(shouting)

request grab-bag

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.

i am a dog weasel ?!

very yes
50%
yes
23%
no
16%
very no
11%

Total votes: 240

Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Re: request grab-bag

Post by Alice »

Willhart wrote:
Leet wrote:Ib would definitely not work, though, since it, in fact, does have a lot of text, and adventure game puzzles.
Why is that a bad thing? It's pretty easy game to get immersed in and the puzzles are really not that hard. I'm pretty sure raocow would probably enjoy the humor, music and the atmosphere in that game to some extend.
The issue is that it wouldn't be a good game for rao to lp. Playing in his own time is a fine idea but just because it made a decent lp for someone else doesn't mean it would lend itself well to raocow's style. (Which it really wouldn't.)
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Alice wrote:
Willhart wrote:
Leet wrote:Ib would definitely not work, though, since it, in fact, does have a lot of text, and adventure game puzzles.
Why is that a bad thing? It's pretty easy game to get immersed in and the puzzles are really not that hard. I'm pretty sure raocow would probably enjoy the humor, music and the atmosphere in that game to some extend.
The issue is that it wouldn't be a good game for rao to lp. Playing in his own time is a fine idea but just because it made a decent lp for someone else doesn't mean it would lend itself well to raocow's style. (Which it really wouldn't.)
I did play the game too on my own time and I did like the music and the artistic undertone and the plot. raocow likes art and painting. The game is pretty silly from time to time too, and on the softer side of the horror games.

Is this negativity only because raocow has not played a game in that genre before?

Edit: I agree that Yume Nikki is not a good game to lp. It's mostly a collection of random areas, and it does not have that much gameplay or progression. Ib is a lot more linear and story driven.
Last edited by Willhart 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

Isn't yume nikki, like, hard to figure out or something? Which might be annoying for a LP where raocow spends 30 minutes looking for the right thing to do

I mean, I remember trying this game ages ago, and I just had no clue what to do at all. I could go to about 3 different places by clicking on the bed and stuff I think, but all these places were huge empty rooms with nothing going on, and I just spent a good hour going in circles between these few rooms before quitting and never touching this game again. It might've just been because I'm an absolute dumbass but idk it doesn't really seem like good LP material

Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Bwarch »

Adding in my two cents because why not.

Ib is really great and amazing and I'd love to see rao give it a playthrough, I realize it had mild puzzley elements, but it's not complicated enough to where I'd worry rao couldn't do it... mostly... I suppose he might get stumped on a couple of them but it's doable I think.

Yume Nikki would indeed be terrible, blind LPs of it just don't work in my opinion, it's more something that's fun to watch videos on if the person knows exactly what to do and where to go.

Ib is linear-ish, which is why I think it would work more or less for a blind LP.
Jesuiscontent wrote:Isn't yume nikki, like, hard to figure out or something? Which might be annoying for a LP where raocow spends 30 minutes looking for the right thing to do

I mean, I remember trying this game ages ago, and I just had no clue what to do at all. I could go to about 3 different places by clicking on the bed and stuff I think, but all these places were huge empty rooms with nothing going on, and I just spent a good hour going in circles between these few rooms before quitting and never touching this game again. It might've just been because I'm an absolute dumbass but idk it doesn't really seem like good LP material
Fully recommend a good commentary-less run honestly, it's a neat game to watch through when it's done non-blind.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8B-j8pn6Wx4

(Text commentary works and doesn't spoil the atmosphere)
Alice

Post by Alice »

Willhart wrote:Is this negativity only because raocow has not played a game in that genre before?

Edit: I agree that Yume Nikki is not a good game to lp. It's mostly a collection of random areas, and it does not have that much gameplay or progression. Ib is a lot more linear and story driven.
It has nothing to do with the fact that he hasn't lped that genre before. It has everything to do with the reasons he has purposefully avoided lping that genre though. Things that are heavy on story and dialog are a bad idea for raocow to lp specifically because of his style combined with the fact that when lping he pays very little attention to the text in games. If he tried lping a game like that one of two things would happen. He would either make less commentary because he was concentrating on the dialog or he would keep doing commentary and not really get the dialog (thus missing important details which he is already known to do) because he was only half concentrating on reading.
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Alice wrote:
Willhart wrote:Is this negativity only because raocow has not played a game in that genre before?

It has nothing to do with the fact that he hasn't lped that genre before. It has everything to do with the reasons he has purposefully avoided lping that genre though. Things that are heavy on story and dialog are a bad idea for raocow to lp specifically because of his style combined with the fact that when lping he pays very little attention to the text in games. If he tried lping a game like that one of two things would happen. He would either make less commentary because he was concentrating on the dialog or he would keep doing commentary and not really get the dialog (thus missing important details which he is already known to do) because he was only half concentrating on reading.
It does require a little different mindset from the platformers. raocow is a fast reader though, and I'm pretty sure he can commentate over pretty much anything, if he just tries. Dialogue is easier to read and follow than normal textboxes too. It's all about correct phasing.
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Voltgloss »

Also, to clarify one point: Ib is not an RPG. It's made using RPG Maker, but uses no RPG elements.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

If we're going to suggest a scary RPG Maker thing then why not something that is less known and less played by many other people? Yume Nikki is widely known in this category, it's no different from suggesting something like Binding of Isaac or Super Meat Boy, but only relative to the RPG Maker/indie horror category.

I don't think Ib is a good idea unless raocow is willing to do a 100% run. The game has a lot of interesting things that would be missed out in a single blind run; it's not a game where the first run through it is enough. But something like Ib would be a far better choice than Yume Nikki for raocow. It's easier for him to play when there are text and clues that help the him guide his directions and give him objectives. I know that was the case for me.
Friendly Dictator
rad
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Friendly Dictator »

Thunder Dragon, the creator of Psycho Waluigi, released a new game. It's called Toadette Strikes. It's really good. It's a sequel to Toad Strikes Back, but you don't need to have played the first one to play this one.

Also, Abducted Toad tied for Game of the Year 2014 on MFGG.
Stink Terios

Post by Stink Terios »

Horikawa Otane wrote:I'm still super in favour of SMBX Japan...
Agreed. It'll be.. interesting.
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere

Post by Jesuiscontent »

Superdimentiobros wrote:Thunder Dragon, the creator of Psycho Waluigi, released a new game. It's called Toadette Strikes. It's really good. It's a sequel to Toad Strikes Back, but you don't need to have played the first one to play this one.

Idk about raocow but I sure am playing this asap

SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Stink Terios wrote:
Got a link? Maybe I'll take a look at it.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Stink Terios

Post by Stink Terios »

SAJewers wrote:
Stink Terios wrote:
Got a link? Maybe I'll take a look at it.
Horikawa already posted it a few (many?) pages ago.
http://goo.gl/z616ug
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere

Post by Jesuiscontent »

Jesuiscontent wrote:
Superdimentiobros wrote:Thunder Dragon, the creator of Psycho Waluigi, released a new game. It's called Toadette Strikes. It's really good. It's a sequel to Toad Strikes Back, but you don't need to have played the first one to play this one.

Idk about raocow but I sure am playing this asap
Ok I'm in love just with the tutorial level. Everything this guy does is gold, like holy shit, it feels like a legit game.

SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Stink Terios wrote: http://goo.gl/z616ug
SMBX seems to outright crash/freeze when I try to load the episode.

EDIT: NVM, got it to work.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

ano0maly wrote:If we're going to suggest a scary RPG Maker thing then why not something that is less known and less played by many other people? Yume Nikki is widely known in this category, it's no different from suggesting something like Binding of Isaac or Super Meat Boy, but only relative to the RPG Maker/indie horror category.
1) How is Yume Nikki a horror game? I've seen so many people refer to it as a horror game but it really isn't.

2) That's like saying suggesting ASMT is like suggesting Binding of Isaac but relative to the romhack "category". What I mean by this is that RPG Maker isn't a very big thing at all, so comparisons like that become irrelevant when anything made in RPG Maker is very unlikely to have achieved the levels of popularity and "lets played" than Edmund McMillen's games have.

When it comes down to it, RPG Maker games that aren't RPGs usually fall into a few wide categories.

1) Yume Nikki + fangames: Yume Nikki and games directly inspired by Yume Nikki (though having no in-game connections) (ex: .flow, LCD DEM, Someday)

2) Games inspired by Yume Nikki: The above, but less obvious regarding their inspirations (ex: Neftelia)

3) Jumpscares

Or, in other words:

1) Exploration

2) Jumpscares

Speaking of exploration games, Neftelia would be a fun alternative to Yume Nikki to LP, and I mean in general, like, anybody should LP Neftelia. It's a lot less hard-to-navigate than Yume Nikki while still remaining ambiguous and abstract, it's far more obscure, and the only English LP of it in existence is by a horrible person. (Who unfortunately happens to be a good LPer...) Everyone: LP Neftelia you won't regret it

What was this post about again
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

OK, I gave Super Mario Japan a try.

It's decent, and definitely feels like a Japanese thing, but some things feel a bit Janky at times. Granted, I've only got partway through world 2.

Some of the level design is pretty good (

aside from the p-switch placement, the first ghost house I liked

), and the Sonic-style level cards at the start of each world is a nice touch. However, there are some oddities in level design (

the first half of the second level was kinda dumb; if you took the wrong path, you have to go all the way back to the start of the level. Also, there's no powerups I could find in the second half of the first Fortress.)

. There's a lot of interesting things that were done,

like the minecart level in World 2, which really feels like a standard SMW Minecart level,

and it really feels like a Japanese thing, but arguably to a fault. I'd say it's not as good as any of the STTB games, but more interesting than Apocalypse of Foroze. Also, I've had at least twice where the music didn't work, though that might be an SDL2 thing.

In short, it's not bad, and would probably make an interesting/entertaining LP for raocow. Having said that, raocow should probably play it after Toadette Strikes, especially if it's as good as people are saying it is. Also, someone may want to translate the cutscenes (I think there's only one).
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

2) That's like saying suggesting ASMT is like suggesting Binding of Isaac but relative to the romhack "category". What I mean by this is that RPG Maker isn't a very big thing at all, so comparisons like that become irrelevant when anything made in RPG Maker is very unlikely to have achieved the levels of popularity and "lets played" than Edmund McMillen's games have.
Um, what I mean is that Yume Nikki is quite overplayed, and therefore a very unoriginal suggestion. If we were to suggest an RPG Maker game, Yume Nikki would be one of the worst and not very thought-out suggestion, for that reason (and for the other reason of lacking dialogues or hints that can confuse a blind player).
Leet

Post by Leet »

If it was overplayed it wouldn't be so obscure now would it? Checkmate atheists

Okay seriously though as I explained in the rest of my post, there isn't much good in RPG Maker that isn't an RPG or Yume Nikki. What's left outside of those categories is little adventure things like Wither and little action things like I'm Scared of Girls. Good, but arguably even less fitting for rao to play. (And unrelated, but I'm Scared of Girls is honestly tons more obtuse than Yume Nikki despite having more words and combat and stuff)

Wasn't there a Touhou metroidvania made in rpg maker or something like that
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

On the contrary, adventure-oriented horror games like Ib or Mad Father are more appropriate than Yume Nikki and its fangames, precisely because there's text. I don't know why you think having dialogue is a bad thing, when they're the things that will help raocow figure out puzzles (and he's done plenty of those). Having no text will be just him flailing around.
Leet

Post by Leet »

Because you've seen how raocow is with dialogue

He's super awkward about it (unless its touhou dialogue, of course, which he reads beautifully)

I don't want to see raocow stumble with words over garry and mary for seven episodes

Could he solve the puzzles? Yeah

...Is raocow a lets player who plays puzzle games? Um

If you really want to see raocow play a puzzle-and-dialog adventure game, I mean, I would totally watch it too, sounds like it would be a fun experiment, but

(And Yume Nikki and friends arent as hard to figure out as people like to say they are honestly)

(Well Yume Nikki is because its so isolation-focused, and Yume 2kki is because its so massive in general, but most of the other ones are highly manageable)
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Text doesn't have to be purely plot-related stuff. There's a lot of text that's directly relevant to the gameplay, giving hints and descriptions that helps the player. And raocow's no stranger to those.
Alice

Post by Alice »

ano0maly wrote:Text doesn't have to be purely plot-related stuff. There's a lot of text that's directly relevant to the gameplay, giving hints and descriptions that helps the player. And raocow's no stranger to those.
He's also no stranger to missing important dialog and having no idea what to do because he wasn't actually paying attention.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Better than not having dialogue at all when he needs them.
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

SAJewers wrote:OK, I gave Super Mario Japan a try.

It's decent, and definitely feels like a Japanese thing, but some things feel a bit Janky at times. Granted, I've only got partway through world 2.

Some of the level design is pretty good (

aside from the p-switch placement, the first ghost house I liked

), and the Sonic-style level cards at the start of each world is a nice touch. However, there are some oddities in level design (

the first half of the second level was kinda dumb; if you took the wrong path, you have to go all the way back to the start of the level. Also, there's no powerups I could find in the second half of the first Fortress.)

. There's a lot of interesting things that were done,

like the minecart level in World 2, which really feels like a standard SMW Minecart level,

and it really feels like a Japanese thing, but arguably to a fault. I'd say it's not as good as any of the STTB games, but more interesting than Apocalypse of Foroze. Also, I've had at least twice where the music didn't work, though that might be an SDL2 thing.

In short, it's not bad, and would probably make an interesting/entertaining LP for raocow. Having said that, raocow should probably play it after Toadette Strikes, especially if it's as good as people are saying it is. Also, someone may want to translate the cutscenes (I think there's only one).
OK, I finished World 2. Game is quite fun, though there are some weird design things that I guess would be considered standard for a Japanese thing. Even though I haven't played Toadette Strikes, I'd still say play Toadette Strikes first, then Super Mario Japan, unless raocow wants to play Toadette Strikes as a B-Side (in that case, I would highly recommend Super Mario Japan for raocow's next main project).