(shouting)

Commom Pool dungeons: The Flipper and Boomerang dungeons

... zelda
jayScribble
FEEL THE FORCE
Pronouns: it, they, that

Commom Pool dungeons: The Flipper and Boomerang dungeons

Post by jayScribble »

Posting here one more time, here's both the flipper and boomerang dungeon that you can help improve and have yourself be included in making this collab:

Flipper Dungeon:
A water temple with an underground lake. When reaching a certain location, the player is locked and must use the flipper to escape the dungeon, and can face against the boss blocking the way out.
Improvements to do:
  • Improve the lake section with diving mechanics.
  • Fill empty rooms.
FlipperDungeon.zip
(883.14 KiB) Downloaded 242 times
Boomerang Dungeon:
A hunter's retreat where the boomerang throwing enemies inhabit. Revisits are needed to collect both boomerangs.
The hidden third boomerang is hidden and a wall must be bombed to access it.
Improvements to do:
  • Fill in empty rooms.
  • Improve puzzles.
BoomerangDungeon.zip
(875.97 KiB) Downloaded 231 times
Claim a dungeon (or both if you're daring) that you want to improve. If you can make a better dungeon different than the ones posted here, I'll be glad to test it and accept it if it passes.
Have a 3DS friend code and PM me if you added me: 1289-8788-1766
Three important threads for me:
jayScribble
FEEL THE FORCE

Re: Commom Pool dungeons: The Flipper and Boomerang dungeons

Post by jayScribble »

Since this is the "official" Boomerang dungeon thread, I'll post my testing report with this version of the dungeon: Download

A super late
testing update,
which is kinda great,
but I sort of deserve the hate.

Anyway, to the report:

I was not expecting certain things within this dungeon after leaving it to Nabe. Plenty of things to report(All within the spoilers):
I was not expecting this part at all: this caught me by surprise.

"Platforming 2hard4me."
In all seriousness, the timing of those popout platforms are really strict (not to mention the attached cannons sending you back down if you're on the edge), but luckily you get to bypass this section if you hit the switch beforehand at the beginning of the dungeon if you get the boomerang(or banana if I remember).

Something minor, but the star block wasn't very clear on what direction I have to push it at first, but then I see the half block and squeezed between them and pushed down. A new player would have think that Link is one tile large, but his walking hitbox is the lower half of that.

The start of my woes. The bottom path seems to be the easiest, but those whirlwinds are the bane for me in this section of the dungeon. During testing, I was using the intended dungeon route, and the whirlwinds keep sending me back to the start of the first section (beyond the sidescrolling section). I had to take the blue warp outside to get to the correct location.

Tricky positioning puzzle with that moving platform, which should be easy if it weren't for those meddling Keeses. It took me a few more replays to get back to my last death area to realize I could hit that switch on the top left.

The hardest room in this section, due to the timing needed to hit those switches. The door is not immune to the whirlwinds, and as a result, I was warped back to the beginning (before I took the blue warp panel).

Another bug: I assume that the blue platform below was suppose to move, but it never did. I might be overthinking this, but this kinda stopped progress for me in this section, so I resorted to warping to the third segment.

...which was stopped because I couldn't get back. (Also, I assumed that I should have the Chakram at this point, due to the star block being too far for the bananas to reach them.)

Let's just say I died more to this part more than I wanted to.

These guys are silly, both in terms of design and AI.

More of my problem and not the dungeon layout itself: due to a button input bug with Z, Up, and Left pressed at the same time not allowing the Z to be registered, and as a result I cannot throw my newly claimed fire chakram to the topleft and get whatever prize it was suppose to give me. Also, If I fell off, I would warp back to the door and exit the room for some reason.

I remember those Goriyas throwing bananas before...
Overall, a really challenging dungeon with a few surprises, but a few bugs kind of stopped my progress in the latter two parts of the dungeon.
Nabe
Still working on AZCT
https://nabe.talkhaus.com/

Post by Nabe »

How long ago was this, just wondering? Because most of these bugs should have been fixed in the most recent version, I was pretty sure. I'm not on my comp to compare atm.
Lejes
https://lejes.talkhaus.com/

Post by Lejes »

Out of curiosity, what did you do to fix the problem of the holelava script placing you on top of shutters?
jayScribble
FEEL THE FORCE

Post by jayScribble »

Nabe wrote:How long ago was this, just wondering? Because most of these bugs should have been fixed in the most recent version, I was pretty sure. I'm not on my comp to compare atm.
The one around 4 days ago within the dropbox, but the test was conducted around 5 hours from this post.

Then again, I was testing the raw level within the dropbox and not within the overworld.
Nabe
Still working on AZCT

Post by Nabe »

Lejes wrote:Out of curiosity, what did you do to fix the problem of the holelava script placing you on top of shutters?
There's a built-in FFC script that can be used to warp Link to its position after hitting a pit. I believe all the situations where that issue takes place in the dungeon are screens that can only be entered from one direction, so that was sufficient to mimic the normal behaviour. It would be possible to add in a clause in the script that checks for all Shutter types as well, if that benefits anyone -- I'd just like to avoid creating any connections between scripts, wherever possible.

@Jay, I think I've got an idea how to fix all of these; I'll do a fix and report in here tomorrow.
Nabe
Still working on AZCT

Post by Nabe »

Alrighty. I've applied all of these fixes to the Overworld version of the dungeon, because importing it again would be a bit of a hassle. There's a Debug room one screen below the starting point on the overworld, and the portal labelled D7 in there now leads to the second part of the Boomerang minidungeon. (D6 mimics the normal entrance.) If you want to check it out, make sure to grab the relevant items from the Debug room before entering D7.

I've added some comments (bolded) in your quote below.
jayScribble wrote:
I was not expecting this part at all: this caught me by surprise.
:mrgreen:

"Platforming 2hard4me."
In all seriousness, the timing of those popout platforms are really strict (not to mention the attached cannons sending you back down if you're on the edge), but luckily you get to bypass this section if you hit the switch beforehand at the beginning of the dungeon if you get the boomerang(or banana if I remember).
The timing is very tight. I'll work on it soon.

Something minor, but the star block wasn't very clear on what direction I have to push it at first, but then I see the half block and squeezed between them and pushed down. A new player would have think that Link is one tile large, but his walking hitbox is the lower half of that.
Should be clearer now.

The start of my woes. The bottom path seems to be the easiest, but those whirlwinds are the bane for me in this section of the dungeon. During testing, I was using the intended dungeon route, and the whirlwinds keep sending me back to the start of the first section (beyond the sidescrolling section). I had to take the blue warp outside to get to the correct location.
The warps have been fixed.

Tricky positioning puzzle with that moving platform, which should be easy if it weren't for those meddling Keeses. It took me a few more replays to get back to my last death area to realize I could hit that switch on the top left.
The changes I've made to this screen in the Overworld update should improve the clarity significantly.

The hardest room in this section, due to the timing needed to hit those switches. The door is not immune to the whirlwinds, and as a result, I was warped back to the beginning (before I took the blue warp panel).
I've replaced the whirlwinds here with more bananas. I had been thinking myself that the timing was too tight. I'm not entirely happy with the screen even then.

Another bug: I assume that the blue platform below was suppose to move, but it never did. I might be overthinking this, but this kinda stopped progress for me in this section, so I resorted to warping to the third segment.
I think this screen might have been unclear because of how much there was going on. I've pared it down somewhat in this update. Judging from the screenshot however, there's no bug. I should also mention, there's a similar "puzzle" in another room nearby.

...which was stopped because I couldn't get back. (Also, I assumed that I should have the Chakram at this point, due to the star block being too far for the bananas to reach them.)
Being locked in is intentional, the assumption being that the player could use the Whistle or save and quit if they really want to stop, but otherwise should feel compelled to figure out what's going on in that handful of rooms. I don't know how you managed to get back to that screen from where you were in the previous screenshot, though...

Let's just say I died more to this part more than I wanted to.

These guys are silly, both in terms of design and AI.

More of my problem and not the dungeon layout itself: due to a button input bug with Z, Up, and Left pressed at the same time not allowing the Z to be registered, and as a result I cannot throw my newly claimed fire chakram to the topleft and get whatever prize it was suppose to give me. Also, If I fell off, I would warp back to the door and exit the room for some reason.
The warp bug has been fixed -- that said, the only prize is exiting the room. :D The input bug sounds like a hardware issue common to some keyboards: if possible, please test the webapp at http://www.microsoft.com/appliedscience ... ained.mspx to confirm that to be the case.

I remember those Goriyas throwing bananas before...
Yeah. Enemy Boomerangs on the screen will change to whatever Boomerang Link currently has. Visually, that can be changed with a bit of careful scripting, and I'd like to do that in the final game. I don't think there's any way to change the physical behaviour short of scripting custom Goriyas, though. (Which
Were there any parts other than those I've changed that you thought were perhaps too challenging or not fun?
jayScribble
FEEL THE FORCE

Post by jayScribble »

Since this is technically the thread of the boomerang dungeon:

I've tested the dungeon so far: the testing conditions were something else, mainly due to the Big key not available within the second part of it. However that shouldn't be the problem if the entire thing has been played out. (I've also rebinded my directional keys to prevent the arrow buttons glitch, so the room I was stuck in before is now a non-issue)

There are some things to report, but that's when I actually get screenshots(I forgot to take them during play).
Nabe
Still working on AZCT

Post by Nabe »

I promise there's a Big Key in the second segment. It's technically another dungeon, the one from the first segment wouldn't work.

Running from now 'til Canada Day!