(shouting)

What games are you playing?

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Re: What games are you playing?

Post by Ashan »

Leet wrote:i have had ico/sotc for ps3 for a long time now and i still havent played them because for some reason gaming on anything but pc or 3ds barely happens for me
That would probably be the case for me as well but I have my PS3 hooked up to one of my computer monitors so it takes me next to no effort to start up a game on PS3. My Xbox 360 on the other hand is ALL THE WAY downstairs on the main floor below me. Too much effort to walk that far so I prefer to buy games on PS3 if I can.
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

Doctor Shemp wrote:Do you mean GoldenEye or The World Is Not Enough? Because if you mean GoldenEye, why? Not liking GoldenEye is a very uncommon opinion, so I'd like to hear your reasoning behind that.
I mean The World is Not Enough, due to a certain stealth mission. The reasoning? Everyone looks the dang same to me. So having the mission say "Avoid such and such guy that we don't really show you/don't kill such and such guy" makes it a real problem.
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

pholtos wrote:
Doctor Shemp wrote:Do you mean GoldenEye or The World Is Not Enough? Because if you mean GoldenEye, why? Not liking GoldenEye is a very uncommon opinion, so I'd like to hear your reasoning behind that.
I mean The World is Not Enough, due to a certain stealth mission. The reasoning? Everyone looks the dang same to me. So having the mission say "Avoid such and such guy that we don't really show you/don't kill such and such guy" makes it a real problem.
Ah ok. I don't think I've ever played The World Is Not Enough. That wasn't really a problem in GoldenEye though, since every character that was particularly important looked very different to the other enemies, except for Dr. Doak I suppose. I do still have the "everything looks the same" problem in Archives though, where I get turned around all the time, and Statue, which is built like a maze, although at least Statue is fairly small. Thinking about it I suppose Depot and Egyptian are pretty samey too, but they're both fairly small.

Generally though, you've gotta remember the golden rule of the N64: if the game's not made by Nintendo or Rare, it's probably crap.
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

Doctor Shemp wrote: Generally though, you've gotta remember my golden rule of the N64: if the game's not made by Nintendo or Rare, I've never played it.
ftfy

Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

Are you saying that there are so few non-Nintendo or non-Rare games on the 64 that no-one would have played them, or that I'm being ignorant? Because if it's the latter, note that I said "probably crap" not "definitely crap", and name 10 good third-party games on the 64. I don't think most people could even name 5. And that's not an unreasonable goal either: if I said "name 10 good third-party NES games" or "name 10 good third-party SNES games" anyone could do it in a heartbeat. There are good third-party 64 games, they're just few and far between.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

Generally though, you've gotta remember the golden rule of the N64: it's probably crap.
i fixed it better and sick bnured the n64 and its fanbase blammo *puts on shades and flies on a n64-shaped skateboard into the sun. the n64 burns in the sun's heat - i do not*
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

Would the 64 burn in the sun? The console itself has an amazingly good build quality. The controller, not so much, especially the stick, but the console, oh man. I've seen photos of a 64 that got run over by a car and is missing most of the outer covering and it still works.
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere

Post by Jesuiscontent »

Doctor Shemp wrote:Are you saying that there are so few non-Nintendo or non-Rare games on the 64 that no-one would have played them, or that I'm being ignorant? Because if it's the latter, note that I said "probably crap" not "definitely crap", and name 10 good third-party games on the 64. I don't think most people could even name 5. And that's not an unreasonable goal either: if I said "name 10 good third-party NES games" or "name 10 good third-party SNES games" anyone could do it in a heartbeat. There are good third-party 64 games, they're just few and far between.
Mischief Makers
Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon 1&2
Rayman 2
Star Wars Racer (any n64 star wars game really, though I only played racer)
Bomberman 64
Harvest Moon
Gex 64

And that's only games I played, but you can probably add Duke Nukem, Turok, Resident Evil, Castlevania 64, Snowboard kids, or Ogre Battle

e : Also I'm not saying that there's isn't garbage on the N64, there is a lot, but so is there on the playstation or the SNES (ESPECIALLY snes). If anything I'm pretty sure the N64 has less awful games that any other console

Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

I've played some of those and agree that they were good, although a few of them were better on other platforms, like Rayman 2 & Duke Nukem 3D. I haven't played Castlevania 64 but I've heard mixed things about it. Also Beetle Adventure Racing is a good third-party game. My point wasn't that there were no good third-party 64 games, just that there weren't that many. Statistically, if you were to pick out a third-party 64 game completely at random, odds are it would be crap or an inferior port of a PlayStation game. So, for example, if you were a kid going to the video store to rent a game, if you had a PlayStation you'd look for a cool cover and cool screenshots, if you had a 64 you'd look for the Nintendo logo or the Rare logo, and if you had a Saturn you'd cry in the corner.

And as a sidenote, I don't think it's entirely third-party devs' fault for that. The 64 made some odd hardware choices, like having no VRAM and doing everything on unified RAM, and Nintendo didn't release documentation on important parts of the system like microcode to anyone but Rare, and they didn't do that until near the turn of the century, and when they did they gave them code commented in Japanese and told them to deal with it. And of course using cartridges just as FMV was taking off held them back as well. As Nintendo's then hardware development chief Genyo Takeda said, "When we made Nintendo 64, we thought it was logical that if you want to make advanced games, it becomes technically more difficult. We were wrong. We now understand it's the cruising speed that matters, not the momentary flash of peak power."
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere

Post by Jesuiscontent »

Doctor Shemp wrote: Statistically, if you were to pick out a third-party 64 game completely at random, odds are it would be crap.
I still stand by how this works for every console ever. Considering how few N64 games exist in the first place, I'd be willing to bet that the good games/bad games ratio is actually bigger on the n64 than any other console. I agree for the communication between Nintendo and 3rd parties though, I do remember reading stuff about that

However, I hope you're not seriously implying the Playstation version of Rayman 2 is superior to N64. the PS version had godawful graphics, had areas removed, was overall slower, especially thanks to NOW LOADING..., and had disgusting voice-acting. It's no wonder the PC version was based off the N64 version instead of the playstation. Unless you were talking about another version I'm not aware of.

Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

I meant the PC version of Rayman 2 and the PC version of Duke Nukem 3D, although I've heard that the Dreamcast version of Rayman 2 is the best version by far.
Euparkeria
Palaeontological Platformerer
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Euparkeria »

I got 103% in Donkey Kong Country 3 today. What an amazing and clever game! I don't get why so many hate this game. I mean, thinking that "Kiddy Kong is stupid" sounds like an excuse more than a valid reason to me. I'd be interested to hear better reasoning for disliking this game. I didn't see any issues other than the returning problems from the previous games, like the too small camera size.

The level design is great and the mechanics varied, which prevents the game from being dull. Level design is definitely the strongest point of this game. The world map is way more interesting than the straight paths from 1 & 2, with extra stuff to do and find everywhere. Exploring the map is fun by itself, too. Also interesting is the vehicle concept, making you feel like you are making progress and allowing to access new areas.

I'd say this game is as good, if not better than the fan-favorite DKC2. 2 might be my favourite too, but come on, 3 is gold.
Cool banner by Neutron Star!
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

I actually like DKC3 the most out of the trilogy. Pretty sure the three reasons most people don't like it is that a baby replaces DK/Diddy, too many gimmick levels, and too much collectathon stuff. I'm fine with all three of those things.

I have Steel Diver in my 3DS, but I haven't started it yet. Anyone play that one on here? If so, how is it?
Euparkeria

Post by Euparkeria »

Wow, too many gimmicks? I have a hard time figuring why that's a bad thing, but eh. And no one forces to get everything, so what's the problem? :P

Haven't played any Steel Diver, so it's a mystery to me. Anyway, when in the future are you continuing the Mega Man Powered Up lp, Bean? Just asking, I don't want to bother.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Doctor Shemp wrote:So, for example, if you were a kid going to the video store to rent a game, (...) if you had a Saturn you'd cry in the corner
OH YOU DID NOT JUST GO THERE

PAGING SATURN MORIYA
PAGING SATURN MORIYA TO THE CARTRIDGÉ

STAT
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Bean wrote:I actually like DKC3 the most out of the trilogy. Pretty sure the three reasons most people don't like it is that a baby replaces DK/Diddy, too many gimmick levels, and too much collectathon stuff. I'm fine with all three of those things.
I think DKC2 has better level design and style in general. DKC3 is my personal favorite though. It definitely has a lot of gimmick levels and Razor's Ridge's boss and the first level there are absurd (high difficulty for the boss and the first level is just way way way too long) but for the most part the gimmicks are a lot of fun, as are the majority of the bosses.
Saturn Moriya

Post by Saturn Moriya »

Okay so Koba wants me to pick a fight with you, so...

DO YOUR CONSOLES HAVE THE POWER TO STOP NUKES?!

I THINK NOT

In all seriousness, the Saturn was TERRIBLE for the western market at the time because they were making a 2D powerhouse, they didn't see the 3D hype coming and added it on at the last second, which made it vastly inferior AND a bitch to program for. On top of that they shoved the launch date forward so that no one was knew it was happening(including stores)/had money put aside for it/even looked at it because of the higher price tag. The early launch also caused the launch games to be rushed terribly: Virtua Fighter was so bad, they gave everyone a free copy of remix, which is what the launch game was intended to be. Meanwhile Sony had the no 2D policy which everyone believed in, so the west pretty much ignored the system.

In retrospect, it's the best retro console you could wish for. It has so many games for all of the classic genres (though you're gonna have to import alot of it), and even some 3D games that hold up better than almost anything you'll see on PS1.

Your blood their blood serves the same!!
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Post by YelseyKing »

Dragon Quest 5 has this really annoying mechanic where you recruit monsters... but they don't seem to *listen* to you. You can control them, ostensibly, but they'll just as often do their own thing. Currently, I have a sabercat cub who can do one of two things: attack, or defend. He literally does the latter like 2/3 of the time, which does not help me at all. Or *him*, as his defending just drags out the fight, which ends up causing him to take *more* damage than he would if he'd just freaking attacked. Argh. Moreover, it seems like the more numerous or annoying the enemies are, the more likely the stupid cat is to defend instead of, you know, *helping*. Great.
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Euparkeria wrote:Haven't played any Steel Diver, so it's a mystery to me. Anyway, when in the future are you continuing the Mega Man Powered Up lp, Bean? Just asking, I don't want to bother.
That's... actually a good question. I don't know. I usually only do these when I have the energy to do them. The whole text thing takes a lot out of me at times. I'm actually trying to piece together another Mario series and do the Powered Up one in chunks. I just can't do it all at once like I did with Mega Man & Bass.
Euparkeria

Post by Euparkeria »

Take your time with it, don't hurry. :)

I completed Mega Man 7. It has its flaws, but overall it's a great game!
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

I finished Burning Rangers.

It was very good.

Beat all 4 missions with Tillis.
The shmup section was awesome.
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
metasomnia?
butts

Post by metasomnia? »

It's time for Earthbound!

And then after that the first Mother game.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Saturn Moriya wrote:On top of that they shoved the launch date forward so that no one was knew it was happening(including stores)/had money put aside for it/even looked at it because of the higher price tag.
That actually wound up being a huge issue as Sega chose a few select ones to carry the brand. A couple of the ones that weren't involved refused to carry the Saturn for a good long while. Think how poor the Wii U launch was, but multiply that by an arbitrary number, and that's the Saturn.

There were some games on it that put me on the fence of getting one, but they were far too apart for me to ever consider picking one up. Koba playing Burning Rangers definitely made me remember that, but not having a true Sonic game on the thing in four years was a monumental disaster since mascots were still a huge thing back then.

Anyway, I'm still playing Streetpass Mii Plaza. I really like going for the puzzle pieces and through Find Mii II, but I wish the former was better about giving me new pieces when I spend those Play Coins at times. Feels like a 50/50 shot now!
Picochilla
The eternal Cuddles

Post by Picochilla »

Played Guacamelee - Super Turbo Championship Edition today and it was awesome. It makes really fun to punsh anything u can punsh xD

Also bought the DLC New Super Luigi U and i'm quite disappointed because that every Level is so short and 100 seconds only... :/
100% Approved!
Patooties are Talkhaus' best thing!
So... I just put in my Youtube-Channel
Saturn Moriya

Post by Saturn Moriya »

I BEAT SONIC 1

FUCK THIS GAME

NEVER AGAIN

I DON'T CARE IF EGGMAN TELLS ME TO TRY AGAIN, CHAOS EMERALDS ARE DUUUUUUUMB

WORST THING EVER

DAMN IT TO HELL

Can't wait to be super happy with Sonic 2.

Your blood their blood serves the same!!