(shouting)

Last movie you watched?

here's a good place for FRIENDLY, ENJOYABLE, and otherwise very GENERAL discussion!
LatexHydra

Re: Last movie you watched?

Post by LatexHydra »

The Matrix Trilogy. It was good.
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Bwarch »

Cross post from zee Tumblr:
Finally got around to watching the second Hobbit movie~

They did sooooo well omg. I’m just so happy they fixed all the problems I had both with the original cartoon movie and the book itself.

Giving more character to the main company beyond just Thorin and Bilbo, it’s really quite neat how many of the dwarves they’re giving these memorable scenes.

And the barrel scene was so freaking great, such a good take on it. And Smaug was pretty great (personally I think I like the voice from the cartoon better there, but eh, little nitpicks. Benedict did ALRIGHT just, a certain kind of flair was missing for me.)

The cave scene though was of course a million times better in Jackson's version with everything they added, such an elaborate setup for the end of the movie.

And it’s pretty neat to see they even fit in what Gandalf was up to during the Misty section of the story (from what I understand it was related in a different story outside of The Hobbit)

Just. The decision to turn the story into not one but three movies couldn’t have been better. They’re able to really detail all parts of the story and go more in depth than they ever could with a single movie.

And it was neat seeing Legolas and getting a Gimli name drop and just aaaaaaaaa.

I’m very okay with LotR keeping alive the fantasy genre, I just hope we get more good stuff. (The adaptation of Eragon was pretty heartbreaking tbh)
Snakebite969 wrote:Madoka rebellion.

NEVER GOING TO BE AVAILABLE IN ENGLAND SO IT'S OK
Typically it's a good idea to drop some thoughts on the movie so this isn't just a name drop thread! Though to be honest I'm just ravenous to hear opinions on this movie anyway since I love it so much <3
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

The Red Letter Media guys did a review of The Amazing Spiderman 2. They explained a lot of why it was such a dumb movie.
Check it out:
http://redlettermedia.com/half-in-the-b ... der-man-2/
Skip to 17:40 for the Spiderman review.
Snakebite969
Absolutely No Step On Snek
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Snakebite969 »

Bwarch wrote:
Snakebite969 wrote:Madoka rebellion.

NEVER GOING TO BE AVAILABLE IN ENGLAND SO IT'S OK
Typically it's a good idea to drop some thoughts on the movie so this isn't just a name drop thread! Though to be honest I'm just ravenous to hear opinions on this movie anyway since I love it so much <3
I enjoyed it
It was a bit confusing when Madoka was there and everyone just accepted it
Then stuff was explained and implied, so everything balanced out

Unexpected ending

That cake song though....
IS TALKHAUS THE CAKE?
Poppo wrote:Poppo! Poppo! *clickety-clank* Po! Po! Po! *clickety-clank* Po? Po... Po... Po... Pogyaaaah!!
ImageImage
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend

Post by Bwarch »

Snakebite969 wrote: I enjoyed it

Unexpected ending
Yeah totally, it's a really great mystery kind of movie because you're left in suspense and wondering what the heck for so long before they finally drop the curtain and then you're like "Oh. OH. OH NOOOOOOO..."
Snakebite969 wrote: That cake song though....
IS TALKHAUS THE CAKE?
No, not Talkhaus.

It is the pie.

The round cake is fluffy and tall.
july
七月
First name: e!ɡa
Pronouns: she/her

Post by july »

Bwarch wrote:
Snakebite969 wrote: I enjoyed it

Unexpected ending
Yeah totally, it's a really great mystery kind of movie because you're left in suspense and wondering what the heck for so long before they finally drop the curtain and then you're like "Oh. OH. OH NOOOOOOO..."
Snakebite969 wrote: That cake song though....
IS TALKHAUS THE CAKE?
No, not Talkhaus.

It is the pie.

The round cake is fluffy and tall.
I really need to get around to watching the rest of the Madoka movies, as I've only watched the first one(Which, when I think about it, was probably the last movie I watched). I did enjoy the first one, but probably not as much as the original series.
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend

Post by Bwarch »

Elgadika wrote: I really need to get around to watching the rest of the Madoka movies, as I've only watched the first one(Which, when I think about it, was probably the last movie I watched). I did enjoy the first one, but probably not as much as the original series.
Whut.

It's literally the same thing except with better animation. What they did for the first two movies is just went over the original series with a coat of polish.

Old: http://31.media.tumblr.com/ed1614c80c1b ... 2_1280.png

New: http://31.media.tumblr.com/4c2dcebf434e ... 1_1280.png
july
七月

Post by july »

Bwarch wrote: It's literally the same thing except with better animation. What they did for the first two movies is just went over the original series with a coat of polish.
I'd say they differ in other ways, at least in length (sans OPs/EDs, first movie: c. 120 min to adapt c. 185 min of original series; second movie: c. 100 min to adapt c. 90 min), but I'm really just splitting hairs with that. My reaction is probably just due to familiarity with the original series more than anything.
onpon4
Sharing is good.
First name: Julie

Post by onpon4 »

I recently watched Dragon Ball Z: God and God when I found out that it's actually a part of the Dragon Ball canon. It's enjoyable overall and not filled with as many plot holes and stupid character decisions as the later parts of Dragon Ball Z, though they somehow made the characters' power even more ridiculous than it already was (and widened the gap between strong and "weak" characters quite a lot).
july
七月

Post by july »

Watched Madoka Rebellion, which was really good. For the first half I sort of half-figured what was going on, but then the second half happened, the reaction to which was generally "OHHHH..."
And then it ended on a rather, um, interesting note.
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend

Post by Bwarch »

The ending was so neat. Just Homura basically saying
"Screw your god shit Madoka I want you back on earth", and Homura gets what Homura wants~
july
七月

Post by july »

There's particularly the bit right at the end, after Homura re-(re-re-)makes the world, where Madoka seems just about to figure out something's not right and go all goddess mode, but then Homura pretty much goes "nope". Like it went "Here comes Godoka to fix everything!... okay maybe not"
Lunikyuu
I forgot what I was going to put here after MaGL X3

Post by Lunikyuu »

Saw Transcendence with my dad a few weeks ago. It was pretty interesting, though parts of it could be conveyed better, especially the end, which almost lost me at first. Though I did enjoy it mainly because I love thinking about those sci-fi "what if" scenarios.

Oh man, I completely forgot the Madoka movies existed! I really need to view them somehow!
swirlybomb
a bomb that is swirly
First name: Swirlus Bomberton

Post by swirlybomb »

what the eff
anonymousbl00dlust wrote:All the obstacles in my level can be beaten on the players first attempt without any 'future predicting'.
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend

Post by Bwarch »

It's honestly just a really elaborate way to destroy that fella in the middle of the table, haha. Also an excuse to have a fun song in the movie.
ZephyrBurst
A Bird Cat
Pronouns: He

Post by ZephyrBurst »

Watched 'Dredd' the other day. That was a waste of film.
Sorel
In the shadows
First name: Alexander

Post by Sorel »

ZephyrBurst wrote:Watched 'Dredd' the other day. That was a waste of film.
Uh... I never watched the movie, but what was bad about it?
Former active member, yearly lurker now.
Mikkofier
What about Ron magic?
First name: Mikko J. Fuzzygrumbles

Post by Mikkofier »

ZephyrBurst wrote:Watched 'Dredd' the other day. That was a waste of film.
Counterpoint!

I liked it. This is how you do a Judge Dredd film. Wish the makers could get to make more.
Many people need desperately to receive this message: I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.
-Kurt Vonnegut
Context-free Supper Mario Broth Roulette! NOTE: Potential Jumpscare warning!
Avatar source (for most of them).
RikunFrances
Mentally Ill
Pronouns: kunself/you

Post by RikunFrances »

Perfect Blue.
Many cry, many horror.
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend

Post by Bwarch »

Saw How To Train Your Cat Slug Muffin Cow Fox Dragon 2. Spoilers in spoiler so hey.

First off OH MY GODS THE TEXTURE. With being able to see INDIVIDUAL SNOW FLAKES ON THE BEARDS. And every single SCALE rendered in loving detail. Just, oh my god they went so overboard on the texture and it's just glorious how much attention is paid to it throughout the movie.
So the thing that I think the director was pissed about was that Hiccup's mother was in the trailers for the movie. Like, I heard the team on HTTYD 2 was actually telling people to avoid the trailers because they were mad that that detail was included. Trailers handled by a completely different entity than the studio making the movie apparently. It's pretty sad because it was INDEED a pretty important little detail and plot twist. Really sad when trailers give out the fun stuff, and it's happening more and more often where they give too much away.

So speaking of Hiccup's mother though she was pretty cool. Her first appearance was a highlight of the movie for me because she's so mysterious and it's such a cool scene. Her movements are really interesting and I think they really were mindful of trying to put into her movements the fact that she moves less like a human and more like something else entirely just because of how much time she's spent away from her own kind. Which is a cool detail to throw in.
When the movie was done I was kinda surprised, there is a TON of action and a TON of battle sequences in this thing that go on for so long. So when it's finally done you realize you've been sitting there for an hour and change when it's felt like much shorter.

The humor was pretty alright, the music was pretty swell and there were a lot of really touching scenes. Just all around a pretty decent flick, though perhaps not as strong as the original but that's alright, since you come into the theater with expectations and also already knowing the score I'd imagine it's hard to make a better sequel in most cases.
Saturn Moriya

Post by Saturn Moriya »

I watched The Fly. So sexim/stereotypes, much gross. I get that it's old, but damn is it onedimensional. It does have a bit of the "oh no technology created by man but it bring bad things, we should careful with advancedness" moral, which was special at the time I guess, but other than that the plot does NOTHING. I guess the gross is kinda entertaining.

I also watched The Thing. Which is much, much, much, much, much, much better. There isn't a single female character, which is like "wow the sexism is so strong with this one, it doesn't even have room to be destructive on women". I can't help but notice these things with old movies. At least the plot goes places and is actually interesting. And the horror part is also really well done. It's not just gross, it's actually scary.

...also 2001 Space Odyssey. I was on a classic sci-fi streak. Very sexist too and super typical "perfect American lifestyle" in the part where humans are relevant. The monkey and acid trip parts were pretty enchanting though.

Your blood their blood serves the same!!
Isrieri
Creatively Bankrupt
Pronouns: Male

Post by Isrieri »

Far out
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

I watched Bruno.

You know, I heard a lot of people talking about how it's downright offensive to the gay community, but I think those people are completely missing the extra layer of satire that's on the whole movie. He's basically being a caricature of what the anti-gay community thinks gay people are like, and by extent, he's making the anti-gay community become caricatures of themselves. He's really kind of a genius with the way he manages to make people say the worst things they possibly could to show first-hand how stupid they are, and his improvisational skills are really amazing. I think it's weird that Borat got way better reviews than Bruno. I mean, I liked Borat as well but all that says to me is that there were a lot of people that only like Borat because he did silly voices and didn't fit in and those same people watched Bruno and didn't find the same thing so they didn't like it. The movies were really similar, but one was dealing with racism and one was dealing with homophobia.

I'm curious to hear thoughts of other people who saw it.
Whimsical Calamari
i am the one that sings the chorus when you hum in the shower

Post by Whimsical Calamari »

Godzilla Vs. King Ghidora. It was so beautifully cheesy all the way through.
ImageImage Image ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Mikkofier
What about Ron magic?
First name: Mikko J. Fuzzygrumbles

Post by Mikkofier »

Rented the Robocop reboot. The plot's kind of lackluster but at least it looked pretty. I have a soft spot for cyberpunk and robots, so at least it didn't disappoint on that level.
Many people need desperately to receive this message: I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.
-Kurt Vonnegut
Context-free Supper Mario Broth Roulette! NOTE: Potential Jumpscare warning!
Avatar source (for most of them).