(shouting)

Chaoxys sprite stuff place

so this is where you can post any art related type things! i bet you couldn't have figured that out for yourself, huh! "I" still needs uppercase you dummy - oh yeah!? fight me!
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Re: Midas Machine stuff place

Post by Leet »

It is good to see Demo's knee-sniffing kept alive after it vanished after ASMT good job
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Heraga

Post by Heraga »

Common dude! Just remake Asmt in MM to keep all of us happy! That way you can finish MM an then workon AMMT that way we will be happier!
Chaoxys
Shocking, it's it?

Post by Chaoxys »

Now what would be the fun in reamking ASMT when a brand new game could be made, maybe resusing the graphics from all the bosses that were dropped from MM, along with other dropped concepts and what not...

But again, I'm not even considering making a full on ASMT game until after MM.
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Bwarch »

Just. Don't even feel like you have to respond to Ningamer there if they're being that dumb about a recommendation. Of course it's a dumb idea to remake something instead of making your own thing and having fun with creating a new experience.

And yeah, I'm still super hyped about MM and feel it's going to create quite the smash, maybe even in the talkhaus community.
Chaoxys
Shocking, it's it?

Post by Chaoxys »

Glad you hear you are looking forward to it. We still have a bit of work ahead of us but I really think the end result will be worth it. Granted, I'm not aiming for it to be some mind blowing amazing game, I just want it to be something that everyone can enjoy.

EDIT- It is now in my head canon that Demo has dozens of hats/head gear that she puts on during given situations.

Seriously though, due to the lack of arms and what not, it's sort of hard to make quirky little animations with her, so I feel that adding little things like that helps. Plus it's adorable.
Chaoxys
Shocking, it's it?

Post by Chaoxys »

The complete(ish) MM styled Demo sprite sheet! It kept shrinking the main sheet so I had to just post it as a link.

Heres some Demo sprites. Since this sheet was based over Mario's MM sheet, there are a few repeated frames and oddities to prevent any issues if this is ever slipped into MM (which as of right now, it most likely won't be, at least not as a playable character). I will see to it however that she cameos in some way shape or form.

EDIT- Not that I don't trust anyone, but if this is ever used in MM or some sort of ASMMT type game, it'd be best to not have people using it in their personal games first, so I'm taking down the main sheet just to be safe.
Last edited by Chaoxys 9 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Heraga

Post by Heraga »

If I used this sprites in a fangame, and gave you credit, would you allow it?
Chaoxys
Shocking, it's it?

Post by Chaoxys »

I'd actually rather you didn't on the off chance that there is some sort of ASMMT or whatever. It'd make them feel a lot less special if they popped up in another game or two before hand.
Friendly Dictator
rad
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Friendly Dictator »

Minecart Demo is the cutest thing
Chaoxys
Shocking, it's it?

Post by Chaoxys »

Added a watermark to the base sheet just to be safe.
http://i.imgur.com/x7oPA3o.png

EDIT- I'm not sure how accurate this skeletal structure is to your average cycloptal space demon.
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend

Post by Bwarch »

Minecart Demo and electrified Demo give me the strength to go on living.
Chaoxys
Shocking, it's it?

Post by Chaoxys »

Then my work here is done.

*Hops on horse and rides into the sunset*

Just updated my avatar. It's Demo's full idle (while in the water), including her doing a little dance. As you can see a few posts back, I made an alternate version of her while she's underwater.

This'll probably be my last Demo based post for now. Gotta get back to work on the actually MM type things.
Sorel
In the shadows
First name: Alexander
Pronouns: he/him/his

Midas Machine stuff place

Post by Sorel »

Wow these sprites look really good. I like them <3
GlitchedGhost

Post by GlitchedGhost »

Can I just say your sprite work is really, really nice? I'm jealous.
He captured!
raocow wrote:last night I had a dream where I finally understood what a 'birb' is, and turns out it's a collyflower
swirlybomb
a bomb that is swirly
First name: Swirlus Bomberton

Post by swirlybomb »

*ADORABLE*

Hopefully I'll get to play the demo tomorrow, since it's a holiday!
anonymousbl00dlust wrote:All the obstacles in my level can be beaten on the players first attempt without any 'future predicting'.
Chaoxys
Shocking, it's it?

Post by Chaoxys »

swirlybomb wrote:*ADORABLE*

Hopefully I'll get to play the demo tomorrow, since it's a holiday!
As I said before, I hope you enjoy it, and please keep in mind that there has been a number of changes to the game that aren't present in the demo.

It's probably also worth mentioning that we are adding a brand new level to world 1 for the final version. It's a Captain Toad level.
Heraga

Post by Heraga »

How many Captian Toad Levels Will There Be?
Chaoxys
Shocking, it's it?

Post by Chaoxys »

Tough to say really. Right now most major gimmicks will have about 3-5 levels dedicated to them in the main game (gimmicks like Rocket Barrels, Minecarts, Rolling Ball, Captain Toad, Dash Pepper, ect), so he will most likely fall in that area (probably closer to 5 than anything else). The thing is that all of these gimmicks can also show up in other levels, they just won't be the focus of said level, more so a little bonus room, so for example, where most Captain Toad levels are large and have you collecting Key Coins, a bonus room with Captain Toad might simply have you making your way through a small room to get a Goldshroom.

Of course, none of these includes the post game, so there may be even more in the end, but we haven't planned anything out with the post game yet so who knows.
Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Post by Rixithechao »

So I've been following this thread but I'm not sure if I've officially been "following" it.

*le post*

There we go!

Awesome jorb with everything, man. And I've gone ahead and added the Midas Machine engine to my mental list of potential future A-underscore-underscore-T engines that I'll need to outperform with Moonpepper whenever I get back to working on that muwahahahaha
Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend

Post by Bwarch »

Beep boop doin' a thing for the demo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bz_mLUCy4pA
Chaoxys
Shocking, it's it?

Post by Chaoxys »

Bwarch wrote:Beep boop doin' a thing for the demo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bz_mLUCy4pA
Awesome! Also, I'll leave a few notes based on the video (some of these I posted on the video's page itself).
- As sad as it may seem, theres a reason for each tutorial. Each one was put in place to resolve actual complaints we got from numerous people. Yup, even climbing vines.

- Oh yeah, from where you saw those two coins (in the second level), you could have jumped to that leaf platform to your left to get where Mario would end up if you did the wall jump.

- The entire 3rd level has been replaced so that current level is no longer a thing, however, in the demo's version of it, the first mushroom is in the warp pipe with that first Piranha Plant.

- Mushroom Gorge was the original name of Mushroom Canyon, thats just a little slip up on our part (glad you caught it though).

- As for unique enemies and what not, I'm afraid the first world does play it fairly safe (although we are adding a Captain Toad level in it so theres that). It wasn't really to keep it "authentic" though, it was more so for the sake of the plot, as dumb as that may sound

We tried to lead the player into believing that Bowser was behind the attack on the castle at the start, so to add to that, we focused on having more traditional Koopa Troop baddies all over.

- One of the reasons there aren't many crazy gimmicks or anything in the first world is because, as one would expect, the first world was made first, and at the time we didn't have as many things planned (the game originally was going to be very simple, like SMB simple). I'd be hesitant to add anything crazy at this point as it'd feel shoehorned in, however, I wouldn't flat out say no to something like that, I'd just have to find a way to do with without it feeling out of place. Of course, as it stands now, the point of the first world is to give you lots of situations to learn the unique physics of the game.

EDIT- Oh, you fell on it a bit fast, but that thing you got after beating the boss was the key needed for the Town Gate, as of right now in the game, the mushroom don't do anything, they are just there to collect, so don't feel pressured to get them all.

Also, just to save you some time, I'll give you some hits and what not:

The second mushroom in the first level requires Wario to get, hence the "A good charge from the side" thing.
The second mushroom in the forest requires Mario to get, you already saw where.
I already mentioned where the second mushroom in the canyon is earlier.
The first mushroom in the lake is at the end of the first room, below the pipe.
The first mushroom in the rain forest is underwater early on inside a tree.
If you use a fireball on the bush at the Town Gate, you will unlock a secret entrance to the town (this is hinted at more so in the new version of the canyon level).

Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend

Post by Bwarch »

Chaoxys wrote:As sad as it may seem, theres a reason for each tutorial. Each one was put in place to resolve actual complaints we got from numerous people. Yup, even climbing vines.
You really don't have to go with every criticism from every person y'know, it's usually a bad idea to really have the audience have toooo much of an impact on a game. And some people are just really, really silly. It is a minor gripe however but it is frustrating for me to spend the time to read signs and have it be a hodge podge on what will actually be useful for my knowledge base. I dunno, I get where you're coming from though, so it is a thing I can see going either way.

And that is really great to hear about why first world is meh. HOWEVER, first impressions are just so so so so so important. And I don't know about valuing a story reason over player experience. *shrug*

How long is the demo so I know how long to expect myself to be playing it? And what does collecting both mushrooms in each level actually do at the end of it all?
Chaoxys
Shocking, it's it?

Post by Chaoxys »

Bwarch wrote:
Chaoxys wrote:As sad as it may seem, theres a reason for each tutorial. Each one was put in place to resolve actual complaints we got from numerous people. Yup, even climbing vines.
You really don't have to go with every criticism from every person y'know, it's usually a bad idea to really have the audience have toooo much of an impact on a game. And some people are just really, really silly. It is a minor gripe however but it is frustrating for me to spend the time to read signs and have it be a hodge podge on what will actually be useful for my knowledge base. I dunno, I get where you're coming from though, so it is a thing I can see going either way.
Well, the signs weren't put up for single complaints, more so when we got a number of complaints on a single issue (again, yes, the vines stumped a lot of people), however, the levels designs have changed a bit early on so removing some signs probably won't hurt since some of the elements are a bit more obvious.
Bwarch wrote: And that is really great to hear about why first world is meh. HOWEVER, first impressions are just so so so so so important. And I don't know about valuing a story reason over player experience. *shrug*
Oh I know, and honestly, I'm not against updating the levels later on to give them some new elements, but as I've said, my main concern is making sure those elements fit in smoothly and don't feel like they were crammed in for the sake of being there. I will say that the new Captain Toad level will show up early on, so hopefully that will help to shake things up. Outside of that I will do what I can to make the levels a bit more interesting, although please keep in mind that we are somewhat limited on what we can do as we only have 1 programmer. I will say that that imo, things do pick up a bit after world 1. World 2 still has levels that use things from normal Mario games, which, to be fair, this is meant to be a Mario game so it's bound to happen, but there are a number of new things thrown in, and the things that are more basic are used in different ways.
Bwarch wrote: How long is the demo so I know how long to expect myself to be playing it? And what does collecting both mushrooms in each level actually do at the end of it all?
The demo is the first two worlds, after which you can play as Mario, Luigi, Wario, and Waluigi at any time which can allow you to find new secrets, although thats mainly just new mushrooms so it's not too much. You can also play the first level of world 3, although it's an outdated version so yeah, fair warning.
Heraga

Post by Heraga »

Could you give us a history of MM? I would like to know how it started.
Chaoxys
Shocking, it's it?

Post by Chaoxys »

Ningamer wrote:Could you give us a history of MM? I would like to know how it started.
Gather around tiny children and I shall tell you the story of MM.

Well, at first it was going to be a big group project on MFGG. At the time we called it the CFP (Community Fangame Project) and there was going to be two halves of it, one made in GameMaker that would let you play as Mario and Luigi, and one made in CickTeam (I think that was the program), that would let you control Wario and Waluigi, their two stories intertwining throughout the game. The original plot was going to revolve around E. Gadd finding an amulet dropped by Kamek that had his (Kameks) greatx5 grandfather's spirit trapped inside and it was released or something like that. After a while we dropped that and ended up getting to the current plot. For a while, things were going real good, we had lots of people spriting, lots of people programing, ect. The general plan was to make the game super simple, having a few special gimmicks, and the only powerups being the fire flower and starman. After a while though, most people wanted to just suggest ideas without actually contributing, and the project died. About a year later, I got in touch with Guinea, the head programmer, and we talked it over and decided to revive things, although at that point we were essentially restarting things, using the groundwork of the CFP to get started. We dropped the idea of having the game made in two programs and what not and from that point focused on flat out making the game, although we ended up adding a lot more gimmicks and enemies than originally planned because, well, I can't keep my mouth shut when I think up something.

Another thing of interest is that each world was going to have about 4 bosses each (3 minibosses and a main boss). The first world, being one of the oldest shows it's age in that it has 3 bosses as it was being made when we still have 4 bosses planned.

Another thing is that Takko was a rather recent addition, all things considered. I was reading an interview from Miyamoto saying how he tries to get something to help the player with their jumps, something that helps them fall slower or whatever, so I figured it'd make sense to have something like that, so I came up with the idea of a partner like power up like Yoshi, but, well, not Yoshi.