(shouting)

SMBX Help Thread

The second SMBX collab!
TiKi

Re: SMBX Help Thread

Post by TiKi »

TiKi wrote:Can SMBX use midi files? I've heard both it can and can't, but my headphones don't work.
Okay, I've heard that it sometimes starts in the middle of the track. Any way to plop an midi in and just KNOW it works without listening akin to a mp3? And this is due to filesize concerns.
TiKi

Post by TiKi »

EDIT: stupid me
EDITalso: please help
http://speedy.sh/EG724/Wario-s-Puzzle-2.zip
Look at Bowser's bottom
http://imgur.com/L1vP3b4
Kil

Post by Kil »

I have no idea what you're doing but maybe you skipped numbers? There are hexadecimal numbers between 8 and 0

Code: Select all

MemAssign,0x00B2C788,124,0,0,0,w
MemAssign,0x00B2C790,124,0,0,0,w
You went from 788 to 790, totally skipping 78A, 78C, 78E
DON'T PM me. Ask your question in the help thread so everyone can be answered.
TiKi

Post by TiKi »

One of the top numbers makes Link's height 124, and one of the bottom ones makes the length 124. My problem is... Well look at the image! Link has no bottom even though I made custom player graphics
Kil

Post by Kil »

It's probably not designed to use graphics of those dimensions
ztarwuff
What the heck is a flair and why am I being asked to write one for my profile?
Location: Within 2 miles of the Imperial Crypt of Napoleon III

Post by ztarwuff »

I've come up with an interesting way to use the warp potion in a level, but have noticed something really weird.

I've got a conveyor belt (I believe it's npc-57) going right. The player is allowed to use the warp potion to warp to a nearly identical section that is

upside-down

, in order to reach certain switches. However, when the player returns to the original screen, the conveyor belt is suddenly going left.

I don't understand why it's happening and if I can't figure out why it's doing that, I may have to ditch the conveyor belt from the level. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
TiKi

Post by TiKi »

"Soemthing stupid, I'm sure" - Squidward Tentacles
TiKi

Post by TiKi »

Okay so Kil: what do I do now? I'm gonna be pretty disappointed* if one literally can't even double the player size

* in general not at you of course
darkychao
Location: When you sleep there's a lesson you must learn: not for the lesson today, mate.

Post by darkychao »

TiKi wrote:Okay so Kil: what do I do now? I'm gonna be pretty disappointed* if one literally can't even double the player size

* in general not at you of course
Well, since the character sprite-box is 100x100 I rekkin you could have a character that's that big without any trouble, so, it's just a matter of redrawing the sprite 12 pixels or so shorter and 2 pixels thiner.
BeatBoxingBoo wrote:a medley is just, like, a mixture of medics
Check out my TF2 community workshop stuff:
Crust CrusherImage Crafty CutterImage PinheadImageThreadImage
If I didn't like anybody who had a different opinion than me on something I like I wouldn't have any friends.-Bwarch
TiKi

Post by TiKi »

That wouldn't be very impressive I'm afraid
The idea was sort of to play as a boss without any sprite modifications
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

I remember that you can resize some of the player graphics by extending them downwards and to the right. It might work only for some of them though. I had some fun making extra large player graphics earlier when resizing player hitbox was not a thing yet.

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=13538&start=350#p194900
Bryux

Post by Bryux »

ztarwuff wrote:I've come up with an interesting way to use the warp potion in a level, but have noticed something really weird.

I've got a conveyor belt (I believe it's npc-57) going right. The player is allowed to use the warp potion to warp to a nearly identical section that is

upside-down

, in order to reach certain switches. However, when the player returns to the original screen, the conveyor belt is suddenly going left.

I don't understand why it's happening and if I can't figure out why it's doing that, I may have to ditch the conveyor belt from the level. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Switches reverse conveyor belts, or, at least some switches do. I am also totally not going to make a puzzle based on this very obscure fact, nope, not at all.

woawoawoah someone spoilered the obligatory signaturtle
I settled with good old Kaguya
TiKi

Post by TiKi »

It's the dark blue one in the SMW misc section
ztarwuff
What the heck is a flair and why am I being asked to write one for my profile?
Location: Within 2 miles of the Imperial Crypt of Napoleon III

Post by ztarwuff »

TiKi wrote:It's the dark blue one in the SMW misc section
Oh darn it. That's the one I'm using to trigger the warp potions. I can't believe I didn't notice that was happening. Oh well... guess the best thing to do here is to replace the switch block, then.

Thanks, guys.
TiKi

Post by TiKi »

I guess SMBX is always SHOWING the 100x100 grid on the character sheet, it's just invisible for almost all pixels? It doesn't actually take physical character size into consideration when reading it? The best thing I can think of is a sort of "GFX height" modifier like the NPCs.

Also to whom it may concern: I think the best way to modify star count is to write to the save file "player has star from section x in dummy.lvl" and so on, since that's how the stars work in the save. That's also why the one star per section limit exists.

Also: is it possible to flip the "player has viewed credits" flag in a save file and provide said file? I don't want the credits in my episode, and I'd be fine with just providing 1 percent clear files if it meant the player could get a 100 clear save file.
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

Is it possible to give an NPC layer priority to the playable character?
darkychao
Location: When you sleep there's a lesson you must learn: not for the lesson today, mate.

Post by darkychao »

Ometeotl wrote:Is it possible to give an NPC layer priority to the playable character?
foreground=1
BeatBoxingBoo wrote:a medley is just, like, a mixture of medics
Check out my TF2 community workshop stuff:
Crust CrusherImage Crafty CutterImage PinheadImageThreadImage
If I didn't like anybody who had a different opinion than me on something I like I wouldn't have any friends.-Bwarch
Luigifan2010
Lua squad
First name: Mike
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Luigifan2010 »

TiKi wrote:I guess SMBX is always SHOWING the 100x100 grid on the character sheet, it's just invisible for almost all pixels? It doesn't actually take physical character size into consideration when reading it? The best thing I can think of is a sort of "GFX height" modifier like the NPCs.
nope, character size is a fixed value that im sure could be changed with upcoming lunadll installments. kinda saddening
TiKi

Post by TiKi »

It's possible to change the height (see my SMW Mario and Luigi)
Enchlore

Post by Enchlore »

Hello. Could you guys please tell me what program you used to change the menu text in the main game for A2MBXT? I tried HexEdit, but I could only find the level editor text. I'm in real need of this information, and I promise it's not just for random tinkering or trivia.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Enchlore

Post by Enchlore »

I have no idea what to do with the information on that text file.
Luigifan2010
Lua squad
First name: Mike
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Luigifan2010 »

Enchlore wrote:I have no idea what to do with the information on that text file.
With a hex editor, you navigate to the position it says in the file usually using a "goto" function of sorts.
Xirix
The British Palindrome

Post by Xirix »

Is there a way to make a background auto-scroll without the level auto-scrolling... and without having to make a very lengthy image for it to be animated?

I haven't checked out luna.dll yet, would any of it's scripts be able to do what I want?
Kil

Post by Kil »

So is there any way to lose stars in this game, because I could use a decrease in star count to detect when a save file is deleted