(shouting)

A Second Mario Thing: free alex

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
MrDeePay

Re: A Second Mario Thing: chock full of ok levels

Post by MrDeePay »

anonymousbl00dlust wrote:
Ditocoaf wrote:
alex2 wrote:this is precisely why the disclaimer in my sig exists
Warning: Opinions expressed by alex2 or others in this post do not necessarily reflect the views, opinions, or position of alex2 himself on the matter(s) being discussed therein.
So some opinions expressed your posts are just... orphaned ideas, belonging all to nobody, floating from void, untethered from reality?

A beautifully chaotic phenomenon.
alex2 is just S.N.N.'s troll account.
Nope, Absent Ministrator is.
anonymousbl00dlust

Post by anonymousbl00dlust »

AUS wrote:
anonymousbl00dlust wrote:So either past-cow liked that kind of level, or past-cow made a level that he himself found annoying.
The latter. raocow's ability to fully create and submit levels he himself would have no fun playing is one of his character traits.
Fun fact: I got to see the first level he ever created back when the kaizo colab was still a thing. 3 sublevels of swimming through 64-pixel-wide muncher tunnels. And an eerie generator.

I was so pleased.

EDIT: I actually may have it laying around somewhere, if people wanna see it. Granted, raocow has to be okay with me distributing it.
Last edited by anonymousbl00dlust 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
alex2 wrote:It's all a matter of taste.
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by AUS »

^lolwhat
how hostile out of nowhere of you, alex
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
anonymousbl00dlust

alex2 wrote:I bet you jerk off to that memory every night

we get it. you knew raocow before anyone. drop it!!
you are a strange person.
leod
Be careful when including any personal details.
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by leod »

raocows mom here

fun fact: i got to smell the first turd he ever pooped back when he still wore diapers. 3 hours of cleaning his 4-inch-wide dirt star. and he peed on my face.

I was so pleased.
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Bwarch »

Pretty low mang. You're certainly not making your own thread a pleasant one.
anonymousbl00dlust

leod wrote:I was so pleased.
I said that tongue in cheek, not dick in mouth.

If thats how you want to picture it though, go ahead. whatever gets you off.
Unaniem
Desperately trying to figure out just what the hell
First name: Tree

Post by Unaniem »

Bwarch wrote:

Pretty low mang. You're certainly not making your own thread a pleasant one.
I don't know about you but alex's been giving me some of the best smiles lately.
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

Props to anonymousbloodlust for managing to respond to madlex2 with something else than "fuck off"

morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

Well, to get the chest, doing the balloon run perfectly leaves you one tile short, however there is an invisible (!!!) balloon block to help you out:
a2mt_00000.png
dont wanna jihad no more
memnarch

Post by memnarch »

morsel/morceau wrote:Well, to get the chest, doing the balloon run perfectly leaves you one tile short, however there is an invisible (!!!) balloon block to help you out:
a2mt_00000.png
Well that's just rude. I guess the chests are supposed to be secret/hard to get though.
Same person from Giantitp.com

(pronounced mem-nark)
AUS
Toni#4796

Post by AUS »

Invisible balloon block. ... ... HAH!
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
anonymousbl00dlust

That is dumb and otherwise not good.
The Doctor

Post by The Doctor »

Well, I'll just say that hopefully the Talkhaus community realizes from this LP just how important quality control is and that the failure of A2MT will prevent similar fates from happening to future collabs like AZCT and, god willing, A3MBXT.
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned
First name: Stephen

Post by Septentrion Pleiades »

The Doctor wrote:Well, I'll just say that hopefully the Talkhaus community realizes from this LP just how important quality control is and that the failure of A2MT will prevent similar fates from happening to future collabs like AZCT and, god willing, A3MBXT.
I'm sure we've already learned a couple things in the last 4 years.
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend

Post by Bwarch »

Septentrion Pleiades wrote:
The Doctor wrote:Well, I'll just say that hopefully the Talkhaus community realizes from this LP just how important quality control is and that the failure of A2MT will prevent similar fates from happening to future collabs like AZCT and, god willing, A3MBXT.
I'm sure we've already learned a couple things in the last 4 years.
Yeah like, it's been said already but a lot of the things wrong with A2MT heavily deal with time. You had level authors who were still learning, first and foremost. Fireyblaze and raocow for example, just as recent examples, have made far better levels since what they submitted to this.

Similarly of course is that after seeing how this hack ended up management and QA will probably be concentrated on if A3MT comes to be a thing. (Heh heh)
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Pheonix wrote:Can someone explain to me why, despite the overworld being designed after the majority of the levels were 'done', there's still all these ridiculous difficulty spikes? I mean sure, the level today skips a bunch of skyworld, but that doesn't mean it has to be a spike-filled piece of garbage.
Actually the reason is as opposed to asmt where the overworld was made beforehand, we let people make any level they wanted in a2mt and made the overworld after it, so there wasn't balancing of themes and stuff.
Fireyblaze

Post by Fireyblaze »

Bwarch wrote:Fireyblaze and raocow for example, just as recent examples, have made far better levels since what they submitted to this.
I'm just going to come out and say this. This level is made this way on purpose. It isn't because I'm bad although, you can say that I'm a bad designer because of this and that would be your opinion. I made this level because I wanted a level that looked like it was happy and sunshine but secretly hated you can wants you to die at every turn.

I'm not offended by the term "youtube level" either. I think that it takes some interesting thought processes to create the traps and tricks that liter the level. I made the level give you a feeling of "Now what do I do?" Most levels I see put the solution right in your face and it really doesn't take much effort to figure it out.

I'm not blaming them, but I think that my level might have been better placed a little further in the hack. I know that my level is hard. I know it is stupid. It is supposed to be that way.
anonymousbl00dlust wrote: Fun fact: I got to see the first level he ever created back when the kaizo colab was still a thing. 3 sublevels of swimming through 64-pixel-wide muncher tunnels. And an eerie generator.

I was so pleased.

EDIT: I actually may have it laying around somewhere, if people wanna see it. Granted, raocow has to be okay with me distributing it.
I think you might want to ask me for permission? You can go ahead if you really wish. I don't remember it very well myself.
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend

Post by Bwarch »

Duuuuuude.
Talkhaus Difficulty(TM) is alive and thriving well enough without you making a level stupidly hard on purpose.

So let me guess you actually wouldn't change a thing about it if you had the chance to?
AUS
Toni#4796

Post by AUS »

Fireyblaze wrote:I think you might want to ask me for permission? You can go ahead if you really wish. I don't remember it very well myself.
Were you involved in that too? He was talking about raocow I'm p'sure.
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
anonymousbl00dlust

Fieryblaze wrote:words
The thing is that you can "hide the solution" in a good way, or you can hide it in a bad way. Some of the ideas in the level were really neat, like the re-use of the springboard. But the invisible tofu blocks and the silly treasure chest at the end weren't clever- they just added in difficulty for the sake of difficulty. Had those bits been removed, none of the design complexity would have been lost.

I don't think you are a bad designer, or that the level was bad. I just think that some of the obstacles were hard without introducing anything new. And if you are going to put difficulty in your level, it better be there for a reason.
Fireyblaze

Post by Fireyblaze »

AUS wrote:
Fireyblaze wrote:I think you might want to ask me for permission? You can go ahead if you really wish. I don't remember it very well myself.
Were you involved in that too? He was talking about raocow I'm p'sure.
Well, I was involved with one. I'm just stupid. My mistake. I'm just so egotistical that I think everything is about me.
Fireyblaze

Post by Fireyblaze »

Bwarch wrote:Duuuuuude.
Talkhaus Difficulty(TM) is alive and thriving well enough without you making a level stupidly hard on purpose.

So let me guess you actually wouldn't change a thing about it if you had the chance to?
anonymousbl00dlust wrote:
Fieryblaze wrote:words
The thing is that you can "hide the solution" in a good way, or you can hide it in a bad way. Some of the ideas in the level were really neat, like the re-use of the springboard. But the invisible tofu blocks and the silly treasure chest at the end weren't clever- they just added in difficulty for the sake of difficulty. Had those bits been removed, none of the design complexity would have been lost.

I don't think you are a bad designer, or that the level was bad. I just think that some of the obstacles were hard without introducing anything new. And if you are going to put difficulty in your level, it better be there for a reason.
Yeah, I could have probably removed some of the invisible tofu blocks, but I wouldn't remove them when it comes to the Parrot coin. I mean, if you see a parrot coin, and you actively look for a way to get it, you will find the tofu blocks. Plus, if you look at the other side of the structure, there are tofu block. Since the structure is symmetrical otherwise, you can guess there are invisible blocks there.

I probably did drop the ball on the chest though. I mean, they said "make the chest hard to get." Like someone pointed out though, it did have a open spot that could indicate something being there. Maybe if I replaced the blank graphic with a coin, it would have been more obvious.

I could have taken out some of the baseball chucks and lava lotuses because seeing it now, it looks harder than it should have been. Those are some places that the difficulty didn't need to be introduced. Other than that, I probably wouldn't have changed anything. I tested it thoroughly without tools and every jump, trap, and trick was possible to do without taking a hit.
The Doctor

Post by The Doctor »

Fireyblaze wrote:I tested it thoroughly without tools and every jump, trap, and trick was possible to do without taking a hit.
Right. Because you designed the level. You knew what to do. You said you designed this level so that the player would have to figure out what to do, but you never experienced that during your testing.

The problem with your level isn't that it was difficult. Difficult is awesome. It's that you designed a level that required experimentation, but severely punished the players when they experimented. It was tedious and unfair; not overly difficult.
MrDeePay

Post by MrDeePay »

It's very much possible to make an "innocent looking level" be difficult without it being a crappy level. You did not do that.