make it fairly obvious how it works.

Edit: Oh, and for your issue with Meat Boy not jumping, that's likely related to the issue with him running in place constantly. You might try a different recording software. If I recall correctly that's related to the framerate so if the software you're using to record drops the framerate that can happen.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

I wonder how long Rao is going to try to get everything.

Not the entire game, I hope. :|
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Grounder wrote:I wonder how long Rao is going to try to get everything.

Rao could definitely get everything. I nearly 100%ed the game myself when it first came out and raocow is significantly better at platformers than I am. He's also a lot more patient when it comes to dying half a trillion times on a level too which certainly helps.
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Getting the controls working is pretty important for this game.
anonymousbl00dlust

Post by anonymousbl00dlust »

Super Meat Boy is definitely one of the better 'hard-platformer' games. It's going to be really fun to watch caorao experience it for the first time.
Alice wrote:
Grounder wrote:I wonder how long Rao is going to try to get everything.

Rao could definitely get everything. I nearly 100%ed the game myself when it first came out and raocow is significantly better at platformers than I am. He's also a lot more patient when it comes to dying half a trillion times on a level too which certainly helps.
raocow beat S-Mario without savestates.

Dark cotton alley

is nothing compared to that.
alex2 wrote:It's all a matter of taste.
NegativeZeroZ
The Living Travesty

Post by NegativeZeroZ »

Been waiting for this since you mentioned it off-hand during Spelunky. For a while I thought it had become too popular to be a "raocow-LP-able" game. Also, the entire game's physics are affected by FPS. If you drop too many frames, Meat Boy will even fly right through walls. Might wanna consider using another recording software, or you might not be getting very far into the lategame levels.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

I saw raocow playing this on Steam yesterday so this makes sense now
Window Squeegee
Hog with a Blog

Post by Window Squeegee »

What a weird coincidence, I was just watching PsychedelicEyeball's let's play of this game. Well good luck raocow, you're going to need it. :shock:
CrispyMWHC
Arrangements in fulminating vective
http://crispymwhc.talkhaus.com/

Post by CrispyMWHC »

As for the Warp Zones, I'm pretty sure there isn't an indication that you beat it other than the bandages showing up when you get them. Which ones you've completed is just something you'll have to remember during the course of your run.

Hope you get that framerate issue fixed. Meat Boy banks on how tight it's controls are and you'll have a looot of trouble if the issues with jumping continue.
raocow wrote: 3 years ago oh SHIT

THE PROCEDURES
raocow wrote: 3 years ago I can't believe my mystical wizard friend told me to touch grass.
https://www.youtube.com/user/CrispyMWHC -- I play the games for the internet.
went

Post by went »

Warp zones have 2 bandages each, if I remember correctly (and, cough, cough, I 100%ed the game). About the bandages, there is nothing to tell you where one might be, other than they stand out clearly, and the status screen keeping count of them. Also, the 20 bandages are shared between the light and the dark world so it's like you need to look for about ~7 in light, ~7 in dark, and the ones hidden in warp zones and the other sort of secret zones you haven't found yet.

And clearly there is something wrong with your controls. Fix it because later worlds will murder you 2747586 times per second if your controls aren't pixel perfect.
Last edited by went 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
"Touhou is wrong" - Horikawa Otane
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

yeah, I changed my recording settings back to how they where with Symphonie of the Night and now the game controls like a drea~m
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Octagon
zentraidon

Post by Octagon »

You can jump long far!

Everyone says you should play this game with a game pad, but I'm still much better with a keyboard because I absolutely can't come to a precise halt when using a controller. I'm not used to nuanced input sensitivity and I guess I keep overcranking the stick.
NegativeZeroZ wrote:Also, the entire game's physics are affected by FPS. If you drop too many frames, Meat Boy will even fly right through walls.
Usually this just ends you up glitching into walls and dying. But thanks to

Naija

's super speed dash, it's fairly reliable and exploitable with her. This glitch lets you beat several A+ times by ~30 seconds.
The collision detection is really weird - for the landscape, dropped frames don't do anything, but you can't seem to glitch through damaging stuff, ever.
Last edited by Octagon 9 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

raocow wrote:like a drea~m
in my dreams i can see
you are not far away

any time any place
i can see your face
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Octagon wrote:Everyone says you should play this game with a game pad, but I'm still much better with a keyboard because I absolutely can't come to a precise halt when using a controller.
You can use a controller with a D-pad
Octagon
zentraidon

Post by Octagon »

There's probably no quick restart button because with the later difficulty, people would react to accidentally pressing it by literally, physically exploding.
Well, a menu option could exist safely. But in (I think) every level after world 1, death is always five seconds away, so it won't matter for long..

For the "diverge" level, the timer is so tight because there's the alternate path of just climbing up on the outside of the structure and skipping the inside, which is a lot faster, with the way horizontal momentum works in this game.

As for the difficulty, SMB is a lot like the Vips - trivial early game, but picks up quickly and with difficult side paths. Except a lot more consistent.
Ashan wrote:
Octagon wrote:Everyone says you should play this game with a game pad, but I'm still much better with a keyboard because I absolutely can't come to a precise halt when using a controller.
You can use a controller with a D-pad
I find the D-pad even worse than the thumbstick - I always sway into a diagonal direction I don't want, and letting go of the button has a delayed effect. Maybe my xbox controller is just faulty though.
Isocitration

Post by Isocitration »

Wow I don't think I ever realized you need A+ ranks to unlock the dark world levels. I just wanted to A+ each level as I went along and after finishing the light world, I just moved right along to the dark world.
ano0maly
Discord User

Re: Super Meat Boy - Dropping frames and leaving stains

Post by ano0maly »

raocow's trouble with the controls is why I didn't get that far in playing.

I don't know if him trying to A+ everything on camera would be a good idea. Is it possible to send him a save for this game?
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Bwarch »

bkamakaze wrote:this is going to end in tears
raocow, you are playing one of the hardest games ever right here, and especially one of the hardest games to 100% complete as you're trying to do. I would very very very highly suggest not going for 100% completion past the first world. Seriously. Bandages and dark world shenanigans will be excruciating. Two worlds in specific would be hardcore as hell, namely

an I Wanna Be The Guy inspired thing, and Cotton Alley, the post game world.

This is a game where you will be, in the latter half of the game, spending perhaps whole videos or multiple videos on one level alone, going hundreds of tries. I would personally say to probably do what I did and only play the game up until a certain point. The endpoint of world 3 is perhaps a good stopping point (Although I do really really love the atmosphere and soundtrack of world 4) I understand that you are resilient and you do respond fairly well with frustration, but just because you're able to throw your face at the wall hundreds of times doesn't mean you should, haha. I do think that playing this blind won't make for good video after a certain point.

Things to note: Super Meat World is a custom levels world, originally it was supposed to be an open thing to where anybody could submit their levels and have others rate and play them. But after some drama happened with somebody being a major dick to the developers they closed down submission and it just contains all the levels that were submitted beforehand now, a finite amount.

There's a documentary called Indie Game: The Movie where you can see the developers of this game specifically, get to know what kind of situation they were in when they made this game and just find out a bit about them as people. It's available on Netflix and Steam. It's a really good watch and I do recommend it quite a bit, there's no spoilers for the game other than Edmund talking about the tutorial process of the first world.

Which, by the way, I find it REALLY INTERESTING that they changed the first world of the game and added button input tutorials. Originally the game was old school style and just dumps you in the game and says "Hey, figure it out, good luck" And the part in the movie is all about explaining that design. They must have added the tutorial stuff in a later patch. It makes me a bit sad that they did that.

Best of luck on the game rao, it's really really great and fun and frustrating, one of the best games ever really. But it is sooooo hard as well haha. You've been through some pretty hard SMW shenanigans but this might be your toughest project yet if you really want to see it through to the bitter end.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

I would say that this is one of the games that fell victim to Dustforce ruining all other 2D platformers for me, but I played it before Dustforce.
Mostly I ended up feeling like the levels were designed for a character with different physics. Way too much single-block jumping and meat boy's momentum is just weird.
Basically, I'm ready to see you suffer at the hands of a game I despise :lol:

also this isn't nearly as hard as everyone's hyping it up to be, raocow's played way harder SMW stuff. The good thing about SMB is that most levels are short so a death isn't that big of a setback. SMW games have several minutes of stuff you have to do consecutively sometimes. I still remember S. Mario mostly and this isn't even close.
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
AlchemistHohenheim

Post by AlchemistHohenheim »

So raocow had never actually played Super Meat Boy before? Thought there had been a few times where he cited it as "a good way to do super hard difficulty since the levels are super short" or something to that effect. So he was going by hearsay?

(I haven't actually watched the video yet, if he addressed this there or something).
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Parama wrote:I would say that this is one of the games that fell victim to Dustforce ruining all other 2D platformers for me, but I played it before Dustforce.
Mostly I ended up feeling like the levels were designed for a character with different physics. Way too much single-block jumping and meat boy's momentum is just weird.
Basically, I'm ready to see you suffer at the hands of a game I despise :lol:

also this isn't nearly as hard as everyone's hyping it up to be, raocow's played way harder SMW stuff. The good thing about SMB is that most levels are short so a death isn't that big of a setback. SMW games have several minutes of stuff you have to do consecutively sometimes. I still remember S. Mario mostly and this isn't even close.
The difference is not only can he not save scum his way through if he gets sick of a stage, there's also a lot of them, lengthy or not.

Plus, you know, he wants to 100% complete it.

I don't think anyone wants another Nitroid.
Last edited by Grounder 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage