(shouting)

MaGL X2 Discussion - MaGL X2 Lands TOMORROW. GET. HYPE.

Animita
Pronouns: Him/Her

Re: MaGL X2 Discussion. No raocows! NOT the sign up thread!

Post by Animita »

I've noticed that while the main thread includes a tutorial link for the vanilla engine, unless i'm overlooking does not have anything for the "Wohl Editor". As a 100% newbie to this i am currently unaware of how different it is from vanilla so just wondering if it's needed or not.
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Animita wrote:I've noticed that while the main thread includes a tutorial link for the vanilla engine, unless i'm overlooking does not have anything for the "Wohl Editor". As a 100% newbie to this i am currently unaware of how different it is from vanilla so just wondering if it's needed or not.
It allows editing in fullscreen mode, and has a zoom functionality. It can also copy-paste parts of level and undo previous actions. I'd say it is super useful and it is included to the Semi-official MaGL X2 Devkit. It's not necessarily needed though.
swirlybomb
a bomb that is swirly
First name: Swirlus Bomberton

Post by swirlybomb »

LunarNeedle wrote:
Ignoritus wrote:I can't possibly imagine how someone could consider this cheating. That would be equatable to saying that studying for a test is cheating.
While not initially cheating, it would skip an essential step in level making. I might customize the graphics from there, but I have in essence created a part of a level. A good example would be making a set of colour palettes before a final painting project in art class (they do those, right?)
I still don't get how that could be considered 'cheating', unless you're implying that you're building the level beforehand, which you aren't. (unless you are)
Animita wrote:I've noticed that while the main thread includes a tutorial link for the vanilla engine, unless i'm overlooking does not have anything for the "Wohl Editor". As a 100% newbie to this i am currently unaware of how different it is from vanilla so just wondering if it's needed or not.
I think it could be summed up as "SMBX but better". If you can use SMBX, you can use Wohl's.

not-edit: what Willhart said
anonymousbl00dlust wrote:All the obstacles in my level can be beaten on the players first attempt without any 'future predicting'.
Shinoda

Post by Shinoda »

Messing around with Wohl's editor right now. It's MUCH better but is there a way to actually test the level without having to either reopen the level in the normal editor or loading SMBX to test it every time?
Horikawa Otane wrote:Butt-lamps are -30 points, so =p
ImageImageImage
Sturg
Gets his freak on with VGM
First name: sturgyman

Post by Sturg »

Unfortunately no, there isn't at the moment. Right now you'll usually want to try and have both the PGE editor and SMBX editor on at the same time, that is if your PC can handle it.
ImageImage
Image ImageImage
RIP FISH NIPPLE BANNER
Hoeloe
A2XT person
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Hoeloe »

Shinoda wrote:Messing around with Wohl's editor right now. It's MUCH better but is there a way to actually test the level without having to either reopen the level in the normal editor or loading SMBX to test it every time?
I usually just have it open in the normal editor and reload it. There is a trick you can use, though. When the SMBX editor goes from play mode back into edit mode, it reloads the level. It also pauses if the window loses focus. Whenever I test, I always try to switch back to Wohl's editor before the death animation finished. That way, the next time I tab to SMBX, it loads the new version automatically.
Zygl

Post by Zygl »

Hoeloe wrote:
Shinoda wrote:Messing around with Wohl's editor right now. It's MUCH better but is there a way to actually test the level without having to either reopen the level in the normal editor or loading SMBX to test it every time?
I usually just have it open in the normal editor and reload it. There is a trick you can use, though. When the SMBX editor goes from play mode back into edit mode, it reloads the level. It also pauses if the window loses focus. Whenever I test, I always try to switch back to Wohl's editor before the death animation finished. That way, the next time I tab to SMBX, it loads the new version automatically.
It also reloads the level when it goes from edit mode to play mode, so all you really have to do is tell it not to save when it asks if you want to save before testing.
Validon98
Echoing Birdsong
Pronouns: they/them

Post by Validon98 »

Oh, you can test levels that way? Recently what I've done was throw all of my levels into a world map hub, and then open the level in-game after having saved it in PGE. On the other hand, that doesn't allow for testing with Big Mario or something.
Because Touhou OCs can in fact exist, sounds fake I know.

I can't change my username but I go by Vali/Claire now (aka call me Vali or Claire at your leisure ^^).

I never update this currently playing section anymore, it's probably an RPG or something.

Strawberry Bose Partial Translations and Patches!
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

I can run both editors open at the same time, so I don't really need to switch between them.
Gyra Solune
the feared barbarian

Post by Gyra Solune »

It's time for the 2015 tower of criticisms. ...I'll be honest, not as catchy as yacht of opinions. For 2016 we'll need a better word. Like mausoleum, or fjord.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Gyra Solune wrote:It's time for the 2015 tower of criticisms. ...I'll be honest, not as catchy as yacht of opinions. For 2016 we'll need a better word. Like mausoleum, or fjord.
Will this Tower be Biased? :P
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Gyra Solune
the feared barbarian

Post by Gyra Solune »

I do not know what that refers to!
SomethingFawful
Has Chortles

Post by SomethingFawful »

Okay, this thought is still very much dependant on what the level name and 2 characters I get are, you mentioned that the hub would have filters. Are these going to be the automatic-select-characters ones a-la A2MBXT, or simple character block walls as they were in the first MaGLX? I have a few ideas where which character filter will be used will actually make a difference.
Sturg
Gets his freak on with VGM
First name: sturgyman

Post by Sturg »

If you have a preference, then I'd mention that when submitting the level (or a readme.txt can do). More than likely though, I'm thinking luna filters will probably be used.
ImageImage
Image ImageImage
RIP FISH NIPPLE BANNER
FlockOfWingedDoors
Rolling Initiative...

Post by FlockOfWingedDoors »

Okay y'all, question about music. What kind of music is allowed in the level/do I need to source it somewhere to avoid copyright penalties?

If this was somewhere already I apologize, I looked and didn't see concrete info.
It's easier than 2by2 matrix multiplication.
Dog In Da Grass
Woof!
First name: Dog
Pronouns: that dog

Post by Dog In Da Grass »

Suddenly lurking back out of the shadows cause i'm super excited about level making and stuff! I should of stuck around during Christmas, I would of totally sent raocow something for the advent calendar!
:pal: Image :pal:

ano0maly
Discord User

Re:

Post by ano0maly »

FlockOfWingedDoors wrote:Okay y'all, question about music. What kind of music is allowed in the level/do I need to source it somewhere to avoid copyright penalties?

If this was somewhere already I apologize, I looked and didn't see concrete info.
I'm pretty sure you're free to use the music you want, but you want to avoid the most popular stuff that stand out easily for copyright stuff.

This reply is an excuse to say why are all of your posts not displaying the post subject
FlockOfWingedDoors
Rolling Initiative...

ano0maly wrote:
FlockOfWingedDoors wrote:Okay y'all, question about music. What kind of music is allowed in the level/do I need to source it somewhere to avoid copyright penalties?

I'm pretty sure you're free to use the music you want, but you want to avoid the most popular stuff that stand out easily for copyright stuff.

This reply is an excuse to say why are all of your posts not displaying the post subject
I...Should I be having to put it in manually? Sorry I didn't notice, a noob to all things talkhaus rn.
FlockOfWingedDoors
Rolling Initiative...

Horikawa Otane wrote:

I mean, if you want to include a .txt file with the credits for your music, I'll include it in your level folder. I suppose it's the right thing to do, though I'm not requiring it.

As for music - don't worry about it. As long as it isn't like... The latest Beyonce song, you're fine. Try to avoid things with lyrics unless you know they're okay to use as a general rule.
Thanks a bunch guys!
Rumis
Rumielle

Post by Rumis »

This whole not being a lurker-thing is pretty hard. I finally got myself to try Mario designin' out though.
I'm having some issues figuring out how to get the camera to scroll. Other than that Wohl editor is pretty new-user-friendly!
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Rumis wrote:This whole not being a lurker-thing is pretty hard. I finally got myself to try Mario designin' out though.
I'm having some issues figuring out how to get the camera to scroll. Other than that Wohl editor is pretty new-user-friendly!
Completely off-topic but what's your avatar from?
Rumis
Rumielle

Post by Rumis »

Alice wrote:Completely off-topic but what's your avatar from?
I have no idea. It comes from my huge picture folder full of pictures I randomly found online. Sorry.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Rumis wrote:
Alice wrote:Completely off-topic but what's your avatar from?
I have no idea. It comes from my huge picture folder full of pictures I randomly found online. Sorry.
It's Anzu Futaba from THE iDOLM@STER: Cinderella Girls.
FlockOfWingedDoors
Rolling Initiative...

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a first time level maker?

I've been watching our friendly neighbourhood MOO play these for a while, but designing and observing are two different things, I expect.
Lunikyuu
I forgot what I was going to put here after MaGL X3

Post by Lunikyuu »

FlockOfWingedDoors wrote:I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a first time level maker?

I've been watching our friendly neighbourhood MOO play these for a while, but designing and observing are two different things, I expect.
There are some articles at the bottom of the first post of the signup thread, and there's a thread here that may be helpful

also a couple things from personal experience that I'd like to emphasize are: have other people test your level and give feedback about areas that could be improved or seem too frustrating, it really does help; also, it's very easy for you as the creator of your level to underestimate how hard your level actually is... just... trust me on that part :lol: