(shouting)

Grand Battle - Round Three: Channel Twenty-Nine

...or in other words: post-whoring
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Grand Battle - Round Three: Channel Twenty-Nine

Post by Dragon Fogel »

Her name was Methuselah.

She'd never cared much for it, even before she was old enough to understood what the priests meant by "prophetic". But over thousands of years, she had come to grudgingly accept her name.

And Methuselah had work to do. Technically, it was a destiny, but she had no fondness for that concept. Somewhere in her twenty-five hundreds, she'd decided to just pretend that what she was fated to do was the same as what she wanted to do. It was easier that way.

More specifically, she had three destinies, because of course prophecies came in threes. But she had already achieved the first two - she had attained immortality, and she had gained dominion over her entire universe. As destinies to be saddled with went, you could do worse, even if it did mean being stuck with the name Methuselah.

But there was still that final task, the one that would complete the prophecy. With the vast knowledge and power she had acquired over five thousand years, she had learned that there was more than one universe in existence, and her third destiny - or objective, as she would quickly tell you - was to rule the rest of them.

She was getting close. She had learned to start manipulating the boundaries between worlds. But her new powers were, so far, depressingly limited. She couldn't move her vast army through a gateway to another universe in order to subjugate it; she could only move a few beings at a time. Maybe twenty if she concentrated. And she had so few ideas for how to progress them further.

On top of it all, she was bored. She'd taken too much control in this universe - with every generation, her subjects grew less and less able to think for themselves. In twenty years, they'd need her to tell them when to breathe.

And with as much work as she had to do between managing an entire universe, and training with her new abilities, Methuselah was starved for entertainment in her free time. She had already exhausted her entire universe's supply of reading material, save for some boring holy texts about her written since her ascension.

It hadn't taken her long to come up with the idea of gathering new books during her daily training sessions. Around half of these were dull reference books that ultimately didn't teach her anything new, or at least relevant to her conquest of the other universes. Much of the rest were simply shallow tripe trying to pass as literature.

But a few had been genuinely interesting. Enough to make it worth keeping up the habit. Today's book, in particular, had been selected because of the blurb on the back describing it as "an epic interdimensional journey". Methuselah hoped it might offer more instructions on how dimensional travel worked, perhaps covering advanced techniques.

Disappointingly, that was not what the book was about. But as Methuselah read it, she found something even more intriguing.

The book was about a battle. A battle between contestants from many different universes, being carried from one world to another by a powerful extradimensional being. He had taken them from their homeworlds, and was sending them to various hostile locales, forcing them to fight each other until only one survived.

Methuselah smiled slightly. Perhaps there was another way to entertain herself after all.

So you may be wondering what a Grand Battle is and what it has to do with that lengthy introduction up there.

In short, it's a battle to the death with words.

More specifically, it's kind of a blend of a roleplay and a writing contest. If you want to join, all you have to do is come up with a character and fill out a form describing them, and then they'll be entered in a battle to the death where their survival depends on your skill as a right. I'm limiting signups to eight, but if there's a lot of interest we can just do another battle. If there are less than eight, we'll just have a shorter battle. I'm flexible.

Further rules and details in here, in the form of questions from a hypothetical interested person:
Do I really need to read that long introduction?

Strictly speaking, no. The short version is a lady named Methuselah who runs a universe is making a bunch of people fight to the death and you can write for one of those people if you're interested. That said, you're free to use the stuff I write about her as a jumping-off point for plot in an actual round. You're also free to ignore it. Basically, the players can develop Methuselah to an extent, or just do nothing at all regarding her while she tosses them to various exciting locales.

So what sort of character can you make?

Any kind at all! I'm on a forum where these have really taken off - I myself entered an undead vacuum cleaner in the first battle.

And won.

Since then, other contestants have included a sentient pile of trash, a straw doll with two dragon heads for arms, a living meatball that slowly turns other things into meat, a man made of rock who's experiencing a time-loop in which he's won the battle countless times before, the worst witch in the world, a swarm of insects that devour themselves constantly but reproduce fast enough to make up for it, a haunted chainsaw, an average family and their RV, a demon-possessed typewriter, and too many bearded swordsmen.

So you want me to come up with, I don't know, a dragon made entirely out of pumpkins?

No, it doesn't have to be all about far-out and weird characters. Just come up with any character that you think would be interesting in a battle to the death. All I ask is that you make an honest effort to write for whatever character it is.

I kind of like the idea, but I don't really want to write about a dude who fights.

Just because the story is about fighting doesn't mean your character has to want to fight, or be good at fighting. Characters who are opposed to the very idea of a battle to the death can really make things interesting. My undead vacuum cleaner was only interested in cleaning at the start of the battle.

I already have a character for a story/novel/game/other thing, can I enter them in this?

If you've come up with a character for something else and want to use them in this, that's fine. I'd recommend either developing a new character or using one you've got an idea for but haven't done anything with yet, but what matters is that the character is one you came up with. Of course, since most of the entrants will die, you should be comfortable with that happening.

Wait, they die? How's that work?

The gimmick here is that your character's survival depends on your writing ability. In each round, the player with the weakest writing will be eliminated, and their character will be killed. The eliminated player gets the first chance to write their deathpost, but this can be done by someone else for the sake of moving things.

Well, that sounds neat. But who's judging the writing?

I am. Or, to be more specific: I'll accept opinions from anyone reading the battle, but I get the final say in who's out each round. However, if several people suggest that I eliminate someone and I decide to eliminate someone else, I'll explain my reasoning.

What sort of things are you looking for in the writing then?

A related note for people to consider in giving opinions: Strength of storytelling is more important than style or grammar, but the latter will be considered as storytelling abilities get more even. (Storytelling is dominant to give people who don't speak English well a fair chance - if they're able to write an interesting story but it's awkwardly worded, they'll stay in over people with good grammar but boring stories.) Also, expect godmoders to be punished.

That sounds neat, but it's kind of impractical. What if I want to fight this guy and they never respond to the first attack? Or if I want to talk and they don't reply to my first line?

Well, this brings me to another neat feature of Grand Battles. You can write for other people's characters.

There are restrictions, of course. You want to try to keep them in character. And you can't just kill another character suddenly - they have to survive until I've announced the deathpost. In fact, any sort of permanent injury to a character is off-limits without the permission of that character's writer - don't make them lose an arm unless they have the power to regenerate, for instance, and if they have a one-of-a-kind magic sword, don't go breaking it.

Permission? What, can I talk to the other writers about the battle?

Yes! Although this is technically a contest, collaboration between writers is actively encouraged. You can work together with other writers to come up with a general plot for the round, or to think of how two of the characters might work together. Just try not to actively leave people out of the planning. (Although I can understand wanting to if they're a really bad writer.) And also try not to plan so strictly that other people can't work in their own ideas.

Wait, what if I want to write someone but somebody else suddenly pops down a post that contradicts everything I was planning?

This is handled with a reserve system. Basically, before you make the actual story post, you make a post that says "reserve" and other people know you're working on it. Then you can edit your post into the reserve post, or delete the reserve post and then post the story. (Doesn't work the other way around because you can't delete your own posts in the middle of a thread.) The latter is better because it both keeps the thread clear of reserves and makes it clear that a new story post is up.

Please don't chain reserves, that just makes things inconvenient for people not involved in the chain. Also try not to take too long on a reserve; I'm going to tentatively say 24 hours, subject to adjustment based on the overall pace of the battle. That's not something easy to predict.

Can I fix up a post after making it?

You can clean up spelling and grammar errors, and you can correct continuity errors as long as the post is recent. If you mess up on something in Round One and it's a problem three rounds later, well, I'm probably not going to let you change things in your first round post. That said, being slightly inconsistent with a previous round probably won't be judged too harshly.
I think that covers the basics, so let's get on with the character profile template. Also in a spoiler because of fairly detailed explanations.
Before I get to the form itself, one important point that I want to be clear on. Methuselah will not be giving anyone any warning before she drags them into the fight. So your character won't know this is going to happen. (Unless you want to make that part of their character concept in some way, such as psychic visions or receiving a warning from the future or something like that.) They'll just be pulled out of their homeworld with whatever they're carrying at the time.

So with that clarification, here's the actual form!

Name: The character's name. If you don't know what a name is, look it up.

Race: Is the character a human? Elf? Robot? Vampire? Hivemind of seaweed in the shape of a duck? Whatever it is, write it here. Anything is acceptable. If it's a made-up race you came up with, you may want to give a brief description of it, though there are other parts of the profile you can fit that into instead.

Gender: Male? Female? Inapplicable? Something else entirely? Note it here.

Text Color: I'll be honest here, I'm mainly including this out of tradition. Basically, you're going to come up with a color and make your posts in that color. The rules here are, don't be too similar to someone else's color and make sure it's readable. As far as similarity goes, I'll make a note of that after I have the lineup filled out.
The main practical function this serves is making it easier to see what's part of the actual battle and what isn't if there ends up being a lot of commentary in the thread.
You can also choose to use another character's color for sections of post involving that character heavily, which may be useful for people skimming through to see what a specific character has been doing. But if that feels like too much trouble, just use your own color for your own posts.
I will be using #6600CC for administrative posts relating to Methuselah, so don't take that one or something too close to it.

Biography: What did the character do before getting flung into a battle? Did they lead a small rebellion to victory against an oppressive empire? Did they fall in love with their greatest enemy? Did they win third place in an archery contest?
This is also a good place to give an explanation of the culture they came from, which can be especially helpful if they're a race you made up.
Don't go overboard here, try to keep it relevant to what people in the battle are going to need to know. But do try to make this interesting to read.

Description: What do they look like? What do they act like? What's their overall personality, and how do they usually react to others?
You can include a picture here if you're so inclined, but it's not necessary. This is a good place to include a physical description of their race if it's something unusual.
Again, don't go overboard; stick to what people will need to know. Personality traits in particular may prove to be quite malleable once you actually put them in a battle and have them interact with other characters.

Weapons and Abilities: What can the character do, on their own or with special equipment? Note that here, as well as any noteworthy stuff they might be carrying with them.
I recommend not having a complex and overly-specific ability system here. If your character is a wizard, leave it at "they can do magic", they can have a theme but shouldn't have a specific list. Don't go on about how they have fourteen different spell levels and can freely cast up to Level 3 but for higher levels they need to dance under the moonlight the night before and to cast above Level 13 they need to be riding a blue horse. That's hard for other people to work with.

Feel free to rearrange the order of the fields. The last three, in particular, may work better in a different order for the purpose of telling the story of your character.
If you want to look at some of the other battles I've alluded to, well, knock yourself out. Be warned that they can get pretty crazy. In particular, Grand Battle Season 2 is not recommended as the first battle you read.

That's about it! Go ahead and make your characters, and feel free to ask me any questions you may have.

Entrants:
-Naizen Imada, AKA Will Glikkorey - FluffiMasta
-Rusto the Scoundrelous - Mikkofier
-Dot Smith - Elgadika
-Tẃre Egelmath - Joseph Staleknight
-Tobasco the Hot Sauce - sedron
-Fishy - Holy
-Chibos - pholtos
-Mato - O'Largill
Last edited by Dragon Fogel 8 years ago, edited 5 times in total.
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
Sorel
In the shadows
First name: Alexander
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: Grand Battle - A Game with Lots of Words

Post by Sorel »

Name: William 'Will' Glikkorey, born as Naizen Imada.

Race: Sentient

Text Color: #004080

Bio: Born as a Sentient, a race of beings made of pure light and dark energies, Naizen, later known as William Glikkorey, grew up as a usual Sentient. That was, until the day he received a calling in his dream: "Beware the future", a faint voice said. Confused about the true meaning of the call, Naizen decided to leave his clan, but in order to do so, he had to exchange his energy form with a mere human body of a young man. After living together with humans, he eventually began to study light, dark and "grey" magic, a mix of light and dark magic with devastating effects. Out of all the students of his school, he was the only one to ever achieve perfection in grey magic, however, using this magic is forbidden in the realm of the Vuldred familly. After graduating from university, he strived to become the advisor of King Tessai Vuldred. Now a high ranking commander in the royal army, he uses his magic to serve his master.
However, the dream he had years ago is still haunting him to this very day, not knowing when it will happen, but one thing is sure: Something bad will happen soon.

Description: Naizen looks like a generic young man, wearing a white gown and a black cape. He has black hair. However, this is how his human body looks like, a true Sentient's body can't be seen by other lifeforms as they are made of pure light and dark energy.
Naizen is a calm and serious person in battles. Even outside of battles he never really changes his character, except when he meets with some of his few friends. Just like every Sentient, he can only talk through telepathy.

Abilities: Naizen is proficient in light, dark and grey magic, but in order to cast grey magic, he has to bypass a seal that was placed on his body.
As Sentients can't be seen by a generic lifeform's eyes, he can render himself invisible for a short amount of time.
He uses a magicaly enhanced glove to fight his enemies, however, the only thing he can do with it is to hit an enemy with a magic impulse.
Former active member, yearly lurker now.
Mikkofier
What about Ron magic?
First name: Mikko J. Fuzzygrumbles

Post by Mikkofier »

Ok, I'll bite. We'll see what comes out of this...

Name: Marcus Llowdin AKA Rusto The Scoundrelous

Race: Human

Text color: #008040

Biography: Operating under the moniker of Rusto The Scoundrelous, Marcus leads an underground resistance group, called the Court of Sewers, against the government of the city-state of Lynd, the leaders of which have been covertly taken over by the otherworldly, mechanical agents of Absolute Order.
Marcus actually killed the original Rusto, who turned out to be an agent of the demonic Endless Chaos and whom Marcus killed to stop his plan to unleash demons to possess everyone in Lynd through a magical ritual. Marcus then took the moniker of his former leader and repurposed the ritual to reveal the true forms of every agent of Absolute Order in the city. The new Rusto has just defeated the leader of the agents when he suddenly disappears...

Description:Underneath the death's head mask of Rusto he is an average looking man with short brown hair. He's dressed in dark clothes, with a black cloak and a wide-brimmed hat.

Abilities: Rusto is an agile fighter, a skilled fencer and magic user.
He carries a rapier, a couple of throwing knives and a notebook that he uses to cast spells. For subtle spells he only needs to draw the correct sigils, focus on them and then either cross them out or otherwise erase them. For more immediate effects (i.e fireballs and such) he'll have to tear out a page and for Curses he needs something belonging to the target, such as blood.
Many people need desperately to receive this message: I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.
-Kurt Vonnegut
Context-free Supper Mario Broth Roulette! NOTE: Potential Jumpscare warning!
Avatar source (for most of them).
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

Thanks for the profiles! I notice that, coincidentally, both characters so far have alternate names. I'm going to have a post introducing the contestants to each other when I kick things off, so could you both let me know which names to use there?

In fact, make a note of anything in particular you want me to keep in mind for the introductory post. For instance, if the character has an ability that you don't want the other characters to know about, (which is not the same as the other writers not knowing about it) just let me know and Methuselah will conveniently leave that out of her introductions.
Sorel
In the shadows

Post by Sorel »

Please use the name Naizen (because no one except himself knows that name)

Also, no one should know that he can turn himself invisible.
Mikkofier
What about Ron magic?

Post by Mikkofier »

Use Rusto.
Many people need desperately to receive this message: I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.
-Kurt Vonnegut
Snakebite969
Absolutely No Step On Snek

Post by Snakebite969 »

This post has been voided for the below reason
OC has been taken into databanks until required again

And when I say databanks I mean tumblr
Last edited by Snakebite969 9 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Poppo wrote:Poppo! Poppo! *clickety-clank* Po! Po! Po! *clickety-clank* Po? Po... Po... Po... Pogyaaaah!!
ImageImage
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

Okay, something I should have made clear in the rules post.

I won't be accepting "Original Characters" in the Sonic sense. By which I mean, leave out the explicit references. You can make a character who's ludicrously Touhou-themed and I won't stop you from trying, but I'm not letting in "Reisen's twin sister".

(now watch as someone tries to enter a really obscure Touhou character just to see if I overlook it)
Snakebite969
Absolutely No Step On Snek

Post by Snakebite969 »

Dragon Fogel wrote:Okay, something I should have made clear in the rules post.

I won't be accepting "Original Characters" in the Sonic sense. By which I mean, leave out the explicit references. You can make a character who's ludicrously Touhou-themed and I won't stop you from trying, but I'm not letting in "Reisen's twin sister".

(now watch as someone tries to enter a really obscure Touhou character just to see if I overlook it)
Damnit I was so close

You've got to admit the sombrero was a nice touch though
Poppo wrote:Poppo! Poppo! *clickety-clank* Po! Po! Po! *clickety-clank* Po? Po... Po... Po... Pogyaaaah!!
ImageImage
july
七月
First name: e!ɡa
Pronouns: she/her

Post by july »

Alright, let's give this a go.

...Now with profile!

Name: Eudocia Domitilla Marcellina Laurentina Smith. Dot for short.

Race: Human.

Text colour: #CC9900

Biography: An average family in an average town, and with an average surname, the Smith family decided to give their only daughter a name that would make her stand out, piling together nearly fifty Latin names; they were eventually talked down to just four, more than enough to prevent Dot's full name from fitting on many official forms, and providing a constant source of embarrassment while growing up. Name aside, however, Dot had a fairly event-free life, working for a local courier business, playing piano as a hobby, and studying part-time.

Description: Dot is somewhat short. She has brown eyes and dark brown hair, which grows quickly but is kept short by regular haircuts, and moderately-fair skin. Her work fairly often requires heavy lifting, so she has surprising strength for her small stature. For work, she wears a pale blue shirt, blue jeans, and a pale blue cap with a company logo on it.

Weapons/Abilities/etc: Dot is surprisingly strong, but not overly so, and can hold her own in a fight; however, such fighting talents are not usually put to use, and Dot would rather avoid any violence if at all possible. She owns an old, beat-up scooter, which she uses both for travel and sometimes for work. As she was in the middle of work when she was whisked away by Methuselah, her scooter, and one of the packages she was supposed to deliver, have followed her to the Grand Battle; her scooter seems to be in even worse condition than before and acting very strangely, and the package seems impossible to open...
Last edited by july 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Joseph Staleknight
ABCDs in Katamari Damacy when

Post by Joseph Staleknight »

Hmm, a literary battle to the death? Worth a shot. Italic paragraphs are initially unknown to the other contestants.

Name: Tẃre (Too-reh) Egelmath. For practical reasons he shall be henceforth referred to as simply "Twre" (no diacritic).

Race: "Orc" (Or rather, a blue-skinned humanoid whose species name in the lingua franca sounds like "orc". Interestingly enough, aside from their skin hue orcs look and act like humans. However--unlike humans--they have six fingers on each hand (the extra digit located to the side of the pinkies), their hair ranges from light green to dark purple with some forays into cerulean, and they have a much higher tolerance of cold at the expense of lower heat tolerance. They also have some skill in magic, though not to absurd lengths.)

Text Color: #834400

Biography: Twre is a Veparese man of Pursonese descent. That is, he was originally born in the Central Goetic republic of Purson but eventually moved to the Kingdom of Vepar far to the west to pursue his career in finance, starting with college. The lucrativity of Vepar's job market--and the malleability of time in its cities--helped convince him to leave his relatively traditionalist homeland behind. Eventually, he landed a job at an agency devoted to consulting with banks for the best policies to follow in an ever-evolving field. With a steady income and a pleasant residence overlooking the lush environment surrounding the city of Zurabán, he was set for life as a prominent cog in the fiscal machine. He just so happened to be leaving work one afternoon with his work briefcase when the world around him became strange...

Description: In addition to being an orc (for which, see Race above), he has short eggplant-purple hair and indigo eyes--a rather Average Joe-like combination for his race, not like those mint-and-gold celebrities and mythological heroes that people aspire to be like (for better and for worse). Not that he could easily get hair dye and colored contacts to pass for those people; his frame, though tall, is hardly broad enough to qualify. When he was summoned to the Grand Battle Arena, he happened to be wearing his work clothes--a light-beige dress shirt with dark blue slacks, black dress shoes and matching socks, and a striped brown tie.

He is well-meaning and honest but not not very intimidating. That's no accident, of course; he aims to be a humble law-abiding citizen, only working in the finance industry and little else. Furthermore, he's rather nonplussed about his presence in the Grand Battle Arena; he has only the bare minimum of self-defense training from his childhood martial arts classes, and he only considers them good exercise nowadays. Thus, he is weirded out by the sheer interest other contestants have in weapons, weaponized magic and just plain fighting in general. Essentially, think Arthur Dent amongst krogans.

Of course, the above description is when he's sober. When he's drunk--and that's on the very few occasions when he's had a little too much Azéc RuMargroz at the bar--he becomes something else. Drunk Twre is someone who has a lot of pent up rage towards the loss of his parents to dementia. He expresses such rage by subconsciously twisting time around in a sorrowful attempt to break casualty and free his parents from the disease that did them in. He also loses his inhibitions and openly fights anyone who tries to provoke him, only stopping when he eventually passes out from drunkenness. The worst part of this is that because he's so mild and unassuming sober, no-one knows when he's gotten himself plastered until nearby clocks start to disagree with each other.

Weapons and Abilities: He has an affinity towards time-based magic, which allows him to change the speed of time around himself (though not the direction). That said, time-based magic is directly linked to psychological and emotional state; the more stressed/depressed he and other TBM users are, the weaker it becomes. In non-magical affairs, he has his old martial arts skills and a standard-sized briefcase full of his work supplies. At least, the case was full of his work supplies before he was whisked away to the Grand Arena--now it's empty yet also indestructible, a near-perfect shield in the making.

Oh, and there's that time screw which happens when he gets drunk. He's asked Methuselah to keep it a secret, since he finds it a great embarrassment to himself and company.
sedron
im proud of you kid

Post by sedron »

I'll give it a shot. I could go for writing complete nonsense.

Name: Tobasco the Hot Sauce

Race: Hot Sauce

Text Color: #FF0000

Biography: Tobasco is a hot sauce, much like your average hot sauce, except it is much faster than regular hotsauce. It was named after "Tabasco," brand hot sauce, but its parents purposely spelled the name wrong to avoid infringing on copyrights (which are very lenient in the universe Tobasco is from.) Tobasco was the fastest hot sauce in Hotsauce High School, which is known for being a very prestigious school among hot sauce. Tobasco has already had an adventure in which it fused with an entire universe and became one with all, but that probably wasn't canon. These days, Tobasco is a bit of a loner. It travels the world, seeing sights and being a literal bottle of hot sauce.

Description: Tobasco is a fairly large bottle of hot sauce, standing one foot in height and having a circumference of a few inches. Its cap is green and the front of the bottle is adorned with a white label reading "TOBASCO," in green comic-sans (which is an attractive font in its home world.) Visible through the clear bottle is hot sauce, made primarily of peppers, salt and vinegar.

Tobasco doesn't speak due to a vow of silence (many sauces from his world take vows of silence because they can't speak anyway.) No one ever really knows what a bottle of hot sauce is thinking, and Tobasco is even an enigma among them. Some say Tobasco wanders the planet in search of worthy opponents, but they have a hard time saying it because they're literally bottles and bottles can't talk (that would be weird.) Tobasco's age is unknown, though it can't be too old since the hot sauce still tastes good and it can't be too young since it went through the public education system (having a degree in "Being Hot Sauce.")

Weapons and Abilities: During combat, Tobasco often squirts hot sauce to varying degrees. This also happens outside of combat. It really depends on the situation. Hot sauce has a number of applications, including (but not limited to,) enhancing food, burning eyes and wounds, attracting animals, lubricating surfaces and drowning creatures. Tobasco never seems to run out of hot sauce, and the bottle itself is incredibly durable. Tobasco has been known to "fuse," with defeated opponents, though this merely results in an increase in Tobasco's power. As mentioned earlier, Tobasco is also pretty fast.
Some friends and I were bored one day and did a Pen and Paper RPG where we were all to make bad Sonic fan characters. I came up with the name "Tobasco the Hot Sauce," and ended up deciding to not really develop the character beyond that. It somehow ended with my character becoming one with existence. We are really good at RPG's.
Holy

Post by Holy »

I think this could be kinda fun, so I'll try it.

Name: Fishy
Race: common freshwater goldfish (Carassius auratus auratus)
Text Color: #999966

Biography: Fishy has spent almost his entire life in a tank in the back of a Shop-Mart. He was small compared to the other fish and thus never chosen to leave the tank for the outside world. Fishy has overcome hardship after hardship and is constantly subjected to the constant bickering of the other fish as they fight over flakes of food. His only dream is to one day leave his tank and see the rumored world beyond.

Description: Fishy is a small orange fish. He is usually seen swimming lazily in peace. He is a daydreamer, but can work hard given a goal. He likes long swims near the shoreline (or at least he assumes he would).

Weapons and Abilities:
Fishy has the ability to breath in water. He cannot, however, survive for long in any other environment including but not limited to air, other liquids, the scorching innards of a sun, etc.
Fishy is also equipped with the ability to blub bubbles out of his mouth.
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

I am terrible at these type of things but uhhh... sure?

Name: Chibos

Race: Chibi-Giant

Gender: Impossible to tell. I will be referring to Chibos as a he.

Text Color: #0000BF

Biography: This pacifistic hermit stuck to himself in the mountains, aiming to improve his calligraphy and painting skills. Suddenly a tornado came and blew him, his banana boat and his mysterious markers away, landing him suddenly wherever this thing is taking place.

Description: Chibos is a two inch tall giant that stays mainly in a 5 inch lengthwise banana boat, that hovers slightly in the air. What he exactly looks like is a mystery, as he has a slight aura around him that hides his physical appearance.

Weapons and Abilities: Chibos' banana boat is an indestructible boat in which he has lived in for many years, to the point he has complete control over it. The banana boat keeps him slightly levitated and gives him an acceleration of 60 mph within 5 seconds.
Chibos' mysterious markers have the ability, upon drawing on anyone (or in some cases anything) with a specific color, to change their personality to how he sees fit. These mysterious markers can do anything from cause betrayal to complete subdue a person into a state of apathy. Beyond that these markers have infinite ink, are indestructible, and are bound to Chibos. Chibos is immune to his own markers effects. Taking away the markers from Chibos will not work, as he can summon them at will, without fail.
As he is a pacifist, Chibos would rather use his brains and speed to outsmart and outwit his enemies.

(How'd I do?)
Last edited by pholtos 9 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
O'Largill
soggy
First name: iLeave

Post by O'Largill »

I can play??? :D???

Name: Ch'Can Maltomb jon'Matom, or if you'd prefer, just "Mato" for short.

Race: Mato is a Matom Ecomsei. That is to say, they are a human, and from the largely rural province of Matom, in the southern nation of Ecom Sala.

The provinces of Ecom Sala have a really weird gender system - there are something like 140 typical genders a person can use, although usually they'll pick out a set of around ten or so. These genders can alternate depending on a number of systems, including the moons, the tides, the seasons, and the life cycle of the thirteen year cicada. The most common way to display your gender in Ecomsei society is via the pattern and colours of the beads you use to decorate your beard, which is traditionally grown long and thin, regardless of gender and chromosomal stuffs.

Basically it's a complete mess, and we can't just get thrust into this willy-nily. There are papers we'd have to read. For simplicity's sake, I'll be using "they" to refer to Mato.

Text Color: #37C932

Biography: In Ecom Sala, the military and the clergy have a number of... odd intersections. Warrior-Priesthood is one of these.

In a sense, Warrior-Priests are the soldiers before the war. Enemies of the Ecomsei state - those who block their trade, condemn them, threaten them, or otherwise act contrary to Ecom Sala's best interests - quickly attract the attention of the clergy. The Warrior Priests goal, in essence, is to go on pilgrimages to stir discontent with the government, irritate class disparities and sew general discord among the people lower in standing of these enemy states. Largely, they do this by a combination of slick, silver-tongued whispers and fiery, passionate preaching of their religion, "Wadakog" - commonly mistranslated as "The Enslavement of God."

Mato is one such Warrior-Priest. Their pilgrimage is to the northern empire of Sarteskany, the absolute rule of their kings becoming a more and more pressing concern for Ecom Sala, as the Sartesks attempt to expand further and further into the south of the continent, devouring smaller states and stomping flat any persons who try to stop them. Mato's directive is simple: They will be given a carriage ride to as far as the Menphage border, and then they are to take on the guise of a wandering bard, and proceed into the Sarteskan empire. They're heading for a cluster of villages further north, where they intend to work their treasonous art.

Description: For all the fire Mato yearns for, and all the rulers they'd have cut down by their razor tongue, Mato is surprisingly short, grouchy, and petulant. Dark of skin, but with an ashen, unhealthy look to them, like they've spent, on the whole, too much time indoors (This was, in fact, the case). Their eyes are sunken deep, and laden with dark bags. They spend too many nights awake, fearful of what terrors their dreams can bring. Despite these seemingly mournful, pathetic traits, there's something ferocious about them. Their hazel eyes are filled with a fury, and dart from side to side too often, as if expecting to find someone drawing a knife. A fluid quality runs along their body - although the "fluid" is question is not described as a graceful cascade of river water or a mighty tiger mid-pounce as much as it is, say, a spoonful of custard dropped from a spoon. They tend to be very selective of what clothes they will wear as a result, seeking to fill out as much possible, and redistributing their mass with gurdles and corsets. They very strongly detest the wet, the heat, and uncomfortable sleeping places.

Weapons and Abilities: Here's where it gets fun! The purpose of the Ecomsei religion of Wadakog is no less than the creation and harnessing of gods for the aid of humans. That is more or less the reason Warrior-Priests are sent out to rile up peasants as opposed to any other military scrub - only someone skilled in Wadakog can assist them in creating a deity. This custom-made god can have lots of different purposes, but primarily they here function as a solid, concrete source of power it's believers can draw from - either in the form of strength of will and other virtues necessary for the growing of defiance and rebellion, or more literally: Certain skilled believers can become a sort of conduit for the gods power, and work powerful Miracles. These take a very heavy toll on the human body, however, and can result in death if unprepared.

The methods of creation of a god is complicated, but more or less, as long as a Warrior-Priest can make some concrete representation of a god, they can work the god into creation. In battle the main use of these gods would be in providing blessings and curses and stuff, powering-up or -down combatants. Very rarely, Mato may work a Miracle and make something nuts happen, but then they're pretty much out of commission for a little while. They have a mace they can use if it comes to fighting head-on themselves, and not just hanging back and being the healer.
i transformed into a half silkworm, half human anime girl, and caught you off guard. l-looks like... looks like you've been... tricked!!!
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

Oh, neat, we've got eight.

I'm fine with this lineup, but I do want to give sedron and Holy a chance to think about if they're really prepared to write for a bottle of hot sauce and a goldfish, respectively. I don't want to jump right in only for them to find it's not that fun to write for over the long term.

That applies to an extent to every character, really; you may find they're less fun when you actually try to write for them. It's just that those two strike me as particularly prone to that. But if their respective writers are up to the challenge, I'm happy to give them the chance to prove it. I know from experience that a character like that, done well, can really make a battle memorable.

My specific concern is if you feel your respective characters would be able to contribute to a wide range of plotlines without outright disrupting them. If you're always staying out of the plot, that's not likely to be fun for you; and if you're always breaking the plot, that's something that can hurt the game for other players.

Yes, I'm asking serious questions about whether a bottle of hot sauce and a goldfish are going to be able to participate in a battle to the death. I think this says something about the sort of game I'm hoping to run here.
Sorel
In the shadows

Post by Sorel »

Dragon Fogel wrote:Oh, neat, we've got eight.

I'm fine with this lineup, but I do want to give sedron and Holy a chance to think about if they're really prepared to write for a bottle of hot sauce and a goldfish, respectively. I don't want to jump right in only for them to find it's not that fun to write for over the long term.

That applies to an extent to every character, really; you may find they're less fun when you actually try to write for them. It's just that those two strike me as particularly prone to that. But if their respective writers are up to the challenge, I'm happy to give them the chance to prove it. I know from experience that a character like that, done well, can really make a battle memorable.

My specific concern is if you feel your respective characters would be able to contribute to a wide range of plotlines without outright disrupting them. If you're always staying out of the plot, that's not likely to be fun for you; and if you're always breaking the plot, that's something that can hurt the game for other players.

Yes, I'm asking serious questions about whether a bottle of hot sauce and a goldfish are going to be able to participate in a battle to the death. I think this says something about the sort of game I'm hoping to run here.
Does that mean I have to include jokes and weird stuff?

Aww, I hoped I can keep the "100% serious" chatacter...
Holy

Post by Holy »

I think I can do the goldfish, yeah.
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

Tone is going to be set by players as a whole, ideally. The story will be as serious or as silly as you collectively make it. This is one reason why I'm asking these questions; there's a risk that the hot sauce and the fish will dominate the tone, or that it will go in the other direction and the overall tone will be one they can't really keep up with.

Now, I know this can be done. I made an undead vacuum cleaner fit in with a generally serious tone. (Which is not to say that it never did silly things. It just did them in a way that fit with the tone.) I just want sedron and Holy to know that this may end up being what they're expected to do. If they're up for that, then I've got no problem with including their characters.
sedron
im proud of you kid

Post by sedron »

Dragon Fogel wrote:Oh, neat, we've got eight.

Don't underestimate a bottle of hot sauce. =P

Edit: To elaborate, I have no intentions of plot-usurping or anything. Whatever makes the story best.

I'd find it pretty great if Tobasco and Fishy end up fighting, on another note. =P
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

Okay, then. I just wanted to make sure you knew what you might be getting into. Looking forward to seeing what you both come up with.

I'll have the intro up soon, in that case.
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Re: Grand Battle - Round One: Cardboard City

Post by Dragon Fogel »

"And... eight. That should be enough."

Methuselah stood up from her ornate throne and gazed out into the multiverse. To her guards, it looked as though she was staring at the ceiling, but being thoroughly obedient, they said nothing.

Methuselah was silent as well, for a few minutes, as she concentrated on the exact places and times she wanted to grab the contestants from. It was important to make their disappearances suitably dramatic, after all.

Then, suddenly, eight figures fell onto the floor in a heap. That was awkward. She would have to separate them.

Methuselah concentrated, and lifted the eight up in the air one by one. It was only proper to make sure everyone knew each other before making them fight, after all.

"Greetings. I am Methuselah, your host. You may be wondering where you are and why you were brought here. Well, the first question is less important than you might think, as you won't be here long. You see, once I finish this little explanation, I'll be sending you somewhere else to kill each other."

Methuselah paused until she sensed that each of the combatants had allowed that to sink in. She walked over to a young man in a white gown and black cape, wearing a large glove.

"And now, allow me to explain who you'll be up against. First, we have Naizen Imada. He may look like an ordinary human, at least to those of you familiar with that species, but in fact he's a Sentient, a creature made of light and dark energy. He's rather good with light and dark magic as a result, also knows a mixture of the two called 'grey magic'. Not as simple to cast, though. That glove is his primary weapon, it's magically enhanced."

Methuselah stared at Naizen for just a moment after she finished speaking.

Yes, I did tell them your real name, she told him telepathically. They don't know that your Sentient form isn't visible, though. Do with that as you will.

She then stepped to the next combatant, a man in a dark cloak, wearing a skull mask under a wide-brimmed hat, with a rapier at his side and a notebook in hand.

"Our next challenger is Rusto the Scoundrelous. He's the leader of a resistance movement that's just scored a major victory, though he'll have to win this battle if he wants to see how that works out for them. He's a fencer, as you might guess from his choice of weapon, but he's also a mage. That notebook is key to casting his spells. Something you may want to keep in mind."

Satisfied, Methuselah walked towards the third, a short girl riding on a run-down scooter.

"Something seems to be missing," Methuselah mumbled. She looked down, and saw a package on the ground. Without a word, she telekinetically lifted it and placed it on the back of the girl's scooter.

"Apologies for that. This is Eudocia Domitilla Marcellina Laurentina Smith. You may call her 'Dot' for the sake of brevity. She's rather strong, as her work as a courier requires a fair amount of lifting. Speaking of which, she's got a package with her. I'm sure there's something fascinating in there, if anyone can manage to open it."

Methuselah moved on, stopping next to a blue-skinned man with purple hair and indigo eyes. Between his tie and his briefcase, he looked as though he was on his way to work.

"This is Tẃre Egelmath," she began, then paused. "That's quite awkward to say. I'll just call you Twre for convenience. In any case, Twre is an orc - some of you might associate that with large brutish races, but I assure you that this is just a linguistic curiosity. Their species is quite tolerant of cold temperatures, but doesn't do so well in the heat. Twre here is an ordinary accountant. He's taken some self defense classes, but doesn't care much for fighting - though we'll see how long that lasts. He can also magically alter the speed of time around himself."

Methuselah seemed for a moment as though she was going to say something else, then moved on. Twre was relieved, if puzzled; had she known he was worried that she would mention his drinking problem?

But his silent ponderings were interrupted as Methuselah stopped in front of a small red bottle.

Did I really mean to take this? she thought. I must have been hungry. Better take care of this quickly and get some lunch.

"This is Tobasco the Hot Sauce," Methuselah said, trying as hard as she could not to sound skeptical. "Tobasco is the fastest hot sauce in the world. Technically, I suppose one could say Tobasco is the bottle and not the sauce, but really, he's both. Don't expect a lot of conversation out of him, though. He's taken a vow of silence. And don't expect to be able to break that bottle easily."

Methuselah stepped away from Tobasco as quickly as possible, planning to move on to the next contestant before the others thought she wasn't really serious about this. This might have worked better if the next contestant weren't a goldfish swimming in a tank.

"And next we have Fishy," she said, sounding slightly defeated. "Fishy has lived in this tank his entire life. There have been other fish in the tank at times, but they've all been sold. But Fishy is ambitious, and wishes to see the world beyond the tank - well, now he has a chance."

That really seemed like a better idea at the time, Methuselah thought. She hurried along to the next contestant, a small banana boat with some markers in it. It was actually more normal than the others, really.

"And here we have Chibos, the Chibi-Giant," she explained. "You can't actually see him because he has an aura hiding his appearance, he's in the boat. It floats in the air by itself, incidentally; I don't even need to hold it up. The markers you see there can change the personality of whatever they draw on. He can also summon them from anywhere, in case you were thinking of snatching them away from him. He's not eager to fight, but I wonder if he'll be able to hold to those principles as this battle continues?"

After the hot sauce, the goldfish, and the banana boat, the last contestant seemed relatively normal. At the least, they were human, or so it appeared. They were dark-skinned, and had a long and thin beard surrounded by beads. Their clothes were quite large and very confusing to most of the other humans.

"Finally, we have Ch'Can Maltomb jon'Matom, and I've probably pronounced that wrong in several ways. So why don't we just call you Mato. Mato's gender is a very confusing concept due to the culture of Ecom Sala, it's simplest to think of them as a "they". In any event, Mato here is a Warrior-Priest who hails from the province of Matom. This is an interesting profession, because Warrior-Priests can create gods. I'll leave it to you all to figure out how that can work. Regardless, Mato's job is to sow discontent through the use of religion, and they craft their gods for this purpose. Perhaps this will affect how they handle themselves in a populated area."

Methusela walked back to her throne and sat down, satisfied.

"So those are your opponents. Now, I'm going to send you along to another world and drop you all in various places in it. Then you're going to have to kill each other. As soon as one of you turns up dead, I'll send you all somewhere else, and we'll continue until only one is left alive. That will be the winner, who will be allowed to return home alive. And if that's not enough incentive, I'll grant the winner a wish as well."

Methuselah smiled.

"Let the Grand Battle begin."

In an instant, the contestants vanished, or so it looked to Methuselah's guards. From the perspective of the contestants, however, they were suddenly thrust into a sea of buildings.

But on closer inspection, there was something odd about the buildings. They seemed to be made from a very thin material and painted over.

"The battle will begin in Cardboard City," Methuselah's voice declared from nowhere. "This is a city where everything has been constructed from cardboard. It's not the most durable of materials, but the locals manage. Oh, and they're not expecting you, so who knows how they'll react when you start a fight in their fine city? In any event, you'll be here until someone dies, so make the most of it."

Her voice faded, and the eight were left to fend for themselves.

So a few words about the setting!

This is pretty straightforward - it's a city where everything is made of cardboard. Being a city, it's populated, but you don't have to interact too closely with the locals if you don't want to. You just have that option.

To be perfectly clear: You are free to define anything you want about this setting that I've left unsaid. What sort of people live here, why it's made of cardboard, what's going on in the city before you even arrive. Is there a parade? Are they at war? Do they fight wars with parades? That's all up to you!

Another thing I want to make clear: You aren't necessarily all in one place. You can start close to another contestant if you want, though, and can even start a fight if you think that would work.

So basically, do what you want. If you've got ambitious plans, however, you may want to talk them over with other players.

In later rounds, there may be details that I can't quite fit into Methuselah's description and I'll explain them in these spoilers. But we'll worry about that when we get to that point.

Also, let me know if there's anything I should change about your character's introduction.

I think that's about it. Have fun!
Mikkofier
What about Ron magic?

Post by Mikkofier »

I probably should clarified this in the description, but the notebook is not necessary to work Rusto's sigil magic, it's just more convenient than tracing on the ground and somesuch. Magical rituals of a larger scale require many sigils at strategic places

Where... am I?, Rusto thought to himself, having just woken up and looking over the cityscape unfolding before him from the rooftop he had been placed on. One moment he had watched the Lord-Mayor of Lynd, Prosper Yedlic, fall off the roof of the Hall of Authority. His screeching machine body had scarcely hit the ground when, all of a sudden, Rusto had found himself in a place he had never seen even in his most outlandish dreams, surrounded by people (and...things) he hadn't seen or heard of in his life, being spoken to by an otherworldly being of clearly immense power, before being sent to a place straight out of a child's stroybook. I wonder what she is.. Collecting fighters from different worlds and making them fight...for what? Research? Amusement? Is she with Eternal Chaos or Absoute Order?
Rusto decided that he needed a vantage point to get a better look at the city. He saw a tower rising above the city and leaped to the roof of a nearby building. He fully expected to fall through the cardboard ceiling, but his landing only left a dent on it. Makes sense, he thought, it'd have to keep the rain away. At this point he wasn't surprised by much of anything. After all, of his supposed opponents, two were a bottle of sauce and a goldfish.
Suddenly, he heard footsteps coming up. Rusto silently climbed atop the roof access door. He put his hand on the hilt of his rapier.Demonic game or machinistic plot, I won't be taken down so easily! he thought as he waited for whoever was coming to come out the door. If it's one of my opponents, maybe I could talk some sense into them. If not... well, it would be their loss...
-Kurt Vonnegut
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

Chibos pondered his sudden change of scenery. "What a strange turn of events... one moment I am drawing a wonderful painting of my home landscape and the next... What kind of strange powers does our "host" possess?" Upon further inspection of the area, he noticed how... flat everything was. "My my this city has... quite the appearance. It's completely different from anything I'm used to seeing..."
At this point, Chibos believe the best thing to do would be to explore the city for a bit, so taking to the roads in his banana boat, Chibos wandered about, taking in the sights to get a better picture of the situation. He eventually settled in what looked to be a park, although seeing as everything looked fairly similar his assumption was all he could believe in at the time. Before settling onto what looked to be very fragile bench, (although it meant nothing to him, as he never needed to leave his ever floating boat) Chibos took out his black marker and made a mark on a nearby tree. "Just in case, it'll vanish on it's own in a couple days if nothing... happens" Chibos thought as he settled down to meditate and digest all the information he had obtained in his time in the city...

Edit: How do colors work, did I screw that up? XD
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
sedron
im proud of you kid

Post by sedron »

Of all of the materials one could possibly construct a city from, cardboard was likely one of the poorest choices available. Tobasco knew this perfectly well as it surveyed the room it landed in. The window (through which the hot sauce had entered the room,) let through a slight breeze. This would have likely felt wonderful had Tobasco not been born a bottle of hot sauce, and thus unable to feel such things. True to Methuselah's description, the entire room was constructed from cardboard, from top to bottom. It appeared to be an office, outfitted with a cardboard desk, a cardboard set of office supplies and cardboard stairs.

Surely there was only one course of action that made sense, and that was to deteriorate the room at moderate speed via copious abuse of hot sauce. Tobasco's cap opened, and out spewed the spicy condiment. Perhaps the bottle would fall through the floor onto an unsuspecting contestant's head as the cardboard became flimsy, or maybe the sauce would drip into that fish's bowl resulting in moderate discomfort. Tobasco had nothing against the other combatants, but there was no guarantee they would extend any sort of courtesy to a simple bottle of pepper sauce. It was survival of the fittest. Eat or be eaten. Squirt hot sauce all over everything and everyone, or have hot sauce squirted all over you.

As Tobasco continued to let loose a steady stream of delicious, delicious hot sauce, it heard a soft "poomph" noise. This was surely the sound of something landing on cardboard, and the new dent in the ceiling seemed to confirm this. Apparently Tobasco wasn't the only one to notice this, as a girl with a scooter and a package jogged up the stairs and into the room. Her eyes immediately focused on the ceiling dent, missing the tiny bottle of sauce entirely. She continued up the next flight of stairs, and paused as she reached the door.

Wait a minute, Dot thought to herself. What's that smell...?