(shouting)

Favorite video game genres?

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
Lunikyuu
I forgot what I was going to put here after MaGL X3

Favorite video game genres?

Post by Lunikyuu »

I've always been partial to Platformers and RPGs and I've always felt like they would be the most interesting to design for. Platformers I like because I generally feel the level design is the most interesting to me, and they can be a fun challenge sometimes. RPGs I like because I like the feeling of taking part in a good story and they aren't usually as fast paced, so they're good to play when I'm burned out on more action based games. Also, I've always been somewhat of a numbers guy, so I find it interesting to look at stats for RPG enemies and such, which is one of the reasons I got into Paper Mario so much as kid.
ano0maly
Discord User

Re: Favorite video game genres?

Post by ano0maly »

Hmm... I'd say a platformer with a balance of action and puzzles. Not too heavy with precise micro-movements like I Wanna Be The Guy stuff, but I can handle intense and longer drawn-out levels if I am able to practice. Good practice can really go a long way; levels that are seemingly impossible marathons at first are surprisingly doable routines once I know what to do in each step of the level.

Mixing in some RPG elements can work too if it's done right. Pure RPG stuff is interesting in theory, but I usually can't quite get into it.

I also like finding trivial or cosmetic non-gameplay stuff in games, like collectibles/information. Later on I got interested in indie exploration games for this reason even though they may not involve much gameplay action, though I like doing this with other genres that aren't strictly exploration. However, I have trouble when those games don't give you any apparent sense of direction or goals; that's why I didn't really get Yume Nikki even though I've enjoyed a couple non-exploratory fangames of it.
Sorel
In the shadows
First name: Alexander
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Sorel »

I like a mix of everything
Former active member, yearly lurker now.
july
七月
First name: e!ɡa
Pronouns: she/her

Post by july »

I have something of a predilection for strategy-ish games. I played Age of Empires II a fair bit when I was younger, and Civilization IV at high school. I have a particular fondness nowadays for Paradox's games - Europa Universalis III and IV and Crusader Kings II especially. Never been particularly good at strategy games though. I also like city building simulation-y games - I played so much SimCity 2000 when I was younger, and so much SimCity 4.
I don't exactly limit myself to such games, but they're what I enjoy the most.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Platformers have generally been the games I do best at since they require little to no strategy and I can usually figure out how the game engine works and use that to my advantage.

I've been trying to branch out as of late and have started playing some JRPGs. I still find them kinda intimidating but I've been enjoying the ones I've played and they can been good games to help you relax. I also enjoy other types of RPGs like Dark Souls, Skyrim, etc.
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Post by YelseyKing »

RPGs are pretty much my first love, dating back to the NES era, when I first played Dragon Warrior and was blown away by how different it was from anything else I'd played. That is to say, JRPGs, however; I've had very little experience with western RPGs until recently, due to seemingly every one made in the 80s and 90s having strict adherence to D&D rules, which... don't always translate well to video games. (The whole "Defense = Evasion" thing comes to mind, mostly. It's *logical*, yes, but it just makes those games, at least in my eyes, degenerate into miss-fests as neither side can land a hit for several turns.) But they're definitely getting better, to the point where they're... well, they'll never truly replace the JRPG in my heart, but they're definitely just as good.

I also like platformers, especially Metroidvanias... though the only ones I feel do that genre *right* are, in fact, Castlevania and Metroid games. I've played many games of that "genre", mostly indie, which range from "almost capture that same feeling, but not *quite*" to "they took the worst parts of the genre and magnified them tenfold".

Those are my two *favorite* genres, but I'll also play the occasional shooter (no danmaku plz), adventure game, puzzle game, etc. One genre I want to get into is survival horror, but it feels like to give the games more "effect", the controls are as terrible as possible. Anyone know of any good survival horror games that *don't* have needlessly clunky controls?
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
Saturn Moriya

Post by Saturn Moriya »

My two favorite genres are JRPG's and 2D shooters. This goes hand in hand with my two favorite consoles being SNES and Saturn (though I also need to get into ps1 RPG's, and ps2/xbox 360 shooters).

Platformers/any sort of action sidescrollers are up there as well. Again, for now I've mostly been playing the ones on NES/SNES/Genesis, and I need to get more into stuff on later consoles. It's kinda hard to do so when there's so much good stuff everywhere.

One genre I want to get into is 2D fighters. They seem really interesting and envolved, but playing against the AI always seems kinda broken in a way. And I don't really have anyone to play with, so there's that. My favorite fighter of the four I've played is Darkstalkers 3.

Your blood their blood serves the same!!
Zygl

Post by Zygl »

Mostly 2D platformers. As far as difficulty, think world 9 of Super Marina World if you remember that particular romhack, that's pretty much exactly the ideal level of difficulty. Also it basically follows The Price Is Right rules, easier games are less fun but still perfectly alright, but beyond there everything very quickly becomes an unpleasant experience for everyone involved.
3D platformers are also okay but don't tend to interest me enough to replay them ever, RPGs are pretty great on the rare occasion that I actually play one, and I'm going to specifically mention roguelikes even though they're technically a subgenre of RPGs because literal impossibility aside they're the best subgenre of RPGs and the world needs more roguelike/[other game genre] crossovery sorts of things. (Yes I am aware that I need to play Spelunky.)
onpon4
Sharing is good.
First name: Julie

Post by onpon4 »

- I'm partial to complex adventure games. I just like how the story unfolds in these games when they're designed right. Favorites are King's Quest III, King's Quest VI, and The Ur-Quan Masters.

- Strategy games are fun. More than that, I love tactical games, since you don't have to worry about things like resource gathering and expansion and can instead focus on using what you have most effectively. Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any tactics games that I can and would play other than the Super Melee mode of The Ur-Quan Masters (which is a mix of tactics and action).

- I'm not aware of any that I would play, but I'm fond of fast-paced racing games. I also like other well-designed fast-paced games, like Torus Trooper Pure. I like these games more for the thrill than anything else, and because of this, audio (music selection and sound effects) is extremely important to me for these games.
Aposke
Banned

Post by Aposke »

I used to play a whole lot of games, especially FPSes and related things, but I've kinda moved away from that after I left highschool for some reason. Nowadays, I play mostly these 3 genres:

-Shooters, preferrably vertical ones (bonus points if it's Bullet Hell)
-Platformers, although I can't really name any coherent reason for why I like some and dislike others
-MUSIC GAMES
devil†zukin

Post by devil†zukin »

genres?

my game time has been split between two games for as long as i can remember

ST (ssf2t (FIGHTAN))

Osu! (RHYZHIM)

end of university crunch now though ~ going to play plenty of indies games and also make some, in which case I have fairly eclectic tastes
InsaneIntentions1
Skeleton
First name: Newsome

Post by InsaneIntentions1 »

Exploration games like Metroid, and Castlevania always give me so much fun
That crazy voice dude
Davybot

Post by Davybot »

Action platformers like Sonic or Meat Boy and some RPGs, like the Mario ones, are my main genres with a little FPS,aka mostly just valve games, and puzzle on the side
Sorel
In the shadows
First name: Alexander

Post by Sorel »

Ok, maybe I should tell some more details.

I play a lot of different genres, but I'm a bit picky about games. My favourite genre is rogue-like.
Former active member, yearly lurker now.
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

I've always liked good 2D platformers probably because my very first game was SMB3. I also really like T-RPGs as long as there's an actual tactical aspect to them, like Fire Emblem or Wesnoth

Euparkeria
Palaeontological Platformerer

Post by Euparkeria »

-Everything that qualifies as 2d platformer
-RPGs Mothers (tell me a game with similarities and I might consider playing it)

I'm boring.
Cool banner by Neutron Star!
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Action games in general, shoot 'em ups and RPGs.
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

2D platformers, JRPGs in the SNES/PS1/DS style, and action-adventure games are pretty fun.
Whimsical Calamari
i am the one that sings the chorus when you hum in the shower

Post by Whimsical Calamari »

Racing games of all kinds and platformers are what I mainly play, which leads to problems in my game design classes sometimes (as sometimes there are discussions based on familiarity with games, and I appear to be the only game dev major that doesn't mainly play RPGs, shooters, or fighting games). Specifically, I grew up on Sonic and Road Rash II. My favorite game of all time is Jet Moto 2. I also want to attempt an RTS at some point, but I'm not sure.

Conversely, I can't play first-person shooters or arcade fighting games because for some reason they break my brain.
ImageImage Image ImageImageImageImageImageImage
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

Anything non-3D-shooter/non-horror. Ugh.
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
HamsterZerg
True Pacifist or bust.
Location: Oh, don't mind me. I'm just contacting you from the distant past. Carry on.

Post by HamsterZerg »

Platformer RPGs, exploration platformers, and Mons series games.

Avatar by Skully (artwork) and bkamakaze (size). Thanks, guys!
Soma Cruz, Linkara, and Olimar for SMBX 2.0

Game King-style Story Briefs, a forum game by me
Lunikyuu
I forgot what I was going to put here after MaGL X3

Post by Lunikyuu »

Whimsical Calamari wrote:Racing games of all kinds and platformers are what I mainly play, which leads to problems in my game design classes sometimes (as sometimes there are discussions based on familiarity with games, and I appear to be the only game dev major that doesn't mainly play RPGs, shooters, or fighting games).
I had kind of a similar problem in my level design class as the engine we had to use was tailored mostly to FPSes and those are like the one genre I don't play, so I ended up not knowing what I was doing for most of the class and didn't really feel like I got much out of it (the teacher wasn't really that great either). Though apparently I did manage to make one decent (though rather large) level toward the end of the class.
ano0maly wrote:Good practice can really go a long way; levels that are seemingly impossible marathons at first are surprisingly doable routines once I know what to do in each step of the level.
This is another thing I like about platformers. It feels good when I have a hard level down to a pattern, still slightly frustrating due to it being a hard level and all, but I feel more calm and stop caring about my deaths as much.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

I can pretty much enjoy any game from any genre as long as it isn't from the extreme serious end of that genre. For example, I like relaxed racing games like Mario Kart, or even intense ones like F-Zero, but I'm incredibly terrible at super-serious ones with real-world cars and gear changing and a clutch button and all that. Well, I'm not very good at F-Zero GX either, but I still enjoy it. Similarly I like strategy points until they get super-deep like Europa Universalis and I lose all ability to play as I can't focus on that many things at once in the long-term so I can't plan.

I also dislike modern military FPS games because they go way too far in the opposite direction, with so little interactivity and freedom that it might as well be an FMV game. For that matter I don't like FMV games either. Older FPS games, made when the player was still given freedom, are good.

Pretty much anything else is good.
watho
:0
Pronouns: she/her

Post by watho »

I really enjoy Top-Down Shooters and ARPGs but there haven't been that many worthwhile ones lately.
Saturn Moriya

Post by Saturn Moriya »

watho wrote:I really enjoy Top-Down Shooters and ARPGs but there haven't been that many worthwhile ones lately.
Top-Down Shooters as in Shmups? Are you familiar with cave?

Your blood their blood serves the same!!