(shouting)

What games are you playing?

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
Cubewano

Re: What games are you playing?

Post by Cubewano »

Just started playing Half Life Opposing Force because Steam
http://buymybook@frauds.wav.avi.biz.co.uk
3DS friendcode: 2079-8183-3599

NOT a part of the Illuminati
InsaneIntentions1
Skeleton
First name: Newsome

Post by InsaneIntentions1 »

After finishing Tales of the Abyss (which was a good time waster while I didn't have internet) I've been playing 999
That crazy voice dude
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

opposing force and 999 are both amazing so enjoy
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

Ugh... 999... that game where you have to replay every scene and puzzle just to try a different combination of things that actually gives a different ending.
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
InsaneIntentions1
Skeleton
First name: Newsome

Post by InsaneIntentions1 »

You can fast forward through dialogue that you've already seen, pholtos
That crazy voice dude
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

Yeah you can fastforward it but I'd rather just skip it.
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Currently playing:

Leet

Post by Leet »

pholtos wrote:Ugh... 999... that game where you have to replay every scene and puzzle just to try a different combination of things that actually gives a different ending.
yeah thats called, playing the video game again. because thats how alternate endings in video games work.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

I'm talking like this because I played through the game like 5-6 times and only found like 3 endings and it sorta drove me crazy and I haven't touched the game since.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Currently playing:

Leet

Post by Leet »

heh tbh after finding the three bad endings i googled a spoiler-free guide on how to get the last two (technically listed as three but really its just two with one of them getting cut short if you havent seen the other one)
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Post by YelseyKing »

Still going through Super Mario Bros. 3Mix, as mentioned in the Request Grab Bag thread. I'm enjoying the hack overall, but it's far from without its faults.

The game has definitely improved over the first two worlds. Powerups are beginning to become more plentiful and varied. The Penguin Suit is my favorite so far; it's a modified Frog Suit with Ice Flower powers thrown in, and it's also fairly plentiful. Very useful.

First off, as observed in the preview videos, the stage design is still very basic. There are *lots* of rehashes of stages from other games in the series, few, if any, puzzles to deal with, few particularly demanding jumps or dangerous enemy placements... the game is honestly on the easy side. Perhaps even moreso than SMB3 itself. The star coins are generally very easy to find, not usually requiring you to go far out of your way or do anything particularly risky; in many cases, trying to go down every pipe is enough to sniff them out. That these pipes in question aren't marked in any way, though, means you literally *do* need to try them all.

Aesthetically, the game is also very weak. There are very few decorative background elements used in the stages, graphical glitches and cutoff everywhere, and questionable re-purposing of vanilla assets (the tops of the hill platforms were used to create SMB1-style "mushroom" platforms, which does not particularly look good, as one example). The world map design is similarly lazy, with, again, few decorative elements in place, and it looks, in several places, like the hacker just used the existing world maps and rearranged them slightly.

But that said, there are a lot of neat ASM gimmicks in place. There are mid-points, as well as secret areas in some stages. The addition of Yoshi, even if he's a bit glitchy (especially graphically) and, thus far, in only a single world (world 4), is definitely cool. The bosses, while also easy, have some interesting setups and strategies. I also like the "Minus World"-ish World 0, of which small parts can be accessed from a few secret routes along the main worlds, and I assume I'll be able to visit the world proper later.

Overall, there's definitely some neat stuff there, but SMB3Mix feels more like a concept/tech demo hack; something that *can* be done with the SMB3 engine, but which, itself, was not utilized in an especially good way. I hope the ASM hacks are released publically, as with them, and better level design and aesthetics, the possibilities are honestly endless.

Edit: Warning to future SMB3Mix players! Stage 7-6 has a broken, invisible midpoint. World 7 is based on Super Mario Galaxy, and has an inverse gravity gimmick. The midpoint in question is just before the pipe that leads to the last bit of the stage, in a reverse gravity section in which you're walking on a ceiling. If you die beyond this point, it respawns you just before the pipe, but without the inverted gravity, so you just fall and die. Or you hold right and somehow get dragged up into the ceiling, scrolled along the entire stage, and eventually... fall and die.
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
Euparkeria
Palaeontological Platformerer
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Euparkeria »

I'm playing Mega Man 9. I love the game so far. 5 levels are finished, and I haven't even tried special weapons against bosses. The weapons are great btw. It's pretty annoying that finished levels can't be exited on command. MMX and MM7 have that option, so would it ruin the "retro" feeling? I don't think so. Also with all the amazing music in this game, I'm disappointed with some tracks being straight from MM2. Is that there to please the nostalgia for MM2, as it seems to be "everyone's" favourite? It just seems wrong to reuse music like that, and the fact MM9's soundtrack is my favorite along with 3 and 4 makes me long for the new tunes they would have composed. Otherwise I think this might be my new favourite MM game. I like the challenges and the replay value they add.
Cool banner by Neutron Star!
Saturn Moriya

Post by Saturn Moriya »

Had to FAQ a thing for Dragon Quest 3. This has happened once or twice in DQ 1 and 2 as well, and I really wish it didn't. Turns out that one of the six orbs requires you to "wait" (walk around a bunch) until the town you helped create grows all the way. I might have come to this by myself eventually, but it would've taken hours of searching everywhere else, because leaving the dealer at the town is one of the last things I did.

So sad! I was so close to beating a DQ game without help. Also, why isn't there a orange orb? I was planning to make a rainbow :c

Your blood their blood serves the same!!
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

I wasn't able to do the Mermaid quest because I activated the Haunted Ship quest by accident by getting Hiraga to build the Leon Bridge.

WOOPS

But I did the Haunted Ship quest and beat Bokuohn as well!
Rapid Stream (the Privateer's formation) is broken as all hell, it made Bokuohn's special attack, Marionette (if he casts it on a character, any party member who attacks next, attacks said character) useless.

Bokuohn was easy as fuck. It helped that he was on his first form.

I'm saving Subier for later, since he's really easy as well (outside of Maelstrom).
No, I didn't fight the Master of Ocean, don't worry.

'Sides, I'm pretty sure Roy Angrym'n would kick my ass too, alongside Subier!
(Master of Ocean is practically a speaking narwhal)
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
YelseyKing

Post by YelseyKing »

KobaBeach wrote:Romancing SaGa 2!
You're really making me wish that Romancing SaGa 2 would get fan translated. Bastard hard though it may be, I've always wanted to try that game, because it actually sounds quite fun.

Moists:

pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

I've made it to what appears to be the final world of ape escape given how the plot has progressed. I've super enjoyed this game and is definitely in the top 5 in games I've played in ps1... which are like 5 games.

(Speaking of which I need to play Alundra again one of these days...)

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Currently playing:

KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

YelseyKing wrote:You're really making me wish that Romancing SaGa 2 would get fan translated. Bastard hard though it may be, I've always wanted to try that game, because it actually sounds quite fun.
Thankfully Gideon Zhi seems to actually be working on the title instead of simply dropping it silently, like I've heard Aeon Genesis tends to do.

Maybe it'll get a release in the near future (same with SMT If..., I am sure that there are a ton of peeps here who want that game too).

He did do a stream a while ago where he fixed a text error thing in a menu screen in Majin Tensei (can't remember what, but it's in his twitter). He asked people to vote on whether he would stream him fixing that, or patching up the name entry screen in RS2.

He also did show a pic of an early cutscene translated sometime ago.

He seems to have already inserted the font and translated the script, now it should be inserting the text, then testing and fixing stuff up. (the placeholder pic in the site with the Mana Sword RS3 patch font is very outdated, he has a better font now)

The Romancing SaGa trilogy is a huge mess of spaghetti code from what I heard, altering the cutscene text can break certain things, like tech sparking, event triggering, and so on.

I mean if the Ys V translation came out last year (and that one's been in development since 2011) maybe this one will come out too. Same with If.

Just gotta keep being positive and expect the best!!!

(sometimes I can be a huge pollyanna, sometimes I'm just depressed and expecting the worst, I'm so weird)

You may say I'm a fool~♪
Feeling the way that I do~♫
You can call me Pollyanna, say I'm crazy as a loon~♪
I believe in silver linings and that's why I believe in you~♫♥

(damn I gotta play through the MOTHER series sometime)
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
metasomnia?
butts

Post by metasomnia? »

KobaBeach wrote:(damn I gotta play through the MOTHER series sometime)
Please.
YelseyKing

Post by YelseyKing »

Just finished (and 100%'d) SMB3Mix. I've pretty much covered everything in my last couple posts, so I'll just say that the postgame was honestly more fun than I thought it'd be.

The final stage wasn't super impressive, but

a Megaman-style boss refight sequence

was entertaining, then the true final boss, who I was disappointed to discover was not actually Foroze, but was in fact

Count Bleck

. Dang. My hopes and dreams, dashed!

But I digress. Overall, pretty fun game, though there's plenty of room for improvement.
Last edited by YelseyKing 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Moists:

Zygl

Post by Zygl »

YelseyKing wrote:Just finished (and 100%'d) SMB3Mix. I've pretty much covered everything in my last couple posts, so I'll just say that the postgame was honestly more fun than I thought it'd be.

[spoilers]

was entertaining, then the true final boss, who I was disappointed to discover

[more spoilers]

But I digress. Overall, pretty fun game, though there's plenty of room for improvement.
Way to ruin the ending of a game I didn't actually intend to play at any point!
YelseyKing

Post by YelseyKing »

Zyglrox Odyssey wrote:
YelseyKing wrote:Just finished (and 100%'d) SMB3Mix. I've pretty much covered everything in my last couple posts, so I'll just say that the postgame was honestly more fun than I thought it'd be.

[spoilers]

was entertaining, then the true final boss, who I was disappointed to discover

[more spoilers]

Way to ruin the ending of a game I didn't actually intend to play at any point!
Heh. Didn't think spoilers for a ROM hack would be a big deal. I'll censor those. Sorry about that.

Moists:

pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

So I just beat up the final boss of ape escape. Hardest thing in the entire game was that

roller coaster ride in the last level

because of draw distances causing me to have little time to react to things that hit the thing I was riding on.

Going to 100% this before moving on, but man that last level was LONG!

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Currently playing:

Saturn Moriya

Post by Saturn Moriya »

KobaBeach wrote:Words regarding SNES rpg translations and Mother 1 vocal soundtracks
That all sounds kinda hopeful actually.

And yes you do, the Mother series has more charm than...things that have alot of charm.

Need to do a bit of grinding for DQ3 final boss, because it keeps 1-hit KO-ing me. At least Metabbles are super common in the final area, so it shouldn't take that long.
Last edited by Saturn Moriya 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Your blood their blood serves the same!!
Leet

Post by Leet »

i just want the GBA rocket slime translated :[
Sorel
In the shadows
First name: Alexander
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Sorel »

Daym the online mode in Mario Kart 8 sure is addicting. Maybe it's because I almost always rank #1.
Former active member, yearly lurker now.
Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Post by Rixithechao »

Leet wrote:i just want the GBA rocket slime translated :[
There's also a 3DS one that never made it stateside :(
Actually, now that I think about it, we never got Dragon Quest X, did we?
Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)