(shouting)

Yep.

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Bean
Yep.

Re: Yep. (Mega Man Powered Up [Old Style])

Post by Bean »

(2B) Ice Man [Old Style]

This stage makes me glad I'm doing a no-life loss run instead of a no-hit one because Ice Man's stage has one section in it that is unbelievably annoying. The Foot Holders are one of the most annoying things to ever be in any classic Mega Man game because unlike other obstacles to come in the series, their movements are erratic, and this becomes a major problem when you're working without a Magnet Beam safety net. The same holds true for the PSP version as I found out. Oy. Ice Man's no picnic himself since he's one of the two most dangerous bots in the game, but I wasn't losing once I finally managed to get past those floating fiends. Nope.
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Post by YelseyKing »

I don't have a YouTube account, so I'll post here: Do Elecman next! Face your fears! And I assume the "AI breaker" strategy that he falls to in the NES version... doesn't work here, too. Hooray!

So, I just noticed this thread got updated, which is why I missed the last vote. This was the one mode Roahm Mythril didn't LP, so I was definitely eagerly awaiting your LP of it. I wasn't expecting voice commentary, either, so that's a neat little surprise.
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Cool by me if you vote in here. Makes it so the page isn't just covered with my posts anyway. And I hope you're totally wrong about Elec Man not having an easy method to win now as I don't think I'll like that stage otherwise! Might as well get a practice run or two in on him to see.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(3B) Elec Man [Old Style]

Mega Man Powered Up is not too kind to the formerly formidable Elec Man. In New Style mode, his stage was one of the easiest. In Old Style mode, that is kind of holding true as well as there's just so little going against you here. Enemies take too long to fire, others can be avoided, and some were taken out altogether. Even Elec Man's room is changed to make things more peaceful than it was on the NES. He can still fry you in three hits, but he's much easier to avoid that I don't think that will be all that difficult unless you push your luck. I didn't, so on we go.
YelseyKing

Post by YelseyKing »

Well. Elecman was a bit of a dud. Hurf durf.

I vote Fireman next. Because THE FLAMES OF JUSTICE CAN NOT BE EXTINGUISHED!

Moists:

Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(4B) Cut Man [Old Style]

Cut Man wound up taking the penultimate vote, and his stage is pretty easy for the most part. If you haven't played Mega Man before, this is the best stage to start with. There aren't many dangerous spots, and the boss takes the fewest amount of hits from your default weapon. Thank goodness there wasn't a charge shot back in these days, eh, Cut Man? Next!
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(5B) Fire Man [Old Style]

Fire Man's stage is one of those ones that's not too hot to handle or anything, but there are a couple of problem spots if you go with just the P-Shooter. Since that's not how the voting went, we get to take some of that heat off of us. I could keep going with the puns, but I really want to talk about Fire Man and the proper way to fight him. Yes, the Powered Up version is easier as this mode has shown throughout, but this is the exact way to fight him in the NES game without getting in to a fight of the two of you trading hits. Neat, huh?
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(6B) Bomb Man [Old Style]

Not like it was much of a surprise to see this guy go last, even if he's the one you're supposed to take on first. Bomb Man just isn't all that notable for much of anything. Cut Man's got the puns, Guts Man has the muscle, Ice Man's the "cute" one, Fire Man's the wild one, and Elec Man's the awesome one. Bomb Man? He's the one that looks like a bill-less duck with a mohawk that tosses the original Mega Man's worst weapon at you and has a stage that features Sniper Joes. Well, that's good enough for me to put you at the bottom of the list, pal. Seems like the people who voted in this all agree with me. To end with a positive, I do like his fight a lot. It keeps you on your toes.

With all six bots down, I'll be seeing you soon, Wily!
Sorel
In the shadows
First name: Alexander
Pronouns: he/him/his

Yep. (Mega Man Powered Up [Old Style])

Post by Sorel »

Good job taking those 6 bots down.

When you play the game it always looks so easy... but when I play it I can't even reach the shutter.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Thanks for the compliment, and it's okay. There are some games you're good at and others where you aren't. I used to be in the second category with Mega Man up until a few years ago. Really, it just takes practice and patience because you'll make mistakes along the way. I made tons of them in the Ice Man recording a few videos back, but you didn't get to see those. So yeah. And to be fair, a lot of Mega Man games can be hard in spots anyway, so don't get discouraged when you can't get to the boss. That's how these games work!
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(7B) Wily 1, 2, & 3 [Old Style]

Been a little slow with this part of the project, so it's time to take down three stages at once. All three stages have something in common in that they are all much easier than they used to be. Everything just moves at a snail's pace compared to the old NES days, and it really shows in all the boss fights. Just watch as they struggle to do much of anything against Mega Man here today. They just don't build these killer fortress robot thingamajigs like they used to, huh? Next time's the final stage. See you there!
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(8B) The Old Original Final Battle

He tried. He really did, but Dr. Wily received little to no assistance from Mega Man Powered Up's engine in this part of the playthrough. Outside of the one segment in Ice Man's stage, everything was easier. Today, Mega Man and I will put the doc out of his misery with a quick run of the final stage in this fortress. We do get a boss rush, but we know how to beat them easily enough. On top of that, this isn't a no damage run like the New Style mode one was, so this is pretty much a foregone conclusion.

To join in Dr. Wily's misery, I finally edited out all of the Viddler links on the first page from that long list of games I've done over the years on the Talkhaus. Okay, it's less misery and more OCD finally kicking in, but work with me here. In any case, Challenge mode will be next in this series, but I think I'll wait a little bit before coming back to this one again. Until then, peace.
Sorel
In the shadows
First name: Alexander
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Sorel »

...wow these final stages looked way too easy. I mean, even I could beat them. In old style mode at least...

Let's see how Challenge mode will turn out, probably as the name implies a bit harder than that.
Former active member, yearly lurker now.
YelseyKing

Post by YelseyKing »

Well. Old Style mode was kind of... weak. It did look enjoyable, but... yeah, basically all the *challenge* seems to be gone. Shots not being able to pass through walls, shots being slower in general, enemies taking fewer shots to kill... The fact that the yashichi was still present in the last stage was also somewhat amusing... as there's really not much point to *getting* it, with the way Powered Up works. I'm surprised, though, that you still don't get any energy refills after the boss re-fights. That fact alone, combined with the game's natural difficulty level, made that part an absolute nightmare on the original. Shudder.

And, now I'm curious as to what NES-style versions of Oilman and Timeman's stages would be like.

Moists:

Bean
Yep.

Re: Yep. (NP: Mega Man Powered Up)

Post by Bean »

Beats me on what Oil Man's stage would be like since I don't think they could do the slipping gimmick very well. Time Man would probably be a combination of Elec (vertical), Metal (conveyors), and Flash Man's (the cannon enemies) stages. That would not be fun to go through. Ha-ha.

I did do a Challenge Mode preview in October. I completed that mode off a couple of days after posting that video, but editing all those video clips together is not something I want to do this year. Nope. So yes, it's much harder than Old Style, and I'd say that it was the most difficult part of the series to record since you have ten challenges for the nine main playable characters and then ten boss rush challenges after all that to round that total out to 100.
Bean
Yep.

Re: Yep. (NP: Contra)

Post by Bean »

Contra

Decided to stream Contra last week for a friend. After mulling it over and Hitbox allowing me to port videos to YT properly again, here it is.
Bean
Yep.

Re: Yep. (NP: Mega Man Powered Up Prototype)

Post by Bean »

Oil Man Canceled Prototype Stage

It's been a while since we've had a look at Mega Man Powered Up, so let's have another one, but it may not be one you're familiar with. Long story short, this was what was originally going to be Powered Up and a couple of other games, but we all know that the best laid plans often go to waste. For instance, I thought this project was only going to last a year, and yet we're coming up on that point now with me only halfway done. That's why I made sure to whip up this bonus video to keep you all informed of the troubled development that would eventually be put aside for the PSP classic we all know and love. Yes, indeed.
Bean
Yep.

Re: Yep. (Mega Man Powered Up [Challenge Mode])

Post by Bean »

(1C) Mega Man - #1-10 [Challenge Mode]

Mega Man Powered Up's Challenge mode features 100 different tests for all our bots to go through. Mega and his eight bros get ten per set with the final ten being dedicated to boss rushes. I'll go out of order and mix in the boss rushes after character challenges so you aren't stuck with ten straight videos of that. Really, now.

Mega Man's set is pretty simple overall outside of that blasted seventh mission. You will learn to loathe Octo Batteries by the time these challenges are through... but at least they're not Sniper Joes.
Last edited by Bean 8 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(10C) Boss Attack! - #91 [Challenge Mode]

Seeing as how the last ten missions in Challenge mode are similar, I felt it best to alternate updates between character sets and boss rushes. In this case, Mega steps up to bat first as he takes on all the Robot Masters in an Old Style mode specific test. I think it's more forgiving than in the actual game since you get health pickups after every fight, and surprisingly, I kind of needed them. Let's play better next time, me.
Last edited by Bean 8 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(2C) Cut Man - #11-20 [Challenge Mode]

With this video, we finally get to play as someone other than Mega Man in Powered Up. Robot Masters aren't simple palette swaps as they all come with their own unique abilities. Cut Man's claim to fame is that he can wall jump. It's easy at first, but it gets a lot more tricky once enemies, ice, and moving objects all come into play as we move along. Seriously, cut it out with the pendulum platforming, game.
Last edited by Bean 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(11C) Easy Boss Attack! - #92 [Challenge Mode]

Cut Man takes on a challenge that is beneath his skill level and utterly wrecks it. I think this is easier than the first boss rush challenge since you don't have to worry about any bot chopping off ten bars of health with one hit. No, we've got it pretty easy this time. Good.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(3C) Guts Man - #21-30 [Challenge Mode]

Guts Man proves that looks can be deceiving because even though he's got that manly frame with the positively recognizable rear, you'd think his challenges would mostly be about strong-arming the competition. That's not the case as a good many of them instead focus on platforming puzzles. That cap's not just for construction work anymore. Now you have to do some thinking on the job. Fun stuff, actually.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(12C) Normal Boss Attack! - #93 [Challenge Mode]

Guts Man is one big bot, so you think he'd be up for a fight. Eh... He's definitely not the best choice to go into a boss rush with, but if I wanted to be boring and use Mega Man for every one of these things, I would've. Anyway, the Guts Blocks can create some funny situations that break his bros' AI in a big way. Try and figure out where the biggest of those breaks happens.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(4C) Ice Man - #31-40 [Challenge Mode]

Ice Man can use his enemies as frozen stepping stones once the Ice Slasher hits them. You only get a couple of seconds before they break out, but that's usually more than enough time to get to where you want to go. The hardest parts are when those enemies are placed in precarious positions. I don't recall having too much trouble with this set outside of the very last one's final section. Ice Man's top tier, and it shows.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(13C) Hard Boss Attack! - #94 [Challenge Mode]

Already said that Ice Man is great to play as, but no matter who you go with for the Hard Boss Attack, it's going to live up to its name. Bosses on hard mode can use their critical attacks after being hit just once, and they will use them multiple times in a row in some cases. They're also not knocked down by their weaknesses anymore, so even Mega Man would have to watch out here. Going with Ice Man is silly for me since Bomb Man has caused me trouble ever since the first fight of the New Style no-hit run. With this video, it's time for redemption.