(shouting)

What games are you playing?

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
skyluigi2

Re: What games are you playing?

Post by skyluigi2 »

Bean wrote:I think I've found my first Mario atrocity by testing out Super Mario Bros. Special, a Hudson developed semi-sequel to the original SMB game. My goodness, that's a prime example of loaning out an IP to someone that puts it on hardware that can not run the game properly. Yeesh.
I only found out about this game the other day... I'd literally never heard of it before then. Is it really that bad? I haven't seen gameplay of it, but is it not just a weaker version of the original Super Mario Bros.? Either way, it's not something I'd look forward to ever playing.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

its awesome its like a mario level set with a few new features, yknow like The Lost Levels/SMB2J, except with a really terrible engine and bizarre level design
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

It was built for a couple of old 1980s style computers and runs really slow as a result. On the PC-88 version, the screen goes dark to load the next part every time you get to the right of it while on the Sharp X1 version, it scrolls once you reach the edge. In both versions, this means you don't have time to react to what's coming and can very easily drop right into a pit if you don't know the level layout!

In the meantime, I did a couple more tournaments in Mario Golf: World Tour since this was the last day you could do those particular ones.
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

I finally played shovel knight because the 3ds version is taking too long to come and it was getting too difficult to avoid spoilers

It's too bautifel i cry ;_;

Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Bwarch »

HE HAS SEEN THE LIGHT, and the light is good.
Eila

Post by Eila »

I have been playing Pokemon Y. It's pretty good, It's the first one I have really gotten into since Emerald I think.
metasomnia?
butts

Post by metasomnia? »

Grinding items for the Tournesol in FFXII is very boring. Also, Ultima Blade and Ensanguined Shield are great and why did I never find them before?

There's a lot of crap I never went after or found in my first playthrough, it's kind of staggering.
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

I suddenly had an urge to play a fps so I cookied til I got one... and got armorines for n64... let's see if this is better than that 007 game I played for the n64 earlier...
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend

Post by Bwarch »

pholtos wrote:I suddenly had an urge to play a fps so I cookied til I got one... and got armorines for n64... let's see if this is better than that 007 game I played for the n64 earlier...
Really should have just asked around for that one :P I recommend Serious Sam: The First Encounter to anybody and everybody who wants an actually good FPS since its design is actually good and took thought and effort.
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

*Looks through list*
Seems my only sam game is the third one.

The reason I don't just pick one is that by having it randomly give me one, I can try a game I'm unfamiliar with. Thus my choice here.

aaaand now it's time for first impressions!
"Why aren't I moving?"
"How do I shoot this thing staring me in the face? Oh the Z-Button! Of course!"
"Oh gah why is is the analog stick look around and the right joystick move!"

So basically I played for 5 minutes and decided to stop. Don't know if I like playing games with such convoluted controls. (Although I understand n64 shooters had the z-button as the shoot button, that isn't really a problem for me, it's the moving and looking.)
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Currently playing:

Euparkeria
Palaeontological Platformerer
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Euparkeria »

Aaughh everybody praises Shovel Knight while I wait for it to come to Wii U at some unspecified date. Come on, I want information to get my mind to rest!
Cool banner by Neutron Star!
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend

Post by Bwarch »

pholtos wrote:*Looks through list*
Seems my only sam game is the third one.
Aaaaand that's the bad one. First and second are good, third one jumped the gun and just ruined everything that was good about the first two without even thinking about it.
Zygl

Post by Zygl »

Euparkeria wrote:Aaughh everybody praises Shovel Knight while I wait for it to come to Wii U at some unspecified date. Come on, I want information to get my mind to rest!
"Some unspecified date" was a couple weeks ago.
Euparkeria
Palaeontological Platformerer

Post by Euparkeria »

Zyglrox Odyssey wrote: "Some unspecified date" was a couple weeks ago.
Not here in Europe.
Cool banner by Neutron Star!
Zygl

Post by Zygl »

Euparkeria wrote:
Zyglrox Odyssey wrote: "Some unspecified date" was a couple weeks ago.
Not here in Europe.
Uh what are you taking about Europe doesn't exist
(Sorry, didn't realize it wasn't out everywhere yet.)
HamsterZerg
True Pacifist or bust.
Location: Oh, don't mind me. I'm just contacting you from the distant past. Carry on.

Post by HamsterZerg »

I've been playing this recently. The colors of Kai's eyes, hair, and clothes kinda make him look like a male Flandre Scarlet, but he has a lot more character development throughout his appearances.
Given the plot of this game, one has to wonder what would've happened if Kai killed Zero or Zero killed Kai in the final battle of the original Elebits game.

Avatar by Skully (artwork) and bkamakaze (size). Thanks, guys!
Soma Cruz, Linkara, and Olimar for SMBX 2.0

Game King-style Story Briefs, a forum game by me
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Hi, I was playing Fantastic Game 1.fun, got all 16 dollaz

Even the one on top of the gallery that most people seem to miss, the one with slowed down Minna no Uta playing

I used the fantasticgamesecretz tumblr to find the teleporter to the gallery's rooftop, also the Solomon/STILL THE BEST etc etc cube, sorry if that's cheating or whatevs

It was truly fantastic, and I am looking forward to LOQTN, Boohbah Zone 3D and Fantastic 2.0
I wish to be fully immersed in the fantasticness

I'm also gonna play Fantabulous Game, since it's like the Secret of Evermore to Fantastic Game's Secret of Mana or something

(Yes I do watch Vinesauce, your point)

Also, yesterday I played the first two missions of Burning Rangers, it's p. great
SSF can't into ADX codecs, the cutscene audio turns into a stuttering mess a few seconds in
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

So Battalion Wars is pretty interesting. It's like... a cross between a third person shooter and a strategy game, where you are a guy who controls troops on the ground but also fights things yourself. All I've done is the tutorial level but I can see the potential in this.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Currently playing:

Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

I managed to get through the World Circuit in the original Punch-Out!! at long last. Learning how to dodge Mr. Sandman and Super Macho Man's super attacks were tough, but once I did, I managed to get the game beaten. That one was fun!
Sturg
Gets his freak on with VGM
First name: sturgyman

Post by Sturg »

Beat all BIT.TRIP.RUNNER levels on Normal so that feels pretty good. Totally not gonna Perfect the game since it's stupid difficult, although I did perfect the 1st three for some achievements. The game is pretty eh but you know.

Now I just need to finish up Pikmin 3 and Spyro 2, both amazing games.
ImageImage
Image ImageImage
RIP FISH NIPPLE BANNER
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

I beat Ninja Gaiden today!!!!!!!!!!

yay

I used a savestate to circumvent that 6-4 and 6-5 death glitch, though (the one where it kicks you back to 6-1 instead of 6-3 due to a wrong address in hex or something).

I'm sorry, but difficulty is one thing, glitches and programming errors are another.
Sorry if that's still cheating!

Rest assured, I avoided savescumming in stages and bosses.

In future playthroughs, I'll make sure to always beat the three end bosses without giving myself midpoints between each battle, now that I know their patterns. Jaquio's gonna give me the most issues, I bet (those annoying fireballs!).

The worst enemies? THE JETPACK NINJAS, OBVIOUSLY.

EDIT: Also, I beat Mission 3 in Burning Rangers. There are four in the game, plus a random level generator thing you get from beating them all once (and also a mandatory tutorial at the beginning of the game, how I loathe those).
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

I got some games at work today.
http://i.imgur.com/QvHmjiu.jpg
Got them all for $20.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

i have had ico/sotc for ps3 for a long time now and i still havent played them because for some reason gaming on anything but pc or 3ds barely happens for me
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

pholtos wrote:I suddenly had an urge to play a fps so I cookied til I got one... and got armorines for n64... let's see if this is better than that 007 game I played for the n64 earlier...
Do you mean GoldenEye or The World Is Not Enough? Because if you mean GoldenEye, why? Not liking GoldenEye is a very uncommon opinion, so I'd like to hear your reasoning behind that.
pholtos wrote:"Oh gah why is is the analog stick look around and the right joystick move!"
It's a different approach on how to do console FPS controls. Doom standardized what FPS controls should be, until Quake II standardized PC FPS controls as keyboard and mouse, and Timesplitters & Halo standardized console FPS controls as dual analog. Doom's controls were arrow keys for moving forwards and backwards, and turning left and right; and two more keys for strafing. You couldn't look up and down in Doom since the engine ignored the Z-axis for collision detection (which, as a useful sidenote, means that in one Doom 2 level you don't need to drop into blood to press a button, you can just press it from the ledge above if you stand close enough).

So, at that time, you had a situation where FPS games were starting to have a Z-axis and consoles could actually run FPS games without problems (see the console ports of Doom for just how many problems you can have). On PC, a control standard was quickly established for these new FPS games with Quake II, like I mentioned. On consoles, however, there was no standard, each dev had their own ideas, and the 64 controller is generally hard to design for. Rare and Midway both thought that they could translate the Doom controls to the 64 by making the analog stick the arrow keys substitute, although they disagreed on what the strafe buttons should be. Midway's game (Doom 64) didn't have a Z-axis though, so that made things simpler. It's also interesting that Rare's games had an aiming button: this is a legacy from the old, optional "mouselook" button from Doom 2, Ultimate Doom, Quake, and others, that remapped the mouse from an arrow key substitute to free aiming when pressed. Acclaim, on the other hand, invented the dual analog system: it's just that they made the C-buttons what the left stick is now, and the analog stick what the right stick is now, which didn't catch on outside of Acclaim games.

Basically, it took Timesplitters to invent dual analog controls in its modern setup, and Halo to use them and be extremely popular in its own right, for them to become the universal standard. Before then, expect oddness, like in any area of gaming that hasn't been standardized yet. Wolfenstein 3D, for example, had lives, game overs, and points, all of which sound bizarre for an FPS game these days. And don't forget that Super Mario Kart had lives and game overs too, which wouldn't be repeated in any other Mario Kart game.
Saturn Moriya

Post by Saturn Moriya »

KobaBeach wrote:I beat Ninja Gaiden today!!!!!!!!!!

yay

I used a savestate to circumvent that 6-4 and 6-5 death glitch, though (the one where it kicks you back to 6-1 instead of 6-3 due to a wrong address in hex or something).

I'm sorry, but difficulty is one thing, glitches and programming errors are another.
Sorry if that's still cheating!

Rest assured, I avoided savescumming in stages and bosses.

In future playthroughs, I'll make sure to always beat the three end bosses without giving myself midpoints between each battle, now that I know their patterns. Jaquio's gonna give me the most issues, I bet (those annoying fireballs!).

The worst enemies? THE JETPACK NINJAS, OBVIOUSLY.
Hah don't worry, Ninja Gaiden 1 is broken enough that you're allowed to make your own checkpoint rules.

If you ever play 2 though, you'll see why it's so much better in every way imaginable (unless you don't like clones or stage hazards). It still has a boss gauntlet that sends you back a bit, but when you beat a boss it stays dead. Beating the whole thing in one life is very difficult, because there are no cutscene health refills this time around, but it's extra rewarding, since the setbacks aren't endless, and having none is more special because of that...that doesn't make much sense. But it's true.

The birds are pretty harmful because they do 3 damage, but the jetpack ninja's always come in groups and fill the screen with projectiles, almost always throwing you into a pit. Though if you plan things out carefully, you can always use the tornado thing to get through the sections where they are at, which has been my tactic to nullify them. So then the birds are the biggest remaining problem.

Final boss gauntlet really is twice as hard as the rest of the game. Jaquio requires rushdown techniques where you know how to hit him alot without fail, while not getting hit by his body, because it does 3 damage, opposed to the fireballs' 1.

At least his hitbox is clear. 2 is much better game, but the Jaquio fight is more painful Imo, because it requires rushdown, but his hitbox is SO DUMB, which makes it very hard to hit him consistently. Just gotta hope you have enough subweapons to get through it.

Playing Shatterhand, Gradius and Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts. Shatterhand's really good and I'm trying to salvage a barely any deaths run. Gradius is the original arcade shooter that feels like a journey, while also still having arcade moneymaking design strategies. And since you only get one continue on the Saturn version, it's kinda hard to get places. Stage 4 is a wall.

SNES Ghouls 'n Ghosts is probably the best in the series (though Maldita Castilla is infinitely better) because it actually involves a bit of strategy, rather than it being a pure memorisation fest. Gonna try to do two loops at some point, but it takes an hour already to just get through half the game for now, and I can't play it that long without hating everything.

Your blood their blood serves the same!!