(shouting)

What games are you playing?

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Re: What games are you playing?

Post by pholtos »

Yeah what happened was both my camera controls and movement controls were set to the left analog stick. The camera controls were suppose to be set to the d-pad.

After actually starting the game up and playing a stage with correct controls setup the game looks pretty neat. The combination platforming and capturing seems to be a pretty good combo.
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

pholtos wrote:After actually starting the game up and playing a stage with correct controls setup the game looks pretty neat. The combination platforming and capturing seems to be a pretty good combo.
That's great!
Ape Escape looks to be an awesome game, hope you have fun with it!
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

So people are saying they like the battle system in FFX-2? I seriously cannot get used to this. I don't know what to do. You're supposed to be going through menus but you have no time to think cause while you're deciding what to do you're getting killed in the meantime. I don't even know what character I'm controlling when I'm in a menu. I just keep using attack and sometimes I see characters are running low on HP so I try to switch a character to white mage to heal them but that takes like 4 years so by the time you get there the character is dead so you use a Phoenix down and revive them and they have like 1 HP so an enemy just hits them again and they die so you waste like all your Phoenix downs just trying to do regular battles. I hate this live battle system.
Clamestarebla
Clamkind Arch-Highlord

Post by Clamestarebla »

Ape Escape is the best game on the PS1 IMO.
Train harder, run faster, be stronger, better, evolution never over.
Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Post by Rixithechao »

Ape Escape is an incredible game, but thanks to corrupted memory cards and the game bugging out upon catching the final monkey I had to play through it several times before I could finally fight Specter. Both the PS1 and PSP versions.

And dagnabbit, now I want to start a new playthrough.
Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
metasomnia?
butts

Post by metasomnia? »

Ashan wrote:So people are saying they like the battle system in FFX-2? I seriously cannot get used to this. I don't know what to do. You're supposed to be going through menus but you have no time to think cause while you're deciding what to do you're getting killed in the meantime. I don't even know what character I'm controlling when I'm in a menu. I just keep using attack and sometimes I see characters are running low on HP so I try to switch a character to white mage to heal them but that takes like 4 years so by the time you get there the character is dead so you use a Phoenix down and revive them and they have like 1 HP so an enemy just hits them again and they die so you waste like all your Phoenix downs just trying to do regular battles. I hate this live battle system.
It takes some time to get used to.

All I can say is practice going through menus and develop some situational awareness.

If you're really having trouble early game, I would suggest keeping one character in White Mage and spamming Pray every turn.
Zygl

Post by Zygl »

Ashan wrote:So people are saying they like the battle system in FFX-2? I seriously cannot get used to this. I don't know what to do. You're supposed to be going through menus but you have no time to think cause while you're deciding what to do you're getting killed in the meantime. I don't even know what character I'm controlling when I'm in a menu. I just keep using attack and sometimes I see characters are running low on HP so I try to switch a character to white mage to heal them but that takes like 4 years so by the time you get there the character is dead so you use a Phoenix down and revive them and they have like 1 HP so an enemy just hits them again and they die so you waste like all your Phoenix downs just trying to do regular battles. I hate this live battle system.
Was FFX your first game in the series or something? Because that's how every game from IV-IX works by default. Fortunately they have settings for this, you want to set the ATB mode to "Wait" and possibly lower the battle speed. No idea how Wait mode actually works, I've never felt inclined to use it myself, but it should help a bit.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

It was the first FF game I finished. I played like a super small amount of FF3 (DS version) and got pretty far into FFXIII which actually did have the loading system too but for some reason I was able to actually use it in that game. This game I have no idea what's going on ever. I think the difference with FFXIII is it let you chain together combos so once you told someone "do this" they would spend a bit of time doing that thing. In this game it's like "go attack" and they do a stupid little attack that takes a second and then you're sitting there getting beaten up on while trying to figure out what to do. It felt like FFXIII had more leeway for taking your time.

I could just be making this all up. I don't know, I'll spend more time with it.

In the mean time I went back to FFX to get some stuff done that I didn't get to do before. Dark Aeons are kinda ruining everything though. So I decided to do that stupid chocobo race. The first time I got 0 seconds it didn't give me the sun sigil for some reason so I had to do it again. That was fun.
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Post by YelseyKing »

I can see FFX-2's battle system being overwhelming to someone unfamiliar with the ATB system in general. If you haven't played any games from 4-9, it's easy to get overwhelmed, since X-2's is actually much faster-paced than any other game in the series. If you just can't get the hang of it, put it aside for now and give some of the earlier games in the series a try to get used to the ATB system at a more lenient pace.
Zyglrox Odyssey wrote:Was FFX your first game in the series or something? Because that's how every game from IV-IX works by default. Fortunately they have settings for this, you want to set the ATB mode to "Wait" and possibly lower the battle speed. No idea how Wait mode actually works, I've never felt inclined to use it myself, but it should help a bit.
Wait mode simply makes it so enemies don't take any turns while you're in magic, item, etc. menus. I don't believe it makes any other difference, though a few games allow you to raise/lower the "battle speed", which affects how often enemies get turns.
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

I might watch a let's play or something and that might help me get the feel for the game.
metasomnia?
butts

Post by metasomnia? »

Zyglrox Odyssey wrote: Wait mode......lower the battle speed.
Would you believe I actually forgot about this?
It's been so long since I went through the options in that game.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

I got Saints Row IV on sale and played that today.

My character is the best:
It was fun up until my friend who has completely beaten the game multiple times decided he was going to try and join without so much as even asking first. Playing the game with him would have ruined any fun for me because in this sort of game he's all business in co-op and on top of that I couldn't simply turn him down because he's one of my friends who tends to take it very personally when I do. So I had to finish what I was doing and just quit instead.
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

Yeah Ashan you could do wait mode if active mode is too hard to use. Also when it's your turn the person you are controlling should have some sort of highlight over their name.
Also if you'd like to see an example fight here's one.
Edit: Also, I'm about an hour in to mario and luigi: dream team... and let me tell you, it's fun.... but... does it really need to have this much hand-holding? Can't you let me figure things out on my own game? Gosh darn it!
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Currently playing:

Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

That's one of the two criticisms with Dream Team. That and something that happens much later in the game. Still, I loved it. Then again, I'm a Mario (Luigi) guy, so yeah.

Beat Chrono Trigger yesterday. Going to move on back to Mario Kart 8 for the time being now.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Bean wrote:Beat Chrono Trigger yesterday.
Oh, that's great! Congratulations!

Did you get the best ending?
Image Image
devil†zukin

Post by devil†zukin »

the one where

?
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

yes that one
Image Image
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Normal and developer endings, actually. I watched the rest on YT after the fact.
Saturn Moriya

Post by Saturn Moriya »

Just died to Orochi in DQ3 so now I'm gonna kill Orochi in Okami.

Your blood their blood serves the same!!
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Back to Mario Kart 8. Might throw in another short game or two into the mix along with it.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

FFX-2 isn't keeping my interest as much as I want it to.
I feel like I'm never making any progress. I'll keep at it but in the meantime I'll probably start a PS3 game alongside it.
I have a few options for games I've been meaning to play:
  • Demon's Souls
  • Fallout 3
  • FFXIII
  • Infamous
Don't know which one to start yet.
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Post by YelseyKing »

Ashan wrote:FFX-2 isn't keeping my interest as much as I want it to.
I feel like I'm never making any progress.
FFX-2 plays a lot more like a western RPG, where, although there *is* a central plot to follow, much of the game is open-ended and is based more on exploration, doing side-quests, that sort of thing. It's definitely a bit jarring after the very straight-forward, plot-driven, FF10, I'll grant that. But no one says you *have* to play it. Sounds like you have several other games on backlog, so there's no shame in just setting it aside for a while.

In my own experience, I actually had FFX-2 for almost a full *decade* before I actually *finally* decided to try it after randomly deciding to read up on various aspects of it on the Final Fantasy Wiki.
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

I don't often feel this way about a game in this era but gosh darn it ape escape is a good game. I still feel silly looking at their tiny mouths that aren't in tune with the voices but that's a miniscule thing for a game about platforming.

The professor does have glorious facial hair however.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Currently playing:

Ashan

Post by Ashan »

I decided to start inFamous.
It's pretty fun. The overall game feels SUPER a lot like the Spiderman 2 game, and I loved that game.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Hey~

Restarted Romancing SaGa 2 some days ago out of boredom~
Beat the Hive Queen legit~

I grinded for techs~ (also grinded a bit of JP to get the Magic Research Center)

My ♀ Light Infantry had a tech that had a large chance of stunning the enemy, my ♀ Free Fighter had an tech that did 500+ HP, everyone had large amounts of WP, and I was using the formation you get by choosing a Privateer as your emperor (which seems to boost your character's agility, not sure?).

It took a few attempts, but I made it!!

I wasn't able to do the pirates quest because I skipped a generation earlier than usual due to grinding (it wasn't a big loss, though), so I did the Garon quest in the earlygame, and got myself the Privateer class, ahaha~

My emperor was Enrique, named after Enrique de Malaca!
And now I picked a ♂ Holy Order, Paul, named after St. Paul!

Love this series~
YelseyKing wrote:FFX-2 plays a lot more like a western RPG, where, although there *is* a central plot to follow, much of the game is open-ended and is based more on exploration, doing side-quests, that sort of thing.
Guess that's another game I'll be playing in the future.

I also should start playing some WRPGs, they look really interesting! Maybe Ultima IV or Fallout 1?

(I haven't played Ninja Gaiden in a while, need to get around to that)
Image Image