(shouting)

What games are you playing?

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
Bean
Yep.

Re: What games are you playing?

Post by Bean »

Goht's one of my favorite fights in a 3D Zelda game, although I've never touched Twilight Princess or Skyward Sword to this point. Anyway, I'm right around where Ashan is except I'm trying to do a lot of side quest stuff with some new stuff I found in the Great Bay Coast area. For a game that didn't have a long development cycle, they sure packed a lot of things to do in this one.
Picochilla
The eternal Cuddles

Post by Picochilla »

Was the

Night Mask moved out of the Curiosity Shop

? He never sells that...
100% Approved!
Patooties are Talkhaus' best thing!
So... I just put in my Youtube-Channel
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Isn't that one only available if you saved the woman from getting robbed on the first night? After looking it up, it's only there on the final night if you do that.

Also, I think I could've played a little bit smarter than I did today. I was balancing two quests at once and nearly ran out of time on the one while trying to get an item in the other. I think I'll be getting ready for the Great Bay Temple after doing one more thing the next time I play.
Picochilla
The eternal Cuddles

Post by Picochilla »

Bean wrote:
Isn't that one only available if you saved the woman from getting robbed on the first night? After looking it up, it's only there on the final night if you do that.
hmm... i thought u didnt need to do that to show it off. Well i will see it later then.
100% Approved!
Skully
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Skully »

Anyone participating in the Hunting of the Monsters? Perhaps for the fourth time? Hmmm? >v>
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

YelseyKing wrote:
Ashan wrote:I did the Great Bay Temple and wow, of all the things to complain about in this game, people chose THAT?
That is *exactly* how I felt when I finished the Water Temple on Ocarina of Time. I didn't play it until maybe five or so years ago, so, yeah, late to the party.
I think the problem is a lot of people did these things for their first time when they were like 10 and then they convinced themselves it was really bad and never reevaluated the difficulty.
The OoT water temple really isn't bad, I'd say the only tricky part is there's one thing, I think it's a key that's hidden in the central pillar of the main room. You have to raise the water level so the platform floats up, and then there's a hole under where the platform was and you need to go in there.
I think there's a cutscene that shows you that, but if you're not paying attention or miss it, you'll probably miss that which I've done on several occasions.
Bean wrote:Goht's one of my favorite fights in a 3D Zelda game, although I've never touched Twilight Princess or Skyward Sword to this point.
Yeah, Goht was pretty fun. Kind of easy, but fun.
Also you should play TP and SS. SS gets a lot of crap, but I thought it was pretty good. The repeated game of whack-a-mole you play with one boss was kind of dumb (if you've played it, you know what I mean) but I think it holds up pretty well, even if EgoRaptor convinced a bunch of people it's awful by saying "nobody would like it if it wasn't a Zelda" which I completely disagree with.
Bean wrote:

There's a mask you can only get by doing that? How are you supposed to know that? Is there dialogue I missed? Cause I saved the old woman from getting robbed, and got the big bomb bag out of it, and assumed that's the whole point of that sidequest. I would have never gone back to do it again.
Sorel
In the shadows
First name: Alexander
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Sorel »

Zombieskull88 wrote:Anyone participating in the Hunting of the Monsters? Perhaps for the fourth time? Hmmm? >v>
It's gonna be the next game I buy.
Former active member, yearly lurker now.
Hoeloe
A2XT person

Post by Hoeloe »

Going to spoiler this post, for spoilers and for length.
swirlybomb wrote:Hey there will be no disrespecting Goht, that's probably one of the favorite Zelda bosses out there. From Majora fans at least.
Goht was the one boss I really enjoyed in this game. I think there were a couple of things that could be improved, and his design was less than inspired, but was fun to fight. If I'd been the one making it, I'd have designed him differently, exaggerating his bull-like features more (big horns, large head, brighter colours). I'd also have set the boss in an infinite corridor, rather than a circular arena. I think the boss would feel a lot cooler if you were racing through tunnels in the mountains, rather than just round and round in circles.
swirlybomb wrote: Also I would like to think it's a plus that bosses are vulnerable to more than one thing (although "sword+bow" kinda just applies to all of them...)? If a boss "reacts as if damaged", then they clearly did take damage. Bosses in this game have a lot of health though, so that might make it seem like they're not being damaged? I would also say that I did like the dungeons as a whole... they're a bit more confusing than other Zelda dungeons, but they're really big and more exciting and feel like real challenges to overcome (and compensate for there only being four of them).
Sure, that's not, by itself, a problem. The problem is that they didn't do it well, and it made a lot of the bosses infuriating to fight, because none of the techniques you can use is actually viable by itself, rather than having multiple viable techniques.

And no, I mean the boss was literally not being damaged. I looked it up afterwards. It acts as though it is, but it actually doesn't reduce its health at all. The boss in question was Twinmold, which was changed to make it more of a challenge, and I think they did a lot of things wrong with it. Primarily the issue with Twinmold was conveyance - that is, unless you know exactly how to beat the boss, and exactly which of the many techniques you can use to deal or appear to deal minor damage to it is actually viable (if you use the wrong technique, it will take all 3 game days to actually get all its health down), it is extremely difficult to work out, because it's not made clear what you're actually supposed to do. Once you know what you have to do, the boss isn't very hard, but doing it for the first time, I took almost 2 game days wearing down its health slowly, thinking I was doing a lot more damage than I was because the conveyance was so bad.

I think the length of the dungeons was not a problem, nor was their challenge. The problem was mostly that they didn't really give many hints as to what to do in certain places (often leading to people making the wrong assumption as to what was expected of them - something you don't want your players to do at the best of times, but when playing a time-limited game, this is even worse), and, in the case of the Great Bay Temple, some things that should have been and were intended to be trivial (i.e. picking a path from the whirlpool) were a lot harder than they should have been thanks to the controls (the Zora swimming controls are fairly awful, particularly when the camera gets knocked off pivot, or when a jump out of the water is necessary). I think that on the whole the actual puzzles and content were fairly well designed, they could just have done with a bit larger space to reduce to business of the areas, and better controls in some instances.
swirlybomb wrote: By the way, I've heard that Twinmold got altered (as you mentioned), and I'm curious to know how. But I should probably wait until I play the game myself to find out.
Twinmold was the boss I had the most trouble with, simply because what you're meant to do is not at all obvious. You can damage the boss directly by waiting for the right moment, avoiding his attacks and dealing some hits, and this seems like what you're supposed to do (after all, Volvagia in OoT worked this way), but this is actually completely wrong, and the act of waiting coupled with the tiny amount of damage dealt by this method will cause you to game over from time, even with the reverse Song of Time in effect. Instead, you have to just wail on it in the air. Doing so makes the boss shake around, but not flash red like it normally does. I was not sure whether this meant I was dealing damage to the boss (but without the flash for some reason), or it was just shrugging off my attacks. Turns out it's neither, and you need to just keep doing it, which is not all clear, because doing so produces no change to the boss' pattern until you've done so for a fair amount of time and you knock the boss into a vulnerable state. Even then, I assumed this meant I could just whack the boss while it was down and it would take damage (as generally happens with Zelda bosses in their vulnerable state). Again, this is not the case, but requires a special action to be taken by targeting its tail and hitting A. The problems with this boss are not actually in execution, but that it breaks patterns set by other bosses in Zelda (including the previous 3 in this game), and does not signpost well enough that it is doing so, making for an incredibly confusing boss fight unless you know exactly what you're doing.

The only other boss I had any trouble with was Gyorg, and this is only because the second half is basically pot luck. Mines appear out of the water at random, and you have to shake them loose and have Gyorg suck them in before they float to the surface and explode. However, this only works if the mine is within a certain distance from Gyorg, and Gyorg has stopped swimming around and is preparing to try sucking you in. The problem is that there is no guarantee that any mines will appear close enough to Gyorg to actually pull this off, and on my first attempt I spent almost half a day (with inverted Song of Time) swimming around trying to get him to suck in mines that were repeatedly spawning too far away to actually be useful.
swirlybomb wrote: As an alternative, some people like to try and do everything in a single cycle, fighting the final boss at the end of that cycle, to make it seem more like you did manage to help everyone. Probably takes a ton of micromanaging to pull that off, though.
It's also not technically possible, since some quests are only beatable by ignoring others (see Anju and Kafei), so you need at least two cycles to do everything. It's possible to do most quests in one cycle (as well as beating all 4 other bosses). Extremely difficult to pull off, though.
swirlybomb wrote:It should also make you invisible to most regular enemies as well (at least I'm pretty sure that's correct; it's been a long time since I last played the game).
Well, yes, but in most of the game from that point that's not really an issue, since most enemies from that point on you either need to kill. or can just avoid normally.
swirlybomb wrote: If you disagree with anything I've said, remember that I'm SUPER biased about Majora's Mask and it's one of my favorite games. And that I don't aim to be criticizing anyone or anything, just saying my point of view.
I want to say that, despite my pretty harsh criticism, I thoroughly enjoyed this game, and would recommend it to others. I had a lot more fun doing the side quests than the main missions, but it was overall an extremely enjoyable experience. I absolutely love the world, and the ending sequence was utterly spectacular (first time I've ever actually beaten this game. The furthest I got on the N64 version was Ikana Castle).

I'm a professional game developer, and I wouldn't be any good at my job if I didn't pick apart every minute detail of a gameplay experience and examine it. Any part of the game I enjoyed less or more than other parts, I'll scrutinise until I work out why. None of the things I've talked about actually ruined the game for me, and a lot of them are quite minor complaints, but it's part of my job to be able to examine gameplay from an objective viewpoint, and I hope I've managed to at least approximate that here.
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Post by YelseyKing »

YIAZMAT HAS FALLEN!!

Man. That took a ridiculously long time.

50,000,000 HP. Who thought *that* was a good idea? Urgh.
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
Skully

Post by Skully »

FluffiMasta wrote:
Zombieskull88 wrote:Anyone participating in the Hunting of the Monsters? Perhaps for the fourth time? Hmmm? >v>
It's gonna be the next game I buy.
Excellent! So many subtle changes compared to the last game and for the better. Definitely the meat of the meat and taters that was the Majora/MH launch.
zmonbobbo
Haustone Tournament Semifinalist
Hey there! I'm a dude!
First name: Zach

Post by zmonbobbo »

Playing through Phoenix Wright: Dual Destinies right now, but only on my off days, so it's taking forever. I don't think it has quite the same "punch" to it that the others in the series did, but I've heard the last 2 cases are amazing, and the 3rd wasn't bad either.
I'm probably driving right now.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

I got stuck in the story and don't know what to do so I decided to see what side stuff I can get done.
I talked to one of the bombers and he said one of the old hags wanted to open a business once the swamp was clean. So I went and re-killed the first temple boss, saved the hag in the forest, and talked to her and she had an arrow shooting game. Apparently all you needed was 20 or more to get the prize, but I got 41, so thanks motion control! Anyway, that got me my third bottle!
Then I noticed the heart piece on top of the swamp hut, but I needed to get the deku scrub out of his house to get up there, so I went back and did the trading for the moon tear, then got the town house deed, then got him out and got my heart piece. I went to run around and find another scrub to trade his house deed for but I didn't know where it was, so I checked in the Goron village cause I remembered a guy there, but it turned out he only gives you the biggest bomb bag which I already got from him so I guess there's another one I'll have to find at some point. Regardless, while I was in Goron village, I remembered that I completely forgot to do the Goron race that unlocked after I beat Goht, so I bought a powder keg, blew up the entrance, re-fought Goht, and went and did the race and somehow did it on my first try, just barely.
That got me gold powder (AND the last bottle!), and I knew where to use that cause the smithy mentioned he could upgrade my sword permanently with that! So I took it to him, got my sword upgraded, which took the day, then gave him the powder to add the permanent upgrade to it which took another day. So yeah, I got a gilded sword now which is neat! I'm really glad I managed to finish the all of that stuff before the end of the first day though, cause if I didn't I wouldn't have had enough time to for him to take the 2 days to make the sword. It's kind of stupid they made it take 2 days to get the good sword, cause if you don't do everything for it on the first day, you have to restart or you won't have enough time for him to make the sword. Unless I'm missing something, that's some stupid design.

Anyway, that's how I got my last 2 bottles, a heart piece, and the gilded sword all in one day just by screwing around.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

I kind of want to replay 999 (I first played it sometime in the first half of 2014), but I know there wouldn't really be much of a point, because I still remember the plot perfectly. It's rather unfortunate because it's one of my favorite things ever. Yet, I'll never be able to experience the same feelings and emotions that I felt when reading through the story for the first time.

Given how much I like it, it's probably going to be a big part of my life forever, which means that I'm always going to remember the plot more-or-less perfectly, too.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Sorel
In the shadows

Post by Sorel »

YelseyKing wrote:YIAZMAT HAS FALLEN!!

Congrats, must have taken an enternity and a half to finish.
Former active member, yearly lurker now.
Euparkeria
Palaeontological Platformerer

Post by Euparkeria »

Beat Mega Man (World) III. Feels good. One of the harder MM's I've played.
Cool banner by Neutron Star!
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Made some more progress in Majora's Mask 3D.
I figured out what I needed to progress the story, I had completely missed the whole graveyard area, but I did it now and got the song of storms. I also did a few sidequests before I found that, I did the oceanside spider house and got the 500 rupee wallet, and I also got a few more heart pieces, so I'm up to 11 heart containers now. Speaking of the oceanside spider house, there was something really stupid about that. I had no trouble finding most of them, but then I couldn't find any more and I had to look up what to do, not to get their specific locations, but I didn't know how to check inside pots and stuff. I tried punching them as a Goron, and rolling into them, and nothing worked. I looked it up, and you DO have to punch the pots as a Goron, but for some reason it just rarely works, and you have to position yourself very specifically. So that was dumb. Also there's just a random bookshelf you can move. None of the others are like that, just one so you have to be staring at your A button command to see it turn into "grab" if you're pressing up against it for some reason.

Just now I did the thing with the little girl and her dad where you get the Gibdo mask. The story on that one was pretty sad, and once again reminded me that the next time I play the song of time, I'm undoing all that I did to make them happy. :(
I also did the well segment where you have to give the Gibdos things to get them to open doors for you. It was kind of neat, though I have an issue with the one description. It asked for "something that flashes and explodes like a bomb" and I had no idea what it was, so I assumed it was a bombchu, so I ran all the way out of the well, travelled to clocktown, went into Termina field, found the hole under a rock I knew there was a bombchu, grabbed it, warped back, offered it to him, and... he didn't take it. Then I tried a Deku Nut and apparently that's what he meant. WHELP
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Post by YelseyKing »

Euparkeria wrote:Beat Mega Man (World) III. Feels good. One of the harder MM's I've played.
I played through the GB Megaman games last spring. 3 was definitely the hardest... but it sure was fun. It was the *good* kind of hard, IMO.
FluffiMasta wrote:
YelseyKing wrote:YIAZMAT HAS FALLEN!!

Congrats, must have taken an enternity and a half to finish.
Thanks. Actually, it took... probably about 4 hours, total? About an hour on Tuesday night in which I whittled down about 20 million HP, and then three hours or so yesterday. It was actually only really *dangerous* at the very end, when Yiazmat stopped using his weaker breath attacks and just started chaining physical attack after physical attack, each of which had a small, but nonetheless ever-present chance of an instant kill... and it also had a 100% effective instant death attack. And unlike every other FF game, there's... no way to stop instant death in 12. So hooray? I'm just glad it's over and done with.

I also defeated Omega Mark XII last night, which takes care of the game's big challenges. There's a fishing minigame left to do, but I've come to the conclusion that I'm awful with "press buttons in a sequence shown on screen very quickly"-type deals, especially when they start throwing in the L and R buttons. That and the achievement for getting all the Quickening Concurrences, which is just pure luck, near as I can tell, are about all I won't be doing. The final battles are about all that's left otherwise. Should be very easy after what I've *been* through.
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
Sorel
In the shadows

What games are you playing?

Post by Sorel »

I finished Megaman Zero 3, and it was super awesome.

Now, on to the final installment: Megaman Zero 4.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Beat All-Stars!SMB1 (first quest)
Now to do All-Stars!SMB2J (currently at 4-3)
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Majora's Mask 3D finally made me ragequit.
I got to Twinmold, and killed the blue one no problem, then the red one came along and I fought him for about a half hour straight, unable to do any damage to him.
I finally looked up what to do, and apparently after you punch him enough times he's supposed to fall but I punched him for half an hour and nothing happened. This is so stupid.

I went through this whole game without using a guide, and I finally had to break down and use one, and all for a stupid boss, and even with the guide I still can't do anything because of how badly designed it is.
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

I kinda want to get that new Kirby game tomorrow.
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
Whimsical Calamari
i am the one that sings the chorus when you hum in the shower

Post by Whimsical Calamari »

i spent twenty minutes trying to figure out what my button config on lethal league was because it never saves and i always forget which is jump and which is swing
ImageImage Image ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Picochilla
The eternal Cuddles

Post by Picochilla »

Ivy wrote:I kinda want to get that new Kirby game tomorrow.
First i thought: Woot? it's already there for NA?
*looks at Europe date* Q3/Q4 2015.... are u kidding me Nintendo? A 6 Months Gasp between NA and EU release? <__<
100% Approved!
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Wound up taking down the Great Bay Temple in my Majora's Mask 3D.

I was not expecting that new second phase of the boss to be as complicated as it was, but I am so glad I decided to bring a fairy along to for the extra backup. I wound up needing it.

After that was a lot of side quest stuff to get me closer to heading off to Stone Tower. I think I'll keep finishing what I was doing at the place you have to go to before that and go back to side quest stuff again before taking that last temple on.
Last edited by Bean 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Picochilla
The eternal Cuddles

Post by Picochilla »

Bean wrote:Wound up taking down the Great Bay Temple in my Majora's Mask 3D.

I was not expecting that new second phase of the boss to be as complicated as it was, but I am so glad I decided to bring a fairy along to for the extra backup. I wound up needing it.

After that was a lot of side quest stuff to get me closer to heading off to Stone Tower. I think I'll keep finish what I was doing at the place you have to go to before that and go back to side quest stuff again before taking that last temple on.
bwahaha... i somehow forgot how to get trought it xD
But the Fairy reward is the best for it.
100% Approved!